Cache maggot arrested.

Y'Know, CR... I never really looked at it that way. Thanks for opening my eyes, buddy!

Hey, no problem there, old Sock. You've really gave me some things to think about as well.

wowie kazowie!

(BTW, have I mentioned: US Geocacher of the Year 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008?)

I love you guys!

Check out this post from the other thread.

We just returned from court. The DA would not accept the deal Repak's lawyer was trying to make (don't know what the deal was), so he has to return to court on April 16th for a pretrial and motions. Originally Repak was charged with two things. The DA needs to talk to the arresting officer because there is a discrepancy with the supporting depositions. Two depositions were given by me and in one of them, it doesn't state his name so the lawyer is trying use that to get one set of charges thrown out. On the 16th that will be decided and then a court date could be set for the other charges. So if you have any other pertinent information, or come across any, send it to the DA asap.

This thread should have been left locked.

We just returned from court. The DA would not accept the deal Repak's lawyer was trying to make (don't know what the deal was), so he has to return to court on April 16th for a pretrial and motions. Originally Repak was charged with two things. The DA needs to talk to the arresting officer because there is a discrepancy with the supporting depositions. Two depositions were given by me and in one of them, it doesn't state his name so the lawyer is trying use that to get one set of charges thrown out. On the 16th that will be decided and then a court date could be set for the other charges. So if you have any other pertinent information, or come across any, send it to the DA asap.

That post, and the ensuing conversation, is why this thread was unlocked.

If I wasn't enjoying reading the posts on this thread (for a few different reasons, including the surprising LOLs to a few comments) I wouldn't be reading it. My sympathies to anyone out there being forced to read this against their own wishes.

That would certainly be an unusual punishment, but would it also be unconstitutionally cruel as well?

Res ipsa loquitur.

I was surprised that this thread was unlocked since you, the thread starter, requested it be closed.

I was surprised that this thread was unlocked since you, the thread starter, requested it be closed.

I believe there is a point in which threads no longer become the property of the Original Poster and become property of the Forum community. I am sure there is a link someone could share.

As far as this thread, this thread was reopened so folks could discuss the incident, prosecution, persecution and maybe a little speculation. The other thread is reserved for factual reports and direct observations.

My apologies to the OP, but this thread has become the place for all the side discussions.

If the thread became property of the forum community, then why was it locked in the first place?

Nothing has really changed since it was locked. It's still a heaping pile of mess.

I agree. Nothing is any different than before it was locked. So I say it again. This thread should never have been unlocked.

And I think the mods should respect the request.

If they want to allow someone to open a new thread, that's fine.

Hopefully the new thread would carry with it a different tone. And, it would give the mods an opportunity to steer it closer to on-topic than this one.

I very well understand that since you started this thread with a completely different reason in mind that you would not want this continued back and forth to be associated with your name.

But I guess since it belongs to the forum community then maybe the mods could be kind enough to remove your name as the OP and insert "Forum Community". :P

No threads 'belong to the OP'. They all live a life of their own just as soon as they are created. If someone didn't wish to be associated with a direction that a particular thread has taken, all he/she has to do is refrain from making new posts.

Well, oddly enough I have always been under the impression that if a thread I started was derailed and turned into something completely different than what was intended that as the OP I could have the thread closed.

It is good to know now though that as a thread starter I have absolutely no rights once I start a thread.

No threads 'belong to the OP'. They all live a life of their own just as soon as they are created. If someone didn't wish to be associated with a direction that a particular thread has taken, all he/she has to do is refrain from making new posts.

Well, oddly enough I have always been under the impression that if a thread I started was derailed and turned into something completely different than what was intended that as the OP I could have the thread closed.

It is good to know now though that as a thread starter I have absolutely no rights once I start a thread.

People use the word 'rights' in really funny ways.

Well I guess shoving all the crap under the bed is one way to keep the room clean.

It's more like letting the kids leave their toys scattered all over the bonus room rather than having them junk up rooms that have an actual purpose.

No, it's more like letting the mess build up in the living room then abandoning that room and calling it the "bonus room" after the fact.

Well I guess shoving all the crap under the bed is one way to keep the room clean.

It's more like letting the kids leave their toys scattered all over the bonus room rather than having them junk up rooms that have an actual purpose.

No, it's more like letting the mess build up in the living room then abandoning that room and calling it the "bonus room" after the fact.

"Well, Ma... I guess its about time we start thinkin' 'bout addin' another room. This'un's gettin' a mite full of stuff." :P

Let's put it another way.

Until posters started abusing the "ability" to reopen threads closed by mods, we had the "ability" to close threads we started.

After the close button was removed we were told to just contact a mod to have the thread closed. Though we had to get a mod involved, it was still assumed we had the "ability" to close threads we start.

We were told the only reason we did not have the "ability" to close our threads was because they had no way of separating the close from the reopen since they don't write the forum software.

But now it has been cleared up that we no longer have that "ability". I'm fine with that. It's just nice to know before starting a thread.

Mods most definitely have the "ability" to keep any room they want cleared of junk. They don't have to unlock the door to the basement in order to keep the living room clean.

Until posters started abusing the "ability" to reopen threads closed by mods, we had the "ability" to close threads we started.

After the close button was removed we were told to just contact a mod to have the thread closed. Though we had to get a mod involved, it was still assumed we had the "ability" to close threads we start.

We were told the only reason we did not have the "ability" to close our threads was because they had no way of separating the close from the reopen since they don't write the forum software.

But now it has been cleared up that we no longer have that "ability". I'm fine with that. It's just nice to know before starting a thread.

It's not your thread. It's not your forum. It's not your website.

Where, exactly, is your dog in this fight?

:P

"Well, Ma... I guess its about time we start thinkin' 'bout addin' another room. This'un's gettin' a mite full of stuff." :P

That's more like it.

The thing is, as long as this topic was locked, it has been off the front pages for quite a while.

If they were to allow someone else to open a new thread, then not only would it not bring back up a lot of the nonsense that was posted previously in this thread, it would allow them to keep the new topic more ON topic.

Keep in mind that this thread doesn't just contain the bantering back and forth about how much something must be worth before action is taken. It also contains all the stuff about encouraging physical retribution upon Repak and a lot of other stuff that was better left on page 15.

This thread should have been left closed. The OP has requested it 3 times now.

If someone feels the need to discuss the nuances of this case, that is fine. In fact, the value of an item versus the prosecution for stealing it is a worthy topic. But that discussion would be better suited in it's own thread where that is the actual topic of the thread.

We still have that ability. We just aren't the sole arbiter of when a thread gets closed. Sometimes, threads will get closed before we want. Sometimes, they won't get closed when we want them to.

That's life when you play in somebody else's sandbox.

My dog in this fight comes from others coming in here and reading that some of us would like to cause physical harm to people that we feel have wronged us.

My dog in this fight is feeling that if I start a thread that I should have no expectation that it will stay on topic. And if it does go off topic, that I do not have the "ability" to have it closed.

My dog in this fight is seeing an OP repeatedly request that the thread he started and seeing that request denied. If it can happen to him, it can happen to me.

But really most of all, my dog in this fight is that this particular thread is a black eye on an activity which I participate in.

My dog in this fight comes from others coming in here and reading that some of us would like to cause physical harm to people that we feel have wronged us.

My dog in this fight is feeling that if I start a thread that I should have no expectation that it will stay on topic. And if it does go off topic, that I do not have the "ability" to have it closed.

My dog in this fight is seeing an OP repeatedly request that the thread he started and seeing that request denied. If it can happen to him, it can happen to me.

But really most of all, my dog in this fight is that this particular thread is a black eye on an activity which I participate in.

I'm as much of a champion of this game as anyone, but I don't believe that it serves our purpose to hide our dirty laundrey. Therefore, I reject the notion that threads should be closed simply because bad acts are discussed. This is especially true when the very thread documents that most find these bad acts to be reprehensible.

I'm as much of a champion of this game as anyone, but I don't believe that it serves our purpose to hide our dirty laundrey. Therefore, I reject the notion that threads should be closed simply because bad acts are discussed. This is especially true when the very thread documents that most find these bad acts to be reprehensible.

It's not so much the closing as the reopening that is really the problem.

The thread was closed because it got completely out of hand.

It was reopened simply to keep people from posting off-topic in the other thread.

It would have been more appropriate to allow you or anyone else open a new thread to discuss how much dollar value should be assigned before prosecution would occur.

While that discussion has merit, it is really off topic to this thread. The "other" thread is actually the only one on-topic to this thread. Since it is still open, there was no reason to reopen this one. The mods could simply do as they have been doing and make it very clear that only reports of what's going on in the case would be allowed in that thread.

Then if someone wants to talk about dollar values, open a thread. If someone wants to talk about retribution, open a thread. But this thread has forked so many times that has outlived its usefulness and only serves to bring attention to quite a few things that should have been stopped in the first place.

It's not your thread.

Dude. This thread is your thread. This thread is my thread. From California, to the New York Island. From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters... this thread is owned by you and me.

Actually, it may belong to you and me, but it's under the direct supervision of Groundspeak. :P

It's not uncommon for threads to be closed for a time to put a chilling affect on the angst. In my opinion, that worked perfectly with this thread since the drama that you referred to in your last post hasn't come back. In fact, there's been very little actual angst since the thread was reopened.

It's not so much the closing as the reopening that is really the problem.

The thread was closed because it got completely out of hand.

It was reopened simply to keep people from posting off-topic in the other thread.

It would have been more appropriate to allow you or anyone else open a new thread to discuss how much dollar value should be assigned before prosecution would occur.

While that discussion has merit, it is really off topic to this thread. The "other" thread is actually the only one on-topic to this thread. Since it is still open, there was no reason to reopen this one. The mods could simply do as they have been doing and make it very clear that only reports of what's going on in the case would be allowed in that thread.

Then if someone wants to talk about dollar values, open a thread. If someone wants to talk about retribution, open a thread. But this thread has forked so many times that has outlived its usefulness and only serves to bring attention to quite a few things that should have been stopped in the first place.

Everything you wrote in the above quote is off topic. YOU are posting off-topic comments in the thread, and bumping it to the top of the list. As long as you keep replying, you are only contributing to the noise.

Everything you wrote in the above quote is off topic. YOU are posting off-topic comments in the thread, and bumping it to the top of the list. As long as you keep replying, you are only contributing to the noise.

So is the OP when he posts stating that the thread should be locked. Since this entire thread has been off-topic for quite some time now, then off-topic is now the only thing on-topic. :P

That's more like it.

The thing is, as long as this topic was locked, it has been off the front pages for quite a while.

If they were to allow someone else to open a new thread, then not only would it not bring back up a lot of the nonsense that was posted previously in this thread, it would allow them to keep the new topic more ON topic.

Keep in mind that this thread doesn't just contain the bantering back and forth about how much something must be worth before action is taken. It also contains all the stuff about encouraging physical retribution upon Repak and a lot of other stuff that was better left on page 15.

This thread should have been left closed. The OP has requested it 3 times now.

If someone feels the need to discuss the nuances of this case, that is fine. In fact, the value of an item versus the prosecution for stealing it is a worthy topic. But that discussion would be better suited in it's own thread where that is the actual topic of the thread.

This thread was reopened at my suggestion, because the more serious thread that was opened about Repak after this one had gotten so cluttered was itself starting to get cluttered with stupid and senseless comments about the case. So yeah, this was re-opened as the junk room.

On the other hand, it has now morphed to the subject of who and why threads can be closed, and is no longer even remotely about the Paul Repak case.

1. this latest discussion about the scope, content, and expectations we have when starting and participating in forum topics is certainly one that could stand alone as its own topic.

2. I don't care if it continues to exist in this thread, since this thread is a bit fuzzy around the edges anyway.

3. I also would not mind if this thread were relocated to the "off topic" section if that is possible, but I do prefer it be left open wherever it is placed.

1. this latest discussion about the scope, content, and expectations we have when starting and participating in forum topics is certainly one that could stand alone as its own topic.

2. I don't care if it continues to exist in this thread, since this thread is a bit fuzzy around the edges anyway.

3. I also would not mind if this thread were relocated to the "off topic" section if that is possible, but I do prefer it be left open wherever it is placed.

If I recall the Moderator did not move it to Off Topic because a number of participants are not (yet) Premium Members (tsk tsk!)

That's why they build double wides.

I don't mean to step on toes, but being a victim of a Geo-Maggot, who took it upon themselves to remove and destroy several geocaches in the Torrington, Connecticut area a few years ago. I would like to see exactly what the outcome of this trial will be.

A few years ago, we had several geocaches stolen from various sites, and the thief actually generated themselves a account here on Geocaching.com... They used the account to locate, then steal, and destroy roughly 4 (out of 7) caches, then had the nerve to log on here, and brag that 'You have been Geo-Muggled by the Cache-Theif". (exact name they used here.) Sure enough, 4 of the caches listed as found by the party, were missing. One of the cache owners queried the person back as to why they did it? The ONLY reply that cacher got, was a lint to the 'Ethics' of the Leave No Trace.org website. Now, mind you, I understand LNT's ethics very well, and agree with them. Except, this 'thief" (or, Theif, as they spelled it.) decided not only were caches in parks, and baseball parks open game, but urban as well. (two of the 4, were in parking lots.. One, inside a 'free' paper box, the other (mine) an LPC in the middle of a shopping parkade.) ) lost, were not only the caches, but 3 well traveled Geocoins & TB's. Never to be seen again.

I understand, they didn't want to get involved, so Geocaching.com simply locked-out the thief's account. It still left the door open, for the thief to simply re-open a new account if they desired.

I, for one, would like the outcome of this case made publicly known to the national news, because this is a recreational game. We keep plugging getting "out and enjoying the world, instead of being cooped up inside," and this thief of the cache, Even if it was only a magnetic key holder, is just another 'muggle' in the truest sense. (non-believer, non-player, etc.) But get the word out, that there are people who do enjoy this game. Stop Ruining it! Better yet, Join in the fun! get a GPSr and get out and see the world!

Okay.. stepping off the soap box.

I don't mean to step on toes, but being a victim of a Geo-Maggot, who took it upon themselves to remove and destroy several geocaches in the Torrington, Connecticut area a few years ago. I would like to see exactly what the outcome of this trial will be.

A few years ago, we had several geocaches stolen from various sites, and the thief actually generated themselves a account here on Geocaching.com... They used the account to locate, then steal, and destroy roughly 4 (out of 7) caches, then had the nerve to log on here, and brag that 'You have been Geo-Muggled by the Cache-Theif". (exact name they used here.) Sure enough, 4 of the caches listed as found by the party, were missing. One of the cache owners queried the person back as to why they did it? The ONLY reply that cacher got, was a lint to the 'Ethics' of the Leave No Trace.org website. Now, mind you, I understand LNT's ethics very well, and agree with them. Except, this 'thief" (or, Theif, as they spelled it.) decided not only were caches in parks, and baseball parks open game, but urban as well. (two of the 4, were in parking lots.. One, inside a 'free' paper box, the other (mine) an LPC in the middle of a shopping parkade.) ) lost, were not only the caches, but 3 well traveled Geocoins & TB's. Never to be seen again.

I understand, they didn't want to get involved, so Geocaching.com simply locked-out the thief's account. It still left the door open, for the thief to simply re-open a new account if they desired.

I, for one, would like the outcome of this case made publicly known to the national news, because this is a recreational game. We keep plugging getting "out and enjoying the world, instead of being cooped up inside," and this thief of the cache, Even if it was only a magnetic key holder, is just another 'muggle' in the truest sense. (non-believer, non-player, etc.) But get the word out, that there are people who do enjoy this game. Stop Ruining it! Better yet, Join in the fun! get a GPSr and get out and see the world!

Okay.. stepping off the soap box.

This thread has the outcome in it (towards the end of page 1). It is much easier to sift through for actual information about the case than this one is.

Edited by Chumpo

The outcome is that if he is not caught doing something similar for the next 6 months, then it' as if it never happened. The slate is wiped clean.

The outcome is that if he is not caught doing something similar for the next 6 months, then it' as if it never happened. The slate is wiped clean.

And everyone now has access to where he lives and where he works (assuming his job is still there).

And everyone now has access to where he lives and where he works (assuming his job is still there).

Why must we keep up the veiled encouragements to commit physical retribution against this guy?

Oh well, it's a community owned thread. Why the heck not?

Why must we keep up the veiled encouragements to commit physical retribution against this guy?

Oh well, it's a community owned thread. Why the heck not?

Where YOU see a veiled encouragement, I SAID we know where he lives and works.

As i said in another thread. I try to say exactly what I mean.

Now, if Paul Repak reads what I wrote, I am sure he will be reminded that we know who he is, where he lives and where he works. If this is enough of a motivation to stay on the good side of geocachers, so be it.

I am not encouraging any retribution against anyone. Please try to refrain from putting words in my mouth. They aren't tasty.

Now, if Paul Repak reads what I wrote, I am sure he will be reminded that we know who he is, where he lives and where he works. If this is enough of a motivation to stay on the good side of geocachers, so be it.

If this isn't encouragement, I don't know what is...

I am not encouraging any retribution against anyone. Please try to refrain from putting words in my mouth. They aren't tasty.

Yeah...sure, you're not. It's pretty common knowledge that you'd have no problem with vigilante "justice" against this guy.

:laughing:

It's not your thread.

Dude. This thread is your thread. This thread is my thread. From California, to the New York Island. From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters... this thread is owned by you and me.

Actually, the thread is the property of Groundspeak. They own/lease the equipment the site is on, they control access (sign in), and they have the power to pull the plug when they desire. You voluntarily come to the site to read and post, a site they provide for the convenience of players as a way to promote a game that powers their own economy.

If this isn't encouragement, I don't know what is...

Yeah...sure, you're not. It's pretty common knowledge that you'd have no problem with vigilante "justice" against this guy.

:laughing:

Again, people try to twist my words.

It's like an ice cream cone. I would have no problem with the ice cream falling on the ground but that's not the same as encouraging the ice cream to hit the ground. Heck, I might even say "It looks like thatice cream is going to fall of tha cone, lets watch". Again, it's not encouraging the ice cream to fall.