Cache maggot arrested.

I have mixed feelings on this. It is rather funny, but yet disturbing at the same time. Its rather funny that somebody was arrested, and for a keyholder, plus it being the muggler of more than a few caches. He knew what he did was wrong, and it led to why he was caught.

It's also rather disturbing that someone would be so obsessive about getting people upset, and someone in a higher lever position. His intent was clear, and he used the same logic as someone that steals a car parked on public property.

I don't think the legal system could do justice here, but as long as he stops that would be good enough for now. I also dont think any vigilante justice would be wise either and would only enlarge the problem. Plus pitchforks would set off the metal detector in the courtroom and torches are probably disallowed anyway. If cachers want to have a say, they should contact the prosecutor before the court date, as any deal is usually done before then anyhow.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
...when no laws were broken...

I know that many of our courts have gone liberal on us, but isn't theft still a crime in New York? :laughing:

He didn't really know how to drive and so his tires spun when he was trying to accelerate from a stoplight.

I think if I were the Judge in that courtroom, I'd tack on extra fines for wasting air with such an obviously BS excuse. I can almost envision the exchange:

Whiny street thug: Your Honor, I don't know how to drive. My tires accidently spun out.

Judge: Seriously? Is that the best you can do?

Whiny street thug: Uh...

Judge: If you don't know how to drive, how did you manage to get from your house to the street light?

Judge: If you honestly believe that you can't safely operate a motor vehicle, why were you driving at all?

Judge: OK, we're done. Son, that'll be $50 for tire spinning, $100 for being an idiot & $500 for thinking I'm dumb enough to fall for such a lame excuse.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::anibad:

Plus pitchforks would set off the metal detector in the courtroom

Not if the got the Ronco P-5000 WunderFork. Fabricated from carbon fiber, to avoid detection in court rooms.

Just sayin'... :laughing:

Some of you folks need to be careful about what you are saying in this thread. If, God Forbid, something does happen to this man, whether it be an assault, vandalism, or harrassment, I guarantee that the police will be far more interested in those charges than stealing trinkets from a game.

Show the guy some compassion and maybe even a little bit of forgiveness. Even when they maybe don't deserve it. Anger usually does more harm to you than it does to the person it's being directed towards. I've never seen anything good come from a situation where anger rules, but i've seen amazing things happen when someone decides to let go of the anger and show compassion.

He deserves to be punished because he stole. How many of you have stolen? How many of you have committed adultry? How many of you have gotten divorced and forever hurt your children because of it? How many of you have addictions that hurt your families? Beat up your spouse? Beat up your children?

You better be sure that you are perfect and without fault, because if you aren't, you deserve to be punished in the same way you are calling for this man to be punished.

So, let's say the cache maggot and the DA meet before the hearing. The DA offers him a deal (which is pretty likely). They still need to present the deal to the judge.

If affected cachers were in the court room, they may be able to speak up at that time to let the judge know what sort of effect he's had on others. The judge, then, could say no to the deal (unlikely) and have him face the full charge(s).

Not likely to happen but it could. If anyone is so inclined, it would be interesting to have a set of eyes in the courtroom.

It's unbelievably unlikely that the judge would solicit comments from random people in the courtroom. After all, he doesn't require the people's input since their voice is provided by the DA (or his representative).
Example 2.

Different young man. Steering coupler broke on his vehicle. Unable to steer he crashed. His vehicle ended up in a ditch, nothing more. The officer wrote him a ticket for "Careless Driving". Yeah, I'm not kidding. It seems that they are able to somehow blanket "Careless Driving" any time your vehicle leaves the pavement. Well, that one was plead down to some small offense with a fine less than $100. The point is the young man wasn't actually guilty of anything but the courts bullied him into accepting a lesser infraction and a fine.

Operating an unsafe vehicle is actually against the law.
If affected cachers were in the court room, they may be able to speak up at that time to let the judge know what sort of effect he's had on others. The judge, then, could say no to the deal (unlikely) and have him face the full charge(s).
It's unbelievably unlikely that the judge would solicit comments from random people in the courtroom. After all, he doesn't require the people's input since their voice is provided by the DA (or his representative).
Indeed. In fact, unless they've been brought in as a witness by the DA, I'd imagine anyone who spoke out would be ordered silent or found in contempt.

It's a courtroom, not a three ring circus. :anibad:

Has anything transpired, yet?
Not that I've heard, but my prediction is that, at the last minute, enough people will chip in for bittsen's plane ticket to NY for tomorrow's court date, where they'll get themselves removed from the courtroom for trying to out-shout the judge & lawyers.

This would have the added benefit of finally clearing up the ambiguity around if bittsen is male or female, as long as someone else showed up.

So, where do we send the $$, bittsen?

:anibad:

Edited by Too Tall John
If it doesn't get postponed, tomorrow (March 2) is supposed to be the court date.

Just heard from KayLeo and Jofra (the ones who caught the thief) that the Court date is March 2nd at 9AM.

Let the further speculation begin!

Theory #1: The accused is actually a World War II antiques dealer searching for a vintage 1942 .50 cal ammo can with an extremely rare left-handed lid hinge!

Theory #2: The accused is actually a primate/Sciuridae hybrid. He's not stealing the caches, he's been collecting them because they are the only thing that satisfies his foraging and food-storage instincts!

That's all I got.

If it doesn't get postponed, tomorrow (March 2) is supposed to be the court date.

Just heard from KayLeo and Jofra (the ones who caught the thief) that the Court date is March 2nd at 9AM.

Finally. Something of substance in this thread. I'll check back in tomorrow. Hope they have something to report.

I am also wondering what is transpiring, regarding the report to the State Police, on the cache vandalism of the Adirondack Museum cache - whether the video is of sufficient quality, what additional charge may be brought, etc.

At this point I'm more interested in fact than speculation.

Thanks for the update.

Not that I've heard, but my prediction is that, at the last minute, enough people will chip in for bittsen's plane ticket to NY for tomorrow's court date, where they'll get themselves removed from the courtroom for trying to out-shout the judge & lawyers.

This would have the added benefit of finally clearing up the ambiguity around if bittsen is male or female, as long as someone else showed up.

So, where do we send the $$, bittsen?

:anibad:

It's not so much the sexual ambiguity I want resolved, I hope that someone is there to tell me whether bittsen and knowschad are one and the same. :laughing:

I think they're two manifestations of a multiple personality. Who is the real person behind those two, hmm?

I have it on good authority that they're both socks for Paul Repak! :laughing:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

It's not so much the sexual ambiguity I want resolved, I hope that someone is there to tell me whether bittsen and knowschad are one and the same. :anibad:

I think they're two manifestations of a multiple personality. Who is the real person behind those two, hmm?

It's nice to see the blatant disregard for the TOS of the forums on the day I have been told of being in incredibly hot water.

For the record, just to make it clear. I am not knowschad, nor Paul Repak.

P.S. I was including the disrespectful comments by a few others in this statement.

Shouldn't we be collecting on an additional fund for the bail money??

edit to add- In the unlikely outset that bittsen should be able to attend, get found in contempt, and jailed, before you leave, could I borrow your aluminum foil hat for a completely unrelated matter? I'll explain after you are released! Thanks!!

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Shouldn't we be collecting on an additional fund for the bail money??

edit to add- In the unlikely outset that bittsen should be able to attend, get found in contempt, and jailed, before you leave, could I borrow your aluminum foil hat for a completely unrelated matter? I'll explain after you are released! Thanks!!

It's not like I haven't heard the word "contempt" from a judge before....

I have a spare tin foil hat if you need it.

It's not so much the sexual ambiguity I want resolved, I hope that someone is there to tell me whether bittsen and knowschad are one and the same. :anibad:

It's nice to see the blatant disregard for the TOS of the forums on the day I have been told of being in incredibly hot water.

For the record, just to make it clear. I am not knowschad, nor Paul Repak.

P.S. I was including the disrespectful comments by a few others in this statement.

Sorry if that offended you, it was totally, and I believe obviously, a joke. But my apologies if you took it as anything else.

It was totally a joke. But my apologies if you took it as anything else.

I can't imagine that anyone could have read it as anything other than humor.

Except, possibly, someone desperately searching for something to be contentious about.

Not that we have those types in these forums... :anibad:

Not so much as contentious but as a comment from someone who was placed on thin ice.

If I cannot banter back, I then become the butt of the jokes.

Just doesn't seem fair, does it?

As for what is the proper punishment for this guy, I have a story to tell. Back in the early 80's, Connecticut had tolls on I95. They decided to redesign the tokens for some reason and they also changed the size. I think they cost about a quarter. They unfortunately, were nearly the exact same size as New York City subway tokens which cost 75 cents. This was a big story on the news. Guess what happened next.

I was about 23 at the time and lived just one toll booth before New York. I was going to visit my sister in Manhatten. "Hey, my sister is going to college and has no money, why don't I buy her a few rolls?" I thought. At the toll, I bought three rolls and headed for the train station. I had about three subway tokens in my pocket. On the train in I decided to try myself. So I opened a roll and tried to get a token and about 5 came out. They went into the pocket with the subway tokens.

The train arrives in Grand Central and I head for the subway. I pull out a turnpike token and try to go through. The token won't go into the slot. I turn around and ther are two transit police there. I quickly put the token in my pocket. One policeman says "Maybe the slot is jammed, let's try another turnstile." We go to another turnstile, I turned a bit to block their view, reached into my pocket and grabbed a bunch of tokens. I take a real token and put the rest away. I put it in the slot and walked through the turnstile. We all knew what happened but once I was through, I was a free man.

Now to the important part. When I got to work at a company of about 350 people it only took about 2 hours for the entire company to hear about the engineer who got arrested for trying to pull the same thing I did. People were shaking their heads and commenting that he was an idiot or at least smirking when he walked by. Public humiliation. Im glad it wasn't me.

Except, possibly, someone desperately searching for something to be contentious about.

Not that we have those types in these forums... :anibad:

Not so much as contentious but as a comment from someone who was placed on thin ice.

At least the first part of that joke was based upon jokes that you had set up already (gender ambiguity, multiple personalities). As for any unfortunate comparisons, I got a kick out of it.

Not that we have those types in these forums... :laughing:

I couldn't agree more. I was actually sent to banned camp for 3 days without a warning of being on thin ice.

Once i was banned the person that had me banned kept slamming me and said things that weren't true in the thread that got me banned.

It really does suck to not be able to defend yourself...

OT: I and my lawyer wife are pretty sure he will make restitution, get a suspended sentence and be let go.

Is that what I want to happen to him? no... but it is what it is...

I do not wish for him to lose his job... or wife... or children...

He acted like an a**... IMHO that doesn't deserve a life ruined.

you placed yourself on thin ice. take responsibility for your actions and your words as you demand others do.

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

you placed yourself on thin ice. take responsibility for your actions and your words as you demand others do.

rsg

I always take my punishment.

Just to let you know. I think you've been on unsafe ice a time or two as well. You just weren't told.

the person that had me banned kept slamming me and said things that weren't true in the thread that got me banned.

The person that banned you would likely have been a moderator or a Groundspeak lackey. I would love to see links to their supposed slamming.

I suspect that was a reference to the person that lodged the complaint that led TPTB to level the bannenation.

the person that had me banned kept slamming me and said things that weren't true in the thread that got me banned.

The person that banned you would likely have been a moderator or a Groundspeak lackey. I would love to see links to their supposed slamming.

re-read my post. I said "had me banned"

Honestly... if you want more proof pm me. I will be glad to show you the slamming.

Honestly... if you want more proof pm me. I will be glad to show you the slamming.

I would only repeat what I said. Nobody can "have you banned" but yourself and a moderator. Period.

I would only repeat what I said. Nobody can "have you banned" but yourself and a moderator. Period.

You blew it dog with glasses.....

you misread... simple as that...

I used to somewhat respect your opinions...

no more.

admit you were wrong... good grief...

take it to pm if you do though. :laughing:

I'm glad they caught the theif! What if it had Geocoins in it or travelbugs? What are they to the theif?
You know... geocoins, if any of them can be proven, could very well be the ace in the hole here. They (and travel bugs) are clearly (in my not neccessarily legal opinion) NOT abandoned, even if they are deemed by the court to have be found in an abandoned container. Also, the monetary value is much more clearly discerned than it would be for a container or typical swag. That, (again, in my totally IANAL opinion) might even be grounds for a civil suit! Any true legal opinions here?

rsg

I always take my punishment.

Just to let you know. I think you've been on unsafe ice a time or two as well. You just weren't told.

and you would know this how? or are you making suppositions?

i knew when i was on thin ice — usually when i had broken through — for a couple of weeks at a time. i learned my lessons.

i didn't say take your punishment, i said take responsibility for your actions and words. two different things.

rsg

So what you are saying is that's what they want? Geocoins? Why would someone want that? it's like taking a board game, taking a peice out and throwing the rest away!

EDIT: Now that I think of it, thats the same with artifacts such as pottery shards and arrowheads/spear-points! People illigally pick up stuff like that all the time, and its like taking a peice out of a puzzle! So you are saying they want to sell them as well or am I just really comfused?

Edited by KarateNeko2
If we're going to jump onto the geocoin bandwagon, then just in these forums we have quite a few thieves.

Of course, they would call themselves collectors. But geocoins are just not a can of worms we really want to open in this thread.

It's got enough drama as it is.

I can only speak for myself, of course... but, no. I was not jumping on the geocoin bandwagon as much as suggesting that as a possibly stronger charge in the situation at hand than simply stealing an Altoid tin. I suspect that the general public could relate to it easier and more strongly.

Hmmm.... I see now..... sorry I'm new to this game. I didn't understand that part... Ok, I'll just close the can of worms now...

No, your points are valid.

If someone is a cache thief, they undoubtedly have stolen travel bugs and geocoins. This can affect cachers all over the globe.

What did the maggot do with all the trackables and swag? He probably threw it all in the garbage or sold it on Ebay or even has a personal little trophy collection similar to how most serial criminals collect.

Too bad we don't know if his house was searched. That would be an interesting find.

It would also be nice, if he were really sorry for his actions, that he released all of the trackables back into the hobby.

I know one things for sure, having a collection would certainly make me feel rrrreeeaaallllyyyy bad about myself. I'd rather see them once, track them and see how far they travel. But it's sad when someone finds out that the bug/coin has gone missing. That really is the disadvantage of tracking them. But I enjoy it while it lasts. like once, I moved a travel bug along in the United states, and now I found out it's in Germany! how cool is that!

I wasn't saying KarateNeko2 didn't have a valid point so much as this is a subject for an entirely new thread.

The "collecting" of geocoins has become so pervasive that many coin owners will not release their coins. Rather they just trade them directly with other cachers since they tend not to get much further than the first few caches.

Travel bugs have the same problems, but not as bad as geocoins.

Anyway, if we're going to discuss the taking of geocoins, then we cast a much wider net than just cache maggots.

And we really could support an entirely new thread if someone really wants to discuss the taking of bug and coins.

And we really could support an entirely new thread if someone really wants to discuss the taking of bug and coins.

But those threads are always moved to another place where the subject has been discussed many times.

His comment was on topic.

I wasn't saying KarateNeko2 didn't have a valid point so much as this is a subject for an entirely new thread.

I then went on to explain why. But if you want to continue the discussion in this thread, have at it.

I guess this thread really hasn't seen enough angst and excitement yet.

Edited by GeoBain

Uh, I'm a she. GeoBain, I don't want to get in a big argument or anything but, this thread is about a muggle being arrested for stealing a cache, right? Now, just think, why would someone steal a cache, especially if it looks like trash anyway, unless they wanted something inside of it. I don't know, kinda sounds connected to bugs + coins to me. Let's just end this now. I did not intentionally start this. Just move on...

(I prolly shouldn't have said anything huh...)

Uh, I'm a she. GeoBain, I don't want to get in a big argument or anything but, this thread is about a muggle being arrested for stealing a cache, right? Now, just think, why would someone steal a cache, especially if it looks like trash anyway, unless they wanted something inside of it. I don't know, kinda sounds connected to bugs + coins to me. Let's just end this now. I did not intentionally start this. Just move on...

(I prolly shouldn't have said anything huh...)

People steal caches for a lot of reasons.

In my opinion (I have absolutely no supporting proof to back it up), the vast majority of cache maggots steal and destroy caches to cause chaos, strife, and angst. I think they get a kick out of sitting back and reading the cache listing and forums. Kind of like fire bugs. A high percentage of pyros will hang around the scene of the crime to watch the aftermath. That tends to be the real thrill.

And I was not picking on you or saying you were wrong to bring it up. I have said it twice now that you had a valid point. Your point was also ON TOPIC to this thread.

My point is that the issue is that a whole lot of cachers, even respected cachers, are guilty of taking coins from caches. Once you begin discussing the taking of geocoins as being illegal, well, you automatically finger quite a few geocachers as guilty as well.

And there are enough people who feel passionate about the taking of coins that it could literally be its own thread.

Nowhere does that insinuate that you were wrong for bringing it up. I was just suggesting that it is, in fact, a topic that has been a button pusher in the past.

Anyway, I'd be just as interested as seeing it play out in this thread as in its own thread. So, let's talk about it some more. :laughing:

** Edited to add that I refer to all posters as he unless I know otherwise. It's nothing personal **

Edited by GeoBain