Cache maggot arrested.

Just heard from KayLeo and Jofra (the ones who caught the thief) that the Court date is March 2nd at 9AM.

So, if anyone wants to come it's being held at the Rome Courts.

I think it is a safe bet that someone in the state will either realize before, at or shortly after the date that there has been no crime committed an drop it. Could be entertaining though.

Just heard from KayLeo and Jofra (the ones who caught the thief) that the Court date is March 2nd at 9AM.

I think it is a safe bet that someone in the state will either realize before, at or shortly after the date that there has been no crime committed an drop it. Could be entertaining though.

Safe bet? I'll take that action.

March 2nd is Tuesday. If the charges were going to be dropped, they are runnng out of time.

Besides, if the charges are dropped then the culprit would have a small case for false arrest (or something along those lines).

A plea bargain is more likely.

If the case were to be dropped it is at this hearing that it would happen. He, and his lawyer if he retained one, will probably see the prosecuting attorney right before court at which time they will make a deal as to what the disposition of the case will be. I got a $ says they agree on an ACD. Then they will appear in front of the judge who will have to approve of the agreement. Very rare that the judge would not approve in such a case.

no matter the disposition of the case, i'm betting this cache maggot won't be stealing any more caches.
I tend to agree with you.

Incidentally, we have one around here, now, that may interest you in particular. The cache(s) are/were hidden in a county park that has no signs posted against foot traffic. However, a local off-road bicycle group apparently (they say) built and maintain the trails. A member of the cycling group has recently taken to muggling the caches and posting it as logs on the cache page. I *believe* that there is only one incident at this time, but the cache owner pulled his cache after having it stolen twice, then having a conversation with someone from the cycling group. Since you are both an avid geocacher and an avid off-road cyclist, your take on this should be interesting. Remember... this is a public park with no signs telling pedestrians to stay out or to take particular trails over others.

Since you are both an avid geocacher and an avid off-road cyclist, your take on this should be interesting. Remember... this is a public park with no signs telling pedestrians to stay out or to take particular trails over others.

If the disputes between mountain bikers and hikers that is ever-debated in my area is any indication, this could keep us entertained until Tuesday. My daughters high school MTB team was taught to have the "howdy spirit." I suppose we could all use that.

Or we could take bets on the probable disposition, although we might have to wait longer than Tuesday before its settled. At least in my area it might be continued to give both parties a chance to talk further before a plea is entered by the defendant.

Edited by Erickson

i hope the judge laughs this right out of court.

rsg

I just hope you get your coins back and your attitude approves. Why would you possibly hope for that?!? B)

no matter the disposition of the case, i'm betting this cache maggot won't be stealing any more caches.

And that's what's important here. While the guy is a complete screw up, I'd hate to see his life ruined or job lost over this.

But I would be very surprised to see him continue with this behavior, now that he knows he's been outed.

rsg

hey, i'd hoped you'd been laughed right out of this thread, but that didn't happen.

And that's what's important here. While the guy is a complete screw up, I'd hate to see his life ruined or job lost over this.

But I would be very surprised to see him continue with this behavior, now that he knows he's been outed.

How much would he have to do before you would hope to see his life screwed up and lose his job?

For me, it's after he maliciously did anything that hurt someone else for his own selfish reasons.

How much would he have to do before you would hope to see his life screwed up and lose his job?

For me, it's after he maliciously did anything that hurt someone else for his own selfish reasons.

Take a pill.

Take a pill.

My first thought was to tell you to get off my back but, then I remembered the moderators said anyone can post anywhere so I won't say it.

What I will say is...

Thank you for reminding me to take my BP medicine, not that it has anything to do with my desire for people who deliberately hurt others, for their own sick pleasure, to suffer the harsh effects of Karma tenfold.

Take a pill.

My first thought was to tell you to get off my back but, then I remembered the moderators said anyone can post anywhere so I won't say it.

What I will say is...

Thank you for reminding me to take my BP medicine, not that it has anything to do with my desire for people who deliberately hurt others, for their own sick pleasure, to suffer the harsh effects of Karma tenfold.

Your BP medicine is all that I was thinking of, my friend. It was becoming rather obvious that you had forgotten it.

Don't want it. Ideal disposition would be ACD, he repents of his wicked ways, he keeps his job, he starts making restitution to all the cachers whose caches he has stolen, and starts playing the game in a non-destructive way and contributing to it.

Edward

Don't want it. Ideal disposition would be ACD, he repents of his wicked ways, he keeps his job, he starts making restitution to all the cachers whose caches he has stolen, and starts playing the game in a non-destructive way and contributing to it.

Edward

You're too soft. ~LOL~

If he's guilty, I want him to suffer the combined angst of all those cachers he's affected. I really don't think that's too much to ask. Ideally he would suffer that tenfold but I will settle for a 1:1 ratio. I figure that should make his life miserable for a couple years, at least.

Edward

You're too soft. ~LOL~

If he's guilty, I want him to suffer the combined angst of all those cachers he's affected. I really don't think that's too much to ask. Ideally he would suffer that tenfold but I will settle for a 1:1 ratio. I figure that should make his life miserable for a couple years, at least.

The combined cachers that he's affected (ASSUMING that he was guilty of all of those missing caches, something that has not yet, and probably never will be proven) has, I'm sure, not cost one of them their jobs, their spouses, their homes, or the love of their children. It cost them plenty of money and a lot of time, both of which I hope he has to repay to some degree.

The combined cachers that he's affected (ASSUMING that he was guilty of all of those missing caches, something that has not yet, and probably never will be proven) has, I'm sure, not cost one of them their jobs, their spouses, their homes, or the love of their children. It cost them plenty of money and a lot of time, both of which I hope he has to repay to some degree.

Life's rough. If he didn't want to suffer the consequences, maybe he should have kept his thievery to himself.

If you took all the angst and combined it, I am sure that it would equate to the angst of losing a job and suffering public humiliation.

Just sayin.

Life's rough. If he didn't want to suffer the consequences, maybe he should have kept his thievery to himself.

If you took all the angst and combined it, I am sure that it would equate to the angst of losing a job and suffering public humiliation.

Just sayin.

Go do a little research on what happens when punishment typically doesn't fit the crime. From some of the things in your past that you've hinted about, you should be the last one here to be insisting upon irrational punishment. If what you have claimed was even the least bit true, you owe plenty to mercy. Odds are, you shouldn't even be here.

Yeah, life is rough, and life does have its consequences. But how far are you willing to take it. The dude probably stole a bunch of geocaches over a ten year period. So... ELECTRIC CHAIR!!!! Why not? He knew what he was doing? STRING HIM UP! Cause his wife and children to hate him! Come on... get real. He didn't kill anybody.

Just sayin.

You know, by your convoluted logic, anyone that decided to drive 60 mph in a 55 mph zone should lose everything they hold dear. They knew what they were doing. Breaking the law has consequences. In fact, in this case, he may even have put my life, and those of my loved ones, at risk. Life's rough dude. If you want to speed, be prepared to pay up. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Five MPH is five MPH, so just get over it. Stop your whining. You knew when you went on that speeding rampage just exactly what you were doing, and what the cost might be.

Take a pill.

Just sayin.

Go do a little research on what happens when punishment typically doesn't fit the crime. From some of the things in your past that you've hinted about, you should be the last one here to be insisting upon irrational punishment. If what you have claimed was even the least bit true, you owe plenty to mercy. Odds are, you shouldn't even be here.

Yeah, life is rough, and life does have its consequences. But how far are you willing to take it. The dude probably stole a bunch of geocaches over a ten year period. So... ELECTRIC CHAIR!!!! Why not? He knew what he was doing? STRING HIM UP! Cause his wife and children to hate him! Come on... get real. He didn't kill anybody.

I've paid my price. Rest assured.

I don't begrudge Karma for the debts I have paid, either. That is the reason I feel justified in my wishes.

As for "what" I have done, I maintain that there were few, situations where I deliberately caused another person grief, for my own pleasure. I was going to say no situations but I remember one night I adjusted the mirrors of all the cars along my route. It was peer pressure and I suspect my pennance was either my mirror falling off my car or when someone forcibly removed my mirror from my car. Either way, I think I'm paid back.

As I have said before, I have lived the life. I am no hypocrite. I know what I'm saying.

Any other personal jabs you want to toss at me?

Just sayin.

You know, by your convoluted logic, anyone that decided to drive 60 mph in a 55 mph zone should lose everything they hold dear. They knew what they were doing. Breaking the law has consequences. In fact, in this case, he may even have put my life, and those of my loved ones, at risk. Life's rough dude. If you want to speed, be prepared to pay up. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Five MPH is five MPH, so just get over it. Stop your whining. You knew when you went on that speeding rampage just exactly what you were doing, and what the cost might be.

Take a pill.

Just sayin.

You still don't get it. Pay attention. I will say it very clearly.

When someone DELIBERATELY DOES HARM TO ANOTHER, for THEIR OWN PLEASURE...

It has nothing to do with the law.

I am done arguing with you about it. You can have the last word.

Edited by bittsen

Edward

Assuming a confession or establishing guilt, some restitution would be good. Other than that, the non-destructive contribution to the game I would want is for him to stay as far away from Geocaches as possible. I don't want to understand him or why he did it. I don't want to spend one second at an event or on the trail with him. But I see no point in advocating that he lose his job.

rsg

Agreed. It's silly to even think that he should be held criminally liable.

Just sayin.

Take a pill.

Just sayin.

OK, here is the last word, then. I'm not the one spitting acid and spewing flames here. I am TRYING to keep this thing in perspective, despite inflammatory posts like your own. Some caches were taken. Maybe many caches. NO lives were taken, so I don't want to take this guys life, either literally or figuratively. I am sick and tired of your spewing your poison around here and I have no qualms about speaking against it, which is what this is all about. When you post reasonably, I don't hassle you. When you spit poison, I will call you on it.

Just sayin'

Assuming a confession or establishing guilt, some restitution would be good. Other than that, the non-destructive contribution to the game I would want is for him to stay as far away from Geocaches as possible. I don't want to understand him or why he did it. I don't want to spend one second at an event or on the trail with him. But I see no point in advocating that he lose his job.

What many people don't understand is that whatever happens to him, outside of someone taking revenge, is his own doing. He can't blame anyone for whatever comes from this (again, unless someone takes it upon themselves to commit an act of revenge).

One of the things I taught my children is that they cause themselves discomfort when they break the rules (or laws). It is not the punisher who is responsible for the discomfort, it's their actions. I also taught my children that deliberate acts are punshable, accidents are not (unless their accident is directly responsible for their discomfort). No, that does not imply I beat my children. Don't go there!

When this cache maggot commited his deeds, it was no accident, therefore any punishment that karma has for him is of his own doing. If karma dictates that he lose his job, that's on him. Nobody put a gun to his head (presumably) and forced him to do what he did. Nobody but he knows why he did what he did. We can think we do all we want but only he knows for sure. So, he will have his demons and never be free from them unless he swallows that tough pill that is Karma.

And, yes, if I get caught breaking the law, I will suffer the consequences. I may complain but in my heart I know it's my own darned fault. And if Mr. Repak is a decent person, when he suffers his consequences, no matter how severe, he will think to himself that it's all HIS fault he's suffering.

If anyone can disagree with my logic, go ahead.

Wishing him to stop without being punished is an emotional response. If we are going with emotions, I want him to suffer (but I'm perfectly willing to roll with whatever happens, either way).

Betrayal often leads to the strongest emotional responses. In this game, we spend X amount of dollars buying containers and swag, then expend X amount of effort in placing our stuff out in the public domain. As a testament to our good will, and the good will of others, we even go so far as to post the physical location where we placed our stuff, in a mostly public format, accessible to dang near anybody.

Someone who intentionally enters this realm simply to cause mayhem is betraying that trust.

As such, he deserves all the nasty little thoughts folks want to heap upon his head. Feel free to think evil thoughts about this mook till the cows come home! I won't stop you. Heck, take it a step farther. Step outside and shout at the Heavens, "Paul Repack is a goober!". If that makes you feel better, it's a win-win for everybody. Having accomplished that, it's time to put away the pitchforks and torches and let society resolve this.

I think the only part of Chad's buddy's ideology that I don't agree with is Repack's continued employment. This clown's behavior has demonstrated that he has a screw loose. Probably several. This is not the kind of guy I want my tax dollars financing. Knowing he has maintained a security clearance, while being a nut job, makes me even more uncomfortable. If he was the senior fry chef at McDonald's, I wouldn't want him to lose his job, but a government security clearance is a position of trust, which he violated, repeatedly. I'm reminded of the Florida State Trooper who would investigate fatal vehicle crashes, and steal credit cards from the victims. At his trial, the defense wanted to play it off as "just some minor petty larceny", but the jury wasn't buying it. The Trooper violated the trust of the taxpayers, and was justly fired, arrested, tried and convicted.

I think the only part of Chad's buddy's ideology that I don't agree with is Repack's continued employment. This clown's behavior has demonstrated that he has a screw loose. Probably several. This is not the kind of guy I want my tax dollars financing. Knowing he has maintained a security clearance, while being a nut job, makes me even more uncomfortable.

I agree with what you say here. I was obviously responding to wishes that Repak would lose his livelihood for reasons of vengeance.

Betrayal often leads to the strongest emotional responses. In this game, we spend X amount of dollars buying containers and swag, then expend X amount of effort in placing our stuff out in the public domain. As a testament to our good will, and the good will of others, we even go so far as to post the physical location where we placed our stuff, in a mostly public format, accessible to dang near anybody.

Someone who intentionally enters this realm simply to cause mayhem is betraying that trust.

As such, he deserves all the nasty little thoughts folks want to heap upon his head. Feel free to think evil thoughts about this mook till the cows come home! I won't stop you. Heck, take it a step farther. Step outside and shout at the Heavens, "Paul Repack is a goober!". If that makes you feel better, it's a win-win for everybody. Having accomplished that, it's time to put away the pitchforks and torches and let society resolve this.

I think the only part of Chad's buddy's ideology that I don't agree with is Repack's continued employment. This clown's behavior has demonstrated that he has a screw loose. Probably several. This is not the kind of guy I want my tax dollars financing. Knowing he has maintained a security clearance, while being a nut job, makes me even more uncomfortable. If he was the senior fry chef at McDonald's, I wouldn't want him to lose his job, but a government security clearance is a position of trust, which he violated, repeatedly. I'm reminded of the Florida State Trooper who would investigate fatal vehicle crashes, and steal credit cards from the victims. At his trial, the defense wanted to play it off as "just some minor petty larceny", but the jury wasn't buying it. The Trooper violated the trust of the taxpayers, and was justly fired, arrested, tried and convicted.

Well said.

I would have to agree to your point that if it were a fry cook, let him keep his job. A high security (or even medium security) government employee deserves to lose his job over this sort of thing. You are right, it's a trust thing. I would expect some stoner miscreant wouldn't get nearly as much attention from me as a government employee trusted with technology or information deemed sensitive.

But if karma has other plans, she can have at it.

So, let's say the cache maggot and the DA meet before the hearing. The DA offers him a deal (which is pretty likely). They still need to present the deal to the judge.

If affected cachers were in the court room, they may be able to speak up at that time to let the judge know what sort of effect he's had on others. The judge, then, could say no to the deal (unlikely) and have him face the full charge(s).

Not likely to happen but it could. If anyone is so inclined, it would be interesting to have a set of eyes in the courtroom.

If affected cachers were in the court room, they may be able to speak up at that time to let the judge know what sort of effect he's had on others. The judge, then, could say no to the deal (unlikely) and have him face the full charge(s).

Or the judge could ask the state why they bothered him/her when no laws were broken, chastise them, and tell him that while he is free to go he should be more respectful and maybe try to convince him, assuming he is gullible, that karma will get him.

If it is a slow day, the judge might ask those geocachers in court if they had permission for their hides and point out some possible real laws to them.

Edited by baloo&bd

Or the judge could ask the state why they bothered him/her when no laws were broken, chastise them, and tell him that while he is free to go he should be more respectful and maybe try to convince him, assuming he is gullible, that karma will get him.

If it is a slow day, the judge might ask those geocachers in court if they had permission for their hides and point out some possible real laws to them.

You haven't spent much time in a real courtroom, have you?

If theres a fine that can be levied for a crime, misdemeanor or infraction, a judge will listen.

That is a FACT!

You haven't spent much time in a real courtroom, have you?

If theres a fine that can be levied for a crime, misdemeanor or infraction, a judge will listen.

That is a FACT!

Oh, wait, that changes everything. I didn't know it was A FACT.

Probably haven't been in court as much as you apparently have, however I do agree with your statement. The key is there has to be a crime, misdemeanor or infraction. If a penalty is given here you can have someone arrested for not signing the log and claiming a find or double logging caches.

On the other hand, there are several hides that can be considered infractions.

More likely, if it does make it to court, there was another crime broken not mentioned because it is more mundane or some outstanding warrant.

Edited by baloo&bd

Oh, wait, that changes everything. I didn't know it was A FACT.

Probably haven't been in court as much as you apparently have, however I do agree with your statement. The key is there has to be a crime, misdemeanor or infraction. If a penalty is given here you can have someone arrested for not signing the log and claiming a find or double logging caches.

On the other hand, there are several hides that can be considered infractions.

More likely, if it does make it to court, there was another crime broken not mentioned because it is more mundane or some outstanding warrant.

Let's just say that I have been in court enough that I have seen some pretty amazing things.

When money can be made, you can bet that charges will stick. The charges might not make sense to the ordinary thinking person but courts can twist things to make them fit.

A couple of examples.

A young man was ticketed for "exibition of speed" "no drivers license" "No insurance"

He didn't really know how to drive and so his tires spun when he was trying to accelerate from a stoplight. He did have insurance because the car was insured.

The officer offered to drop the no license charge and no insurance if he plead guilty to exhibition of speed (which in Oregon is the equivalent of street racing and carries a hefty fine).

I happened to be sitting within earshot and interrupted to talk to the young man for a second. The cop tried to stop me.

The end result is the deal was made to plead guilty to the only real infraction, the no drivers license ($94 fine) and NOT the EoS charge ($595 fine +4 insurance points). The cop wasn't happy because he was going for the higher fine. Oh well. It was what is right.

Example 2.

Different young man. Steering coupler broke on his vehicle. Unable to steer he crashed. His vehicle ended up in a ditch, nothing more. The officer wrote him a ticket for "Careless Driving". Yeah, I'm not kidding. It seems that they are able to somehow blanket "Careless Driving" any time your vehicle leaves the pavement. Well, that one was plead down to some small offense with a fine less than $100. The point is the young man wasn't actually guilty of anything but the courts bullied him into accepting a lesser infraction and a fine.

The moral of the story is that there doesn't even have to be a crime committed for punishment from the courts. They want the money and WILL find something to charge a person with, especially if it's a gray area.

Don't think the cache maggot won't get fined, at the very least. These charges don't have a high chance of being dropped.

P.S. You word police folks really need to realize how stupid you seem.

Edited by bittsen

P.S. You word police folks really need to realize how stupid you seem.

Yep, not nearly as smart as those of you that have spent so much time in court.

:D:D:D

True dat! It will suit me fine if I never have to learn how the inside of a court works or jail looks!

There are many reasons to be in a courtroom. You don't have to be facing charges...

But, o, the stories I could tell....

rsg

hey, i'd hoped you'd been laughed right out of this thread, but that didn't happen.

sheesh, why focus on me darlin'? the rest of these folks can go at each other with flame-throwers and lynch mobs and you try to pick on me. sheesh again.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

rsg

I just hope you get your coins back and your attitude approves. Why would you possibly hope for that?!? :D

i am not sure what you are referring to, i just expressed an opinion as you have done so very many times. why jump down my throat because i think this whole thing has a nasty tone to it that has grown way out of proportion. that seems to be what your position has been.

to wish some of the things on this guy that have been brought up here is frightening and i am not sure why i am being dumped on for my thoughts. i have avoided calling anyone names or demeaning their character. i have simply advocated for a gentler way of thinking. and for not taking the whole matter so bloody serious.

rsg

Just sayin.

Take a pill.

Just sayin.

OK, here is the last word, then. I'm not the one spitting acid and spewing flames here. I am TRYING to keep this thing in perspective, despite inflammatory posts like your own. Some caches were taken. Maybe many caches. NO lives were taken, so I don't want to take this guys life, either literally or figuratively. I am sick and tired of your spewing your poison around here and I have no qualms about speaking against it, which is what this is all about. When you post reasonably, I don't hassle you. When you spit poison, I will call you on it.

Just sayin'

is it ok if i agree with you here?

rsg

I just hope you get your coins back and your attitude approves. Why would you possibly hope for that?!? :D

i am not sure what you are referring to, i just expressed an opinion as you have done so very many times. why jump down my throat because i think this whole thing has a nasty tone to it that has grown way out of proportion. that seems to be what your position has been.

to wish some of the things on this guy that have been brought up here is frightening and i am not sure why i am being dumped on for my thoughts. i have avoided calling anyone names or demeaning their character. i have simply advocated for a gentler way of thinking. and for not taking the whole matter so bloody serious.

rsg

Hey, I'm not one of those here that wants to see this guy strung up by his thumbs. I want to see justice, but not mob justice. Which also means that I don't want to see the judge "laugh this right out of court".

(What I was "referring to", for what its worth, was your admission in another thread to having a bad attitude toward caching because you had to sell a geocoin collection. I felt that your "laught it out of court" comment had to do with a bad attitude toward caching in general. If not true, I apologize for that part of what I said.)

rsg

rsg

Hey, I'm not one of those here that wants to see this guy strung up by his thumbs. I want to see justice, but not mob justice. Which also means that I don't want to see the judge "laugh this right out of court".

(What I was "referring to", for what its worth, was your admission in another thread to having a bad attitude toward caching because you had to sell a geocoin collection. I felt that your "laught it out of court" comment had to do with a bad attitude toward caching in general. If not true, I apologize for that part of what I said.)

oh no, not a bad attitude toward caching because of coins! and i don't really have a bad attitude towards caching in general. otherwise i wouldn't still be doing it! but there are things that get to me once in a while. advocating some of things that have been bandied around here is one of them.

i just want to see this dealt with in a balanced way. and not strung up by any of his body parts. you have been a voice of reason so far.

laughing it out of court is just my opinion on how serious this is or isn't. seems that is what everyone is doing, expressing their opinion of the seriousness of the incident. my opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

Edited by RedShoesGirl