Cache maggot arrested.

Whether or not the horse is actually sleeping will have to be decided in a court of law, and not by some vigilante forum mob!

That said, I hope this thread does not get closed. I would, however, like to see it quiet down. It would be nice to be able to see follow-up information, when that becomes available, to be posted directly to this thread, where it belongs.

All im saying, is i wouldn't want to be hiking on a Adirondack trail anywhere near a geocache if i were him.

But making not so veiled threats like this is not doing geocaching any good. Your last 2 posts are more than a bit worrisome. .. You really need to consider what you've posted. Are you prepared for the inevitable outcome?

Looking at this from a slightly different angle provides an entirely different outlook. For instance: The area I patrol is very rural. Folks out there do not embrace government intrusion into their lives. When someone feels slighted, quite often the response is retaliatory in nature. Then the original offender feels the need for revenge and strikes back. This circle spirals around until one party grows weary of the foolishness, or someone gets seriously hurt and we get called to deal with the aftermath. No matter how often I preach against the vengeance mentality, that particular segment of society refuses to change.

Even someone who doesn't live in the community has to know that there are folks out there in the real world who are kooky enough to believe that justice is best served with a side order of violence. Right now, only the thief knows for sure how many people he's victimized. From perusing this thread, it seems like he could positively be linked to at least three thefts. Of that group of victims, only Gaia knows if any of them share the vigilante mentality so often glamorized in our media.

If I had victimized three people, and was suspected of victimizing many, many more, and I participated in outdoor activities far and away from civilization, and my personal information was made public, I would be afraid. I would likely rethink any future plans for recreational excursions.

Looking at this from a slightly different angle provides an entirely different outlook. For instance: The area I patrol is very rural. Folks out there do not embrace government intrusion into their lives. When someone feels slighted, quite often the response is retaliatory in nature. Then the original offender feels the need for revenge and strikes back. This circle spirals around until one party grows weary of the foolishness, or someone gets seriously hurt and we get called to deal with the aftermath. No matter how often I preach against the vengeance mentality, that particular segment of society refuses to change.

Even someone who doesn't live in the community has to know that there are folks out there in the real world who are kooky enough to believe that justice is best served with a side order of violence. Right now, only the thief knows for sure how many people he's victimized. From perusing this thread, it seems like he could positively be linked to at least three thefts. Of that group of victims, only Gaia knows if any of them share the vigilante mentality so often glamorized in our media.

If I had victimized three people, and was suspected of victimizing many, many more, and I participated in outdoor activities far and away from civilization, and my personal information was made public, I would be afraid. I would likely rethink any future plans for recreational excursions.

That's how I read the "Be afraid, be very afraid" type comments as well.

Well said.

I have been toying with ways to convey the same message. If I were in that guys shoes, i would be watching over my shoulder constantly.

What about that plumbing truck that has been parked in front of his house for 4 days straight....

I am often amused at the folks that "need to know why" like it's some finality or closure. The fact is, the maggot stole. Some of you think to hang him. Some of you not. Either way, move on. 13 pages of pure speculation and opinion... I know I usually post and run. For that I apologize. But the fact is, once a thread gets past page #2, they're either rather boring or nothing but b*tchfest. Everyone with an opinion and no one caring about any opinions but their own.

13 pages of pure speculation and opinion... I know I usually post and run. For that I apologize. But the fact is, once a thread gets past page #2, they're either rather boring or nothing but b*tchfest. Everyone with an opinion and no one caring about any opinions but their own.

That's why I come here. Why do you?

Most forums pretty much fit that description. This forum ain't got nuttin' on Usenet. :laughing:

I am often amused at the folks that "need to know why" like it's some finality or closure. The fact is, the maggot stole. Some of you think to hang him. Some of you not. Either way, move on. 13 pages of pure speculation and opinion... I know I usually post and run. For that I apologize. But the fact is, once a thread gets past page #2, they're either rather boring or nothing but b*tchfest. Everyone with an opinion and no one caring about any opinions but their own.

Ha! Do not misunderstand. This is not from some need to understand from a social worker who hopes to rehab the guy. I don't need finality or closure. The click of silver bracelets is enough for me.

I am just curious why. What made him decide to steal geocaches?

Yet you're still here, not contributing a thing to the topic, just gripping. Interesting.

Yet you're still here, not contributing a thing to the topic, just gripping. Interesting.

That's the dilemma, isn't it? How do you complain about a thread without becoming part of the thread?

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche

:laughing:

13 pages of pure speculation and opinion... I know I usually post and run. For that I apologize. But the fact is, once a thread gets past page #2, they're either rather boring or nothing but b*tchfest. Everyone with an opinion and no one caring about any opinions but their own.

Most forums pretty much fit that description. This forum ain't got nuttin' on Usenet. :laughing:

I just come for the donuts, and to inject some degree of strangeness into everyone's day.

All im saying, is i wouldn't want to be hiking on a Adirondack trail anywhere near a geocache if i were him.

But making not so veiled threats like this is not doing geocaching any good. Your last 2 posts are more than a bit worrisome. .. You really need to consider what you've posted. Are you prepared for the inevitable outcome?

Sounds like the Hatfields and the McCoys. (notice, no smileys) I'd surely hope that we are a bit above that sort of behavior!

That's how I read the "Be afraid, be very afraid" type comments as well.

Well said.

I have been toying with ways to convey the same message. If I were in that guys shoes, i would be watching over my shoulder constantly.

What about that plumbing truck that has been parked in front of his house for 4 days straight....

The man in the back said everyone attack and it turned into a ballroom blitz.. :lol:

I am often amused at the folks that "need to know why" like it's some finality or closure.

To go all philosophical for a moment...the need to know why is at the crux of the human experience. Why should the need to know why someone acts in a particular way (antisocial way specifically) be any different?

Perhaps people asking why and discussing the topic should be encouraged. Perhaps people - through the process of questioning things in life - will actually learn more about themselves and about others. And learning is a good thing, right? Especially when it comes down to human behavior and what makes other people tick.

Sure the thread is long and there are opinions being expressed. Maybe the question should be, if the topic has become boring to you, why are you continuing to open it, read it, and participate in it?

Just saying... :lol:

Edited by ThePetersTrio

Private property on public land is STILL private property... because WE ALL own the public land.

If your Church erected a manger in a park for Christmas, could I claim it was "abandoned" and move it to my house? Of course not. Theft is theft, and being a jerk is being a jerk.

While I think, frankly, that trying the guy in court is extreme and silly, and a huge waste of time and money, humiliating a guy who derived pleasure from deliberately finding and stealing something that brought OTHERS happiness... well, I'm good with that.

Most forums pretty much fit that description. This forum ain't got nuttin' on Usenet. :D

I just come for the donuts, and to inject some degree of strangeness into everyone's day.

Donuts! I need to start logging on earlier :lol:

Sounds like the Hatfields and the McCoys. I'd surely hope that we are a bit above that sort of behavior!

Very close analogy. Welcome to my world. :lol: As far as being "above" that sort of behavior, I would guess that the vast majority of geocachers are. However, there's still that knuckle dragging small percentage who would feel perfectly justified in confronting this guy, visiting violence upon his life because the courts failed to render a verdict which the knuckle dragger felt was in line with justice. This guy intentionally targeted a group with a whole bunch of members. As smart as he is, he has to know that some of his victims are not very enlightened. If I was in his shoes, I would be afraid.

Most forums pretty much fit that description. This forum ain't got nuttin' on Usenet. :D

Donuts! I need to start logging on earlier :lol:

Well, yeah... donuts. But they were injected with some sort of strange jelly.
Sounds like the Hatfields and the McCoys. I'd surely hope that we are a bit above that sort of behavior!

Very close analogy. Welcome to my world. :lol: As far as being "above" that sort of behavior, I would guess that the vast majority of geocachers are. However, there's still that knuckle dragging small percentage who would feel perfectly justified in confronting this guy, visiting violence upon his life because the courts failed to render a verdict which the knuckle dragger felt was in line with justice. This guy intentionally targeted a group with a whole bunch of members. As smart as he is, he has to know that some of his victims are not very enlightened. If I was in his shoes, I would be afraid.

Alright... time for everybody to post a picture of their knuckles!!

fistbump-300x243.jpg

I'm clean.

Alright... time for everybody to post a picture of their knuckles!!

fistbump-300x243.jpg

I'm clean.

Hairy_Cave_Person_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_081102-131359-428050.jpg

Disclaimer - that's not really me

as to the "why" of it, those of us who have been touched significantly by this miscreant maggot's actions have been asking why for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was to try to find some kind of pattern, to maybe catch him or at least to stay clear of his latest "handiwork".

At least having a forum allows venting rather than rash actions. Let the justice system deal with him - and Karma too!

I felt for the placers of the stolen cachers, and for those who, in good faith, went hunting. Whatever this person's reasons for stealing caches were, we'll probably never know - but if any other caches start to disappear, he will be the first person suspected, even if he has quit. What this has done to his reputation, I don't know, but I suspect he is getting quite a few glances from his neighbours and work colleagues.

I would like to have updates on how this all turns out though.

That's the dilemma, isn't it? How do you complain about a thread without becoming part of the thread?

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche

:D

Or as another great poet put it:

In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand

At the mongrel dogs who teach

Fearing not that I'd become my enemy

In the instant that I preach

Not really adding anything to the topic, but adding a little cultcha until we hear some news :lol:

If anything does happen to him it will only make geocachers look bad and inspire more people to steal caches. Geocaches are rather vulnerable and it is only by a stroke of luck that he was caught. Any tide tends to turn in the other direction once a certain cause goes too far. If he was trying to promote the "Leave No Trace" mantra, they may try to dissavow his antisocial behaviour, but if something happens to him it will only justify it and create more people to be on his side.

Violence is rather outdated and barbaric anyhow and there is no need to take this to extreme limits.

Perhaps he should just be discreetly monitored for other naughtiness. I'm currently building a RC model airplane 2.4Ghz that will will be cojoined to a GPS signal generator discreetly mounted to his vehicle. The drone plane will automatically take off and follow from an altitude of 100' and have a 10 megapixel digital video that will follow the signal and call from the iphone mounted to the underbelly to update coords to an agent nearby. Once he exits the vehicle, he will be followed by agents working for the ultrasecret Platinum Frog society who will follow him on foot. They will be instructed to just simply point at him. If anyone from GP (general public) asks about the finger pointing, they will be briefed with a simple synopsis about the project. Of course this will cost of bit of money, so I'm planning to sell the plot summary for another "Revenge of the Nerds" movie sequel..

If that doesn't pan out, then the drone plane will be reprogrammed to drop thousand of leaflets in state and national forests nearby proclaiming "Property of Paul Repak. Please return immediately to above address" with his picture and address on them. "Postage will be paid by adressee" may be added also. Of course they will be completely biodegradeable and enviromentally friendly wheat pulp with no bleaches or artificial dyes used and will only appear to be an envioronmental hazard..

Muahahaha!! :lol:

WOW, that's a relief. I thought I was going to have to keep watch out in my Plumbing truck (van).

Are you running the 2.4ghz on channel 7? If so, I will need to reset the hidden camera frequencies.

Actually, there was a bit of interference on that band and I had to tweak it up to 2.6ghz to get out of the unlicensed use range. There was a ham radio operator in Canada that was causing issues until I scrambled the signal. I was going to use 5.8 but the same problems were there also. I wouldnt use channel 7 anyway, as channel 3 is the clearest. You need to clean all that bird poop off the roof of that van so the number painted on top is a bit clearer. :lol:

WOW, that's a relief. I thought I was going to have to keep watch out in my Plumbing truck (van).

Are you running the 2.4ghz on channel 7? If so, I will need to reset the hidden camera frequencies.

Actually, there was a bit of interference on that band and I had to tweak it up to 2.6ghz to get out of the unlicensed use range. There was a ham radio operator in Canada that was causing issues until I scrambled the signal. I was going to use 5.8 but the same problems were there also. I wouldnt use channel 7 anyway, as channel 3 is the clearest. You need to clean all that bird poop off the roof of that van so the number painted on top is a bit clearer. :lol:

How do you get away with 2.6ghz? I thought that was strictly reserved for space and mobile applications?

WOW, man, you must have SOME connections!!

How do you get away with 2.6ghz? I thought that was strictly reserved for space and mobile applications?

WOW, man, you must have SOME connections!!

It's not legal. You always have to keep watch for those FCC vans with the funny antennas that track the signal.

Its pretty simple to tune some of the variable capacitors and do a few modifications. Same as a FM radio that can monitor 109Mhz, or a CB radio at 28MHz, or even 27Mhz FM Read some old "Radio Electronics" magazines and it's easy.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

It's not legal. You always have to keep watch for those FCC vans with the funny antennas that track the signal.

Its pretty simple to tune some of the variable capacitors and do a few modifications. Same as a FM radio that can monitor 109Mhz, or a CB radio at 28MHz, or even 27Mhz FM Read some old "Radio Electronics" magazines and it's easy.

Ah, the whole "not legal" thing.

It reminds me of when I was younger and picking up voice pager signals. Just a little modification to a weather band radio. 'twas lots of fun to do call backs.

What's really funny... I DID have black vans looking for me.

Those were the days.....

Do you really prefer tar and feathering to rule of law? :lol:

I prefer Tar and Feathering when the rule of law doesn't work.

Just remember, a "not guilty" verdict doesn't necessarily mean the person is not guilty.

bat-signal.jpg

Hey... you should do that. Your avatar would work perfectly for a searchlight mask!

How do you think the wife calls me to dinner?

Back on topic: string him up, boil him in oil, tar and feather him! Hey, I think I'm starting to get in the spirit of this angry mob thing.

Edited by Castle Mischief

When it comes to identifying appropriate types of punishment, never overlook the value of a good Shunning (from Wikipedia):

Effects

Shunning is often used as a pejorative term to describe any organizationally mandated disassociation, and has acquired a connotation of abuse and relational aggression. This is due to the sometimes extreme damage caused by its disruption to normal relationships between individuals, such as friendships and family relations. Disruption of established relationships certainly causes pain, which is at least an unintended consequence of the practices described here, though it may also in many cases be an intended, coercive consequence. This pain, especially when seen as unjustly inflicted, can have secondary general psychological effects on self-worth and self-confidence, trust and trustworthiness, and can, as with other types of trauma, impair psychological function.

Shunning often involves implicit or explicit shame for a member who commits acts seen as wrong by the group or its leadership. Such shame may not be psychologically damaging if the membership is voluntary and the rules of behavior were clear before the person joined. However, if the rules are arbitrary, if the group membership is seen as essential for personal security, safety, or health, or if the application of the rules is inconsistent, such shame can be highly destructive. This can be especially damaging if perceptions are attacked or controlled, or various tools of psychological pressure applied. Extremes of this cross over the line into psychological torture and can be permanently scarring.

A key detrimental effect of some of the practices associated with shunning relate to their effect on relationships, especially family relationships. At its extremes, the practices may destroy marriages, break up families, and separate children and their parents. The effect of shunning can be very dramatic or even devastating on the shunned, as it can damage or destroy the shunned member's closest familial, spousal, social, emotional, and economic bonds.

Shunning contains aspects of what is known as relational aggression in psychological literature. When used by church members and member-spouse parents against excommunicant parents it contains elements of what psychologists call parental alienation. Extreme shunning may cause traumas to the shunned (and to their dependents) similar to what is studied in the psychology of torture.