Cache maggot arrested.

Cache maggots suck. But arrested and prosecuted? We have stooped (almost) as low as the maggot.

I thought cachers were supposed to be kind, loving and forgiving? Oops.. in these forums, what was I thinking.

Arrested, yes. Prosecuted, no. You were almost arrested, never prosecuted for placing a cache, so why shouldn't this guy get at least as much for (ahem! ...allegedly) stealing one, possibly many more? At least the one that you placed belonged to you!

Cache maggots suck. But arrested and prosecuted? We have stooped (almost) as low as the maggot.

I thought cachers were supposed to be kind, loving and forgiving? Oops.. in these forums, what was I thinking.

The history of stolen caches in that area is long. Many hundreds of caches have gone missing. I suspect that many thousands of dollars worth of cache containers, swag, bugs, and coins have gone missing. The very nature of the game has been distorted in that area. Kind, loving, and forgiving only goes so far.

Arrested, yes. Prosecuted, no. You were almost arrested, never prosecuted for placing a cache, so why shouldn't this guy get at least as much for (ahem! ...allegedly) stealing one, possibly many more? At least the one that you placed belonged to you!

I was not almost arrested. I was almost cited (albeit, several times). Two different things, in my humble opinion.

Now, if he had stolen a full sized toe pincher coffin, I agree :) But if he had stolen all of my nanos, I'd been delighted. In all seriousness, I do believe prosecution is complete waste of public dollars. For gosh sakes, if you want the three bucks to replace that lock-n-lock, stop over some night. I'll help you out.

I was not almost arrested. I was almost cited (albeit, several times). Two different things, in my humble opinion.

While you believe that cachers are supposed to be kind, loving, and forgiving, I believe they are real people. Real people like to get revenge when someone does them wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't cry if he were let free and some cacher knocked on his door and busted him in the face, but that's me (and I'm not suggesting that should be a course of action).

I've walked through life holding back my rage when I felt it. This type of maggot behavior makes the rage-o-meter spike a little.

I just hope the guy pays for his evil deeds somehow (even if he only gets in trouble at work). At least one thing is true. Many of us are laughing at him.

Now, if he had stolen a full sized toe pincher coffin, I agree :) But if he had stolen all of my nanos, I'd been delighted. In all seriousness, I do believe prosecution is complete waste of public dollars. For gosh sakes, if you want the three bucks to replace that lock-n-lock, stop over some night. I'll help you out.

We aren't talking about one LnL. We are talking about hundreds of caches effecting the entirety of local geocaching community. Would you feel the same if every time you went after a cache there was a high probability that it was already gone?

We aren't talking about one LnL. We are talking about hundreds of caches effecting the entirety of local geocaching community. Would you feel the same if every time you went after a cache there was a high probability that it was already gone?

Well, there is that gray area.. on the fence.. you're right I suppose. But I'd still rather donate the three bucks to Knowschad rather than having the county attorney spend 1000's. Maybe we could just hold our own geocaching court. Now that I am on board with.

it in't one loc-n-loc.

it's hundreds of caches, logbooks, trinkets, trackables. a conservative estimate placed the average at one stolen cache each week since 2004.

it's hundreds of cache hunts gone bad for multiple cachers on multiple days.

when you go out after this guy, you can spend a whole day caching and come up with nothing, nothing, and more nothing. he carries bolt cutters. he solves puzzles. he has a premium account. he doesn't mind hiking miles to take your cache, only that he takes it. any cache within a couple hours' drive time of rome is/has been vulnerable.

it makes for a whole different kind of caching day when you spend ten or twelve hours caching and the only cache that's still there is the one you would have needed a chainsaw to get.

good people left the game because they couldn't keep caches on the ground, and most of what they went to find came up missing. other good people spent a significant amount of money replacing repeatedly missing containers.

one cache goes missing and you replace it. it goes missing a couple of times and you maybe think of putting it somewhere else.

when every cache in a sixty mile radius starts to be vulnerable, that's a problem. the difference is scale.

Well, there is that gray area.. on the fence.. you're right I suppose. But I'd still rather donate the three bucks to Knowschad rather than having the county attorney spend 1000's. Maybe we could just hold our own geocaching court. Now that I am on board with.

Oh bullocks!

The county attorney gets paid the same no matter how many cases he prosecutes. It doesn't cost extra to prosecute a case. It's his FULL TIME JOB.

Don't use the "spend money prosecuting" argument. It holds water less efficiently than a sieve.

Edited by bittsen

Oh bullocks!

The county attornet gets paid the same no matter how many cases he prosecutes. It doesn't cost extra to prosecute a case. It's his FULL TIME JOB.

Don't use the "spend money prosecuting" argument. It holds water less efficiently than a sieve.

I hate to go off topic but consider the following:

- Who pays for case research?

- Who pays for document filing and processing?

- The time could be used on more meaningful cases, for both the county and the court system.

- There are a zillion things I can list that fall OUTSIDE of a county attorney's salary that you and me are paying for.

The offender very well may skate on the charge. Too, it is possible he won't. Whatever the outcome of the legal proceedings, it most likely will set precedence.

I wanna know what the Cyber Operations Branch of the Air Force Research Laboratory employer is going to do with a person that they now know they cannot trust. He certainly has demonstrated his trustworthiness, and more than likely has violated any and all security clearances that he had (if any).

Notice that PAO has not yet returned any calls.

Oh bullocks!

The county attornet gets paid the same no matter how many cases he prosecutes. It doesn't cost extra to prosecute a case. It's his FULL TIME JOB.

- The time could be used on more meaningful cases, for both the county and the court system.

- There are a zillion things I can list that fall OUTSIDE of a county attorney's salary that you and me are paying for.

The only difference in this and any other petty theft case, cost wise, is that he will likely plead not guilty and it will probably go to court where most petty theft cases usually plead out. There are some LEOs around here that can probably give a better estimate though.

Edited by GeoBain

Oh bullocks!

Yup, that is why we also pay for his staff. How much research time do you think will go into this case? How many people has this guy effected?

>> I am certain the county attorneys/DAs have a flat-rate account from Lexis or Westlaw.

>> Government entities are almost always exempt from filing costs in court. Certainly DA/County Attorneys are. As for processing, if it weren't this case, it would be something else. This is a fairly fixed cost.

>> So instead of this, they could prosecute an extra shoplifting case? I'm not sure that has much marginal effect.

>> But those things would be used for some other case. Whether a marginal petty larceny is better prosecuted under some other case is a fine argument, but that the County allocates a few thousand dollars to this (as opposed to something else) doesn't have much effect on the bottom line of the prosecutors budget.

I wonder if an enterprising prosecutor could get enough cache owners in the area who had their caches stolen to press charges, then get a warrant to search the guy's house.

You've got hundreds of thefts, probably amounting to thousands of dollars, and you've got probable cause. . .

<snip>

Oh bullocks!

<snip>

Are you a Brit in disguise? :)
He (I haven't met him in real life so he's a he until I see otherwise and even then I may still not know for sure) likes to keep everyone guessing. :)
I concur.

I'd lean away from thinking Mr. B is a Brit, and lean more towards the fact that it was a word that the censoring software in the forum would miss. . . :P

Edited by Too Tall John

I wonder if an enterprising prosecutor could get enough cache owners in the area who had their caches stolen to press charges, then get a warrant to search the guy's house.

You've got hundreds of thefts, probably amounting to thousands of dollars, and you've got probable cause. . .

<snip>

Oh bullocks!

<snip>

Are you a Brit in disguise? :)
He (I haven't met him in real life so he's a he until I see otherwise and even then I may still not know for sure) likes to keep everyone guessing. :)
I concur.

I'd lean away from thinking Mr. B is a Brit, and lean more towards the fact that it was a word that the censoring software in the forum would miss. . . :P

Bullock is my Aunts last name.

As to the issue.

It will not cost much extra (if anything) to prosecute this case. Everyone gets paid if they do or do not do any work. We might as well get our money's worth.

Bullock is my Aunts last name.

As to the issue.

It will not cost much extra (if anything) to prosecute this case. Everyone gets paid if they do or do not do any work. We might as well get our money's worth.

Aunt Sandra? She's hot!! Next time you see her, ask if she'd like to go caching with Knowschad.

As far as costing extra... that all depends on whether or not they need to hire/retain staff to handle the workload, doesn't it?

People get arrested for all sorts of things. A guy in New York was cited last year for littering after he fed birds. The judge dismissed the case at the first opportunity. I suspect the same thing will happen here, if it gets that far. But thinking about that gave me all sorts of ideas about possible defenses: from picking up litter (if the cache was placed without permission) to his intent at the time. It would be fun to do in keeping with my goal of getting criminals back on the street where they belong. I am only surprised he did not toss the container when he ran into the woods, but then perhaps he could have been arrested for littering.

Edited by Erickson
People get arrested for all sorts of things. A guy in New York was arrested last year for littering after he fed birds. The judge dismissed the case at the first opportunity.
You are probably right, but at the very least, this thread is much more interesting than the recent "Uranium Yemon Yime, Winning that haiku" thread, so let's keep speculating!!

Seriously, I'm certain this will eventually be reduced to a non-case, regardless of any perceived dollar amount, but at least it is setting a precedence of sorts, and will probably cost the ( alleged ) perp at least some time, if not some money.

I don't care if he's prosecuted or not. I just want to hear his side of the story. He's gonna have to explain himself to somebody, whether it's the local police, a judge, or just his boss. I really want to know why and how come and what for and all that.

It's fascinating to think about. From what I've read in various forums about the Utica/Rome cache maggot (if this is indeed the same person) he's more obsessed and determined than most cachers.

Seriously, I'm certain this will eventually be reduced to a non-case, regardless of any perceived dollar amount, but at least it is setting a precedence of sorts, and will probably cost the ( alleged ) perp at least some time, if not some money.

...and as with most ¿good? crooks, he will learn from his mistake (on how not to get caught). :)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I don't care if he's prosecuted or not. I just want to hear his side of the story. He's gonna have to explain himself to somebody, whether it's the local police, a judge, or just his boss. I really want to know why and how come and what for and all that.

It's fascinating to think about. From what I've read in various forums about the Utica/Rome cache maggot (if this is indeed the same person) he's more obsessed and determined than most cachers.

If it is 'The Guy' then yes, he is. What drives such a person?

Anti-social behavior. A sociopath. Quite possibly (or not) the next Ted Kazinski.

Waddayathink about that, U.S. Air Force?

Some people might say public service, based on things like the anti-caching facebook site. But I attribute it to the usual assortment of childhood traumas, ptsd, coffee addiction, and the like. Perhaps he was once in love with a cacher and she (or he) jilted him. Perhaps he was dissed on the forums. Perhaps someone beat him to a FTF and its never been the same. You never know.

Edited by Erickson

WE didn't arrest him, the police did. Prosecution is up to the state, it's not our call. It may or may not happen. As far as being forgiving, forgive some teenager who stole a cache or two to get his jollies, sure. Forgive a guy who may be the person who has dedicated his life to destroying our sport in the region? Sure, we can forgive him too, but please allow us to take delight in any inconveniences that his actions will bring upon him.

The offender very well may skate on the charge. Too, it is possible he won't. Whatever the outcome of the legal proceedings, it most likely will set precedence.

I wanna know what the Cyber Operations Branch of the Air Force Research Laboratory employer is going to do with a person that they now know they cannot trust. He certainly has demonstrated his trustworthiness, and more than likely has violated any and all security clearances that he had (if any).

Notice that PAO has not yet returned any calls.

I'd love to know what the Air Force thinks of his activities..........

Yeah, me too.

Anyone know what the "Cyber Operations Branch" of the Air Force Research Laboratory Information Directorate is ?

I went on their site and it looks like they're simply IT. Tough reading military speak.

If it's more than that and a high-end clearance is required, you can bet some officers are already looking at his computer to see if he's using the Air Force's equiptment for his cache-stealin' activities.

At over 50, with the job market the way it is today, it could be his employer who probably does the most damage.

Even if he's not convicted, at least everyone now knows who he is.

If he works for AFRL and has a security clearance, this is going to cause him some serious trouble whether or not he is convicted.

It makes you wonder. What was this fool thinking to risk what he had for small jollies wrecking other people's fun?

If he works for AFRL and has a security clearance, this is going to cause him some serious trouble whether or not he is convicted.

It makes you wonder. What was this fool thinking to risk what he had for small jollies wrecking other people's fun?

Wild guess. One that I made years ago when this guy first appeared on the scene. He's an eco-warrior and sees geocaching as an environmental scourge.

It may or may not. It will, of course, pop up as any arrest within a 7 (or 10) year period, depending on the level of clearance. But my understanding is that adjudicators will look at a person's entire life and the context of the infraction. Taking a small magnetic container that was left someplace may not be a problem if the rest of his history is clean.

Edited by Erickson

Wild guess. One that I made years ago when this guy first appeared on the scene. He's an eco-warrior and sees geocaching as an environmental scourge.

Maybe but I think he's just a guy who has a lot of pressure and structure at work and is disruptive to combat his internal demons.

If you think about it. Many uf us have hundreds or thousands of caches we have found and replaced. It sounds like he was like a regular cacher with his passion but just took all of his finds.

If this makes the environment better, by making people look for something that isn't there, he's dead wrong.

Maybe but I think he's just a guy who has a lot of pressure and structure at work and is disruptive to combat his internal demons.

If you think about it. Many uf us have hundreds or thousands of caches we have found and replaced. It sounds like he was like a regular cacher with his passion but just took all of his finds.

If this makes the environment better, by making people look for something that isn't there, he's dead wrong.

I think he was once an avid cacher and someone posted a NA log on one of his caches and he went rogue.

(Yes, I'm aware the NA log was not around in 2004. This was a joke. Thanks for playing along.)

He apparently has a hobby which involves use of a gpsr:

Assuming that its the same person, he might need a hobby. He wrote one paper about "Future space-based platforms can and will benefit from the implementation of photonics in both analog and digital subsystems. This paper discusses the potential applications and advantages of photonics to space-based platforms. These applications include radiofrequency distribution links, true time delay, local oscillator generation, photonically implemented signal processing, and high speed analog-to-digital signal conversion."

Not to mention to contributing to a few books, such as Multifrequency Electronic/ Photonic Devices and Systems for Dual-use Applications.

It explains a lot of things for me. He is probably a puzzle cacher who got pushed over the edge. It happens all the time.

Edited by Erickson
Sheesh. Where will it stop? :)

Way before any of those hideously exaggerated examples... :)

We have stooped (almost) as low as the maggot.

Interesting take. Allowing the law to take its course is somehow almost as bad as intentional theft.

Uh.... er..... OK. I'll guess I'll just have to ponder that one a while, 'cuz I ain't seein' it.

In my book, deliberately victimizing another soul is several degrees worse than convicting a thief.

They could start with the caches in the car. If the owners put identifying data on or in them such as GC numbers, cache names or contact information. That would give them a list of potential victims. It might also give them a timeline to work with. If the investigation revealed that he was in possession of numerous caches, stolen over an extensive period, a Judge might issue a search warrant for the residence.

It would be fun to do in keeping with my goal of getting criminals back on the street where they belong.

Yup. Can't have them pesky criminals being held accountable for their actions. Heck, you lock them up and that interferes with their right to rob, rape and murder the innocent. The nerve of those cops! What were they thinking? :P

This story is TRUE!!!! This cache thief has been stealing caches in our area for the past 7 years!!!! The thief was caught at a cache called The Wishing Tree, GC23RVX in Rome NY. I posted the info over on GitBuff and GOF placed the newspaper article here for you to see. Here is some more info that took place before the article came out:

"Bio: Paul Repak, age 58, is an engineer at the Rome Air Force Research Laboratory. He is also a state licensed guide and a canoe paddler in competitions (the 90-miler, etc.), and a Crew Boss Boonville Search and Rescue.

"WE CAUGHT THE GEO THEIF. As Johfra and I (Kayleo) were driving past one of my newly listed caches on the old air force base in Rome, we saw a man at the site. We made a circle back around and drove to where his vehicle was parked. As I stepped out of the van to take a picture or his liscense plate, he took off running into the trees. We searched for him for awhile, and even saw him come around the back side of the building where his car was parked. When we noticed him and headed toward him, he once again took off running. The police were called. A report was filed and a stake out of the vehicle commenced. He returned to his vehicle a short time later, only to be apprehended by the police. We made a positive identification. His vehicle was searched. Log books from our caches and magnetic key holders, as well as lists of caches and their coordinates were found in his vehicle by the police. When we left, they were taking him in a patrol car to the station to be prosecuted. The charges probably won't stick, but we know who he is - PAUL REPAK - he lives in the BOONVILLE area and works on base. He will have to go to court and may even face other charges if they can get a warrant for his house. This is no joke. This really happened. We got the bastard.

The police found magnetic key holders and log books from our cache in Oriskany- with our handwriting in it - in his glove box. He was arrested and they were looking into whether or not they could search his house."

I have an excel spreadsheet of ALL the caches this creep stole for the first 4 years! The cache owners went to and replaced the caches only to be stolen again and again and again. We just kept replacing them as we didn't want the creep to win. This is also recorded on the spreadsheet. With this info he has stolen 1000's and 1000's of caches just in the 2004-2007 time frame. Even more so since then in the 2008-2010. Most of new caches have been micros but now we can start placing larger ones. In the beginning he was stealing caches thoughout central NY (Rome, Utica, Herkimer, Old Forge, Watertown and in all the small towns in between plus the Adirondacks (Southern & Northern)). For the past year or so he was concentrating more on Boonville/Rome area with some hits in Utica.

There will be more articles but from someone who knows more about geocaching then the clown at Rome Sentinel, placed in more newspapers. They will be posted here also.

He was charged with CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF STOLEN PROPERTY FIFTH DEGREE (A Misdemeanor) PENAL LAW 165.40 (Committed on or after Nov. 1, 1986)

This can stick if its done right. You can see what it involves HERE

If he is an active member of the US Military then this charge could be more severe as anyone in the military will tell you.

For the record, I am betting that it results in an ACD.
ACD?

Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal. Means that they put the charges off for a period of time and if you are a good boy or girl they seal the records and let you get on with life as if it never happened.

Which is called a P J C in North Carolina!

Prayer for Judgement Coninued

Different term, but means the same thing.

Probably a few more terms in other states!! ??

When I first read the original post on this, my first thought was it's not a winnable charge. Why? Because to have a reasonably good chance at winning a case like this, it would have to be convincingly shown he had intent to deprive someone of the use of the piece of property. Not easy to do when it's known that people routinely retrieve a cache, especially a micro, and go somewhere less obvious to do the needed log work. He could easily explain his running away as an attempt to evade someone he thought were "muggles." Granted, running away is a bit of a strange way of doing it, but "strangeness" is not a violation of law.

Howver, reading further on, I see there were other caches, logs, etc. found in his car. That would go a really long way in negating a claim he was merely trying to get to somewhere less viewable to sign a log. It's easy to explain away one or two, but any more than that and intent starts to rear it's ugly head.

As I read this, I was beginning to have a hunch/thought/suspiciion about this person that he just might see himself as protecting the environment from the harm people tramping through the woods and fields might inflict. You know, an if the caches aren't there no one will walk through creating trails and leaving trash kind of thing. Sort of an ELF type if you're familiar with them. Then I saw Briansnat had come to the same conclusion. From what little bit I've read here about the long time this has been going on in that area and the number of caches involved, I would have to say this was, and still is, a little more than a random act by a bored person with a chip on his shoulder.

I'd be really interested in seeing if there has been this type of pattern of behavior anywhere else.

I would love to see the statutory reference to the charges against this person: What part of that states penal code is he charged with breaking. Could turn out to be a place no one wants to go. Found something in woods, charged with a crime--In my mind it sounds a little weak. He can very simply have his lawyer proffer that without any testimony and most judges I know of would see it and dismiss, most prosecutors I know of would not even take it up. I think briansnat has a view on it, there are those who do not like our hobby, claiming we have environmental impact , this sounds like this type of case. :)

Edited by Packanack

This story is TRUE!!!! ...

Congratulations to the observant people that spotted the thief and acted to ensure an arrest. Although it's not going to directly protect caches in Britain from this particular thief, it's nice to know that the police do take notice of such reports and will follow through with action.

There's a long tradition of caching items in the outdoors, and it's a shame when some people feel that they can take stuff just because it wasn't being guarded.

"Bio: Paul Repak, age 58, is an engineer at the Rome Air Force Research Laboratory. He is also a state licensed guide and a canoe paddler in competitions (the 90-miler, etc.), and a Crew Boss Boonville Search and Rescue.

That might explain my DNF on a cache along the Oswegatchie River (just under 2 hours from Rome) that was half a days paddle and over 6 miles from any road.