Cache In Weed Out?

WebiG

I'm new to geocaching (65 finds, woo hoo!) and also work with the invasive plant program for the Forest Service in the Pacific Northwest. I haven't been to a CITO event yet. Based on a suggestion from a rancher in Colorado, I am wondering if the following ideas might work, and would love some feedback.

1) Organize a CITO-type event where the object could be to clean up trash and/or pull invasive plants harming the native ecosystem. We have weed-pull events on a regular basis, and enthusiasm always wanes.... I thought maybe bringing in the geocache aspect would be fun.

2) Establish a couple caches at a site where hand-pulling the weeds is appropriate. The cache description could have information about the weeds, how to identify them, when is the best time to pull, etc. More of an on-going cache maintenance idea rather than an "event." I would like to create and place some weed education coins and materials in these or other caches.

Would either of these violate any CITO or cache placement guidelines? Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

WebiG

The first part of your question is perfectly appropriate as long as you, as a Geocacher, are hosting the Event. You probably would have some difficulty getting a CITO Event Published that was being hosted by a Park or other non-Geocaching agency. You can go to my Profile to see some examples of such Events.

The second part of your question seems a bit problematic since most of the Land Managers that I have contact with would not allow an unsupervised pulling like you are suggesting.

Good luck!

Yep, I'm all over the landowner permission part...

Touchstone, it sounds like you've done exactly what I was thinking about. Great job going after those invasives. :unsure: If I'm deducing correctly, some aspects of a successful CITO weed pull would be to have it in an area where there are geocaches nearby, and to place some special caches just for the event participants. Couple more questions:

Where do I look into getting some unique geocoins made?

How has the turn-out been for some of these weed events?

Does having camping nearby increase the chances for participation?

Ah. Hmm... I saw the title of this thread, and something entirely different came to mind! :unsure:

There was a program by the state of New Jersey, through the NYNJTC to identify and report invasive aliens, using the GPS. Not sure how it made out.

The major invasive alien plants that I see are Japanese barberry, and purple loosestrife. And a swamp reed. But I cannot think of the nae of that one. Even the deer won't eat those. They are so thoroughly ingrained that I think it would take a major effort to try to remove them. Good luck, but the effort seems futile. :D

Ah. Hmm... I saw the title of this thread, and something entirely different came to mind! :rolleyes:

There was a program by the state of New Jersey, through the NYNJTC to identify and report invasive aliens, using the GPS. Not sure how it made out.

The major invasive alien plants that I see are Japanese barberry, and purple loosestrife. And a swamp reed. But I cannot think of the nae of that one. Even the deer won't eat those. They are so thoroughly ingrained that I think it would take a major effort to try to remove them. Good luck, but the effort seems futile. :huh:

I was thinking along the same lines. Anytime the W word is mentioned here in beautiful Northern California, it means something a little different....

I like the idea, but I too am not sure how well it'll work out. Can't hurt to try though.

Anytime the W word is mentioned here in beautiful Northern California, it means something a little different....

Well, there are opportunities out there for trip leaders bold enough to step up to the plate <_<

Marijuana Grow Sites Restoration Projects

If I'm deducing correctly, some aspects of a successful CITO weed pull would be to have it in an area where there are geocaches nearby, and to place some special caches just for the event participants.

It's a nice bonus, but I'm no sure it's all that important. Three of the eradication projects that I've attended have been in National Parks, where Virtuals and Earthcaches were the only Geocaches available. Rather than throwing out a bunch of containers, I would suggest focusing on the Event and making it a big success for the attendees and the Land Managers that benefit from the work.

Where do I look into getting some unique geocoins made?

Keeping in mind that minting a coin can be quite expensive, I've only seen one done for a CITO Event, which was cohosted by the local Return of the Natives group and a local Geocacher. Ironically, the work for that Event had more to do with picking up trash than pulling invasives. Your best bet is to look at one of the pinned threads in the Geocoin Forums to check out the various coin vendors.

How has the turn-out been for some of these weed events?

Does having camping nearby increase the chances for participation?

Kind of depends on your area I suppose. I really like camping, but it's not for everyone. We have a very supportive local group, and our turnouts are typically >50 participants.

Good luck :unsure:

For several years there was a popular campout for geocachers at Champoeg State Park where Oregon became a state 151 years ago. On Saturday mornings during the main event, there was a CITO which involved quite a few cachers cutting and pulling English Ivy near the river. The parks staff gladly let us borrow gloves and pruners. The CITO was followed by a potluck lunch at a nearby large pavilion. Some cachers that did not want to camp, just came for the potluck event.

These are all great suggestions and I appreciate the tips. I'll be asking some of our local parks and others with experience in permitting and supplying a CITO event. Personally, I do not believe that addressing invasive plants is a futile effort. At a local scale, a multi-year weed control effort can have astounding results. I personally led a control effort in Southern California that restored stream flow and breeding endangered fish, and was followed by the colonization of the area by an endangered frog - all from removing a weed that is an "ecosystem engineer" (drastically alters ecosystem functions). So, there's my soapbox!!!

Ah. Hmm... I saw the title of this thread, and something entirely different came to mind! :anitongue:

The major invasive alien plants that I see are Japanese barberry, and purple loosestrife. And a swamp reed. But I cannot think of the nae of that one. Even the deer won't eat those. They are so thoroughly ingrained that I think it would take a major effort to try to remove them. Good luck, but the effort seems futile. :laughing:

Your reed may be this one... New Jersey has enough to feed the world.

Phragmites

In this area a garlic mustard pull might be feasible. It pulls easily and is easy for anyone to identify with a minute of training.

Edited by edscott