paperless

fendermallot

My family and I just started caching and we LOVE it! We bought an eTrex Legend and we are slowly finding out that it is almost impossible to use in Oregon. We love the idea of going paperless but, as with everyone, money can be an issue.

I'm going to be getting a small bonus soon ($200-300) and I'm also going to try and sell this Legend as it's virtually brand new. So looking at a price range of 250-350 which paperless model should I be shooting for? I'd prefer to stick with Garmin, but I'm open to learning about the Delorme models (I think those are the other paperless models I've read about).

Should I stick to ebay in hopes of getting a used or virtually new model on the cheap?

We're open to all suggestions!

Thanks so much guys and gals!

My family and I just started caching and we LOVE it! We bought an eTrex Legend and we are slowly finding out that it is almost impossible to use in Oregon. We love the idea of going paperless but, as with everyone, money can be an issue.

I'm going to be getting a small bonus soon ($200-300) and I'm also going to try and sell this Legend as it's virtually brand new. So looking at a price range of 250-350 which paperless model should I be shooting for? I'd prefer to stick with Garmin, but I'm open to learning about the Delorme models (I think those are the other paperless models I've read about).

Should I stick to ebay in hopes of getting a used or virtually new model on the cheap?

$250-350 can get you into a very nice paperless Garmin GPS for sure. Colorado or Oregon. I've used both the Colorado 400t, and now the Oregon 550t, and both are fantastic GPSs. I really couldn't say anything bad about either, but I went to the Oregon 550t for the photo capabilities, as I'm big on pictures while geocaching.

My Pop, who is slightly less technically inclined than I am, started with an Oregon 200, but hated the touch screen. So he took over my Colorado when I got my Oregon, and he absolutely LOVES it. It basically is the Oregon, minus the touch screen.

So my advice would be to decide if you want touch screen or not, and buy accordingly. eBay has Colorado 400ts for around $320ish, and Oregon models can be had for $300-400 depending on model and maps, etc.

Good luck with your decision!

What you'll find is (mostly) Garmin lovers love Garmin; Delorme users love Delorme. ;)

We like both, but use the Delorme PN-40. Yes, it does eat batteries, but we carry many extras in the backpack anyway and haven't ran into a problem. But then too, we don't leave it turned on when it really isn't necessary!

I think you would be happy with either brand in your price range.

If you can do without a few fancy features, REI has the Delorme PN 30 on sale now for $169.95.

Thanks for the tip. It may be awhile before I'm actually able to buy a new one though. My union signed a new contract and now the company I work for is apparently refusing to pay the retro raise that it had agreed to in the contract in the first place. I'll get the money, but the question is whether the courts will have to get involved to force their hand.

I like the idea of the touchscreen, I got to play with one briefly at the NW Sportsman show in Portland this last week (i get in for free, it's awesome!). I was worried before I got to pick it up that the buttons would be hard to hit, but it was really smooth. I found a retailer last night that had an oregon 200 for 230 brand new and a dakota 10 for 250. They seem like pretty decent deals from what I've seen. If I wanted to buy brand new.

Are there any huge differences between the oregon and dakota lower end models other than size? and storage space? I have a comparrison chart from Garmin in front of me but it doesn't list the Oregon 200 or 300.

I'd stick with a Garmin Oregon model for shear ease of use and nice interface.

If the unit is primarily for Geocaching, I'd look into the Lowrance Endura series. They feature the best in-unit Geocaching features available. The higher end units also offer autorouting and electronic compass. These had some bad early reviews but after some firmware updates - they are shaping up to be wonderful units. Future updates promise to add more features.

Are there any huge differences between the oregon and dakota lower end models other than size? and storage space? I have a comparrison chart from Garmin in front of me but it doesn't list the Oregon 200 or 300.

Oregon 200 - no "unit-to-unit" wireless transfer

Dakota 10 - no microSD card slot, no unit-to-unit

I wouldn't buy a Dakota 10, the lack of a microSD card slot is absolutely crippling and you can pick up an Oregon 200 for around the same price. The Oregon 300 and Dakota 20 are very similar with the exception of screen resolution and screen size. The other big difference is the older Oregon units (X00 series: 200, 300, 400) screens aren't as bright as the Dakota and newer (X50 series: 450, 550) Oregon units. I haven't compared them side-by-side to be able to describe if it's really a big difference or not. The unit-to-unit feature seems a bit gimmicky to me, but I'm rarely out with a group. Unit-to-unit apparently doesn't support transferring all the information contained in a GPX file for paperless caching, it only transfers the waypoint (location data only).

I went with the Dakota 20 b/c I found a good price on it and I don't care about Wherigo support. The Oregon series all support Wherigo, the Dakota does not. I wanted the smaller size as well. The Dakota does not support spanner/NMEA so you can't use it with programs like MS Streets & Trips. That's not a problem for me, I have 2 other GPS receivers.

For what it's worth, the Oregon 300 seems to be at a price/feature sweet spot right now. If you want something a little smaller then the Dakota is the best bet. Either one will set you back around $325 from the big box stores, some of the smaller companies are pricing far more aggressively so it pays to shop around. If you're familiar with it, resellerratings.com is a great resource to check out online retaillers you may not be familiar with.

Edited by jopasm

If the unit is primarily for Geocaching, I'd look into the Lowrance Endura series. They feature the best in-unit Geocaching features available. The higher end units also offer autorouting and electronic compass. These had some bad early reviews but after some firmware updates - they are shaping up to be wonderful units. Future updates promise to add more features.

Are the Lowrance supported by geocaching.com for downloading geocaches?

Via a browser plug-in on the listing pages?? - no, strictly speaking.

However - you don't need any plug-ins or software for both the Enduras and Garmin models.

Just click the GPX button on any cache page and save it to the \garmin\gpx folder on your garmin or the \gpx folder on the Enduras. Save any PQ to the same folder and you are all set. No software needed at all.

However - you don't need any plug-ins or software for both the Enduras and Garmin models.

Just click the GPX button on any cache page and save it to the \garmin\gpx folder on your garmin or the \gpx folder on the Enduras. Save any PQ to the same folder and you are all set. No software needed at all.

I've played around with an Oregon, it seemed pretty easy. How is the learning curve on a Lowrance? And which should I shoot for? Safari, sierra, out&back?

I've played around with an Oregon, it seemed pretty easy. How is the learning curve on a Lowrance? And which should I shoot for? Safari, sierra, out&back?

The Lowrance units are fairly intuitive and use a combo touchscreen/button interface. A little different but not bad.

I have the out&back but its major drawback is no ability to add autorouting. I'd look at the safari if I was going to use it for car routing as well.

We don't go many places we don't know how to get to as it is(kids), so having an auto GPS isn't really necessary. As such, my GPSr is dedicated for outdoor activities.

That being said, is the out&back enough machine to meet my needs? I read briefly the specs on Lowrance's website and it seems like they're beefy enough, they look and sound as if they are as durable as the Garmins

Either way, I'll keep and eye on both types. I don't have any $ yet so I'm not rushing out to buy right this minute. Maybe when the time comes I'll stumble across a good deal.

Edited by fendermallot

We don't go many places we don't know how to get to as it is(kids), so having an auto GPS isn't really necessary. As such, my GPSr is dedicated for outdoor activities.

That being said, is the out&back enough machine to meet my needs? I read briefly the specs on Lowrance's website and it seems like they're beefy enough, they look and sound as if they are as durable as the Garmins

Either way, I'll keep and eye on both types. I don't have any $ yet so I'm not rushing out to buy right this minute. Maybe when the time comes I'll stumble across a good deal.

I like mine a lot.

Frankly - overall, I perfer my Oregon unit slightly but that is simply because of the free maps and autorouting I do with it. For strictly Geocaching - I am starting to really lean toward the O&B.

The Lowrance units are fairly intuitive and use a combo touchscreen/button interface. A little different but not bad.

I have the out&back but its major drawback is no ability to add autorouting. I'd look at the safari if I was going to use it for car routing as well.

Prices are dropping on both the Safari and Sierra to $299 & $399 respectively, so based on that you might want to consider the Safari.

Just curious what makes the Legend impossible to use in Oregon?

I have a Garmin Vista HCx that I love, but no paperless and no touchscreen. I just got a PN-40, which I think is the best bang for the buck along with the MapLibrary subscription (sub $30). I picked up my 40 from Amazon for $199 new. You need to check back frequently as their promos change regularly.

The PN-40 gives you paperless, but no touchscreen. I honestly think that you will be more than pleased with any of the units you are considering. Like someone else said, the Garmin people love their Garmins, and the Delorme people love their Delormes. The Enduras started out rocky but are supposedly greatly improved with each firmware revision.

In any case, eat up the info, and just take the dive. You will be happy with any of the options!

:(

Prices are dropping on both the Safari and Sierra to $299 & $399 respectively, so based on that you might want to consider the Safari.

When?? - some online shopping shows nothing different.....