Cache In Trash Out for Earth Day

Jeremy

Arbor Day is April 22. The holiday was created in Nebraska and was set on that date. It is an official Nebraska State holiday (day off with pay for government employees, yay!) on the 22nd. I don't think it is an official holiday (the kind where government employees get the day off) anywhere else. To the extent other states or the federal government recognize it on a different day, I view it kind of like President's day where a date is set to place the holiday on or around a weekend. Regardless, I would say the correct historical date for it is April 22.

pokeanim3.gif

Now I have to correct myself. I just looked at the official court calender and we get the last Friday in April off for Arbor Day. I don't remember it being that way in the past. I'll stick by what I said otherwise though. The official date of the holiday is still listed generally as April 22 (which was Morton's birthday). It now appears though that Nebraska government employees get the day off for it on a Friday.

pokeanim3.gif

GCDC12 - The Great Austin Earth Day Trash-Out Picnic

(Give us a couple weeks, We'll come up with a more catchy name.) Instead of a simple cache-in trash-out (which we've done before), we're adding a picnic cookout to the mix. Nothing fancy: burgers, hot dogs, maybe a pot luck or two. Haven't put all the details together yet but we've got the word out for Austin area cachers to identify the trashiest park on which to focus our energy. I've also got some contacts at the local TV station, we'll see if they can be persuaded to cover a human interest story for earth/arbor day. These guys are always looking for fluff to fill the air time with in case there is no hard news to report. "Hundreds of geeks pick up trash: film at eleven."

Our Event Cache page is now posted for the Earth Day Cleanup at Raccoon Creek Park! Check out this thread in the Northeast forums if you have questions or comments, and to read more about a great success story where we are now working hand-in-hand with park management at a park where there are presently no geocaches.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

We've got central PA going now too. Those in the Mifflin/Centre county area should check this out.

If there's anyone in other corners of the state interested in organizing a cleanup, I've got contacts with a couple other PA state parks willing to work with us on a cleanup, just send me an e-mail.

Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not ALL out to get you.

Are there just too many tree-hugging hippies (I'm one of them!) in California to warrant a special day for trash cleanup? icon_smile.gif (I doubt it!)

Seriously though, I haven't see any mention of any California groups getting in on this. Personally I make every trip a cache in, trash out trip (just shove some plastic shopping backs in my backpack before heading out) but would love o see some folks get together to clean up some particularly nasty spots.

I'm in the bay area, anyone else interested?

quote:
Originally posted by Unfurl:

Are there just too many tree-hugging hippies (I'm one of them!) in California to warrant a special day for trash cleanup? icon_smile.gif (I doubt it!)

Seriously though, I haven't see any mention of any California groups getting in on this. Personally I make every trip a cache in, trash out trip (just shove some plastic shopping backs in my backpack before heading out) but would love o see some folks get together to clean up some particularly nasty spots.

It seems to me that the best way to gauge interest is to organize an event cache yourself and ask interested parties to post a note on the page. More people in PA responded to the 2 event caches posted so far than responded to posts in the Northeast forum. My recommendation would be to pick a park, talk to the whoever's in charge of it about doing a cleanup, then submit an event cache.

Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not ALL out to get you.

We'll be putting together a landing page for the event shortly. We're planning on deep discounting shirts and logo'd trash bags for the event. Both will be available in 2 weeks for shipping, so we'll let you know the designs in the next week or so.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

The River City Geocaching Society is working with the Sacramento Urban Creeks Council to clean up a creek or two in our area on April 12th. I know this is a bit before Earth Day, but this event wasn't organized by us. We're joining them because much legwork has already been done to scout locations, and they're providing free food after the cleanup. icon_wink.gif

I wonder if the shirts can be ready and delivered by then...

We have 20-30 people who plan on joining in. We haven't finalized the location yet, but hope to do so by the end of this week.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

quote:

OK itchy

We have 9 counties. Which one?... I figure you either live in Bezerkeley or are a Marinite.

I'm in need of direction, I can't see the satelites for the trees there.

quote:
Originally posted by cycyclist:

quote:

OK itchy

We have 9 counties. Which one?... I figure you either live in Bezerkeley or are a Marinite.

I'm in need of direction, I can't see the satelites for the trees there.

Nope, I'm in Martinez (Contra Costa County)

I did the Playground Madness #1 cache In Rankin Park the other day and packed out 3 bags of trash and didn't even put a dent in the heaps of crap that are up there icon_frown.gif

-Unfurl

While we're shuffling the forums all around, is there any way to move this thread over to the new Cache-in, Trash-out forum? This is a great thread that I refer to often, to see who else is running a CITO event. I've corresponded with several other sponsors and have given/received some good ideas.

EDIT: Hooray! Thanks, Elias, for moving this thread and the CITO T-shirt thread over to this new forum. You surely must have your hands full today, and this was a nice little thing to do.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

[This message was edited by The Leprechauns on March 28, 2003 at 10:59 AM.]

We just had a meeting for the sole purpose of discussing Earth Day. We don't have a geocaching group in Cincinnati yet, so a bunch of locals cachers joined us for a quick discussion. We decided to join with the Cincinnati Park Board to help clean up on their "Green Up Day" On May 3rd. Anyone wishing to help can email me for details.

Anyone in the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area of VA know of a good place to get together for this. Any really messy parks?

Cacheola Crew

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

icon_smile.gif

GEOCKY (GeoCachers of Central Kentucky) had a great cleanup day today. We filled a dumptruck with garbage from Veterans Park in Lexington, Kentucky. We had an excellent turnout and everyone worked hard.

Everyone had a great time and we enjoyed a nice barbecue afterward at the park. It was a beautiful day for a cleanup. A few folks from out of town enjoyed all of the new caches that have cropped up in Lexington in the last few months.

A few pictures and details will be available in a few days on our web page (www.geocky.org) - as soon as I have a chance to publish them and wrap a page around it. icon_smile.gif

all:

I didn't see any local, organized action around NW Indiana, so I did my tiny bit; carrying out some very recent fast food trash from one site, and some police tape from another. How sad is that? I've taken to carrying a plastic bag with me to pick up stuff to dump when I get back onto the more traveled ways.

Every little bit helps, right?

-the flashcat

"It is by Caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion;

It is by the beans of Java, that my thoughts acquire speed-

The hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning-

It is by Caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion..."-me

We also did not have an organized event cache - so the Hot Dogs Off Trail (from Wisconsin) and the Cachecrazies (from Arkansas) did their own Earth Day celebration by trashing out on every cache they went to on this weekend.

Found a really neat party place in Missouri - obviously a popular place as it was full of unmentionables as well as still full beer cans!

And a number of empty ones! Trashed out also on the Last Ferry cache with many, many bags of trash from an old homesite. Have pictures but don't know how to put them here! Sorry!

We had our Clean Up Day a little later than most groups. The park that we cleaned up had a Senior Olympic on the day that most cleaned, so it was changed to May 17th.

We had a great turn-out on a rainy day. Our group supplied about 60 workers that cleaned trails, roadways and layed new mulch for the park. The Park Board was amazed that so many of our people showed up for this event, as the weather was not cooperative. With our actions at this event, I am sure that we have started a good relationship with this city park. It will help alot as we try to start our own caching group and make contacts with all the area parks.

Thanks to all the cachers that helped on this event. I am proud of all of you and thank you for your devotion.

Jamey

Ladybuggers!