Completly NEW to Geocaching.

Conor88

Hey guys.

My name is Conor, I'm from the Glasgow area of Scotland. I hope I'm posting in the right section as I really have no clue. I first read about Geocaching a couple of years ago but never got into it because I didn't have the money. I only recently remembered about it a couple of days ago and got quite excited. I thought I would check out some start up costs.

I don't have much of a clue when it comes to GPS. It would be great if someone could recommend me one for under £200. Like what features I'm looking for etc. I was reading the GPS facts but it all seems to be discussing American models or ones out my price range.

Also is there any sort of other gear i should have like backpack etc.

I noticed there were a fair few caches around my area so I'd like to maybe get into checking some out.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry if I shouldn't have posted ! ;)

Where are our manners!??!!! If no one else will, I will step up and welcome you to the hobby!! :huh: While I am on the other side of the big water, I'm afraid I can't really help you ast to what GPS is cheap and available over there. A lot will depend on the features you want, and of course your price range. I read on this forum of many people hunting with their cell phones!! Which most people already own.

You might try reading in the GPS Garage sale area found further down the main page!!! Good luck to you and again, welcome to the madness!!!! :)

p.s Dont feel the need to apologize for posting... that's what the board is here for!!! ;)

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Hello, and Welcome!

I am also on the other side of the world but I have used my Garmin Oregon in Europe with no problem and I tend to recommend it to everyone ;) As far a caching backpack goes, it depends on the caches you do, you would need more for a long hike vs a park and grab. I tend to use a camelback with some room for the basic hiking gear.

There are threads about both these topics in the forums though so I'm sure if you just look around all your questions will be answered :huh:

Have fun cacheing!

Hurshh

Welcome to the obsession!!! I highly recommend any of the Garmin Oregon units. I had an Etrex but it wasn't as user friendly as I wanted. Lot's of great GPS's out there though. We use a small backpack to carry all our "stuff".

Hang around here and you'll find the answers to all your questions. Again...Welcome!

I'm new too, and got a Garmin Oregon 550 because it said it was the easiest to use. It kind of works like an itouch or iphone, and is easy. I have found six caches since I started a week ago. It's super exciting! I read a lot and bought the Garmin through Amazon (it was probably right around 200 pounds-don't know the exchange rate exactly). I got the 550 because it had the camera and I didn't want to carry both.

Good luck, I've found the forums very helpful and feel like I've learned a lot already, although I have a long way to go. I also read "The complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching" also ordered from Amazon, and it was really helpful, but this forum has been the most helpful.

Thanks very much for your welcomes guys :)

I'll have a look about or a GPS then. I liked the look of the Garmin Dakota 10? but I'm not sure if I should spend that much on a GPS. I like the idea of paperless caching. I've been reading a little about that.

I had a look in th UK garage sale section with no luck.

If anyone could give me any more info it would be great.

Thanks a lot

Hey Conor,

Welcome, I'm in Glasgow too :) Can't give you much advice on the GPS as I use probably the most basic model, yellow etrex - Tiso's used to hire them out for the day, maybe still do, if you want to give it a try. Most of the caches around the city are micros or nanos (ie, really small) so I'd suggest avoiding those for your first few hunts, maybe head out a wee bit. I'd offer to meet up and show you the ropes but am going to be away with work for the next couple of months, feel free to get in touch if you've any questions though.

Happy caching, be warned - it's seriously addictive!

:P

Welcome Conor :)

Pinned at the top of this forum you'll see some links that are useful for beginners and when you have more specific questions there's a lot of help available from cachers on these forums.

If you haven't discovered it yet, there's also Groundspeak's regional forum for UK and Ireland, another forum at the Geocaching Association of GB and two Scottish geocaching forums

GeoX forum

Geofrees Scotland

Also, keep an eye open for any geocaching events listed in your part of Scotland as they're an excellent way to meet your local geocachers.

Finally, put a circle around 31st July for the UK's 3rd Geocaching Mega Event in Perth.

MrsB

I am new (3 weeks) and totally addicted. I find myself planning the next geocache and how soon I can go. I have even been going at lunch!!!

:unsure:

I have a Etrex vista hCX. Not one highly commented on the forum. My friend uses the basic yellow model of this. Both work excellent. Mine was $229.00. It's not paperless but does come with a cord that allows you to download Geocaches. When your out caching it will tell you the closest one and the next and next......

I hope to upgrade one day but this sure will work for now. I am on number 67 cache found and can't wait for the weekend to put in some more time!! It's very addicting. A great way to see places you didn't know were there.

Good luck and happy caching.

Hey guys.

My name is Conor, I'm from the Glasgow area of Scotland. I hope I'm posting in the right section as I really have no clue. I first read about Geocaching a couple of years ago but never got into it because I didn't have the money. I only recently remembered about it a couple of days ago and got quite excited. I thought I would check out some start up costs.

I don't have much of a clue when it comes to GPS. It would be great if someone could recommend me one for under £200. Like what features I'm looking for etc. I was reading the GPS facts but it all seems to be discussing American models or ones out my price range.

Also is there any sort of other gear i should have like backpack etc.

I noticed there were a fair few caches around my area so I'd like to maybe get into checking some out.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry if I shouldn't have posted ! :unsure:

Go on YouTube and search under Geocaching. Great info there

Welcome. We use a Garmin Legend H (blue one) that we got on amazon.com for $120 american including shipping. Its not paperless, but it works just fine for us, I dont mind carrying a notepad. From what I have read in the instructions it should work in Europe too. It came with a cord that makes downloading the caches to it easy, and when you bring up the cache list it puts them closest to farthest automatically which is a cool deal for going after multiple caches in one trip. The legend H is also easy for my kids to use, they learned it faster than I did.

Edited by OhSoFLY

That's brilliant. Thanks very much for your info guys. I think I'm going to definitely have stick to a budget in regards to GPS and other things.

I just put a deposit down on a Golden Retriever puppy. My first ever dog. Hopefully I'll pick it up on March 14th if all goes well so it gives me time to keep saving for a GPS.

I would lo0k at the guys that have the m0st post here on the forum they know wha tthey are talking about and please d0nt do like i did i bought a bushnell and tryed to get it to work intill i was blue in the face they said get a Garmin and man this Garmin is s0,so easy to download the info that you need to get to find the goodies it zero's in to about 6-11 ft so i say////Garmin/Garmin/Garmin/Garmin :)

I have a Etrex vista hCX. Not one highly commented on the forum. My friend uses the basic yellow model of this. Both work excellent. Mine was $229.00. It's not paperless but does come with a cord that allows you to download Geocaches. When your out caching it will tell you the closest one and the next and next......

I have a Vista HCx (year 3 now) and it is a rock solid GPSr with a ton of functionality AND free maps on the web. gpsfiledepot.com

While it is not paperless, it can do mostly everything else you could want. I also just got the Delorme PN-40 which is paperless and awesome, but I don't think Delorme has a lot to offer map wise overseas.

Go Vista HCx!!!

:(

That's brilliant. Thanks very much for your info guys. I think I'm going to definitely have stick to a budget in regards to GPS and other things.

I just put a deposit down on a Golden Retriever puppy. My first ever dog. Hopefully I'll pick it up on March 14th if all goes well so it gives me time to keep saving for a GPS.

in the meantime, to get your fix if you dont have a GPS, find caches in neighborhoods you might be familiar with. write down any hints for that cache then use google maps' satelite photos to do a bit of caching. They'll get you to the right area, after that it's up to you to find the cache. I did that for my first 5... I also know there are some guys who do a lot of caching w/o a gps. Good luck, have fun. Stay away from micros for awhile :(