Handmade Items only cache

Fiver1

I'm thinking of placing my first hide and have an idea I would like to run by the geocaching community.

My proposal for the cache is that all trade items (with the exception of TB's and Coins) must be hand made by the person wishing to trade. I wouldn't allow any of the items to be placed that people have complained about being junk. This is an attempt to have cachers share products from their other hobbies as well as to provide finders with something more than the items that seemed to have proliferated as of late.

Please give me your opinions as to whether this idea will fly or not. Thank you for your input.

I'm thinking of placing my first hide and have an idea I would like to run by the geocaching community.

My proposal for the cache is that all trade items (with the exception of TB's and Coins) must be hand made by the person wishing to trade. I wouldn't allow any of the items to be placed that people have complained about being junk. This is an attempt to have cachers share products from their other hobbies as well as to provide finders with something more than the items that seemed to have proliferated as of late.

Please give me your opinions as to whether this idea will fly or not. Thank you for your input.

As long as anyone can log it as found, there doesn't sound like there's a guideline violation (usual disclaimer : check with your local reviewer). But I suspect many would ignore the trading restrictions anyway (some out of ignorance, some out of spite).

I think making it a suggestion would be about as effective without generating any bad feelings.

I was told by my Reviewer that nothing that is "in the cache container is mine" so I just complied. I have a Pathtag Exchange cache and had listed in the notes to take one replace with one....take two and replace with two...etc. Was shot down. Had to reword it.

I made it a members only cache to help with the function of the cache but have already had one cacher take three and "promise to replace when he came back or saw me in person". All I can do is hope.

I'm afraid with this stipulation you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Do you have a lot of cachers in your area with handmade items? There aren't many in mine. Most use pathtags.

I was told by my Reviewer that nothing that is "in the cache container is mine" so I just complied. I have a Pathtag Exchange cache and had listed in the notes to take one replace with one....take two and replace with two...etc. Was shot down. Had to reword it.

I made it a members only cache to help with the function of the cache but have already had one cacher take three and "promise to replace when he came back or saw me in person". All I can do is hope.

I'm afraid with this stipulation you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Do you have a lot of cachers in your area with handmade items? There aren't many in mine. Most use pathtags.

What are pathtags?

Sounds like a really neat idea! Unfortunately, like others have mentioned, you can only "suggest" the trade. Not demand it.

Im sure if you stated something in the cache description such as "A great cache to trade your home-made items in" or something similar, I'm sure most cachers would go along with it. I know I would.

Possibly a name such as "Home-made mayhem" or something that indicates hand crafted stuff may help as well.

Good luck with your cache!

Edited by Shaner316
Other than that, it's worth a shot. Most theme swag caches I've found deviated from the theme a long time ago.

There is one themed cache in my area which seems to have stayed on theme for at least 2 years, I suppose it depends on the area you live in and the cachers who visit it.

Edited by Mini-Geek

As others have said, you can only request, not demand, that handmade items are swapped in your cache. I have a cache in which I ask that only red swag be traded. I go to that cache about twice a year to take out the non-red items and replace them with red ones. Most people who make trades will play along, but some don't. I find that maintaining the cache to make sure that it follows my intention encourages others to keep with the theme.

It sounds like a fun idea to me; however, I caution you to remember that not every cacher is crafty. Be kind, encouraging and inclusive when writing your cache listing and thinking about those who will visit your cache.

* You can make it a request, but not a demand.

* You can't deny them the "found it" log if they don't play by your rules.

* Some people don't ever read the cache page.

* Not everybody will obey the trade rules.

Other than that, it's worth a shot. Most theme swag caches I've found deviated from the theme a long time ago.

I didn't say anything about denying anyone a "found it" log. As far as I'm concerned, if a person finds the cache they have every right to log it as found whether they trade an item or not.

I realize the cache would require the same amount of maintenance as any other and simply suggest that if an item left doesn't meet the cache guidelines, I would remove it and place it in a more relative cache. I also agree that not everyone would "play by the rules". That is something that I, as the CO, would have to deal with.

As I said, this is exploratory at the moment and if the negatives outweigh the positives then I won't do it. Thought it would be a nice approach though.

It won't fly.

You cannot have any requirement for finding the cache other than signing the log. That is known as an Addtional Logging Requirement (ALR). Nice idea though - you just can't require it.

I don't understand your statement that this is an ALR. There would be no additional logging requirement. It would simply be a request that trade items be hand made. Not everybody trades. That would have no bearing on whether they could log it as found or not. If you find it, log it. No one is required to trade anything.

Your original post gives the impression that you would be a strict enforcer and might be the type that would deny a find if someone did not trade a handmade item. That impression colors the responses that you have received so far, though I find them all to be respectful and helpful. Take a lighter approach and people will be more receptive to your theme.

*spelling edit

Edited by Printess Caroline

I personally think its a great concept, with the "standard caveats" mentioned above. I can't see it being termed an ALR. Your suggestion pertains to trading, not finding, signing, or logging online.

You can debate the topic till you're blue in the face, but only your Reviewer will be able to give you the ok.

Handmade items seem to be highly desirable, though I would be surprised if the "trading history" stayed true to that.

In response to the "wouldn't allow" portion I would leave that out, and ask "handmade trade items only, if you please!!". As the CO you could periodically clean out your cache of any non-handcrafted items. (junk)

I vote "go for it"!! :huh:

edit to add- There is a cache near us, called Pretty In Pink, and the young girl who placed it with the supervision of her father requested only pink items as trade. I complimented them when we found it as it was the nicest, cleanest , well maintained cache we had found so far. (not many found but still the best) Even had a pink ink pen!!! Only thing that wasn't pink in it was a red Jeep travel bug and I thought it was close enough!! ;)

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been making some items to stock a similar cache. There are some good suggestions in this thread that I'll use when I place mine.

Twig carvings and paracord lanyards are what I have made so far. I'll also include some handmade items that I have traded out of other caches. I fully expect it to get emptied, but hopefully it won't happen to quickly.

Edited by Wooden Cyclist

I found a cache with a theme like this soon after I started caching (GCH15F). I thought it was a great idea, and I planned ahead by taking a packet of my homemade Christmas cards to trade. At that time, the theme was still being stuck to, but looking at the logs now, I don't think it is anymore. It is almost 7 years old, though. I like the idea!

I like the idea. Not sure how much participation you'll get though.

I agree. Participation would be limited by those who could contribute and those who would choose not to trade anything. Degradation is the next biggest issue. Theming it up doesn't help any more than asking people to leave just the random cool swag.

As with any cache, if you want to keep a high level of swag you're going to have to do it yourself, and then keep doing it.

Personally I think bookcrossing.com caches have the best return rate. Still, eventually you'll have to trade out the romance novels and replace them with books you'd like to share. I don't mind replacing swag and good books can be found cheap.

Considering the digital age and the asking price of music CDs I'll do better by leaving the original CD as swag than trying to sell them on line.

edit: your/you're

Edited by BlueDeuce

As others have said, you can only request, not demand, that handmade items are swapped in your cache. I have a cache in which I ask that only red swag be traded. I go to that cache about twice a year to take out the non-red items and replace them with red ones. Most people who make trades will play along, but some don't. I find that maintaining the cache to make sure that it follows my intention encourages others to keep with the theme.

It sounds like a fun idea to me; however, I caution you to remember that not every cacher is crafty. Be kind, encouraging and inclusive when writing your cache listing and thinking about those who will visit your cache.

That's been my dog-themed cache experience. I do a maintenance visit about 3 times a year and swap out non-dog themed swag. But I never insisted on dog items, just a suggestion. I'd say about half of the people who swap leave something dog themed -- that's pretty good.

Go for it. Make it a suggestion. Expect to do regular maintenance visits to replenish and add more of your own handmade items. Use a large container so a variety of sizes can fit in the cache and not end up crammed together (possibly ruining the items). Use a good container (lock n lock, ammo can) so water doesn't end up wrecking the contents.

Edited by Lone R

It won't fly.

You cannot have any requirement for finding the cache other than signing the log. That is known as an Addtional Logging Requirement (ALR). Nice idea though - you just can't require it.

I don't understand your statement that this is an ALR. There would be no additional logging requirement. It would simply be a request that trade items be hand made. Not everybody trades. That would have no bearing on whether they could log it as found or not. If you find it, log it. No one is required to trade anything.

Sorry - as pointed out earlier - your OP sounded like you would be trying to enforce the trading rule..........

It won't fly.

That only applies to logging the Cache online. You can set whatever rules you like for your Cache, but you can't make anyone follow them.

A Cache like this sounds like fun, but will take a lot of maintenence from the owner, removing the unapproved swag, and replacing it with things you approve

There is one themed cache in my area which seems to have stayed on theme for at least 2 years, I suppose it depends on the area you live in and the cachers who visit it.

I suspect that the theme itself and cache owner maintenance play a large role as well as number of visitors. I wouldn't pin the success on region alone.

There is a cache near my home that requests that all trades be college-related items (preferably Penn State) and is worded as such:

"The contents was [sic] put together by Derek while he was a Penn State student. Derek would like to keep this a university cache so trade items must be from any college you choose. Even though he thinks Penn state is number one, you are welcome to leave any college trade item that you wish."

Your idea sounds like the same concept, so you should be able to get it published. You may find that you need to visit it regularly to clean out the McToys and restock with crafts and a premium-member option might help with that.

You may find that you need to visit it regularly to clean out the McToys and restock with crafts and a premium-member option might help with that.

I think that this is one case where making the cache premium-members-only will probably NOT help. Premium members are the ones who can run pocket queries, so we are the ones who are most likely to find a cache without ever actually seeing the web page.

I didn't say anything about denying anyone a "found it" log. As far as I'm concerned, if a person finds the cache they have every right to log it as found whether they trade an item or not.

I realize the cache would require the same amount of maintenance as any other and simply suggest that if an item left doesn't meet the cache guidelines, I would remove it and place it in a more relative cache. I also agree that not everyone would "play by the rules". That is something that I, as the CO, would have to deal with.

As I said, this is exploratory at the moment and if the negatives outweigh the positives then I won't do it. Thought it would be a nice approach though.

Your good to go. Your clarification says that your willing to do the work to keep the them pure, and that a find is separate from the theme. Some will enjoy the theme. Most will just log and move on to the next cache.

Good luck.

If you list it this way, and then decide that the negatives outweigh, you can always edit it to be a plain old Cache. Even if you just get tired of it after a few years.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. I've already picked a place for the cache and have gotten permission from the landowner. Now all I need to do is put the cache together, fabricate my sneaky hide, come up with a catchy name, and go through the publishing routine. I will start off with some of the horseshoe nail crosses I started another thread about and probably some small wood carvings. I am also ordering some TB's from Groundspeak and will get one started in this cache. The cache placement will have to wait until I get them.

Also, If I can figure out a way to post pics on this forum, I'll post a couple of the original contents of the cache.

I'll post the name and GC number here and if anyone is in the Lakeland, Fla. area, stop by and have a look. There will be something special for the FTF. :)

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. I've already picked a place for the cache and have gotten permission from the landowner. Now all I need to do is put the cache together, fabricate my sneaky hide, come up with a catchy name, and go through the publishing routine. I will start off with some of the horseshoe nail crosses I started another thread about and probably some small wood carvings. I am also ordering some TB's from Groundspeak and will get one started in this cache. The cache placement will have to wait until I get them.

There's nothing stopping you from placing the cache then going back to add a TB. That way you'll be able to check out the creativity of others following the theme.

We placed a cache with exactly this theme. We presented it as a "request" more than a requirement, and we got all of our relatives to contribute things. Our cache started with some cool stuff in it (pottery, recipes, music CD, jewelry, oragami).

Very few people left handmade items. Most cachers take nothing and leave nothing, and others who plan on swapping do not often read the description well enough ahead of time.

In the end, and the cool stuff did get taken, and the cache mostly had junk in it. Finders often comment "There's not much handmade stuff in here, but what a great idea".

Having said that, we did get some nice handmade items coming and going. They were the exception though.

I wouldn't discourage you from doing this if it's what you want, but here's my advice.

1. Make it really obvious on the listing that it's for hand-made stuff.

2. Encourage people to make stuff on the spot (include a sketch book). Tell them to write a poem if nothing else.

3. In the description suggest ideas, and reward creative swag by listing them (We had one guy bring photos of a house he was constructing).

4. Go back often and restock it with hand-made stuff to keep the theme.

5. Include a few matchbox cars or something for those finders who have a small toy to trade.

6. Be prepared for the fact that someone is going to take your beautiful little handmade pottery item and leave a McDonald's toy. Don't get upset about it. It's just part of the cost of this type of cache. I say this because I got a little bent out of shape when it happened, and then I realized, "Hey this is all supposed to be for fun right?". Once I got over myself, I was happy that folks were finding it and participating.

Oh, by the way, the cache is "Look What I Made" GCH15F

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9a-4851978a8775

I plan on taking my own advice this Spring :rolleyes:

TheGeocachers (Cache planted as TheWeeks)

Fiver1,

I didn't bother to read replies to you because I didn't want others to taint my reply.

As you probably know, you cant make any demands that prevent a person from logging a found it.

I don't see any problem with making a demand that they keep with your theme so long as it is made clear that a find is a find.

If I where to attempt a theme cache I would bold in my cache description.

~~~

Should you decide not to follow the theme with a trade, do not get angry when I:

A. remove all non themed items.

B. create a list of all removed items.

C. post said list in my maintenance log explaining how I disposed of them.

Tho I don't condone the removal of swag without a trade I have more respect for a person who does verses somebody who junks up the theme.

~~~

Ok, I wouldn't post it in the description, I would do A, B and C just not post it in my description.

But I've been told I'm a jerk, and I know that if bigger jerks see that in the description they will fill it with broken McToys.

Unless Broken McToys is the theme. :rolleyes:

Fiver1,

I didn't bother to read replies to you because I didn't want others to taint my reply.

As you probably know, you cant make any demands that prevent a person from logging a found it.

I don't see any problem with making a demand that they keep with your theme so long as it is made clear that a find is a find.

~~~

Should you decide not to follow the theme with a trade, do not get angry when I:

Tho I don't condone the removal of swag without a trade I have more respect for a person who does verses somebody who junks up the theme.

~~~

Ok, I wouldn't post it in the description, I would do A, B and C just not post it in my description.

But I've been told I'm a jerk, and I know that if bigger jerks see that in the description they will fill it with broken McToys.

You would be OK in removing non-theme swag if you trade up or trade even for it.

Let's say you have a Pez themed cache and someone leaves in a Barbie doll. Just get another pez dispenser combo pack and trade it for the Barbie.

The reality is that many who cache don't have the description for the cache with them when they are caching. Many will just have the coords, title and possibly the hint. The advent of pocket queries has made cache loading much easier but, unfortunately, has taken a lot away from the uniqueness of cache pages (for many).

I admit to reading very few cache pages when I go geocaching. I've been doing it that way since the first time I went caching. It's just human nature that this change is going to happen.

Fiver1,

~~~

~~~

You would be OK in removing non-theme swag if you trade up or trade even for it.

Let's say you have a Pez themed cache and someone leaves in a Barbie doll. Just get another pez dispenser combo pack and trade it for the Barbie.

The reality is that many who cache don't have the description for the cache with them when they are caching. Many will just have the coords, title and possibly the hint. The advent of pocket queries has made cache loading much easier but, unfortunately, has taken a lot away from the uniqueness of cache pages (for many).

I admit to reading very few cache pages when I go geocaching. I've been doing it that way since the first time I went caching. It's just human nature that this change is going to happen.

And that is where subjectivity comes into play.

One persons treasure is another persons trash.