URWIGO builder

yourself

My first cartridge, built with Wherigo Builder, blew up (another forum topic) a few hours ago . I can't even open it. :blink: So I down loaded URWIGO, and started re-doing the cartridge. This is sooo much easier than the builder. :ph34r:

The first thing I tried, was to bring the old cartridge into URWIGO, but that failed. Import error, I think. I would like to retrieve some text, however (the story and the logic). Is it possible to open the old cartridge so I can see the script (and maybe crib some of the text?) :huh:

I got it to work this way ..

but I would like to ask more questions in the same field ..

how this is done most easily

You could use your counter variable.

Eg: If Counter=1 then Ask Question 1 and compare answer 1.

If Counter = 2....

So it's just a bunch of 'If/Else' statements.

FC

could i not get you to upload a picture of how .

I can not get it to work :-(

Hey I was wondering if any one knows about the completion codes. If I upload a new GWZ file does it change each time? I changed some things and up loaded a new file and now people are saying there code wont work

Ok so sometimes the player generates more then 15 digits so any extras need to be ignored otherwise the code will not work

Ok, new here.

I downloaded URWIGO Builder. I set up all my zones. I realize this is just the very beginning.

I am now creating media (images) and will probably make them 230 x 180 pixels. Does anyone have any input on that?

Is there any kind of a tutorial? If not, should I look at the Wherigo tutorial and follow the order but figure out how to do it with URWIGO?

I have questions as I go along and have not even got into the programing yet.

What's the difference between Media Images and Icons? If I create a 230 x 180 image, do I still need to create icons?

OK, I set up my zones and now I wish to have text automatically displayed when a person enters the zone. How do I do this? I've dragged and clicked and copied and pasted and nothing looks right. When I click on the green message in the command dialog, there is no text displayed on the right under the properties.

I also don't know what half this stuff means. What is "Skip cancel"?

Where's the simplified tutorial?

Edited by pictom
When I click on the green message in the command dialog, there is no text displayed on the right under the properties.
you have to click on the empty quotes in the green box. then the properties will show an empty text box and you will fill your message in that.
I also don't know what half this stuff means. What is "Skip cancel"?
means "when the messagebox is unexpectedly cancelled, do not perform the callback action". you don't need to concern yourself with this now.

]you have to click on the empty quotes in the green box. then the properties will show an empty text box and you will fill your message in that.

Cool, I thought I clicked everywhere but maybe I did not.

Ok, I found the box and clicked. Works great.

Now I have a box asking for an action when the message is clicked. (On Clicked). I don't wish for any action to occur until the person walks to the next zone. Can I leave this blank?

Is it advisable to go to the Wherigo Tutorial and try to emulate the actions on Urwigo?

Is there a limited amount of text I should use? Let's say I have the following message. Should I create one message or break it into two different messages?

"The two glassed-in areas contain the art. On one side is the metal water wheel with Mason jars mounted on it. At half-hour intervals, rainwater stored in the roof of the little building flows through a system of tubes and into the jars, causing the wheel to turn which activates the art in the other glass enclosure: an electromagnet in the copper disk which pick up metal filings to form the hour of the day.

Fill in the blank of the name of this art: The _________ of Fluid Moment(nm)."

Ut Oh, I just realized there is a "message" and a "dialog" command. What's the difference in the two?

(I keep editing this post as I work and have new questions, once I get a reply, I'll start a new thread)

--

New issue. I just went to each zone I have and went to COMMANDS and NEW ITEM and added what I think is a message for entering the zone. Now I have just discovered if I scroll down the screen some more, an "ON ENTER" Event. IS this where I was supposed to be entering the text I want displayed upon entering a zone?

Still looking for some sort of tutorial for the beginner. This thread looks like its for the more advanced user. :D

I am done for the day. Don't want to keep doing work I have to undo and then redo.

Edited by pictom

OK, I've got most of this figured out, but I can't seem to get a command that is attached to an object to do anything when clicked. In the old builder, events showed up in the item that it was attached to, like if you had a command "Talk" attached to character "Gorilla", you would see event "When Talk Occurs". In URWIGO, I don't see anything like that. I have put code in the Enabled event of the command, but it does not seem to fire. What am I missing here?

OK, I've got most of this figured out, but I can't seem to get a command that is attached to an object to do anything when clicked. In the old builder, events showed up in the item that it was attached to, like if you had a command "Talk" attached to character "Gorilla", you would see event "When Talk Occurs". In URWIGO, I don't see anything like that. I have put code in the Enabled event of the command, but it does not seem to fire. What am I missing here?

I figured it out. You have to set the target to "None". It appears as if setting it to a specific item will not allow the event to fire. Or something like that... Anyone else have any input on this?

Has anyone come up with a tutorial in the simplest form to teach people like myself who dont know much about how to create a cartridge. Or do I need to get a PHD in programing to figure this out??? :anicute:

The more I try, the more my head hurts!

Try this...... some cartridges are open and you can download the .LUA file search for some of them download them and upload them into urwigo and look at how they are made. the hardest part about this whole thing is having to learn all the commands and functions. when you change something run it and see what happens. Start simple 1 or 2 zones and build from there. you can make it hard or simple the more zones the more complicated it gets. but it gets a whole lot easier as you go the Wherigo web site is down or I would show you a couple look for some by j2b2 they have a bunch that you can look at. The good thing about urwigo it will tell you if you make a mistake.

Has anyone come up with a tutorial in the simplest form to teach people like myself who dont know much about how to create a cartridge. Or do I need to get a PHD in programing to figure this out??? :blink:

Try this...... some cartridges are open and you can download the .LUA file search for some of them download them and upload them into urwigo and look at how they are made. the hardest part about this whole thing is having to learn all the commands and functions. when you change something run it and see what happens. Start simple 1 or 2 zones and build from there. you can make it hard or simple the more zones the more complicated it gets. but it gets a whole lot easier as you go the Wherigo web site is down or I would show you a couple look for some by j2b2 they have a bunch that you can look at. The good thing about urwigo it will tell you if you make a mistake.

So I guess the answer to the question about a tutorial is, NO! :D:blink::D

That does make it difficult for us "Wherigo want-a-be's". Is anybody working on a tutorial for the urwigo builder?

Actually some tutorials have been prepared in czech on our site http://www.Wherigo.cz. We also had one learning event about Urwigo. If I found some time, I will translate basic tutorials to english.

EDIT: or you can try to view this tutorials in czech. Maybe it is understandable:

1st tutorial - basic principles

2nd tutorial - how to make cartridge with running on time

Edited by me2d09

Actually some tutorials have been prepared in czech on our site http://www.Wherigo.cz. We also had one learning event about Urwigo. If I found some time, I will translate basic tutorials to english.

EDIT: or you can try to view this tutorials in czech. Maybe it is understandable:

1st tutorial - basic principles

2nd tutorial - how to make cartridge with running on time

They may just work as long as I can look at the pictures and pause it often. But English sure would make it easier. Thanks so much. :blink:

Edited by PWCinPC

Ok, so I have a 20+ zone cart, it runs well.

But I want to ensure that the people using it haven't been on a 2 hour walk only for it to die on them, and not be retrievable.

To counter this, I have tried adding a save command in the 'on exit' event of each zone.

This crashes the emulator even on the first zone due to a buffer over run.

But when I try the same action on my 6 zone test cart it works fine on the emulator and in reality.

Has anyone else experienced problems with the save command?

I building the cart specifically for the PPC audience.

Thanks

Mick

Edited by Rebel Alliance

If I use a large image (230x460 pix) Urwigo automaticly fits the image in the screen. I don't want that. I want to see the immage in full width and scroll it down to see it all. Is this possible in Urwigo?

In de official builder of Groundspeak it was possible to choose for it: automaticly fit or not > 'no risize'.

Edited by Geinponem

screens.zip

Doesn't do that on mine?

If I put a large image on, I get to see the large image.

I reseized the images in the end as it was causing resource issues.

See the attachements for the results of two different images on a Oregon 450.

One image is 230 pixels width and 310 pixels high. The other has the same width and is 460 pixels high.

As you can see if I use both images in a dialog screen: they haven't the same width.

Using the images as an Inventory item: the first image is a little wider. The larger image is a lot smaller. It fits in the screen and you can't scroll it anymore!

Edited by Geinponem

Has anyone come up with a tutorial in the simplest form to teach people like myself who dont know much about how to create a cartridge. Or do I need to get a PHD in programing to figure this out??? :)

Gave up with Wherigo after 5 days and plenty of crashes. This is so much better, many thanks for the hard work, but a tutorial in English would be a great help at this moment. :(

Having no knowledge of coding etc. can anyone explain this error message I get when using the emulator.

Microsoft .NET framework "Cannot access a disposed object. Object name 'frmMain'

presumably something I have done?

thanks

MeerRescue

Has anyone come up with a tutorial in the simplest form to teach people like myself who dont know much about how to create a cartridge. Or do I need to get a PHD in programing to figure this out??? B)

Gave up with Wherigo after 5 days and plenty of crashes. This is so much better, many thanks for the hard work, but a tutorial in English would be a great help at this moment. :laughing:

Having no knowledge of coding etc. can anyone explain this error message I get when using the emulator.

Microsoft .NET framework "Cannot access a disposed object. Object name 'frmMain'

presumably something I have done?

thanks

MeerRescue

Can any one help??? map goes into free fall when I use emulator. Had been fine, have back tracked, no obvious errors showing. :laughing:

I think there are some emulator problems when using URWIGO produced cartridges. I've have the map start moving controlably as well. Also I can't complete my cartridge without a crash. However when I loaded it on my Oregon and took it out to test it in the real world, it worked fine.

I think there are some emulator problems when using URWIGO produced cartridges. I've have the map start moving controlably as well. Also I can't complete my cartridge without a crash. However when I loaded it on my Oregon and took it out to test it in the real world, it worked fine.

Thanks Tozainamboku for replying. Not sure what is/was causing it at all. However, it seems for the moment to be behaving itself and I can run ok in the emulator.

I guess it's the added frustration of knowing little or nothing about coding to even begin to understand a problem. I am sure that URWIGO is a far better piece of kit to build with than the current build of Wherigo, and again I grovel for an English tutorial please :)

MeerRescue

Thanks Tozainamboku for replying. Not sure what is/was causing it at all. However, it seems for the moment to be behaving itself and I can run ok in the emulator.

I guess it's the added frustration of knowing little or nothing about coding to even begin to understand a problem. I am sure that URWIGO is a far better piece of kit to build with than the current build of Wherigo, and again I grovel for an English tutorial please :unsure:

MeerRescue

I have had the emulator go crazy like that too. Who knows why? I just restart it and it usually works fine. So when it does it just restart it. The urwigo still working great I have 9 Wherigo cache's now they all seem to be working good.

You don't need to know code to do this but you do need to learn the commands and functions and how they work.

Here is something I have done and that is look at what others have done. Go to the Wherigo site and do an advanced search then select by author then enter j2b2 they have a lot of cart's you can download the .lua you will be looking for the ones that say license on the left click download source and import it into urwigo then you can see what others have done run it in the emulator too that should help you learn some of the functions and how they work you can also use there pictures/graphics j2b2 has a lot of fun whereigos that's why I picked them plus they seem to work well. here is one of them http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...f6-0e65d5ac967c

It should say download source click that, it is a gwz file so you will have to use the builder program to open it then save the .lua file and then import it into urwigo you will have to unzip it first also

Which is usually how I start building my Wherigo's I load the coords into the builder and pics also, then import them into urwigo it just seems to be easier to enter coords rather then transposing the coords or using the map in urwigo but then I do tweek them sometimes in the urwigo map. The map is nice though it has helped me fix zones that maybe wrong or not in the right place

Keep on whereigoin! :)

Edited by A Team Vallejo

I guess it's the added frustration of knowing little or nothing about coding to even begin to understand a problem. I am sure that URWIGO is a far better piece of kit to build with than the current build of Wherigo, and again I grovel for an English tutorial please :unsure:

MeerRescue

I have had the emulator go crazy like that too. Who knows why? I just restart it and it usually works fine. So when it does it just restart it. The urwigo still working great I have 9 Wherigo cache's now they all seem to be working good.

You don't need to know code to do this but you do need to learn the commands and functions and how they work.

Here is something I have done and that is look at what others have done. Go to the Wherigo site and do an advanced search then select by author then enter j2b2 they have a lot of cart's you can download the .lua you will be looking for the ones that say license on the left click download source and import it into urwigo then you can see what others have done run it in the emulator too that should help you learn some of the functions and how they work you can also use there pictures/graphics j2b2 has a lot of fun whereigos that's why I picked them plus they seem to work well. here is one of them http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...f6-0e65d5ac967c

It should say download source click that, it is a gwz file so you will have to use the builder program to open it then save the .lua file and then import it into urwigo you will have to unzip it first also

Which is usually how I start building my Wherigo's I load the coords into the builder and pics also, then import them into urwigo it just seems to be easier to enter coords rather then transposing the coords or using the map in urwigo but then I do tweek them sometimes in the urwigo map. The map is nice though it has helped me fix zones that maybe wrong or not in the right place

Keep on whereigoin! :)

Much appreciated Team V, and I'll take up the idea's above.

Hello, i build a cartrige with Urwigo. Everytihing was working fine . I uploaded the gwz file to Wherigo, no problem! But when i click on download button this message comes :

Error During Upload

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.ApplicationException: Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown. at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.LuaDoFile(String filename) at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesLinker.ZonesLinker.CreateZonesFile(String luaFilename, String binaryFilename, String cartridgeId, String playerName, Int64 playerId, String completionCode, DeviceType targetDevice, EngineVersion engineVersion, Boolean bObfuscate) at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesLinker.ZonesLinker.CreateZonesFile(String luaFilename, String binaryFilename, String cartridgeId, String playerName, Int64 playerId, String completionCode, DeviceType targetDevice, EngineVersion engineVersion) at Wherigo.CartridgeService.ExtractCompileCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String gwzFilename, String cartridgeId, Int64 playerId, String playerName, DeviceType deviceType, String completionCode, String binaryFilename) at Wherigo.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Wherigo.GSPCartridgeService.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) in C:\projects\TFS\Tucson\trunk\Main\Src\Web\Tucson.WebApp.Wherigo\Web References\GSPCartridgeService\Reference.cs:line 284 at cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\projects\TFS\Tucson\trunk\Main\Src\Web\Tucson.WebApp.Wherigo\cartridge\download.aspx.cs:line 134

Is anyone out there who is able to explain me the problem?

I´m totally new in this and have no idea what to do. :rolleyes:

Greetz Ben

Thank you all, for a very rewarding morning's reading of your great posts. :D

I have been exploring the Wherigo concept for the first time, and my initial reseach had left me with the wrong impression that Wherigo died in 2008; except for the OpenWIG work by the cell phone guys.

I have to thank 'matejcik' for a Feb 28/10 Groundspeak post that helped direct me here. After having explored the original BUILDER and its tutorials; yourself's URWIGO resource is very refreshingly impressive - THANK YOU; . And I am encouraged by all the posters here who have rallied to the cause to keep Wherigo alive. I had wondered where you were all hanging out. :blink:

I'm putting down my limited commitment Netbook PCC-emulator tethered 76CSx; and digging-in to get more seriously involved. You have created one more convert. After a bit more field experience, as a 'finder' with my new Oregon 450; I plan to join the coding fun to build-on the very limited presence of Wherigo in my area!!! KW has got to be able to do better than 1.

Thx again for nurturing a great resource for outdoor virtual mindscapes.

I had wondered where you were all hanging out. :ph34r:
Welcome to the party! It's our little corner of the cafe that is part, at the moment, of the greater geocaching universe. Now, if we can only get it like "Cheers", sans the drama.

I plan to join the coding fun to build-on the very limited presence of Wherigo in my area!!!
I'm sure those who have built a cartridge in your area will relish being able to play a cartridge they haven't made. Believe me, it's a very important part of the creative process.

Thx again for nurturing a great resource for outdoor virtual mindscapes.
It's close enough to augmented reality, that's for sure. Feel free to whip up a tornado of a question and see how we deal with it. I think I'll leave it there before I get too silly with that allusion.

I made a simple Wherigo with Urwigo.

If I generate a gwz-file with Urwigo I get a lua-file with the name '_cartridge.lua' in the zipped map.

Unfortunately I can't open this file in de official Groundspeak Wherigo builder.

Even as I change the extension in .urwigo > I can't open it in the Urwigo builder.

Is there a way to generate an gwz-file with a good working .lua-file?

the lua file is good-working, you're just using it wrong.

note three things:

1. Lua is program code, not a save format.

Groundspeak Builder writes Lua code in a very specific way so that it can read it later. But that is not the "only proper way" to write Lua - Urwigo uses extended functions and doesn't keep Builder's way. (After all, sometimes even Builder breaks its own way of writing.) Nevertheless, the Lua file can be compiled by Wherigo.com just fine. It is a proper Lua file, just "not good enough" for Builder.

2. Because of that, URWIGO uses its own *save format* called .urwigo. If you save your cartridge as .urwigo, you can open it in URWIGO later without problems.

3. Because URWIGO allows you to do more than Builder, you cannot export cartridges from URWIGO back to Builder, because Builder wouldn't understand them anyway.

the moral of the story is: if you don't need to change the .lua file, do not touch it. And if you don't need the GS Builder, don't touch it either :blink:

the lua file is good-working, you're just using it wrong.

note three things:

1. Lua is program code, not a save format.

Groundspeak Builder writes Lua code in a very specific way so that it can read it later. But that is not the "only proper way" to write Lua - Urwigo uses extended functions and doesn't keep Builder's way. (After all, sometimes even Builder breaks its own way of writing.) Nevertheless, the Lua file can be compiled by Wherigo.com just fine. It is a proper Lua file, just "not good enough" for Builder.

2. Because of that, URWIGO uses its own *save format* called .urwigo. If you save your cartridge as .urwigo, you can open it in URWIGO later without problems.

3. Because URWIGO allows you to do more than Builder, you cannot export cartridges from URWIGO back to Builder, because Builder wouldn't understand them anyway.

the moral of the story is: if you don't need to change the .lua file, do not touch it. And if you don't need the GS Builder, don't touch it either :blink:

Thanks!

So if you download the source file of a (with Urwigo build) cartridge from www.Wherigo.com you have to be a lua-programmer to do something with it. Because you can't open the cartridge in de Urwigo builder (?)

I imported one of my cartridges into Urwigo and used it to create a GWZ. I made the GWZ into a zip file, added the .urwigo file, renamed it GWZ, and uploaded it as a new version on the site. I then enabled Creative Commons and downloaded the source. The .urwigo file was still there and I was able to double-click it to launch Urwigo and the cartridge.

Looks like you can pack the .urwigo file with the GWZ.

I have created a file that works .. but I do not know how I can get the unlock code until the user .. there are some who knows how .. ?

You have to drag CompletitionCode from Objects and properties/Player. See the attachments.

post-2816453-1267644617.jpgpost-2816453-1267644628.jpg

I have made a script just alike the one suggested, but when I play the Cartridge, it returns the word "Builder" just before the unlock code.

Can anyone give me a hint on how to get rid of this word?

post-1478948-1277999510.jpg

post-1478948-1277999527.jpg