URWIGO builder

yourself

Not sure how you do this with Urwigo, but basically you need to add it to your Wherigo source file with a zmedia statement.  An example from one of my own wherigos would be:

zmediaSignal = Wherigo.ZMedia(cartCarlitoLoop)
  zmediaSignal.Name="Signal"
  zmediaSignal.Description="Signal The Frog"
  zmediaSignal.AltText=""
  zmediaSignal.Id="7cbd7233-96a4-4dd6-be34-7051581cdd01"
  zmediaSignal.Resources = {
  { Type = "jpg", Filename = "signal resize.jpg", Directives = {},},
   }

Once you have this, you can then reference the picture in the code where you need it with a .media statement.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:20 PM, makgonz said:

I semi searched through this thread.  How do I add pics to the Wherigo?

You have to go to view--> media --> new Item and then you can select an image to add.
It is now available in the program and you can add is to certain zones, characters, messages,...

Don't hesitate do ask if you have further questions

Does anyone still write Wherigos using Urwigo?

I cannot say how disappointed I am with it. I from 2008 to 2015 I used the Groundspeak builder but it no longer works on the new computer I have so I thought I'd try to use Urwigo instead.

I give up!

It looks nice but I find it virtually unusable for anything but the most simple of cartridges.

Just started out with my first cartridge using Urwigo.

I have a number of characters and I want to separate gameplay depending on the characters selected.

Would an If/Else statement manage this?

I have 4 main characters so for instance if A or B are in the inventory, set zone West active. If C or D are in the inventory, set zone East active.

Grateful for any pointers 

On 5/30/2019 at 9:27 PM, Delta68 said:

I cannot say how disappointed I am with it. I from 2008 to 2015 I used the Groundspeak builder but it no longer works on the new computer I have so I thought I'd try to use Urwigo instead.

I give up!

It looks nice but I find it virtually unusable for anything but the most simple of cartridges.

I am using Urwigo. And it is perfect

OK, so solved the above issue but have now found another.

In the cartridge the player is asked to select 1 character from 4 which is then added to player.

In a later zone one of the selected characters dies.

How do I deal with the selected character.

I have tried 'If' player contains (character name), followed by death scene.

I can repeat this 4 times to cover the 4 options for the selected character but cannot find a way to use the 'Else' condition.

Is there another /better way to write this?

On 5/30/2019 at 9:27 PM, Delta68 said:

I give up!

It might help if you supply what exactly you find limiting. Urwigo is the one and only tool I've ever used for creating Wherigos, and I don't feel limited at all by it. Of course the whole Wherigo platform is one big developer's nightmare anyway, but I don't blame the tool for that.

Does anyone have a sample TIMED cartridge I could reverse engineer?

I'm trying to build a cart where you have to race around a circle track and pass through zones all the way to the finish line.

So for example I rode my bike around the track in 2 minutes and I want to have others have to complete the track in the same time or less ... But to make sure they actually go around the track I have set up zones in various spots along the track. So they would have to pass through all 4 zones before making it back to the finish line/start line.

I'd also like to keep track of a leaders board if possible and actually show a countdown clock.

Is any of this doable?

I have "Run to the Outback".  It's open source.  You have to make it on the trail to the next checkpoint within a certain amount of time.  If you don't, you have to walk back to the last checkpoint and try again.  I calculated the times by running on the trail, keeping a tracklog on my GPSr.  I then added something like 50%.  In later years, I updated the cartridge, adding an additional 25% or 50% on top of that to make it even easier for people, though no one complained or noticed.

• Love 1
On 7/14/2019 at 6:39 PM, Ranger Fox said:

I have "Run to the Outback".  It's open source.  You have to make it on the trail to the next checkpoint within a certain amount of time.  If you don't, you have to walk back to the last checkpoint and try again.  I calculated the times by running on the trail, keeping a tracklog on my GPSr.  I then added something like 50%.  In later years, I updated the cartridge, adding an additional 25% or 50% on top of that to make it even easier for people, though no one complained or noticed.

How do I get a copy?

So I downloaded the source.

Changed the file extension to zip

Imported the lua into Urwigo

But I think many of the functions are missing. I don't see how the timer is associated with any of the zones.

Is there a more preferred method of deconstructing this cart?

HI, i just started Urwigo to write a cardridge. I like the look and feel!

I am missing a well documented manuel though...

I am trying to populate the [Input choices] based on random desicions and players actions in an earlier stage. The choices i want to offer the player  i will derive from variables etc (not important for my question).

So how can i present the player her/his/its/.. choices without me typing them in the [Input choices] window at Inputs ?

Many thanks!!! I'm having a great time building!!

Speurneuz

I found the solution:

in an 'On Clicked' i entered a 'Lua User code':

inputtest.Choices = {"Test1", "Test8", "Test9"}

where [inputtest] is a manually entered Identifier of the created Input:

image.png.72602859a58e0d1670297c23db57c8a5.png

result in my 'On clicked' action:

image.png.9a2e41a564afe9b933c5597fc2c8fc49.png                 ====>>>>                      image.png.5eaa121e189ea8ebe7789537cd0a228c.png

Does anyone use Urwigo anymore, I am trying use it but can't upload anything to the server anymore.

The website doesn't have a version for windows 8.1 as far as I can see.

I think I was able to us windows XP on a 32 bit O/S, but don't believe I  was able to create one since I have been using a 64 bit O/S like windows 8.1 pro

There is a large tutorial for urwigo, but it is unfortunately in German. If you goto the urwigo website they also have a "Tutorial for beginners." You'll have to use google translate to read it. If you open the page in google chrome this will be done automatically. I have used both urwigo and earwigo and I really prefer urwigo. I find the graphical layout in urwigo a little easier to use.  A couple things that I found helpful when I was first learning to code was the Landon Smith youtube tutorials. Another thing you might try out is importing a Wherigo kit cartridge or other open source cartridges into urwigo and try and follow through all of the events in the cartridge. The J2B2 cartridges make for a great learning experience and I believe they are almost all open source. Wherigo can be a bit of a puzzle at first, but it can also be extremely addictive and rewarding as well.

• Helpful 1

Is there somewhere an explanation on how can be used the "current objects" section of Urwigo. It doesn't work as I expected.

For example: I have 10 zones and I want to deactivate each of them when the player is inside.

The best way for me is to execute the same function in each of 'on enter' and in the function make a currentZone.active = false but it doesn't work.

The other solution is to set a variable containing the zone name before calling the function but it means create a huge if/else as I cannot create a variable that points to a zone.

The example is with zones but it's the same with currentItem.

If you used the builder's UI for that, you'd need to set up OnEnter or OnProximitiy events for each of the zones, then set that particular zone's Active state to false.  Instead of using "currentZone", just use a reference to the zone itself.  For example, if you have a zone called zoneFluffyKittenTeaParty, instead of setting currentZone.Active = false, you'd set zoneFluffyKittenTeaParty.Active = false in your event.  (Hopefully, the zone name got a chuckle.  It's a reference to Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos character.)

Even taking the direct code way, there's no easier way to do this.  Sure, you can have one function that iterates through all zones in the cartridge and creates an event for each zone that will perform this action, but then you have the problem of this being set for all zones (or those matching a certain name or other property filter).

There should be a timer object.  Once you create that timer object, you can start it within the zone's Enter event.  You can then put what happens when the timer expires within the timer's tick event.  That's the summary.  (I'm not on my private machine at the moment, so can't follow it up with screen shots.)

7 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

There should be a timer object.  Once you create that timer object, you can start it within the zone's Enter event.  You can then put what happens when the timer expires within the timer's tick event.  That's the summary.  (I'm not on my private machine at the moment, so can't follow it up with screen shots.)

A screenshot would be awesome

I have been some time building a cartridge in Urwigo, but I have some crashes and bugs. Everything was okey, but, at this point, in some inputs or options like (not equal to) the app crashes and I can't do anything. I'm running it on Windows 10, is there anything I can do to continue my project and have less bugs?

28 minutes ago, terratin said:

So I thought I do it properly and followed a tutorial step by step. I can't run it! It doesn't matter if I try to run what I created or a cartridge from someone else. Every time I get the same error message upon hitting F5. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

image.png.c77c10a4a98aaa9301d6c02d2226cf56.png

That's the same issue I had last week...

By the moment I haven't fixed it, but I  don't know why this happens...

Edited by javilo99
4 minutes ago, javilo99 said:

That's the same issue I had last week...

By the moment I haven't fixed it, but I  don't know why this happens...

Hmm.. is there a new version of the software that might be causing this? When did you update yours?
I just looked through the code in the file I created in notepad++. The lines mentioned in the error message refer to opening tags, closing tags, and other random things. That the error message refers to Utf8 made me wonder first if I used letters that I could not. But that's not the issue. Maybe the whole software is not compatible with my computer one way or another.

2 minutes ago, terratin said:

Hmm.. is there a new version of the software that might be causing this? When did you update yours?
I just looked through the code in the file I created in notepad++. The lines mentioned in the error message refer to opening tags, closing tags, and other random things. That the error message refers to Utf8 made me wonder first if I used letters that I could not. But that's not the issue. Maybe the whole software is not compatible with my computer one way or another.

Nop, I didn't update the app...

I just creating the cartridge and that error couldn't let me create any run or .gwc file, so I had to upload it to the Wherigo website to download the cartridge and everything was fine...

22 minutes ago, Vooruit! said:

If you wouldn't mind sharing it, I'll be happy to have a look at it.

Thanks a lot. I'll have a look if it's small enough for the message centre.

I also just checked whether I have a new enough version of .net Framework installed, and it looks like 3.5 (plus newer) is installed. That's not it either.

2 minutes ago, terratin said:

Things are getting more and more curious. My small file runs on another computer. So the issue seems to be specific to my computer. Hmm..

Have the same issue, if I connect to a virtual pc of my uni, everything goes great, even though, at my computer, in some inputs (with a huge programming and a lot of options) the app crashed and I cannot even see the code...

On the other computer, I was able to work and change almost everything..

Really odd. Vooruit! can run my little testproject without problems.

So I quickly clicked another testproject together, this time with no images at all. Result is the same, and  the errors are in exactly the same line of code. (new error message attached), which again don't seem to refer to anything useful in the code itself. The same error message that pops up when I open an open source cartridge and try to safe it in order to run it.

It's something odd on my computer. Unfortunately I don't have another machine to try this on. Or rather, it doesn't sound like a good idea to install non-approved software on my work computer.

Guess it's time to find out if the maker of this programme spreaks English well enough :D

image.png.418dc140404e15e19ad05c6ca185c943.png