URWIGO builder

yourself

A further variation on this theme, and one used by RF, is to update stopwatch.name instead of stopwatch.description. This has a neat feature on an iphone (and maybe other devices) that the countdown can be seen ticking down on the main menu.

I can't remember why, but there was a very good reason I did not update the name. I think it had something to do with the Garmin players, as is usually the case. If I didn't leave any comments/complaints about it in the code, you might have to do a little experimentation to see if there's any reason with today's players not to update the name.

Spending a part of my lunch time :ph34r: to write an example.

Emulator : Working perfectly

Oregon : Doesn't update the item name, but item description(s)

You can try it with other devices, I'm sure that on iphone nothing happens (always shows "30 secs left"...on all, itemname and description). Only the message "Your time is up !" will fire after 30 seconds.

So the whole thing is useless.

stopwatch.zip

I appreciate that, jonny65. Your lunch break came faster than mine--and you even had a device on which you could test!

I thought I remembered there being a good reason I switched it to using the description. In just a few more years, I hope we won't have to worry about anyone using a Garmin player! The unfortunate thing about that, though, is, compared to the cell phone players, Garmin's seemed to look the best.

I hope we won't have to worry about anyone using a Garmin player!

Oh don't hope this, I still have an oregon and this is my only device ! B)

Forget one thing : On oregon the time update "30 secs left" "29 secs left" ... works in item menue, but not in main menu.

Forget one thing : On oregon the time update "30 secs left" "29 secs left" ... works in item menue, but not in main menu.

Oh boy! On the iphone it does the opposite. It updates the item name in the Main Menu (looks very good) but not in the Inventory Menu (looks OK but not great - it won't update until you go back into the Main Menu and then re-select the Inventory Menu). I wish I had a garmin available to me to test this stuff on.

If you want to change something in the example or have another I could test it for you (Oregon 450) and post the results.

Thanks Jonny65. You can get a copy of a stripped down version of the cartridge here: Timer Test. This version works OK on an iphone (ie: the countdown in visible in the main menu updates but it doens't update in the inventories menu). Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

Tyreless.

It works as expected. After starting the watch the time stands still in main menu. In item menu the countdown works. When going back to main menu the last time which I have read in the item menu now will be displayed in main menu, but of course it stands still again. Look the snapshots attached.

post-3481440-094376000 1365787089_thumb.jpg...post-3481440-042341200 1365787100_thumb.jpg...post-3481440-049348400 1365787111_thumb.jpg...post-3481440-009649300 1365787126_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny65

It works as expected. After starting the watch the time stands still in main menu. In item menu the countdown works. When going back to main menu the last time which I have read in the item menu now will be displayed in main menu, but of course it stands still again. Look the snapshots attached.

post-3481440-094376000 1365787089_thumb.jpg...post-3481440-042341200 1365787100_thumb.jpg...post-3481440-049348400 1365787111_thumb.jpg...post-3481440-009649300 1365787126_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jonny65. After toying with a couple of work-arounds I have come to the conclusion that the only way I can make it work consistently across all devices is to update the description rather than the name. This means there is no dynamic display of the timer for the player - they have to open the stopwatch to see the time remaining. Thatt's not so bad.

Cheers,

Geoff aka Tyreless

Yes you must give an information in a message box such as "Please goto the stopwatch in your inventory to see the countdown running..." If it works on smartphones then only pop up the message if the current device of the player is a garmin.

Set IsGarmin = false

if EnvironmentPlatform="Vendor 1 ARM9" then IsGarmin=true

Yes you must give an information in a message box such as "Please goto the stopwatch in your inventory to see the countdown running..." If it works on smartphones then only pop up the message if the current device of the player is a garmin.

Set IsGarmin = false

if EnvironmentPlatform="Vendor 1 ARM9" then IsGarmin=true

Hi Jonny65,

Thanks for the advice. I have applied it to my cartridge - can you test it for me please?

Bubbler Dash Test v2.urwigo

It works how I want it on the iphone. How does it look on the Garmin?

Thanks again,

Geoff aka Tyreless

In that case it doesn't matter whether the cartridge is compiled for ppc or garmin. The only thing which differs is that the sounds don't work if the "wrong version" is used. Dependig on what you use, either mp3 oder fdl will be compiled in the cartridge.

Ok, successfully :D found 1 error and 1 "NoGo".

1) Some pictures are having a wrong name, LogBookImage.jpg instead of Log Book Image.jpg. Of course this doesn't work. After I renamed some pics, it worked, ok no problem.

2) On Garmin devices NEVER use more than 6 or 7 zones active at the SAME time. After starting the stopwatch 15 (!) zones became active and the oregon has crashed after a few seconds. So I have disabled 10 of your zones and started again. Then it works as expected, the item description was updated, I saw the countdown running.

post-3481440-063282700 1366113077_thumb.jpg

Improvement 1 : if IsGarmin=true directly switch to the stopwatch with "ShowObjectDetails Stopwatch".

post-3481440-005092800 1366112813_thumb.jpg

Important : You have defined 3 stopwatch items with the same name, take the right one B)

Improvement 2 : I like the idea of showing pics of a location and the player must go there. But more diversified I would find that some of the objects are in a larger zone, so the player must look/search for the water dishes in a narrow surrounding "Look for the water dish in the near of ...". Combined with some mysterys "Find the water dish, which year date do you see on it ?" I have made the experience that nearly all of the players want to have some active elements in the game. Such as searching real things, solve little mysterys, look for something, answer questions and so on. Going from one point to another without doing something, can be interesting too, but I would miss "some action" <_<;)

Addition :

I have seen cartridges, where always only 5 zones are active and depending of the players location the active zones change. But not any 5 zones, but the 5 nearest (!) zones are active. I don't have use this in my games, but I think a LUA function is necessary. Only working with onProximity events are not enough (perhaps if you only have less zones). At the same time as 1 zone becomes activ another zone must become inactiv and so on.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away and a long trip to drink something :lol:

post-3481440-039705000 1366113155_thumb.jpg

Jonny65,

Thanks for all the feedback. Greatly appreciated!

The issue of more than 6-7 zones crashing the Garmin is a problem that I will need to address. I have an idea....

The solution will be to only make 7 zones active. As each zone is reached it is made inactive and a new zone activated. Should be OK.

I found in URWIGO that if you make more than 7 zones active when first defining the zones then you get a warning that the cartridge may not work on all devices. However, if you make more than 7 zones active as a result of an event (as my previous version did) then URWIGO does not give you a warning. Live and learn.

Cheers,

Geoff aka Tyreless

Edited by Tyreless

Better set only 5 zones to active...7 is absolutely the maximum (at that point, it nearly "begins" to crash). The oregon works slow enough with only 5 zones active. 1 zone active, 1 inactive is simple to solve with "onexit set zoneA=false zoneB=true" and so on , if you have a straight way to go. Much more difficult if there are zones in unorganized order.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to all this. I have some experience in Geocaching but today I found that "WhereYouGo" idea. And it caught me. I want to try to make one myself.

The official builder doesn't work for me so I tried this URWIGO builder.

It is great and I guess I can do a lot with it.

But I'm still looking for a good tutorial. Still I need to understand how to make dialogs etc.

Does anyone know a good tutorial for some basic features?

For example, is it possible to show characters on the map? I realized how to "put" them into a zone but I didn't see any way to put them directly on the map as a character-icon.

I hope someone may help me here a bit. I'd love to make a WhereYouGo cache.

Thanke you very much,

Tobias

I am trying to create a cartridge based a bit on an existing one using Urwigo builder. I am stuck on setting up a Take command for an item apple

I have Take - Message - then On Clicked Move item to player all fine. The one I am looking at then has: Set: apple.Take.Enabled = False

I am being driven crazy trying to find out where they 'dragged' that 'apple.Take.Enabled' expression from.

Anyone able to enlighten me?

Thanks

EDIT, Found it, thanks

Edited by TiedyeSmileys

DOH!!! I finally have a playable cartridge (at least through the URWIGO emulator) that I am happy with as a very simple basic exercise. I am now totally stumped at how to upload it to where I go.

Selecting Build / Compile cartridge / Garmin/Colerado etc I assume will just create a cartridge you can play on these devices directly? It certainly doesn't work on tying to upload that to Wherigo.com.

If I select the Compile online option, it won't do it, always giving an error message that password/name is wrong (even though I log in to Wherigo with them).

There doesn't appear to be any .lua files associated with the urwigo builder project.

How the heck to I compile / upload it??? And here I was thinking the creating was hard.

Hi all,

I am new to Urwigo. I got started by using Earwigo and wanted a way to write cartridges "offline". Urwigo was the answer even though you need to be connected to test or place zones. I also wish there was a manual (for some of the more advanced features).

I have made a cartridge that I want a message to come up every so often. The only problem I have found is if the player is in the middle of a dialog, the timer message interrupts it (the player may miss something important). Is it possible to "resume" anything the player is doing when the timer elapses?

Sparky

Hi all,

I am new to Urwigo. I got started by using Earwigo and wanted a way to write cartridges "offline". Urwigo was the answer even though you need to be connected to test or place zones. I also wish there was a manual (for some of the more advanced features).

I have made a cartridge that I want a message to come up every so often. The only problem I have found is if the player is in the middle of a dialog, the timer message interrupts it (the player may miss something important). Is it possible to "resume" anything the player is doing when the timer elapses?

Sparky

I'm not sure if this is the recommended way to go, but I'd do it by using a "state variable"...

* have a variable which is updated to a set value every time I displayed a user dialog screen (except the timer message)

* each user dialog screen has a unique value

* once the timer message has been acknowledged, you'd know which user dialog screen to resume

Hope this helps. John

Hi all,

Sparky

I'm not sure if this is the recommended way to go, but I'd do it by using a "state variable"...

* have a variable which is updated to a set value every time I displayed a user dialog screen (except the timer message)

* each user dialog screen has a unique value

* once the timer message has been acknowledged, you'd know which user dialog screen to resume

Hope this helps. John

Thanks John!!!

Is there a way to add to a dialog in an item?

I am trying to have a book where the player takes notes on important things throughout the cartridge. As an event happens it adds this information to the book.

Thanks!!!

Sparky

Can you make it so that each additional bit of information is a new page? that way you can have a collection of pages of information, either accessed through the book item, or separate items.

Alternately, you can change the book's item.description field to add extra information to it when required.

Hope this helps, John

Is there a way to add to a dialog in an item?

I am trying to have a book where the player takes notes on important things throughout the cartridge. As an event happens it adds this information to the book.

Thanks!!!

Sparky

Can you make it so that each additional bit of information is a new page? that way you can have a collection of pages of information, either accessed through the book item, or separate items.

Alternately, you can change the book's item.description field to add extra information to it when required.

Hope this helps, John

Thanks again John!!!

Hello,

i can't install Urwigo again (had it installed half a year before). Downloading a new setup.exe did'nt help. This ist the error message i get. Please help me.

INFO ZUR PLATTFORMVERSION
Windows 			: 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime 	: 4.0.30319.586
System.Deployment.dll 		: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
clr.dll 			: 4.0.30319.586 (RTMLDR.030319-5800)
dfdll.dll 			: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
dfshim.dll 			: 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

QUELLEN
Bereitstellungs-URL			: http://apps.yourself.cz/Urwigo/Urwigo.application
					Server		: Apache/2.2.16 (Debian)
Bereitstellungsanbieter-URL		: http://apps.yourself.cz/Urwigo/Urwigo.application
Anwendungs-URL			: http://apps.yourself.cz/Urwigo/Application%20Files/Urwigo_1_12_0_136/Urwigo.exe.manifest
					Server		: Apache/2.2.16 (Debian)

IDENTITÄTEN
Bereitstellungsidentität		: Urwigo.application, Version=1.12.0.136, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=fb346ba55b75f914, processorArchitecture=x86
Anwendungsidentität		: Urwigo.exe, Version=1.12.0.136, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=fb346ba55b75f914, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32

ZUSAMMENFASSUNG FÜR ANWENDUNG
* Installierbare Anwendung.

FEHLERZUSAMMENFASSUNG
Es folgt eine Zusammenfassung der Fehler. Details zu diesen Fehlern werden später im Protokoll aufgelistet.
* Die Aktivierung von http://apps.yourself.cz/Urwigo/Urwigo.application führte zu einer Ausnahme. Folgende Fehlermeldungen wurden entdeckt:
	+ Die Datei 'zone.htm' hat einen anderen berechneten Hash, als im Manifest angegeben ist.

FEHLERZUSAMMENFASSUNG FÜR DIE SPEICHERTRANSAKTION DER KOMPONENTE
Es wurde kein Transaktionsfehler festgestellt.

WARNUNGEN
Während dieses Vorgangs gab es keine Warnungen.

FORTSCHRITTSSTATUS DES VORGANGS
* [27.06.2013 19:30:19] : Die Aktivierung von http://apps.yourself.cz/Urwigo/Urwigo.application wurde gestartet.
* [27.06.2013 19:30:19] : Das Verarbeiten des Bereitstellungsmanifestes wurde erfolgreich abgeschlossen.
* [27.06.2013 19:30:19] : Die Installation der Anwendung wurde gestartet.
* [27.06.2013 19:30:19] : Das Verarbeiten des Anwendungsmanifestes wurde erfolgreich abgeschlossen.
* [27.06.2013 19:30:31] : Kompatible Laufzeitversion 2.0.50727 gefunden.
* [27.06.2013 19:30:31] : Abhängige Assembly Sentinel.v3.5Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=msil wird mithilfe von Sentinel.v3.5Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=msil ermittelt.
* [27.06.2013 19:30:31] : Abhängige Assembly System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil wird mithilfe von System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil ermittelt.
* [27.06.2013 19:30:31] : Abhängige Assembly WindowsBase, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=msil wird mithilfe von WindowsBase, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=msil ermittelt.
* [27.06.2013 19:30:31] : Abhängige Assembly System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil wird mithilfe von System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil ermittelt.
* [27.06.2013 19:30:31] : Die Anforderung der Vertrauensstellung und die Ermittlung der Plattform sind abgeschlossen.

FEHLERDETAILS
Folgende Fehler wurden bei diesem Vorgang entdeckt.
* [27.06.2013 19:30:45] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (HashValidation)
	- Die Datei 'zone.htm' hat einen anderen berechneten Hash, als im Manifest angegeben ist.
	- Quelle: System.Deployment
	- Stapelüberwachung:
		bei System.Deployment.Application.ComponentVerifier.VerifyFileHash(String filePath, Hash hash)
		bei System.Deployment.Application.ComponentVerifier.VerifyFileHash(String filePath, HashCollection hashCollection)
		bei System.Deployment.Application.ComponentVerifier.VerifyComponents()
		bei System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
		bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
		bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
		bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
		bei System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

DETAILS ZUR SPEICHERTRANSAKTION DER KOMPONENTE
Es sind keine Transaktionsinformationen verfügbar.

seems to be a problem with the Hash of the zone.htm-file

"FEHLERDETAILS

Folgende Fehler wurden bei diesem Vorgang entdeckt.

* [27.06.2013 19:30:45] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (HashValidation)

- Die Datei 'zone.htm' hat einen anderen berechneten Hash, als im Manifest angegeben ist."

Maybe the downloadable Programm is corrupted?

My OS is a Windows 7 32-bit system

Edited by Team McWitty

I have a character that I would like to use in two different zones.

I have tryed to have Display on properties checked and unchecked.

I have used Set Sg.Display = True in both zones as well in just one of them. (on Enter)

I can not attach him to more than one location. I have tryed to have none as location.

Is it not possible to use the same character in two zones?

I have a character that I would like to use in two different zones.

I have tryed to have Display on properties checked and unchecked.

I have used Set Sg.Display = True in both zones as well in just one of them. (on Enter)

I can not attach him to more than one location. I have tryed to have none as location.

You could just move the character based on player location. I don't think the character can be in two places at once.

A character can not be at two locations at the same time (the container is a property of the character). The idea of a character is that he can be moved around like any character in the real world would move around. You have to use an appropriate event (e.g. your player entering the second location) to move the character. As Nessmuk has suggested you should use the move command to "walk" your character to the next zone.

Move an element Character:Todd => Zone:Cave

I have 1 character in 2 zones, or I should better say 2 characters with the same name. Its also easier to handle than 1, which is moved from 1 zone to another.

I am sure you have your reasons why you do it this way and I have no doubt that you can handle it either way ;-). If you like to use character copies and Urwigo tolerates it, why not. Quick not Urwigo related hint: other builders will not accept duplicate character names without tweaking.

If you think about follow up issues (I have given an item to Todd, Todd is here but the item is not, ...) you might agree that good start-up practice is to move the character. If not, we are entitled to different opinions and I respect your view.

I don't understand why it should not work on other builders. Each object has an unique ID. Its like a person ... John Smith and John Smith and John Smith are different peoples with the same name. I can create 100 Todds if I want.

In practice : The player has to cross a bridge and there is a guard (Zone Bridge 1), who asks for a password. Later the player crosses the bridge again from the other site (Zone Bridge 2) and the guard is still there (it seems so, but it is "Guard 2" with the name "Guard"), gives the player some hints for the further way. HERE its much easier to handle some different characters with the same name. Of course the way of moving the character is a reasonable practice too.

It depends on the situation which way is the better one.

I don't understand why it should not work on other builders. Each object has an unique ID.

Quick answer to this: Because they display Objects by their name and not by ID. They could but they do not allow identical names to show up in the object list.

Returning to the origin of the question we can re-phrase the answer: A character can not be in two locations at one time but in Urwigo you can create a secondary character under the same name (different ID) and use it. This second character is a new object all by itself and will not "inherit" any properties (e.g. media, commands, items carried, visibility...) from the original one. If needed you have to duplicate these properties "by hand".

Besides this double character approach you can alway move a character to a new location. Moving the character will also move all carried items and all properties of the character to the new location.

Move an element Character:Todd => Zone:Cave

1.How can I add image to message?

I want to show message for example:

"you have got 21 cash" and under it, I want to show picture of cash.

How to do that?

2.How can check stauts of task?

How can I check if(task1.active=true)

post-7730734-078514000 1374836774_thumb.png

Edited by xamseo

1.How can I add image to message?

I want to show message for example:

"you have got 21 cash" and under it, I want to show picture of cash.

How to do that?

2.How can check stauts of task?

How can I check if(task1.active=true)

To add an image to your message click on the green message box then on the properties window on the right is a drop down menu for images (image needs to be in your media "tab")

To check status of a task use the compare expression then you can check if task complete, active etc = true/false

Edited by Stompy&Stampy

I have been playing around with the random number and random decisions and have had some fun. But there is two things that I would like to do that I have not been able to get to work yet.

1. Set random amount of time on an elapse timer

2. Get the random number to also include decimal points, not just whole numbers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

6de2ff0586feb240e1ff3de8bf739289.jpg

In Urwigo, you can add a "Lua User Code" statement

TimerID.Duration = math.random() * 9 + 1

to set the duration of a timer wherever you want. The above sets the duration to a random value between 1 and 10 seconds. This example assumes you have changed the "Identifier" of the timer to "TimerID" which can obviously be anything you would like it to be. You can change this duration in the "On Elapse" event of the timer or most other places in your cartridge. You may have to stop and restart the timer to get it to take effect.

The random value is a real number between 0 and 1. I don't know if the timer itself will take a non integer value or only integers. In the above example, it is then scaled to a real value between 0 and 9, and then increased by 1 to prevent a 0 duration from being set.

I have been playing around with the random number and random decisions and have had some fun. But there is two things that I would like to do that I have not been able to get to work yet.

1. Set random amount of time on an elapse timer

2. Get the random number to also include decimal points, not just whole numbers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TimerID.Duration = math.random() * 9 + 1

to set the duration of a timer wherever you want. The above sets the duration to a random value between 1 and 10 seconds. This example assumes you have changed the "Identifier" of the timer to "TimerID" which can obviously be anything you would like it to be. You can change this duration in the "On Elapse" event of the timer or most other places in your cartridge. You may have to stop and restart the timer to get it to take effect.

Thanx I will give the above a try for the timer.

As for the numbers, I only want random numbers with decimal points for use in dialog (using the concatenate expression)

For example:- "That one is only 5.3 meters long"

where 5.3 can be anything from 0.1 to 10.

Thanx again

Thanx fiz with your help I have managed to get the random timer working :) I have worked out how to increase the timer to 30 secs, but instead of 0-30 It would be nice if I could set it between 8-30 secs. To prevent a too short a timer. One of these days I will learn lua.

Thanx again in advance

Also while Im on here I have an audio playing at the start of the game while the user is reading dialog (story) When they click the button at the end of the dialog the stop.sound command kicks in. When run in the emulator it runs fine, but when I test it on android the sound keeps playing until it reaches the end. Is there a way to prevent this, or is it a glitch with the player :(

Also while Im on here I have an audio playing at the start of the game while the user is reading dialog (story) When they click the button at the end of the dialog the stop.sound command kicks in. When run in the emulator it runs fine, but when I test it on android the sound keeps playing until it reaches the end. Is there a way to prevent this, or is it a glitch with the player :(

This should work if you have a "Stop sound" command in the On clicked event of the last dialog box. Another way would be, that you make a "Start sound" in the On clicked event, which overlaps the sound before. And these sound is a "null sound", a mp3 which contains 1 second silence.

See snapshot attached. Rounding, I think, takes no effect.

Would love to but image wont display :(

This should work if you have a "Stop sound" command in the On clicked event of the last dialog box. Another way would be, that you make a "Start sound" in the On clicked event, which overlaps the sound before. And these sound is a "null sound", a mp3 which contains 1 second silence.

The stop sound command isnt stopping it on android for some reason and it is in the last on click too. I will try the canceling out with a blank sound though.

Thanx for your help