URWIGO builder

yourself

Yes ranger fox, that is what I am trying to do, I will have a look (and hopefully understand some of it) thank you. I thought I had solved all my problems, as when I ran it in the emulator everything worked as intended. But when we did a field test today I couldn't get my user function "complete" to run. I dropped off the last item in the last zone and nothing happened. We were using the android player. Can anyone spot any errors in my code please?

FoxChicGrain.zip

So I was able to get to the cache but nothing happened then I looked and you have nothing programed to happen in the cache zone. I am not sure about having all 3 coords for the cache the same. you may want to just make it a small zone using the map editor. and using on enter or proximity set task complete save game and give the code to the player. I like your cartridge thanks for posting it. Are we allowed to use it for our own purposes?

So I was able to get to the cache but nothing happened then I looked and you have nothing programed to happen in the cache zone. I am not sure about having all 3 coords for the cache the same. you may want to just make it a small zone using the map editor. and using on enter or proximity set task complete save game and give the code to the player. I like your cartridge thanks for posting it. Are we allowed to use it for our own purposes?

Yes you may use it for your own purposes. I have now made adjustments to cache zone. It runs fine in emulator, but on field tests the cache zone doesn't activate and the others deactivate even though condition (all three items in zone B) has been met. So at the moment the cart can not be completed. I can not work out the reason why.

Perhaps a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad mistake causes this ? : In your game it is possible to click "drop" or "pick up", even you are NOT (!) in a zone. The item stays in inventory, but the variable will be increased and the drop command changes from drop to pick up. But of course this doesn't work. You go back to the zone from where you come from and can't drop it. And its impossible too, to pick up another item, because the variable is greater than zero at that moment. You must avoid this by making the drop and pick command invisible when you leave a zone and enable drop or pick if you enter.

Perhaps a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad mistake causes this ? : In your game it is possible to click "drop" or "pick up", even you are NOT (!) in a zone. The item stays in inventory, but the variable will be increased and the drop command changes from drop to pick up. But of course this doesn't work. You go back to the zone from where you come from and can't drop it. And its impossible too, to pick up another item, because the variable is greater than zero at that moment. You must avoid this by making the drop and pick command invisible when you leave a zone and enable drop or pick if you enter.

I finally managed to get it to work, I had to get rid of the on call function and add an extra if/else statement. I hadn't thought of people trying to drop the items outside the zone (whether on purpose or accident) so I will implement as you suggest to hide pickup/drop when not in a zone.

Thank you for the help and input.

I am having a problem with a section of my new cartridge - I am very much a newbie at this (bit do have some programming experience).

The schema is below.

My problem is this:

On getting to the BBQ area (in SA we call this a Braai), a question is asked - "Do you want to light a fire". The answer must be Yes.

If the answer is yes, the cart checks if the player has matches in his inventory. If not he is sent off to the Ranger hut to borrow some matches.

If he does have matches, he should get a "Well Done: message and is given the final co-ordinates. (I still need to finish that bit).

When he returns to the BBQ area, (this time with matches), the logic should give him the "Well Done" message, but it still goes back to the "No Matches" branch. :(

What am I doing wrong?

question.jpg

Help please :)

Pete

Your code is okay. The only thing which would prevent going into the right branch is that the matches are not moved to the player in the ranger(fox) <_< zone.

Or (?) the inventory count does not work on some players ?

You can do the following too : Declare a boolean variable "MatchesTaken", set it to false. If the player gets the matches, set it to true. In your if/else now compare "if MatchesTaken=true". I think thats the better way, because it may be, the player has a knife in his inventory. Then inventory count is greater than 0 too :anibad:

2nd way without a variable : In the rangerzone, switch the task status to completed and compare "if borrow_matches.complete=true"

Your code is okay. The only thing which would prevent going into the right branch is that the matches are not moved to the player in the ranger(fox) dry.gif zone.

Or (?) the inventory count does not work on some players ?

Thanks! In the meantime I found another way. Instead of the Inventory Count, I do a simple If/Else testing for "Player contains Matches". If that is true I give the message, else I branch to the Go to the Ranger zone to get the matches. So far it is working OK.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by TechnoNut

Question about concurrency

Hi Urwigo experts,

I'm refactoring my wherigos a bit and have a hopefully simple question about concurrency in Urwigo/Lua. The situation is: I have Urwigo functions for switching from level to level (so I know where to update things if I change a level). Within the functions (named e.g. L1_to_L2, L2_to_L3, ...) the order of statements is not important, just several things related to the previous level are disabled while the ones related to the next one are enabled. However, when I want to jump from level 1 to 4, can I just call L1_to_L2, L2_to_L3, L3_to_L4 after each other or will those function calls also be treated in parallel (if yes, that would mean that things may not be correctly disabled in the end, because disabling L3 things in L3_to_L4 might happen before enabling L3 things in L2_to_L3.

So what is the situation there, when e.g. doing several such function calls in a message's onclick part? And if it is parallel, is there a way to force it to be done sequentially to achieve my goal?

Happy new year,

siggel

PS: For the ones questioning why I would want someone to jump from level 1 to 4, the reason is: Save/resume seems too unreliable. So I provide a personalized cheat code after each successful level.

In a follow up to a previous post about the inventory count. What if I want a player to earn 3 coins in order to advance? If I have an item called "coins," it does not seem like I can change the count. It says that it is a readonly expression. I can realize I can just set up a variable to keep up with the number of coins, I was just hoping to use the inventory count. If you can not increment this value, then what is the use of it?

In a follow up to a previous post about the inventory count. What if I want a player to earn 3 coins in order to advance? If I have an item called "coins," it does not seem like I can change the count. It says that it is a readonly expression. I can realize I can just set up a variable to keep up with the number of coins, I was just hoping to use the inventory count. If you can not increment this value, then what is the use of it?

The purpose of the inventory count is so that you can determine how many items have been moved to the player's inventory (or even a zone's inventory).

Each item has a unique LUA identifier, so you cannot have multiple instances of it. Perhaps to have multiple coins, the one "coin item" could have a counter associated with it.

Each item has a unique LUA identifier, so you cannot have multiple instances of it. Perhaps to have multiple coins, the one "coin item" could have a counter associated with it.

Yes, "Coin" is one item and "Coin" is a completely different one. Thats why the property "inventory count" on items takes no effect. Its a fake option <_< Instead, as said, use a counter "NumberOfCoins" and increase or decrease it.

What am I doing wrong?

Pete

I assume that the matches are an item. Instead of the compare Matches.Inventory count, I'd be testing player contains matches.

Disclaimer: I haven't checked using my development environment, so this is just off the top of my head.

I am wanting to write some Wherigo's because our area only has 2 currently. I would like them to be as universal as possilbe. It seems by both this thread and my own experiences that the Garmin devices make that fairly difficult. I have found a few people mention a few issues, but no solutions such as not using On Click commands and some zone commands are not supported. So, would it be possible to have someone, in one post, list the differant commands that Garmin does not support and how to work around them? I am particularly interested in the work around for the On Click command. How do you interact with characters without using that command. Thanks. BTW I really like URWIGO! It have had a few foreign youtubes to get started, but once you get the idea, it is pretty easy.

I am wanting to write some Wherigo's because our area only has 2 currently. I would like them to be as universal as possilbe. It seems by both this thread and my own experiences that the Garmin devices make that fairly difficult. I have found a few people mention a few issues, but no solutions such as not using On Click commands and some zone commands are not supported. So, would it be possible to have someone, in one post, list the differant commands that Garmin does not support and how to work around them? I am particularly interested in the work around for the On Click command. How do you interact with characters without using that command. Thanks. BTW I really like URWIGO! It have had a few foreign youtubes to get started, but once you get the idea, it is pretty easy.

I have found that the various players and platforms have their own quirks. I have found that Garmin, Android (WhereYouGo) and iPhone all vary on how they handle the same cartridge. I can't claim to know all the different commands that Garmin does not support, but I can offer a way to handle character interaction. I use "commands" within each character (or item) which provide a defined method of interaction, and have found that to be quite robust across the different platforms.

Unless you have access to all platforms for testing, I suggest that when you release your Wherigo cache page you add a note such as;

"You will need some form of Wherigo player to find this cache.

The cartridge was created using the Urwigo builder, and has been tested on the following devices (if you let me know the platform you use, I can expand this listing);

* Urwigo test platform

* Android WhereYouGo player

* iPhone

* Garmin Oregon

Please let me know in your log which platform you have used to play the cartridge."

Looking for out of the box solution ..

Any idea how I can 'give/exchange' an item from one GPS Garmin to another one (running the same cart of corse) ??

As of now, my only option seems to be via encoded string that player 1 received from a message box and give to player 2 and player 2 enter it in his own... but maybe one of you geeks have a better approch. I know, GPS units are not Wifi and it is not a coding solution I'm looking for a principle of operation !! <_<

You're not the first person to ask for something like this. Having the Wherigo Players talk to each other has been on my short list for a few years now. As things stand, you'll have to come up with your own string to enable this.

Wait one more year and your request should be possible.

The end goal I have in mind, at least for demonstration purposes, is to allow the cell phone Wherigo Players to set up and play a poker game.

Hi, I've created one WIG using Urwigo but now I want to create another cart. Is there a way to ask two questions within one zone?

Chain them together. Do the evaluation of the first question normally. In the place you'd put code/commands if the person got the answer right, put the code/command to ask the second question.

You're not the first person to ask for something like this. Having the Wherigo Players talk to each other has been on my short list for a few years now. As things stand, you'll have to come up with your own string to enable this.

Wait one more year and your request should be possible.

The end goal I have in mind, at least for demonstration purposes, is to allow the cell phone Wherigo Players to set up and play a poker game.

Thanks Ranger,

Have you heard if someone was able to use LUA coding to access ANT protocol/object/function that is part of some devices ?

To my knowledge, ANT access is unavailable to Wherigo. From what I heard, Garmin, after approaching Groundspeak, wrote its own Wherigo Player to Groundspeak's spec. I have no idea about what that spec was because I've never seen or heard of it outside this conversation. I'd love to sit down with Groundspeak and be given the complete history lesson concerning Wherigo.

Hi folks,

Newby question. Finished my first draft of a cart - not very elegant but it works in the emulator. when I tested it in the field on my iphone I couldn't get much past the first series of screens. There was no "back" or "menu" buttons on the iphone.

This could be a case of using "On entry" messages when I enter the first zone - in which case I will try one of the solutions I read in another thread. Before I do this, though, can someone who knows what they are doing (not me, obviously) have a look at it and let me know if that is the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff aka Tyreless

Henry and the Boomer.gwl.zip

Hi again,

My super clunky way around this at the moment is to put a "Show Screen - Main Screen" in the "On click" for each item that was previously failing on the iphone. Very very not elegant, but it works. I'm sure someone will come forward with a better solution.

Cheers,

Geoff aka Tyreless

I can't load the cartridge, neither in GC builder nor via import in Urwigo, so i can't say anything.

Hi Johnny65,

Thanks for looking at it. I might have zipped up the wrong file in my newbiness. Should I zip up the urwigo file or the gwz file? I had simply renamed the gwz file to a zip file.

Tyreless

Edited by Tyreless

The lua file in the gwz created with urwigo doesn't work with urwigo itself :o It must be the urwigo file, but it would be enough, if you cut a small part of the whole cartridge (urwigo file) which contains the "error". Of course you also can put the whole urwigo file in the zip/gwz, but remember it seems here are some hackers, who take the final coords and directly go to the cache B) They don't want to have fun and play. :blink:

Hi friends

I'm completely newbie in WIGo's. Apart from this great forum/thread, is there any tutorial for urwigo that can I read/learn? I'm really interested in create some of them in Madrid Spain. many thanks in any case and please apologize if this is not the correct place to raise this questions.

Cheers, Dr. Entropía

Hi,

I am trying to build a Wherigo us the Urwigo platform.

Establishing and manipulating zones is very easy, however I want have the player pickup (add to their Inventory) some specified object in each of the zones. I have created the objects but haven't worked out how to move (put) them into their respective zones. Nor have I been able to get the coding right for the pickups.

Can anyone help, please.

Jim

On the right side of urwigo you can determine where the item is placed (default is "none"). Switch it to "Forest", then the item lies in the forest. To move the item, you must declare a command on the item. Item is "Hammer", the command is "Take". On these command you must write the code "move hammer to player".

i need some help, im using Urwigo and this morning im suddenly getting an error message when trying to run a cartirage im building.

"This web site needs a differnt Goggle Maps API Key. A New key can be generated at http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/javascript/v2/introduction.html#Obtaining_key

im abit stumped as how i do this with the program itself.

Please help

I started to build my first ever Wherigo the other week, saved my efforts and when I came to open them again, it wouldnt let me. I was heartbroken. I wrote to the contact details and they suggested I ask a question on the forums page as Wherigo isnt really supported. WHilst browsing I find this app. Well, I downloaded it straight away as I was finding the Wherigo builder very difficult and lots didnt seem to work.

I was hoping to see some sort of Wizard, or help files on this but clicking through on Help>Tutorials English Language>Urwigo> Urwigo Tutorial, takes me to a german site that doesn't exist. Is it me?

Im not terribly good at programming, but just want to create a simple walkabout a town Wherigo with a cache at the end.

Eventually Id like to add characters etc but only when I understand it all! Please advise :unsure:

Edited by Sievebrain

Oooh thank you, I will try it. (Bet its no more helpful though!) lol :anicute: Does this different version have a name or date, as I copied it across and it doesnt look any different. It DID however allow me to open up the file. (YEs I have a 64 bit Vista.)

Edited by Sievebrain

No new name or date. I gave up mentioning the issue to Groundspeak as the issue is four years old. But due to the recent map problem with the emulator, I asked for a resolution again since, to create a build that solves the map problem, they'll have to rebuild their setup file anyway. Don't forget to apply the map fix to the emulator if you haven't already.

Also, when you encounter a problem, please feel free to take it to the forum. Chances are very high at least one of us has heard of the problem before and can assist you. That's the fun thing about the Wherigo forums: if you post, you will be helped (and not told how dumb the question is).

Hi all

please help, i have finally finished building my Wherigo and complied it into a .GWZ file using the standard settings in Urwigo.

The problem i have is after uploading it Wherigo.com i go through all the descriptions and starting co-ord, then hit the finish button, but i get the "An Error Has Occurred" page. dose anyone know what i could be missing?

UPDATE: Problem solved, was caused by an errant HTML tag in the description that Wherigo.com rejects if detected

Edited by The Threlkeld Family

Hello everyone. :)

I have been working on my Wherigo few days but now i got problem.

I want command to add randomly item to players inventory but if he has already that item, how can i make it to add another item instead?

so basically i want it to repeat process till it gives atleast one new item. Even if Player has 4 items of 5 it repeats till the player gets the last item he is missing.

Sorry my bad english~

I attached picture to explain what i mean.

Thanks for help. :)

-Pikkopro

EDIT: Nevermind i solved it.

randomitem.jpg

post-4952961-060479900 1365180856_thumb.jpg

Edited by pikkopro

Can anyone help me with displaying a countdown timer?

I have an item called "stopwatch". Originally I had an "on click" event that changed the stopwatch.description so that when you clicked on the stopwatch you could see how much time you had left in the game. Then I read that "on click" events don't work with items on Garmin devices, so I created a command called "OK" that would display a message with the time remaining.

I don't like it because the player now clicks the Stopwatch and then gets a blank screen with "OK" at the bottom and has to click again to get the time remaining. Not very elegant.

I was thinking of a function running in the background that would update the stopwatch.description every second. Is that possible? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Geoff aka Tyreless

Edited by Tyreless

I have used a similiar thing, but thrown it away, because an iphone does not update a message box or descriptions of an item. I want to make each cartridge running on every devices.

What I have done ? An item "Countdown" with no command. A countdown timer with a time of 1 second. A counter with a value of 30. Now the timer starts, in each loop I decrease the counter value and change the item description. Also I check if the counter value is zero. In that case the timer ends. The item description is a concatenated string such as "You have counter seconds left". But as I say, on iPhone you always can see "You have 30 seconds left"

Can anyone help me with displaying a countdown timer?

I have an item called "stopwatch". Originally I had an "on click" event that changed the stopwatch.description so that when you clicked on the stopwatch you could see how much time you had left in the game. Then I read that "on click" events don't work with items on Garmin devices, so I created a command called "OK" that would display a message with the time remaining.

I don't like it because the player now clicks the Stopwatch and then gets a blank screen with "OK" at the bottom and has to click again to get the time remaining. Not very elegant.

I was thinking of a function running in the background that would update the stopwatch.description every second. Is that possible? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Geoff aka Tyreless

Hello,

Did you mean something like in the picture i attached.

post-4952961-063101000 1365575922_thumb.jpg

I created a cartridge called Run to "The Outback" several years ago. The cartridge is about getting to certain locations within a time limit. In it, I use timers to tell the player how long he or she has remaining. You might want to look through the cartridge if you're having trouble. All my cartridges are open source (and no one in my area realizes this; I haven't had anyone yet find a cartridge cache by downloading the source and peaking inside).

Did you mean something like in the picture i attached.

Yes and this doesn't work. Thats the same as I would change the item description. On iPhone it shows me "30 seconds left". Nothing else. If I would click OK after 10 seconds a new message box will be shown with "20 seconds left" but it doesn't update the message box continously. Oh of course emulator and Oregon works fine, but that doens't matter, a cartridge has to run on every device. Perhaps you can make a workaround. Instead of showing "OK" button, use "Update".

Or : Depending on device make 2 cases.

Of course changing pictures in a message box don't work too.

I created a cartridge called Run to "The Outback" several years ago. The cartridge is about getting to certain locations within a time limit. In it, I use timers to tell the player how long he or she has remaining. You might want to look through the cartridge if you're having trouble. All my cartridges are open source (and no one in my area realizes this; I haven't had anyone yet find a cartridge cache by downloading the source and peaking inside).

Ahh, that gave me an idea that seems to work in principle. I have an interval timer called stopwatch, with the following event on start:

Stopwatch%20on%20start.jpg

The timer in the player's inventory updates with the correct time remaining.

Tyreless.

[Edit. A further variation on this theme, and one used by RF, is to update stopwatch.name instead of stopwatch.description. This has a neat feature on an iphone (and maybe other devices) that the countdown can be seen ticking down on the main menu.]

Edited by Tyreless