Building Frustration

mbbaumann

I am trying to build a Wherigo Cartridge and an associated Geocache and it is proving to be really frustrating. I am working with the builder but I am having problems getting all the elements to work properly. I am looking for a good tutorial so I can get this thing built. There is an active caching community here that I think would be interested in this new type of cache (the closest Wherigo Caches to this area are in northern Virginia and Washington D.C.)

I would appreciate it if anyone could steer me to a good set of instructions on how to methodically build a cartridge efficiently with a good chance of success. I have all my locations, photos and tasks laid out. I just can't make a lot of sense out of putting it all together. HELP!?

I am beginning to realize why there are so few of these around and none in my area. :D

Edited by mbbaumann

Have you looked at the Wherigo Tutorial on the Wherigo web site?

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask the community.

You seem to have a good idea what you want to do. I'd recommend walking through the cartridge experience in your mind and adding things that way. The first zone you add is the one you want the user to visit first. After that, create the message boxes, items, and characters as you need them.

Unlike other caches, Wherigo requires a little more creativity and a learning curve. It certainly requires a premeditated effort, as opposed to popping a film can under a skirt. There's a certain satisfaction when you put out a quality cache, though.

(I haven't cached in Norfolk for almost a year. It'll be a good excuse to revisit the area during my active traveling season. Unfortunately, it's out of my FTF range.)

In addition to the offical tutorial, I did a really simple demo at the British Megaevent last year, which your welcome to have a look at. Its a Powerpoint presentation that was a walk about with a geocache at the end. It is only simple, I only had 45min for the presentation from start to finish, but it hopefully will get you started.

I never managed to upload the document due to being a bit big (lots of screen shots), so you will need to send me your email address and then I can send you a copy.

A_Snail

Sorry, I forgot I did get the presentation and everything needed to follow through the example uploaded to the Megaevent website. The webpage is:

http://www.beazley.adsl24.co.uk/cms/

or just go to here to download the compressed file containing everything:

http://www.olliver.plus.com/mega/Building%...%20Tutorial.zip

Any questions, or if the link doesn't work, let me know and I will see what I can do to help.

Edited by a_snail