is it a golf ball or is it a cache

jasondulac

I actually have one and was waiting till closer to spring to release it. I talked to a driving range and they will let me place it in a grouping of trees at the far end of the range (near a doctors office parking lot) with a bunch of other range balls. This area is just outside the range of most drives but will add that little bit of Watch-out factor. :D

Odie

I made one once. It got picked up by a couple of guys looking for their stray ball. They hit it and noticed the bison tube come flying out. They picked up the bison tube and golf ball and put it back together and became geocachers. :D

Log

[Well, we were FTF this one after the golfers.] As we were searching the spot of the cache, 2 golfers approached us on a golf cart asking if we were looking for a ball. When we said yes they said that a golfer had it at the club house. Evidently one of the golfers had lost his ball and his buddy threw him the cache. When he hit it they noticed something silver flying out of it. They opened the cache and the guy was going to log into the site and find out about it. [i guess our timing was pretty good.]
Edited by GeoBain

I actually have one and was waiting till closer to spring to release it. I talked to a driving range and they will let me place it in a grouping of trees at the far end of the range (near a doctors office parking lot) with a bunch of other range balls. This area is just outside the range of most drives but will add that little bit of Watch-out factor. :D

Odie

Hardhat and agility required. Almost sounds like a 5/5.

Odie

Hardhat and agility required. Almost sounds like a 5/5.

Not really, like I said.. it will be on the edge of a doctors office parking lot. Yes, I always wondered why would you put a Doctor's office at the end of a driving range without a ball catch net.

Odie

Not really, like I said.. it will be on the edge of a doctors office parking lot. Yes, I always wondered why would you put a Doctor's office at the end of a driving range without a ball catch net.

Odie

To create a market!

If you're a Doctor you get paid when people get hurt... where else would you want your parking lot besides the end of a driving range? :D:D

Odie

To create a market!

If you're a Doctor you get paid when people get hurt... where else would you want your parking lot besides the end of a driving range? :D:D

At the end of the rifle range? Although the undertaker may get more work than the doctor.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

If splitting or drilling into a golf ball, make sure it is a solid core ball. Liquid center balls can and will EXPLODE from the pressure change of being cut into. The only way to tell is to look up the info on the manufacturer website I guess.

The word "explode" is misleading. A normal golf ball will not explode if you drill into it under any circumstances.

They do sometimes unravel very quickly though. It's quite interesting to make them do it too. Of course drilling into it won't produce this effect, from my experience. You have to cut them with a hack saw. Only a real fool would try to cut a golf ball with a razor blade. That is asking for a deep cut and many stitches.

For reference, I have cut, in half, well over 100 golf balls in my life.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

If splitting or drilling into a golf ball, make sure it is a solid core ball. Liquid center balls can and will EXPLODE from the pressure change of being cut into. The only way to tell is to look up the info on the manufacturer website I guess.

I've never had this happen to me. I've drilled into many golf balls to make bolos and have never had any explode. I think "Mythbusters" should be called on this one.

Odie

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

I've never had this happen to me. I've drilled into many golf balls to make bolos and have never had any explode. I think "Mythbusters" should be called on this one.

Odie

MYTHBUSTERS!!!

I say give em a call.

I was cheking some online stores for cache contaniors and found this

gbcache.jpg

Thought it was cool I ordered a few. havent arived yet. just wondering if any body has seen these before.

It looks like a ripoff of the ball containers that I was making and selling. That one uses a substandard container, in my opinion.

Here's mine:

5ca52b80-1ea6-4d98-81a8-2e15a31c340a.jpg

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

The word "explode" is misleading. A normal golf ball will not explode if you drill into it under any circumstances.

They do sometimes unravel very quickly though. It's quite interesting to make them do it too. Of course drilling into it won't produce this effect, from my experience. You have to cut them with a hack saw. Only a real fool would try to cut a golf ball with a razor blade. That is asking for a deep cut and many stitches.

For reference, I have cut, in half, well over 100 golf balls in my life.

http://smj.sma.org.sg/1101/1101smj12.pdf
A 40 year old article from Singapore? Wow.

It should be noted that if the individual in the article had been practicing the smallest amount of shop safety, there would have been no injury.

Edited by sbell111

OMG!!!!! I cant stop laughing long enough to type!!!! Thank you for sharing that!!! A report which proclaims the last reported injury was in 1967!!!!!! I will have to search through my golf bag and make sure I don't have any forty year old golf balls, before I drill one. :D:D

While I cannot say with absolute certainty, nor am I going to research the websites of all the CURRENT manufacturers, to verify it, but with the technological advances in the "equipment" used to play golf, I seriously doubt they are still using a forty year old process to manufacture golf balls.

I am sure someone will be more than happy to argue that statement. Feel free to do it without my further input. :D

I vote MYTHBUSTERS!!!!

Titleist and Hogan both still make liquid core balls. Probably some other manufacturers, also.
And, as we all have known since we were kids, that liquid is a highly corrosive acid, right?

MYTHBUSTERS!

Told ya' :D lol

Should also correct my post to say the "report" is dated 1970. And knowschad... I think it was radioactive!!!!! :D

Edited by NeecesandNephews
Titleist and Hogan both still make liquid core balls. Probably some other manufacturers, also.
And, as we all have known since we were kids, that liquid is a highly corrosive acid, right?

MYTHBUSTERS!

Water and corn syrup according to the interweb.

BTW, I have had some of this liquid flung on me while drilling them. The scars mostly healed.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

Nope. Won't explode, isn't poison, can't hurt you.

Those are some of many myths, and not a logical one among them!

Get the straight dope on this at http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1...a-deadly-poison

MYTHBUSTERS!

Water and corn syrup according to the interweb.

BTW, I have had some of this liquid flung on me while drilling them. The scars mostly healed.

What did it taste like... saltwater taffy?

I did a golfball cache one. I got to GZ not knowing what I was looking for, but there was a TON of yellow driving range balls in the area (GZ was in the woods next to the driving range). I figured the balls were from people smacking them into the woods.

I had given up and decided to grab a couple golf balls to take with me and the 4th or 5th one I picked up was the cache!!

Wife and I found a golf ball cache once and decided to place a couple. One was muggled before it was actually activated and the second was replaced 3 or 4 times before we archived it. If you are going to place a cache like this, it probably needs to be somewhere people are not looking to pick up stray golf balls. Ours were near the out of bounds area of the golf course, but apparently lots of people walked there and picked up the stray shots.

Not sure I'd "hide" one of those. Anything which looks useful is likely to get muggled.

I think this will make a great container

I am going to start with a golf ball with a big smilie

Drill the hole so the smilie is up that way when people see it they wont be temped to take it

who wants a golf ball with a big slice in it