Trash Out Containers

Kouros

For the past few months, in most caches I've visited where there's been space, I've left small containers (photo cannisters) containing trash out bags.

Sometimes these work well, other times not so much. I think the problem is is that they look like what they are - photo cannisters, with a little label that says "Cache In, Trash Out"

Any ideas for what I could do do make them more appealing?

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

No problem, Sc out, as I based the idea upon this locationaless cache.

Like I say, it works (and seems to work well) but the containers don't really look all that intersting, so I think sometimes people don't even notice them. Something that would liven them up might help, I guess... but I'm plum out of ideas, other than using the International CITO logo from the T-Shirts, and I'd have to get permission off Groundspeak to do that.

------

soapbox.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

Sometimes these work well, other times not so much. I think the problem is is that they look like what they are - photo cannisters, with a little label that says "Cache In, Trash Out"

Any ideas for what I could do do make them more appealing?

Maybe you could paint them blaze orange or neon yellow and put them in ziplock marked, "Do Not Remove, Do Not Use" icon_biggrin.gif.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

My signature item is a tube a 4.5 in long by 1.75in across printed on it is the geocaching logo with there email address and mine inside is a trash bag, also on the outside it called a Cache In Trash Out tote. I did get permission to use the logo and you are right they are needed ………………JOE

Look at my profile to see them

Caching for Life or Divorce which ever comes first

icon_biggrin.gif

We do basically the same thing, use a 35mm film canistor.....but we print these up and tape them to the outside....

Cache In - Trash Out.

Please use the bag in this container to pick up trash (Trash Out) on your way out. Please refill with another bag and drop this containor (with bag) in the next cache you visit.

Courtesy of Northern-Lights.

People can see what they are and really seem to like them.

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!

quote:
Originally posted by Northern-Lights:

We do basically the same thing, use a 35mm film canistor.....but we print these up and tape them to the outside....

Cache In - Trash Out.

Please use the bag in this container to pick up trash (Trash Out) on your way out. Please refill with another bag and drop this containor (with bag) in the next cache you visit.

People can see what they are and really seem to like them.

Right now I also do the bag in the 35mm thing, but just for my own use. I always have a few in my pack, and it makes it easy to just stick in a pocket for those quick dash and grab caches where I might not even bother grabbing my pack.

Maybe I'll print up a label sorta like yours and start leaving them too.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

My wife and I recently went and picked tones of trash by the waterway, even hooked up a rope to the back of my car, to pull one of the shopping carts that were in the waterway, out of the mud in the bottom of the river. Plattic bottles, plastic bags, styro foam containers, coke cans, beer cans, and all sorts of garbage. Really pretty birds, and turtles and sea creatures appreciated our work enough to pose for some pictures. Can someone tell my how to post some of the pictures we get when we clean up a public spot

http://www.mindspring.com/~dickandellen/sunktreasure.jpg

Just post a URL pointing to the picture, just like you just did. Or click the "Display Image" button when entering a reply to this forum. The button looks like a photo and is at the top of the text box where you entered your message.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

quote:
Originally posted by dustyjacket:

Does anyone know a good source of 35mm film containers?

Try a photo place. They will usually give you as many as you want for free.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I like the easter egg idea, though I'm not sure they would hold up like a film canister would. But the egg would make them more appealing to the kids. The eggs come cheap in bulk, but you can't beat the free canisters from the photo labs icon_wink.gif You could use the screw top canisters that boaters use, the water tight seal in them would help keep the bag and instructions dry.

"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"

What an excellent habit for me to copy!

quote:
Originally posted by Northern-Lights:

... a 35mm film canistor.....but we print these up and tape them to the outside....

Cache In - Trash Out.

every little bit of CITO helps, and this idea creates a nice "going forward" chain. very very nice.

a small PS:

if others would like to do the same thing, be sure to spell "container" properly icon_smile.gif

-----

You must be present to win.

Well, I cannot take full credit for this idea of printing labels and putting them on 35 mm film canistors......I got the idea from team UMC.....he does the same thing with slightly different wording.

As far as a source for canistors....just stop by any pharmacy that has film developing and explain your doing an environmental project....they will give you plenty.

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!

I have a bag of these with me at all times. If nothing else they are an different kind of calling card. I leave at least one in all the caches I go to.

I got the idea from a forum post here a while ago.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by nevin1977:

what size of trash bag can one get to fit in a 35MM film container?

I've been able to fit 2-3 of the little trash bags (like the ones you might use for the smallest bedside trashcan), or one of the tall kitchen bags....the white ones...I've never tried a black lawn bag or anything.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

We also reuse the grocery store bags for this purpose. We find them very easy to just crumple into our packs. We also keep a bag full of bags in the cache-mobile so that when we return we can replenish the pack if necessary.

I have been to a cache behind Northern Lights and found their signature container. It very easily drew my attention and I would have used it if I was short on bags, but since I had 6 or 7 with me I left it for the next person. I liked the "refill and replace" concept. The label on the outside definitely helps to draw attention. I looked inside and wondered about the amount of patience that might be required to roll a trash bag up tight enough to fit into that little space. However, maybe it isn't all that hard. Some things look worse than they really are until you try them. If nothing else, it would provide caching related activities that could be done on days like this past Sunday when being out in the woods wouldn't have been a good idea, at least in our area. A lot of trees were weakened by the ice storm last month, and many of them were yielding to the high winds.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need .... roads" --Dr. Emmett L. Brown

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by dustyjacket:

Does anyone know a good source of 35mm film containers?

Try a photo place. They will usually give you as many as you want for free.

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

I second that. I just stopped by Wal-mart and told them my nephew needed film canisters for a school science project (Just to save explaining Geocaching.....since I was limited on time, and they were busy). They brought up the tub that they keep 'em in to recycle 'em, gave me a bag and let me take what I wanted. I ended up with 29 containers...15 clear ones (with the lid sealing inside the container), 13 black ones (The Kodak kind with the grey lid) and 1 Avantix container (The oval shaped ones). 2 of the clear and 2 of the black didn't have lids. But the rest were totally complete. I asked if I owed them anything for them and they said they were mine "no charge". Pretty cool. I needed some to turn into salt and pepper shakers for a camping trip this weekend (bought some cool lids for that at Wal-Mart) the rest are going to become micros or CITO containers.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

I'm just making up a bunch of 35mm film canisters with grocery bags stuffed into them.

I made up a label for them, please feel free to use it:

CITO.jpg

The original is in an OpenOffice drawing, repeated across and down the page to fill it up. I'd be happy to email it to anyone who uses OpenOffice.

What I'm doing is cutting out the label (it's exactly an inch tall, 3 7/8" wide the exact width of a film canister. I take 2 inch packing tape and place the label on it with about 1/4" clearance on each side then wrap that around the canister. They look great!

Cheers,

Bruce.

What a great idea!

I am new to caching but have always carried a trash bag with me when hiking. The labels are very nice, my thanks to Bruce for putting them together.

Be who you are and say what you feel,

Because those who mind don't matter.

And those who matter don't mind.

Theodore Seuss Geissel - a.k.a. Dr. Seuss

Here's my personal story/testimonial, with a happy ending thanks to you guys. icon_smile.gif

I went into a local Rite Aid this afternoon and went to the photo counter. After waiting for a few minutes, a woman came over. I said, "I'm doing a project and wondered if you had any film canisters I could have."

"You mean the actual cases or the tubes they come in?"

"The tubes."

"How many do you want?"

"Oh, I dunno, 10 or 20?"

She looked at another store worker. "Do we need these for anything?" The other one shrugged. She gave me the whole box (24)! It was incredibly easy... all except the part where the other worker tried to get me to pay $25 for each. icon_wink.gif

I loved Bruce's label, and I took a couple minutes and did my own. If anyone wants to use it, feel free... and yes, I got permission to use the CITO logo. I made mine almost like a travel bug in itself; there's a space to give it a little ID number and write your e-mail down. Edit those out if you want.

citolabel.jpg

There's a better quality Photoshop file at justinrussell.com/geocaching/citolabel.psd (630 KB).

So thanks everyone! And thanks, Bruce!

I use the GeoCan, which I make myself. I get the can Caps from a craft store at 3 for $1. The Soda cans are just normal empties, top cut out and painted. Three Wal*mart bags can be loosely stuffed into a soda can, ( or SIX if pressed into Advantix film cans, The OVAL film cans) When the bags are gone it can be refilled or taken and used for a NEW CACHE.

geocan.jpg

Here is mine click on my profile to see them. I have been asked where they come from before, this is the answer :

Don Walker / UPC Specialty Advertising

Phone 615-847-0133

e-mail ASAPforYou@aol.com

Cost about one dollar apiece depending on how many you order at a time. If you contact them say keyword ACORN and he will know what you are asking about.

I stuff my own trash bags inside. I usually don’t trade anything , just leave the CITO tote. This is also how I tell the defference between a micro and a regular cache , if it fits inside it’s a regular cache, if not, it’s a micro.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonWrath:

Loved this idea so I made a label of my own:...

Great label! Do you mind if I use it?

Not in the least! That's why I posted it. icon_biggrin.gif It should be the right size if you just print the page it is on in your browser.

Just hid my first cache, I liked this idea so much that I added a supply of containers to the cache and then a note at the bottom of my cache discription that reads "Take a Cache In, Trash Out film canister (contains a bag) then refill it and pass it on". The cache is close to my home and I ride my mountain bike around the trail 2 or 3 times a week so I can keep it supplied. The cache is in a state park so I had to get permission from the park manager. I think my explanation of Cache In, Trash Out helped sell him on geocaching being a good thing for the park!

Thanks for the great idea of the film canisters with the "trash out" bag inside. I went to the local Walgreens Pharmacy today and asked if they had any to give away and they gave me a cardboard box full of film containers! I made some labels on my computer (used Word) and covered the labels on the film canisters with clear tape. Will put two in each cache we discover from now on.

I used the wording from the ones I found here on this site. Thank you.

Rubeeslpr@aol.com

This is what I have started using here in WV. I hope it helps to clean up some of the forests around here. I bought a pkg of Return Address Labels, 10 sheets of 80 each = 800 lables, for cheap. Downloaded the software from www.printec.co.kr Printed out 2 sheets of labels and slapped them on the free film canisters that the nice people at Wal-Mart Photo Lab gave me when I asked them what they do with their empty canisters. She said they sent them to recycle and how many do I want? Told her "as many as she will give me" She loaded up a Wal-Mart bag with them for me! icon_smile.gif

Use to TRASH-OUT.

Refill with new bag and

place in next cache you visit.

CITO EliJoMikMiNi

The harder you work,the harder it is to give up.

Vince Lombarde

Well, it's been a little over a month, Shadow Force and I have placed a canister in every cache we've found and packed out quite a bit of trash on our own.

After talking to a couple of park rangers, they were more than happy to let us use their trash cans and dumpsters for the garbage we packed out. icon_smile.gif

Sad part is, they seemed very surprised that we did it in the first place. icon_frown.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel,

Because those who mind don't matter.

And those who matter don't mind.

Theodore Seuss Geissel - a.k.a. Dr. Seuss

quote:
Originally posted by Team Crystal Miners:

If you want your film canisters to be noticed, just slap a TravelBug tag on them.

I did that, and oddly enough, something different happened.

In the first cache it visited, people avoided the entire cache for a few weeks (it was anew cache, and visited at least once a week up until then - since it was removed, visitors have been frequent again).

In the second cache, it seems to have fallen in TB oblivion, where visitors have been since, and none have picked it up. Even stranger, there is another TB there (albeit part of TB football game) that no one seems to want either.

I would go and rescue it (OK, it's only been there a few weeks) but it's a cache I've tried tqice to find, and can't locate for the life of me.

------

soapbox.gif

Another kind of container y'all can use - and if you have kids, keeping these around shouldn't be any problem - is a container from M&Ms minis.. The containers are about the size of a film canister... AND since you'd normally throw them away when you were done eating them anyway, you might as well use them for this... The M&Ms labels peel off really easy, too.