Hello

paulmerhaba

Just wanted to say Hello!!!! :blink:

Live in East London.

Think i might be a muggle? :laughing:

Using Iphone and geocaching app ;)

So perhaps you might not like me :o

Cant believe that i have have been walking my Mut around for so long, not knowing this seperate world was going on around me. :)

Having great fun and wanting to learn more.

:o

Hi from another newbie .

Splashed out a small fortune on an etrex h , premium membership and the app for my ipod touch so I could dive into my newly discovered hobby .

Well it's got me and my wife out walking together anyway , which makes a change from just sitting on the computer or xbox360 getting no excercise whatsoever !

I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed today , and feel well pleased to have my first 3 caches under my belt .

Good luck with your geocaching too mate , and I'm sure you'll have fun .

The Crowman

Edited by thecrowman

Just wanted to say Hello!!!! :D

Live in East London.

Think i might be a muggle? :D

Using Iphone and geocaching app B)

So perhaps you might not like me :D

Cant believe that i have have been walking my Mut around for so long, not knowing this seperate world was going on around me. :D

Having great fun and wanting to learn more.

If you've found a cache and hunted/plan to hunt for more, you're no longer a Muggle!

Welcome to both of you.

Welcome to both newbies :D

Ask away if you need advice or help or opinions - Plenty of all three to be found on this forum! :D

Check out "Follow the Arrow" - Resources for Geocachers in UK and Ireland for even more info,

also the Geocaching Association of Great Britain where there's another forum and a store of Landowner Agreements relating to permissions for placing geocaches

and finally a link to many other local geocaching forums around UK.

MrsB :D

I found my tenth cache today! Okay, a pretty insignificant milestone I grant you - hardly a milestone at all in fact, but one I wish to mark as I now feel like I'm a geocacher. It's been about two weeks since buying my etrex and after reading pages and pages of forums set out on a new hobby.

It's been great, something I can do with Mrs AD which is good, and it gets us out and about although rather muddy! We both enjoy walking and this seemed like a logical step. Mrs AD says she is yet to fully embrace the sport, but I think she likes it - she certainly seems to enjoy the hunt once we're in the vicinity of the cache and is getting rather adept at spotting them.

We've had all sorts of caches for our first ten, which has added to the experience, and we've even released our first TB into the wild, here's hoping it travels far and wide.

The other great thing about geocaching is that it takes us off the beaten track. We've lived in Northumberland for a couple of years now, and thought we knew the local area well - but there's been a couple of caches that have taken us to some great locations that we never even knew were there.

Happy days, and happy caching, I'm really pleased that I finally made the decision to start. So much about geocaching appeals to my sense of adventure, and I love the blurring of the line between on-line and real-life.

One question though - Is it a hobby or a sport??

Congrats airdefenderuk!!

I know exactly what you mean. I've had all sorts of mini milestones that would seem ridiculous to anyone else, but which definitely made me feel more "real":

My first solo cache, first urban cache, first cache over head height (those are hard!!), finishing my first series (a 4-cache series in Colorado)

And then at the end of last year, when I started caching under my own name, as opposed to just going along with other people, and all my stats were reset to zero, and I get to do it all over again!

Keep on caching, and enjoy the views. It's a sport, a hobby, a pastime, a lifestyle...whatever you want to call it. If you're ever in London, let me know and we'll grab a few caches!

I found my tenth cache today! Okay, a pretty insignificant milestone I grant you - hardly a milestone at all in fact, but one I wish to mark as I now feel like I'm a geocacher. It's been about two weeks since buying my etrex and after reading pages and pages of forums set out on a new hobby.

Well done. That means you could well be hooked. :D

IMO, it's a hobby... at least, it is the way we play it.

Some folks try to make it more of a sport by injecting an element of competition (Can we get more than XCacher this weekend? How many 5/5 D/T caches can we get? How many First To Finds can we get? etc) but I think the majority of cachers do geocaching as an enjoyable hobby that takes them to a few new places, or shows, or teaches them something interesting. The best caches manage to do this, but you do have to be a bit selective and read the cache descriptions and decide for yourself whether it reads like a cache you fancy hunting down.

Good luck to all the newer cachers who've recently joined the game.

MrsB :D

Edited by The Blorenges

a hobby with a lot of potential to turn into an addiction :D

Addiction?!?!? What rubbish... I could give up tomorrow, well not tomorrow as I've promised to do a night cache with a friend... but I could on Thursday, well until Friday, when I'm going caching with another friend...well OK I could the following week, well the end of that week when I get back from a few days away umm caching....

Now you mention it....