People Stealing FTF's

I just saw a couple of policemen chasing an FTF thief down the street. The fool had stolen FTFs falling out of his pockets! I sure hope they caught him, the crook!!

Is THAT where they went? I've been missing some!

Say, would you mind editing the quoted part of your post. You know... where I called an FTF a TFT? Yeah, that part. Cute bow, by the way.

Done - that'll be $10, please.

;):huh:

Much appreciated. Here y'go:

10_bill.jpg

Edited by knowschad

No, silly, they stole the $10!

Nope. They're just hiding it from you. The rest of us can see it just fine. ;)

Try again now. I pay my debts.

That joke went awry. :huh: I did see the $10 from the start, I just altered the URL when I replied to make it look like a blank, stolen image.

Never mind! I know I have a weird sense of humor.

There is a local family who has started caching in the past couple of months. They all have their own usernames, all with premium accounts and they all get FTF's on the caches they publish. I can show up to a cache within ten minutes of it being published and somehow, someway it's already been signed. It's frustrating to say the least and after the last time, not worth rushing out after any of their caches anymore. Now any other person in the area publishes a cache, I can show up an hour later and still be the first to sign, kinda funny I think. Am I gonna lose sleep? No, is it kind of annoying to not have people play along with everyone else? Yes. Sure, no rules about finding caches first, but it's just part of the game as I see it

:) "Everybody should play along with my game." Glad you wont be loosing sleep cause it ain't gonna happen. I don't even see it as playing along with everybody else. There is only a small percentage of cachers who play the FTF game. That's why it is always one of the same handful of people getting the FTFs.

I'm not saying everyone should play it how I want to play it. I'm saying a group of us FTF hunters have been having fun with it for the past few months and we could almost always count on seeing each other there. No rules, no one has said anything, we just knew it. Now there is a twist on how we've been doing it and it's not as fun for us, but seems to be more fun for others, which is fine. They aren't breaking any rules and for all I know, maybe they're not going for them until after they're posted. Just kind of miss seeing my friends in the middle of the night, lol.

Are these family members logging "FTF!" notes in the cache pages, and/or logging online saying, "FTF!"? I know that in our area, we've always been fine with family or friends logging the cache if they were present during cache placement. It seems silly to make them go home, then come back at a later date to find and log the cache. Waste of time and energy and money (especially nowadays). We all just ignore those people that we know were there when the cache was placed, and FTF hunters just go out and log their FTF (after publishing :P ). It doesn't seem to damper the FTF race at all. Of course those family or friends who were there during placement, don't go around bragging about their FTF on the cache, and they usually wait until others log it online before they do. Seems to make everyone happy.

I would suggest that you just ignore any FTFs made before publishing and do your own race for FTF. If you enjoy (accidently) meeting up at midnight to search for a new cache and see which one of your FTF group gets it, go ahead and still do it! No reason to allow someone else to dictate your fun! Fun is all in the mind, go out and have it! :):D

i only ever go out for a FTF if its real close to my home co-ords, but the main reason for me geocaching is i love finding places of real beauty and historical interest that i would not have even come across had it not been for the cache hunt , i love the thrill of the hunt but love the outdoors more.

muttitt

Honestly, I have never understood the FTF craze. In 3 years and 2600 finds I've gotten 36 FTF's. Maybe 5 times, I've really wanted FTF (like on AZ's 1st Wherigo cache, which I got). Most of them came late at night when the cache was published, but unfound, and since I knew everyone else was home for the night, I figured I 'should' want to go get FTF more than I genuinely 'wanted' to.

Sometimes I'm actually glad I'm not a FTF hound because sometimes caches come up that are placed with bad coords and the FTF hounds get stuck dealing with it and stuff. After a few finds, the owner catches on and fixes it and then I can swoop in for an easy find. :rolleyes: