Dakota screen brightness. . question for owners

mx125

I just got a Dakota 20. The screen seems quite dark to me. I've read a few reviews that refer to the slightly darker screen but wanted to ask if it is (as the store told me when I called them) actually the way they are designed . . . .and not a faulty one.

For reference i have an older etrex vistaC which is very bright white with backlight on . . .and a Zumo which is extremely (blindingly) bright white with screen at even 50% brightness. My Dakota is definitely too dark to see unless i hold it directly in bright light. With the backlight on (full) it is vewable but definitey more muted greyish icons. Barely white and no real "glow". Not bright white. I can see that the screen captures I've taken look the same as posted on other reviews and in the manual . . ie. Great! . . but the reality is far less so. Is this the way these new units are . . .or do I have weak unit??

Thanks.

I've owned a Dakota 20 for several months now. I've never adjusted the screen's backlight function and its been plenty bright enough for me. It definitely sounds like you have a defective screen. Mine has been great in bright sunlight or inside. You might want to take it back and see how a replacement compares.

I just got a Dakota 20. The screen seems quite dark to me. I've read a few reviews that refer to the slightly darker screen but wanted to ask if it is (as the store told me when I called them) actually the way they are designed . . . .and not a faulty one.

For reference i have an older etrex vistaC which is very bright white with backlight on . . .and a Zumo which is extremely (blindingly) bright white with screen at even 50% brightness. My Dakota is definitely too dark to see unless i hold it directly in bright light. With the backlight on (full) it is vewable but definitey more muted greyish icons. Barely white and no real "glow". Not bright white. I can see that the screen captures I've taken look the same as posted on other reviews and in the manual . . ie. Great! . . but the reality is far less so. Is this the way these new units are . . .or do I have weak unit??

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick responses. It seems like each of you has a different experience. I understand it's tought to say, though, as these things can be very subjective. It's not unuseable, but is a bit straining. In normal evening ambient home lighting (not holding under a direct light) I definitely need the backlight to see the screen. Trrop76 . . is your's actually reasonable in this situation without backlight? And at full backlight you'd say it's quite bright? On mine the 50% brightness is pointless. I have to go to 100%.

I probably should compare it to another demo unit in a store. I can live with it . . .but don't want to blindly (pun not intended) keep a unit that is calibrated incorrectly.

It will be nowhere near as bright as the Vista C, due to increased resolution and the touch screen layer. Plan on using the backlight.

My main concern was that my unit was an outlyer and I'd have to send it back. It's good to know it's just "the way it is". Thanks.

It will be nowhere near as bright as the Vista C, due to increased resolution and the touch screen layer. Plan on using the backlight.

I've been testing a Dakota 20 for a little over a week. The screen is a bit brighter than the Oregon and Lowrance Endura screens but nowhere near as bright as the older eTrex units. In bright sunlight and lots of reflection from snow cover - the screen can be a bit difficult to read even with the backlight on full.

Just a part of the design.

Not sure how they are setup, but on Oregon and Colorado, you need to turn off DEM shading to get rid of the brownish background and make it white. This makes a large difference on screen visibility.

Yes . .on auto mode the map is a little easier to see. Still too dark for me without the backlight, but at least in very direct sun the screen doesn't wash out.

I'm sure you know this already, but just in case you don't - you can adjust the backlight brightness by momentarily pushing the power button. A menu comes up and you can then increase the screen brightness. I have mine on max bright and it's fine for me.

Thanks . . yes . . I do have it at max. Actually, I have read on another review somewhere that on external power (car plug) the screen is brigther. Perhaps screen brighness is capped primarily for battery life. Is this a myth or have some of you used external power?

The screen is brighter if you use an external (ie car) adapter.

That's good news. Thanks . I wonder if it is potentially configurable in a setup menu or in a future firmware? I would like the option of trading battery life for brightness. However, it may be simply capped by the necessary requirements of the unit vs. the mW output of 2AA's.

That's good news. Thanks . I wonder if it is potentially configurable in a setup menu or in a future firmware? I would like the option of trading battery life for brightness. However, it may be simply capped by the necessary requirements of the unit vs. the mW output of 2AA's.

I would not count on it. All Colorados/Oregons/Dakotas work this way. They are very bright when plugged in.... I assume it is just too much power draw.

Is the screen actually brighter on external power or simply at its brightest setting? I have an Oregon 200 and I don't have an external adaptor to try it with, but it would be nice if it were brighter in the car or on the bike.

I've always wondered if these Garmins have dimmer touch screens than most because they are made tougher (more/thicker layers). My cell has a much brighter screen, but I wouldn't touch it with dirty fingers or expect it to survive much of a drop.

Anyways, I've gotten used to the relatively dim screen like a previous poster, but I still use my Venture on my bikes.