Singature Swag

ad5smith

Does any one have a signature swag item that they try to leave at all found caches, if possible? Since i also am a coin collector i try to leave a 1976 bi-centennial half dollar, it's only worth face value, but to someone else it may be just $ .50 to get a soda or something, which is fine with me.

Does any one have a signature swag item that they try to leave at all found caches, if possible? Since i also am a coin collector i try to leave a 1976 bi-centennial half dollar, it's only worth face value, but to someone else it may be just $ .50 to get a soda or something, which is fine with me.

Sounds like a nice one. I have a few of those that I've culled from some rolls that I got. I like leaving half dollars as swag, since it's a coin that people don't see every day. Especially the kids. If you place each one in a little holder, or tiny ziplock, with a card, then people will recognize it as a signature.

I have yet to experience the thrill of finding my first cache (I blame the ridiculous amounts of snow we have been receiving in the past month) but I have already created some signature items in preparation. I put together a stamp with my username and the year and I hand stamp both 1.5" wooden nickles and some handmade "fimo nickles" and put them into tiny ziploc baggies. They might be silly but I like them!

sig-1.jpg

Also, check out this topic in the forums. It gives you a really good idea what others leave and I have seen some trading. Be aware that the older posts are from a few years ago!

Some good ideas here!

I'd never thought about leaving an actual coin. I'd thought about pathtags, but that's , at least for me, a significant outlay of funds to get them.

I'd thought about wooden nickels as well as something like custom imprinted things like keychains. The big consideration there is the rather large minimum amounts that you have to buy to get them made as well as set up fees, etc.

The Fimo thing has possibilities. Beyond knowing what it is, I have no experience with it, nor do I know anyone who does. Anybody know of any links, etc. to using it that I could pursue?

:D

I'd thought about wooden nickels as well as something like custom imprinted things like keychains. The big consideration there is the rather large minimum amounts that you have to buy to get them made as well as set up fees, etc.

If there's a craft you like to do, try to make a Sig Item out of it. Use scraps you have on hand. Draw/paint pictures or write on small objects. A handmade item is often more meaningful than something mass-produced. Even if you do get a lot of wooden nickels made, you could sign & number them.

A cool thing about handmade stuff is, you can try a bunch of ideas and see what works for you. Some of my Sig Items are one-of-a-kind.

If you'd like to make keychains, you can get the clear plastic "snap-in" style (for photos and drawings), for less than 50 cents each.

I have just started making snake knot key chains that are about 3 inches long. I'm using a product similar to paracord. Interesting knot, it takes about a foot of string to make an inch of the knot, so they take three feet of the string. I like them because they can be untied if you have an emergency need for string. I also have a necklace made out of the stuff that i wear hunting. It has about 30 feet of the stuff in it. Great survival tool. I'll post a pic a little later today.

i like that fimo nickel very cute!!!!!

the only recommendation i have for people leaving sig items make sure your names are on them so we know they are a sig item.....

the person that said they leave flower seeds... make sure they are in baggies so the packet doesnt get wet =)

i am also looking into pathtags but don't have the funds to be able to do them yet... hopefully soon =)

I have yet to experience the thrill of finding my first cache (I blame the ridiculous amounts of snow we have been receiving in the past month) but I have already created some signature items in preparation. I put together a stamp with my username and the year and I hand stamp both 1.5" wooden nickles and some handmade "fimo nickles" and put them into tiny ziploc baggies. They might be silly but I like them!

sig-1.jpg

Also, check out this topic in the forums. It gives you a really good idea what others leave and I have seen some trading. Be aware that the older posts are from a few years ago!

At the nearby craft store, I get a packet of sheets called "Shrinky Dinks" You color on the transparent paper (you can even trace pictures) with colored pencils, cut your design out, and put it in the oven for 2 minutes and it shrinks to a thick plastic piece. I like to make coins with "kristaxc" on it. They always turn out pretty cool.

This is what I leave.

dragonsig1.jpg

Nice! How do you make that?

I roll out clay with a rolling pin, then stamp the dragon with a leather stamp, then use a cookie cutter to cut it into a circle. I wait for them to dry about halfway and then scribe my handle and the year on the back. Then after the clay dries completely I fire it in my kiln, then paint (glaze) them and then fire them again.

From start to finish they take a little over 3 days to make but I can make 50 at a time.

bittsen..... wanna come leave some here around me those are great!!!!!

Thanks.

I'll get right on a plane and head down there.

;)

When I first started geocaching, I had bought a big package of 1000 American Flag pins on eBay for another project that never went through, so I put my screen name on the back of each one and would leave one in each cache that I found that they would fit.

Then I found pathtags, and I had one made up. I only leave pathtags in the caches that go on my favorites list though. I should start leaving the flag pins in all of my finds again though, people seemed to like them.

I roll out clay with a rolling pin, then stamp the dragon with a leather stamp, then use a cookie cutter to cut it into a circle. I wait for them to dry about halfway and then scribe my handle and the year on the back. Then after the clay dries completely I fire it in my kiln, then paint (glaze) them and then fire them again.

You seem to have access to a lot of toys :) Is the laser engraver still on your wish list? That should be able to make some really neat sig items.

Wonder if you can glue some tiny, bright red glass bead for the eye of the dragon to match your avatar :P

When I first started geocaching, I had bought a big package of 1000 American Flag pins on eBay for another project that never went through, so I put my screen name on the back of each one and would leave one in each cache that I found that they would fit.

Then I found pathtags, and I had one made up. I only leave pathtags in the caches that go on my favorites list though. I should start leaving the flag pins in all of my finds again though, people seemed to like them.

My long lost twin! I've found you at last!

Just kidding. But I was highly tickled because that was exactly what I did. The flags from eBay, then pathtags :)

You seem to have access to a lot of toys :) Is the laser engraver still on your wish list? That should be able to make some really neat sig items.

Wonder if you can glue some tiny, bright red glass bead for the eye of the dragon to match your avatar :P

I do have a lot of toys.

And, yes, the laser engraver is still on the list. If my finances were more stable, i would have bought it by now but I have to watch my butt.

My next project is geocaching inspired and if it goes well I can afford the laser evgraver. Of course I would probably just pocket the cash and push the egraver out a little more, knowing myself the way I do.

But, if I can get a market for breaking even, that laser engraver would be here in a week.

Edited by bittsen