signature cards

firemanjim903mfd

I dont really see the point in these signature cards. I've been given a few, but I dunno, just dont get it. And since you asked, I don't consider them swag as I dont see a kid finding much more use out of these things than I would and while not all swag should be kid friendly (toys), someone should find some use out of it and I dont find much use out of a piece of paper. For me, these almost fall in the same category as religious materials.

A suggestion for someone who might be considering getting signature cards. ???

While I'm not familiar with what size a "signature card" is, how would something like an Amateur/Ham Radio QSL card work? Some of those are quite involved and some are rudimentary. They are postcard sized give or take and can be obtained pretty easily in a wide range of prices, features, etc. Check any amateur rado site for links to people who make them. I just "Googled" "qsl cards" and got a whole string of possibles.

I dont really see the point in these signature cards. I've been given a few, but I dunno, just dont get it. And since you asked, I don't consider them swag as I dont see a kid finding much more use out of these things than I would and while not all swag should be kid friendly (toys), someone should find some use out of it and I dont find much use out of a piece of paper. For me, these almost fall in the same category as religious materials.

thanks for the post . The sigature card that I have seen have been placed in some of the caches that I have found , I thought they where neat but I didnt know what to do with them . I also thought about printing one of my own to put in other caches that had some other cards in them . Also as far as taking them for swag I think it would be fun to collect the signiture cards to see how many a person could find .

I also thought about printing one of my own to put in other caches that had some other cards in them . Also as far as taking them for swag I think it would be fun to collect the signiture cards to see how many a person could find .

You absolutely must make the card so it won't get wet. If people collect them (well, that's the idea), they'll want a nice clean one. I've laminated my good cards, and any non-laminated ones (such as "info sheets" placed with a Sig Item) are at least in a ziplock bag.

Make a card that you'd enjoy finding, and that you think others might like. Functional is good. I've done one that has a ROT-13 code. On the back, it has a short explanation of the Geocaching hobby. And it's mysterious-looking, which is a style I'd like to find.

ROT13-Mystery1.jpg

I should also mention to "trade up or trade even". I think it's tacky to drop your signature item and take something nice for it -- unless it actually is more valuable for some reason. Some folks may disagree. Other people take an expensive piece of Swag and leave a gum wrapper. So I've completely lost my train of thought. Derailed. Never mind.

thanks for the post . The sigature card that I have seen have been placed in some of the caches that I have found , I thought they where neat but I didnt know what to do with them . I also thought about printing one of my own to put in other caches that had some other cards in them . Also as far as taking them for swag I think it would be fun to collect the signiture cards to see how many a person could find .

I've always considered them to be a parallel to signing the log (XYX has visted this cache). I agree I don't see much point in it but I suspect that removing said cards might be considered by the placer as tantamount to deleting their name from the log?

I've always considered them to be a parallel to signing the log (XYX has visted this cache). I agree I don't see much point in it but I suspect that removing said cards might be considered by the placer as tantamount to deleting their name from the log?

There should be no expectation that anything you put into a cache container will remain there. The only thing that must be in there is the cache log. Sometimes you might place an extra sheet of paper (signed), when the log's full (or missing), but that's not much of a Sig Item.

I move "wooden nickels" and other interesting Sig Items I've found, into other caches. They aren't counted as log signatures.

Edited by kunarion

I collect and enjoy signature cards. I do not consider them swag, if I leave one in the cache it is with the expectation that someone who collects them will take it and enjoy it. You need not trade for them unless you have a signature card to leave.

They should never be left in place of signing the logbook.

The cards should be laminated or otherwise waterproofed or protected. And I never leave one in a cache that looks like it wouldn't be weather resistant.

I collect and enjoy signature cards. I do not consider them swag, if I leave one in the cache it is with the expectation that someone who collects them will take it and enjoy it. You need not trade for them unless you have a signature card to leave.

They should never be left in place of signing the logbook.

The cards should be laminated or otherwise waterproofed or protected. And I never leave one in a cache that looks like it wouldn't be weather resistant.

Thank you very much . You gave me all the info I was looking for . Thanks again and happy caching

My girls thought up a great idea that we are working on... They wanted to make our signature tokens that say "OhSoFLY and GirlSSSS" out of FIMO putty that you bake to harden. We would then leave one in every cache we could fit them into. We would just make coin shapes with the cookie cutter, bake them so they harden, write our signatures on them with a felt pen, and clear coat them so it stays forever. I have to go out tomorrow and get some FIMO putty cause its our evening craft for the day. Hopefully our first cache will be approved by tomorrow and we can go the next day and put some of our personal swag in our cache...

My girls thought up a great idea that we are working on... They wanted to make our signature tokens that say "OhSoFLY and GirlSSSS" out of FIMO putty that you bake to harden.

I found some link before regarding using polymer clay to make interesting designs :

http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/masterindex.html#canework

I'm sure you can google for more.

Good luck with your project. I enjoy finding and trading for signature items.

Hi,

When I found the first signature card in one of my caches, I thought it was a great idea. Actually I took it as greeting from the finder to me as they had made other swaps. I brought it home and started a collection. It is now something to look forward to on my maintenance runs. Sadly my collection isn't very big. Anyone wanting to put signature cards (preferably home made ones) in my caches please know that they are very welcome.

Cheers,

Dan

We enjoy the signature items.

We use personalized clay poker chips as our sig item, with the expectation that anybody who collects that sort of thing is welcome to take it. We do collect unique sig items if they appeal to us. We don't consider our sig item a trade for swag, the swag is separate. If we take swag we leave swag, if there is room we leave a sig item, if there is an interesting unique sig item we may take it as our collectible.

:huh: