Micro mini caches

spioradsaor

I am fed up with the plethora of micro minis...Jings there are hundreds springing up everywhere...Lets get back to the ammo boxes and real swaps...My caches are still out there with quality swaps...

Apologies for the rant..However I'm cheesed off having to take a pencil to log the thing..and then theres no room to leave Tb or anything else.

In my opinion its not clever smart or anything else just boring.

Edited by spioradsaor
I am fed up with the plethora of micro minis...Jings there are hundreds springing up everywhere...Lets get back to the ammo boxes and real swaps...My caches are still out there with quality swaps...

Apologies for the rant..However I'm cheesed off having to take a pencil to log the thing..and then theres no room to leave Tb or anything else.

Ummm.... you could get shot down in flames for a post like that. Doesn't everybody know that a really lame micro is the 'New Regular'?

Edited by Pharisee

I think a cleverly placed Micro is a good challenge, but a Micro just because 35mm film cases are free, and you don't need to put trades in, well that is placing caches just to place caches. It gets me when there is a micro in the middle of a woods, in a place you could hide a bus!

I think a cleverly placed Micro is a good challenge, but a Micro just because 35mm film cases are free, and you don't need to put trades in, well that is placing caches just to place caches. It gets me when there is a micro in the middle of a woods, in a place you could hide a bus!

Aside from the amount of bark you'd need to conceal a bus it would have the advantage that you'd need one seriously determined muggle to take it away :laughing:

I'm a real fan of magnetic nanos - I've seen lots of really clever hides. Surely it's horses for courses? If you don't like a certain size of cache, exclude them from your searches? :o

Once saw a magnetic nano placed on a bridge over a motorway; that was dangerous, I removed it and reported the cache,

So, don't go looking for them. It's really quite simple.

I have a micro in the woods which is very clever indeed. Anyone can hide an ammo box in the woods, it takes real skill to hide a cache on a bare tree in the middle of a path.

I'm a real fan of magnetic nanos - I've seen lots of really clever hides. Surely it's horses for courses? If you don't like a certain size of cache, exclude them from your searches? :)

Yes. So long as they are listed by the cache owner as being "Nano" and not as "Other" in the listing. :o

I'm way behind - when did Nano become a size option?

it hasn't, only option for a NANO is OTHER

and for the record i like micros, they can be indeed great challenging caches, if they are hidden well

but the "lame" hides are enjoyable too... i call them "instant gratification" caches...which once in a while are nice to go for

caching for me is means of relieving stress after a workday, during the week i don't always have the time to go for long walks in the woods, like i do in the weekends, so i just go for "instant gratification" caches

like everyone else said, don't like them don't "hunt" them

Cache Sizes

These sizes apply to all caches that have a physical container.

# Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

# Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

# Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

# Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)

from here

Maybe it should be taken that anyone calling a cache size "Other" is trying to disguise the fact it's a "Nano"?

Or GS need to have a size "Nano"?! So that those that like/dislike "Nano" can filter them in/out?!

Cache Sizes

# Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

# Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

from here

Maybe it should be taken that anyone calling a cache size "Other" is trying to disguise the fact it's a "Nano"?

Or GS need to have a size "Nano"?! So that those that like/dislike "Nano" can filter them in/out?!

until the emergence of the nano containers, the film canister was the micro

people will most time choose "other" and mention in the description that it is in fact a nano

i think it will be a good idea to add "nano" as a size option in the listings

Cache Sizes

Officially, there is no such thing as a 'nano' cache... If it's the same size as a 35mm film pot or smaller then it's a micro... pure and simple. Call it a 'nano' in the description if you must but but please tick the 'micro' box for cache size, not 'other'. That way I can filter it out and ignore the b****y things :o

Once saw a magnetic nano placed on a bridge over a motorway; that was dangerous, I removed it and reported the cache,

Who gave you the right to steal someone else's cache because in your opinion it was in an unsuitable position?

I took Moote's comment to mean that the cache was posing a danger to traffic on the motorway below, if so then he's perfectly right to remove it.

Who gave you the right to steal someone else's cache because in your opinion it was in an unsuitable position?

I took Moote's comment to mean that the cache was posing a danger to traffic on the motorway below, if so then he's perfectly right to remove it.

Ah! Thank you, I didn't know that's what he meant. Presumably he then placed it in a place close by that wasn't a danger to traffic and got the coordinates updated by the owner.

Ah! Thank you, I didn't know that's what he meant. Presumably he then placed it in a place close by that wasn't a danger to traffic and got the coordinates updated by the owner.

I am still trying to work out how a magnetic NANO cache on a bridge over a motorway could be dangerous, presumably it was a proper bridge with safty rails on either side and a road/footpath going across it.

Unless of course that the owner had placed it in such a way that the cache hunters had to climb up on the fencing/barrier and put themselves in danger.

I am still trying to work out how a magnetic NANO cache on a bridge over a motorway could be dangerous,

purely speculation but one way would be:

magnetic nano attatched to metal railing on the edge of the bridge, cacher trying to remove/replace it fumbles and drops it, car flying down the fast lane at 70mph gets a half ounce metal container in the middle of the windscreen.

Nothing that couldn't happen by debris being thrown up from the roadway but even so I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

Common sense gave me the right, if it had been accidentally knocked off whilst being found It could have landed on a car windscreen, possibly causing a serious accident. Removing it was hardly a major crime considering a possible could be worse outcome leaving it there! Only takes a little common sense to realise that a small heavy object and a car / cars travelling at 70mph are not a good combination; sometime I think that Geocachers fail to use that sense!

Common sense gave me the right, if it had been accidentally knocked off whilst being found It could have landed on a car windscreen, possibly causing a serious accident. Removing it was hardly a major crime considering a possible could be worse outcome leaving it there! Only takes a little common sense to realise that a small heavy object and a car / cars travelling at 70mph are not a good combination; sometime I think that Geocachers fail to use that sense!

Which implies that the cache placer, and the reviewer for that matter, are lacking in common sense whereas you have the monopoly. It must be wonderful to know that one is superior to us lesser mortals.

Which implies that the cache placer, and the reviewer for that matter, are lacking in common sense whereas you have the monopoly. It must be wonderful to know that one is superior to us lesser mortals.

A reviewer might not be on the ground, or have full information; the placer should have known better. I'm not claiming to be superior to anyone, just saying I noted an issue which I felt was serious enough to warrant the removal of the cache ASAP

Edited by Moote

As really there was no suitable alternate location, I did none of the above!

That's all very well, but when I'm looking at the map which shows where all the caches in a particular area are, there is no filtering for size and I have to open up each one seperately to see if it's a micro or not! I know I could run a PQ but the map has the advantage of quickly seeing where they all are at once. Such a waste of time when I could be out there finding boxes!

I'm a real fan of magnetic nanos - I've seen lots of really clever hides. Surely it's horses for courses? If you don't like a certain size of cache, exclude them from your searches? :)

Yes. So long as they are listed by the cache owner as being "Nano" and not as "Other" in the listing. :o

I'm way behind - when did Nano become a size option?

it hasn't, only option for a NANO is OTHER

and for the record i like micros, they can be indeed great challenging caches, if they are hidden well

but the "lame" hides are enjoyable too... i call them "instant gratification" caches...which once in a while are nice to go for

caching for me is means of relieving stress after a workday, during the week i don't always have the time to go for long walks in the woods, like i do in the weekends, so i just go for "instant gratification" caches

Been away for a few days (caching - on the moor - you really all ought to try it some time) and really sad to see that this is just about the only new thread on the UK&I forum.

Yes - anybody that's been caching for more than a couple of years hates lazy micros.

No - they aren't going to go away. We were all warned, and we all chose to ignore the warning.

Live with it - it's a monster of our own making!

That's all very well, but when I'm looking at the map which shows where all the caches in a particular area are, there is no filtering for size and I have to open up each one seperately to see if it's a micro or not! I know I could run a PQ but the map has the advantage of quickly seeing where they all are at once. Such a waste of time when I could be out there finding boxes!

you can preview your PQ on a map too

So create your PQ to ignore all the micros, view it as a map, bookmark the page, and immediately you can go straight to your map with the micros removed. It will also give you caches over a larger area, because of the removal of the micros.

I'm a newbie to Geocaching (a mere 9/11 finds so far), so forgive me if I sound Nieve.

I have so far enjoed Micro Caches, as well as "standard" Caches. Being new to the sport, they present somewhat of a larger challenge and it is extremely satisfying when you find one. There are two in the town centre I live in that are film cannisters. I have seen TB's and Geocoins in them, and see no reason why small items can't be left for swapping.

I have also bought from ukgeocachers, a small ally micro keyring cache that I will be laying. Why? Because I want the challenge of laying a clever, difficult, interesting and fun cache to lay. For me, laying a micro will take a lot of thinking and imagination, and I am looking forward to the challenge.

Edited by rob.marsh

"only option for a NANO is OTHER "

I don't understand this comment, a nano should be shown as a micro as that covers all caches the size of a 35mm film canister or smaller, according to the size guidelines I've read.

If the CO wants to add in the description that it's a nano then that is up to them surely?

Taken from This post in another thread

Bait the Trolls hahahahaha you make me laugh with your name and shame website Shame on you Web Rat!

Moote you are such a hypocrite!! The above comment refers back to you making accusations over people being self appointed cache policemen, yet you have done this yourself on several occasions, only the other day you admitted to being a self appointed cache policeman, here's a reminder to your policing technique. Just because YOU thought it was dangerous doesn't mean it actually was and YOU had no right to remove it. Couple of other incidents spring to mind such a dry stone walls and latex!! In fact most of your heated arguments on here come across as a self appointed policeman on how and what should be done in caching.

:unsure::D:o:D:rolleyes:

Haggis Hunter, not acts of cache policing, but an acts of common sense.

The cache on the motorway bridge could have caused a serious accident on a motorway if it was knocked from the bridge onto a vehicle; somewhat different from someone's pet hate of caches which are temporary disabled for longer than they like. I'd rather remove a cache ASAP, in that situation and take the flack for that, than have someone injured through ignorance of the possible danger.

As for the drystone wall, I was not policing this issue; I was defending a cachers placement of a cache which was claimed to be in a drystone wall, which was actually a mortared wall, the person who reported it was the cache police in that instance.

As you have done neither of these two caches, how can you have the knowledge to pass judgement on either!

Latex allergies are also an issue and can be life threatening See here, so again not policing but passing on useful information to people who are unaware of the seriousness of latex items placed in caches.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bait the Trolls hahahahaha you make me laugh with your name and shame website Shame on you Web Rat!

Moote you are such a hypocrite!! The above comment refers back to you making accusations over people being self appointed cache policemen, yet you have done this yourself on several occasions, only the other day you admitted to being a self appointed cache policeman, here's a reminder to your policing technique. Just because YOU thought it was dangerous doesn't mean it actually was and YOU had no right to remove it. Couple of other incidents spring to mind such a dry stone walls and latex!! In fact most of your heated arguments on here come across as a self appointed policeman on how and what should be done in caching.

The cache on the motorway bridge could have caused a serious accident on a motorway if it was knocked from the bridge onto a vehicle; somewhat different from someone's pet hate of caches which are temporary disabled for longer than they like. I'd rather remove a cache ASAP, in that situation and take the flack for that, than have someone injured through ignorance of the possible danger.

As for the drystone wall, I was not policing this issue; I was defending a cachers placement of a cache which was claimed to be in a drystone wall, which was actually a mortared wall, the person who reported it was the cache police in that instance.

As you have done neither of these two caches, how can you have the knowledge to pass judgement on either!

Latex allergies are also an issue and can be life threatening See here, so again not policing but passing on useful information to people who are unaware of the seriousness of latex items placed in caches.

Taken from this post from the afore mentioned thread - You are going to get bricks thrown at you, Nah Nah Nah Nah!!!! :P:P:P

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

Taken from this post from the afore mentioned thread - You are going to get bricks thrown at you, Nah Nah Nah Nah!!!! :P:P:P

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

Oh I'm shaking in fear!

Edited by Moote