Appropriate Cache item

Fiver1

I make small crosses out of horseshoe nails as gifts for family and friends. These are hand cut and tig welded with a jump ring so they can be hung on a necklace, bracelet, or keychain. Question is, would it be appropriate to leave these as trade (give away) items in caches? These are not intended to be a religious statement. I just enjoy making them and am willing to share my hand work with other geocachers. I would tag them simply as being handmade by me.

I make small crosses out of horseshoe nails as gifts for family and friends. These are hand cut and tig welded with a jump ring so they can be hung on a necklace, bracelet, or keychain. Question is, would it be appropriate to leave these as trade (give away) items in caches? These are not intended to be a religious statement. I just enjoy making them and am willing to share my hand work with other geocachers. I would tag them simply as being handmade by me.

Yep, totally appropriate, in fact highly desirable. Put them in a bag with a note and make them your signature item. Cachers would probably seek them out. I know I would.

since i've taken one of the hardest lines in this forum about the inappropriate nature of items intending to proselytize, i feel i should tell you that i don't think this is a problem.

don't kid yourself: religious jewelry is a religious statement.

since you are simply leaving it there as a representation of yourself without making commentary on the state of other people, to me it would not just be acceptable, but desirable.

additionally, handmade items are very desirable to collectors, and i'd snap one of those puppies up in a heartbeat.

I'm not of that particular religious persuasion, but I wouldn't be offended, I just wouldn't take it. It would be perfectly appropriate especially as a sig item representing yourself.

A religious tract that informed me that I was damned to an eternity of hellfire would not be appropriate. Yes, I have seen those in caches.

Edited by Mom-n-Andy

If you made it, we would probably take it, or maybe even leave it for the next cacher, as they might also like it. It's a matter of taste, not necessarily a matter of symbolism. Doesn't matter what religion or belief that it "could" represent.

We commend you for taking the time and making the effort to be creative and artistic, then sharing it with us. :laughing:

They sound wonderful!

The guidelines for religious agendas only really apply to the cache and the cache page. Swag with a bit of a religious theme isn't against the guidelines.

If you were tossing those Christian comic books into every cache, people might get annoyed, but even isn't against the guidelines.

Go for it.

Some people will complain about your pieces but some people complain about ...

Hot wheels

McToys

Experienced Golf Balls

Nice polished rocks

CD's

Brand new socks

money (no, seriously!)

Seashells

Anything that has anything to do with glass

bouncy balls

etc.

...left in caches as SWAG

I say if you like making them and want to put them in caches, go for it!

I also agree that small plastic bags make signature items seem more collectable.

A religious tract that informed me that I was damned to an eternity of hellfire would not be appropriate. Yes, I have seen those in caches.

So if I left a item that said you will go to the pits of fire and brimstone to watch reruns of baywatch nights to the end of eternity for the rest of days if you dont convert to the "First reformed church of the enlightend reborn sole's of the previosly damned fans of 90210" would not be appropriate?????LOL

:laughing::P:P:):D:blink:;):P:D

Okey Dokey, here's the plan. I really like the idea of making these a signature item and am going to do that. Just a matter of getting some more made when the weather warms up. (Anything below 65 is just too darn cold for this native Floridian.) :laughing: I also need to get the card made up that I will insert in the plastic bag. I look forward to comments from the geocachers that find them.

As far as someone being offended by this item, can't help that. I can't be responsible for what someone might read into something. As I stated, this is not a religious pump. The significance to me is that it is something that I made and am willing to share and give something back to the geocaching community that has provided me with many hours of enjoyment.

I hope to start putting these out in the Lakeland, Fla. area within the next month or so. And, when I get my TB tags ordered and received, I think I'll let one go as a travel bug with hopes that it will make it to Wales in the UK as that is where I've traced my family name. I'll add to this thread when I actually release some.

My hope is that whoever ends up with one gets as much enjoyment out of it as I did making it.

Thanks to all for the constructive comments.

Back to your original question, Get them into circulation!. That sounds like a super cool trade item that would be much appreciated as swag by most people, kids and adults included. To offend someone?, sure.. someone may take offense, but that isnt a concern at all in my opinion. If you make it up into western SD, I would be honored to have a few dropped in any of my caches.

On that same note, I planted "The Answer Is - GC23X9Z" , and I may catch some flack about it because of being at the entrance to a Bible Ranch, but that is OK.

Happy Caching!!.

I totally agree that it would not be highly desirable... but seeing your from Florida, I find it very unlikely I would find one in Oregon :laughing: I would be so pleased to find a hand crafted item in a cache which I sometimes do, almost better than finding a TB or coin!!

I guessed I missed something. Please explain the "not highly desirable" statement in your post. Do you mean my idea presents something less than desirable? I wouldn't want to put out anything that was not good. Thanks.

I am not religious at all but would find no offense if I found something like this in a cache as a signature item. The only way I think it would be crossing a line is if you were to add a passage or religious quote with it. The item itself however sounds like a perfect signature item, it represents you as it is something handmade, and that is exactly what a signature item should be!

I finally placed this cache and it has been published. I started out with a couple of the crosses, but I'm sure they won't be there long. The cache is GC24CFK. Check it out.

I've got a trip to Brandon coming up next week. If my CRS doesn't actively engage, I'll pop in and check it out. I'd love to trade one of my handmade Geocaching keychains for one of your crosses.