Memory Map on iPhone

There are 3 ways to get the OS maps on the iPhone that I've found apart from this new version from Memory Map.

One from OutDoors which gets poor write ups because they don't seem to interact with the GPS so you can store tracks and waypoints. As for cost, they are cheaper than the paper maps as the areas are quite large.

The other one is Route Buddy Atlas. I actually bought two regions to try it. They allow the GPS to work but I found the map went slightly out of focus when you zoomed in to the max. I contacted Route Buddy but they didn't have an answer. Cost was about £8 for each Landranger 1:50K region which is again comparable to the paper maps. I wasn't impressed with them.

These two allow you you to store the maps locally on the iPhone.

The last one is a freebie iOSMaps which reads the maps directly from the server so needs a good data connection (3G or they are really slow!). They are actually the best in terms of quality because you get from road map to street map through 1:50K and 1:25K scales. But... no connection, no maps.

I'll go and read up on the MM version now!! I'll let you know my thoughts.

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

Having researched it a bit more it would seem that as I use "old" style maps with my version of Memory Map (5.1.3) on the PC and PDA I will have to upgrade them for £200 plus another £20 for the app. So it's £220 to look at the data I already have, I can't see me doing that thank you very much!!

I guess it's all due to the iniquitous licensing system used by the Ordnance Survey which being a monopoly Quango can get away with charging what they like.

I guess it's all due to the iniquitous licensing system used by the Ordnance Survey which being a monopoly Quango can get away with charging what they like.

Alternatively - it could be due to the development costs associated with having to rejig an already successful mobile app to suit an incredibly vocal minority group such as iphone users????

iphone users tend to forget that although they might love their phones, they are still a small minority in terms of mobile internet useage, handheld GPS useage, and phone useage - and although Apple might, the World does NOT owe them an application for every occassion..... :D

Sorry keehotee you misunderstood. My complaint was having to pay £200 to replace my existing set of maps on the PC for an equivalent set just so I could use the newer version of the Memory Map software. I've already laid out a lot of money for my existing maps and all I'd like to do is to use the same data but with a newer version of the software. That's not possible due to OS licensing.

Sorry keehotee you misunderstood. My complaint was having to pay £200 to replace my existing set of maps on the PC for an equivalent set just so I could use the newer version of the Memory Map software. I've already laid out a lot of money for my existing maps and all I'd like to do is to use the same data but with a newer version of the software. That's not possible due to OS licensing.

I can't say I blame him for the misunderstanding - your first post was talking about using the maps on the iPhone, and if you don't want to do that, why do you need to upgrade anyway?

Besides, the GPS on the iPhone is so horrendously bad that frankly it's not worth using for caching at all. Before anyone gets upset and accuses me of not knowing what I'm talking about, yes, I do have an iPhone 3GS, and I've done extensive comparative tests between that and all my other GPSrs (which include an eTrex HCx, an Oregon 550t, an Asus P750, an Acer X960 and several others). The iPhone is massively worse than even the worst of the others (the Oregon).

Of course, I'm not saying it is impossible ever to find a cache using it, but to someone who is used to decent quality GPS receivers it was a profoundly unsatisfactory experience.

Indeed, the iPhone turned out to be so bad at so many things that it never occurred to me it would be bad at before I bought it, that I have reverted to using my Win Mobile phone and am now in the process of deciding what to do with an expensive white elephant.

Rgds, Andy

I'm with both Keehotee and Amberel on their points about the iPhone.

I have to say, Apple rip off people in the way they market and sell the iPhone. Build cost is around £40 to purchase £400.

I think these days if you add an "i" to your product you can make a fortune; that is why I'll be selling iPancakes tonight.

Apologies again for causing confusion at my thoughts about having to fork out another £200 for maps if I wanted to use the iPhone app, even though I have already got a slightly older set for the PC. I also happen to think that having to pay £20 for the app alone, when the Windows Mobile version is free is a bit stiff.

I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear I had two moans to express :D

As for the accuracy problem, it's irrelevant to me as I use a "proper" bluetooth GPS with my Jailbroken iPod touch and that give excellent accuracy. I was interested in the iPhone Memory Map app for my iPod, not for the iPhone itself as I don't have one. However, the point is moot as I can't afford another set of maps. :D

New version released from Memory Map and it's FREE..... comes with 400sqKm of free 1:50k and 1:25K maps.... I've registered with MM with a new account via the iPhone. Looks good! Maps appear to be cached on the phone. You can buy more maps as needed.

Chris (MrB)

I have recently installed the free version on my iPod touch and purchased 25000 km2 of 1:50k which for me has covered most of northern England from the Lake district across to Sunderland and down as far as the Peak district. Also much of Cornwall and Devon. Total cost was £12.50. (also the OS road map and a route planning map of the whole of UK comes free) I have then added 2 pocket query files of 500 caches each to it and one route of the coast to coast cycle way.

All works brilliantly. Yes they are cached on the iPod/iPhone

Anquet Maps are about to release their new APP for iPhone and as I have most of UK 1;50k already puchased I'm waiting to see what that is like before I decide whether to stay with Anquet or continue to buy further maps from Memory Map.

Terry

Edited by terencem

You can use your older v4 maps with the new Memory Map software. Forgetting for the moment any issues you have with the iPhone and that app, I'm talking about the windows software just now. Memory Map have started a new licensing system with their software as there was a lot of piracy when it cam to the OS maps on their earlier software. That said though, you can use your old maps if you purchase the license that allows the use of 'external maps'. Check on 'Help - License Information - Import 3rd Party Maps'. It currently costs £25.54 to upgrade the license from 'Discoverer to 'Navigator', which will then allow the use of your old maps.

On the paid version of the iPhone app, you can also use your older maps without having to purchase new maps, although the direct link to the digital map shop is good if you need a map in a hurry. The process to upload your exists map files to the iPhone is well documented but requires the use of a shared Wifi connection. I have uploaded and used 2 Explorer maps to the iPhone app and they work ok, and the app is still being refined so I expect it will get better.

The Windows mobile app wasn't free as far as I can remember, your Memory Map license had to cover its use. Thats why there were free and paid versions of the Memory Map software on Windows. Once you registered the software and paid for a license, the copy to PDA functionality (along with some other feature like printing a map), were unlocked. However, this system was cracked and the details published on the net. Anyone with a mind to look for it, could find it and unlock these features for free.

Edited by Boidy

New version released from Memory Map and it's FREE..... comes with 400sqKm of free 1:50k and 1:25K maps.... I've registered with MM with a new account via the iPhone. Looks good! Maps appear to be cached on the phone. You can buy more maps as needed.

Chris (MrB)

I have recently installed the free version on my iPod touch and purchased 25000 km2 of 1:50k which for me has covered most of northern England from the Lake district across to Sunderland and down as far as the Peak district. Also much of Cornwall and Devon. Total cost was £12.50. (also the OS road map and a route planning map of the whole of UK comes free) I have then added 2 pocket query files of 500 caches each to it and one route of the coast to coast cycle way.

All works brilliantly. Yes they are cached on the iPod/iPhone

Anquet Maps are about to release their new APP for iPhone and as I have most of UK 1;50k already puchased I'm waiting to see what that is like before I decide whether to stay with Anquet or continue to buy further maps from Memory Map.

Terry

The difference between the free and paid version of the app include the ability to use your existing maps, if they are in QCT format. So you may be able to use your existing 1:50k maps on the iPhone if you were to pay for the app. I could test it for you if you have a sample of the Anquet map?

I have purchased the (paid for) MemoryMap program this morning, and uploaded some of my exisiting MM OS maps to it.

Some mixed feelings - lots of quite nice things, but it seems not to be able to display any cache information or logs from a GPX file (other than just the location). As it doesn't integrate with a CacheMate equivalent on the iPhone this is a bit of a nuisance. It does link to the main cache page on Groundspeak, but that relies on your having a good connection, which is most certainly not always the case when I'm caching. And it seems not to lock the location; all too easy to inadvertently drag it to a different location.

But I've only played with it for a couple of minutes so far.

Rgds, Andy

I have purchased the (paid for) MemoryMap program this morning, and uploaded some of my exisiting MM OS maps to it.

Some mixed feelings - lots of quite nice things, but it seems not to be able to display any cache information or logs from a GPX file (other than just the location). As it doesn't integrate with a CacheMate equivalent on the iPhone this is a bit of a nuisance. It does link to the main cache page on Groundspeak, but that relies on your having a good connection, which is most certainly not always the case when I'm caching. And it seems not to lock the location; all too easy to inadvertently drag it to a different location.

But I've only played with it for a couple of minutes so far.

Rgds, Andy

interesting news andy - were they v4 or v5 maps you uploaded?

Dave

interesting news andy - were they v4 or v5 maps you uploaded?
V5. The upload is a bit of a pain, it runs a web server and you use a browser to upload over http. You must have a wireless lan connection. You can only do one map at a time.

But it's not really their fault, this method only necessary because of the deliberate crippling of the iPhone's capability by Apple's licensing terms.

Rgds, Andy

I've uploaded a few v4 maps to mine. Like Andy says, its a bit of a pain, but it is possible. I use it in conjunction with Groundspeaks own app, which does cache the data if you want it to, so you don't need connection when out and about, as long as you know where you're going before you head out.

I've uploaded a few v4 maps to mine. Like Andy says, its a bit of a pain, but it is possible. I use it in conjunction with Groundspeaks own app, which does cache the data if you want it to, so you don't need connection when out and about, as long as you know where you're going before you head out.

How do you use them together? Is there a better way than having to completely exit from MemoryMap, start up the GC app, then close down the GC app and start up MemoryMap again?

I did play with it when out caching on Saturday. It did wander about badly when under trees, but was usable for navigating between caches, but it wasn't any use when I got close to a cache. And just once I tried linking to the GC site from MemoryMap, but it was so painfully slow that it really is a non-starter unless you are in a good mobile reception area, which mostly I'm not.

But it's not far off being OK, provided they address the right bits. I've contacted them with my "wishlist". Top of the list is displaying the cache and log data that is already in the GPX file on the machine. Next is a better display of bearing/distance - currently there is no contrasting background, so if it displays on top of black text on the map, the bearing/distance can be totally illegible. It's a bit TOO easy to add new waypoints and to move old ones. And it needs an "always on" option.

Rgds, Andy

There are ways to have 2 apps running at the same time, but its not supported by anyone and invalidates any warranty you have on the iPhone. It also depends on which version of the iPhone you haveas to whether its possible. It isn't currently possible ont the newer 3GS models.

That said, I wasn't running the apps at the same time, I just switch between them. I used the GC app to get the GC description and the cut and paste the co-ordinates of the cache into a marker in Memory Map. I haven't had any problems so far with the accuracy of the iPhone GPS, but I've only ever really used it in a very open spaces, or in the car.