Member only caches

Irishwaves

Let me give an analogy. Say that you joined some other sports club and you won some trophies. Would you consider it fair if they took away your trophies when your subscription ran out? IMO, that's exactly what happens with GC IMO. All those smilies on the map disappear and you can no longer access the cache pages.

Geoff

Let me expand on that if I may.

If you won the trophy as a member of a club, that trophy may well be on display in the clubs trophy cabinet. So what happens when you stop paying your membership subscription to the club? Are the trophies still in the cabinet?

I think we all know the answer to this!

It's just a game, stop taking it so seriously. And if it worries you so much just pay the relatively small amount Groundspeak as for a subscription. You can even pay for just one month for the occasional visit to admire your trophies.

Let me give an analogy. Say that you joined some other sports club and you won some trophies. Would you consider it fair if they took away your trophies when your subscription ran out? IMO, that's exactly what happens with GC IMO. All those smilies on the map disappear and you can no longer access the cache pages.

I can agree to disagree on this... it seems to be where we're headed.

I would just offer up an alternative analogy. If you had a good job and bought some expensive golf club, but having lost your job were unable to continue to pay your golf club membership fees, is it unfair that you are no longer allowed to play golf there?

I would just offer up an alternative analogy. If you had a good job and bought some expensive golf club, but having lost your job were unable to continue to pay your golf club membership fees, is it unfair that you are no longer allowed to play golf there?

No, but it would be unfair if they took away your scorecards, which IMO is what's happening at GS!

That said, I accept my views are minority, that this discussion is now going round in circles, and that what I'd like to happen probably won't any time soon.

Geoff

No, but it would be unfair if they took away your scorecards, which IMO is what's happening at GS!

That said, I accept my views are minority, that this discussion is now going round in circles, and that what I'd like to happen probably won't any time soon.

Geoff

You're scorecard as you describe it is kept in tact, regardless of what happens to the cache after you have logged it. My daughter Cheeky Abs, has logged several PMO caches, but she isn't a PM. All I do is ask the owner for permission and then use the back door for her to log her finds, and her scorecard notches up that extra smilie.

You're scorecard as you describe it is kept in tact, regardless of what happens to the cache after you have logged it. My daughter Cheeky Abs, has logged several PMO caches, but she isn't a PM. All I do is ask the owner for permission and then use the back door for her to log her finds, and her scorecard notches up that extra smilie.

It's reflected in the total found, but you can't see that smiley on the map.

Anyway, enough! I suspect that HazelS might have alluded to this discussion in her "fed up" thread. So I'm going to agree to disagree and move on. I certainly meant no offence and I'm sorry if my POV has upset anyone.

Geoff

Anyway, enough! I suspect that HazelS might have alluded to this discussion in her "fed up" thread. So I'm going to agree to disagree and move on. I certainly meant no offence and I'm sorry if my POV has upset anyone.

Geoff

I can't help but have a smile on my face at reading your comment, 'my bold'. Archived caches don't show up on the map either, so there isn't much difference. For example, 21% (399 finds) of my found caches won't show up on a map, unless I use My Finds PQ to put them there, but then you have to be a PM to use that feature. :o

HH now goes away to make a brew chuckling away to himself. :unsure::D

Geoff

No offense taken by me... so as you say let's move on and do something useful... like finding some tupperware!

Geoff

No offense taken by me... so as you say let's move on and do something useful... like finding some tupperware!

Having duly considered all the arguments, I still agree with Pajaholic on this. :rolleyes:

Why do we say "Tupperware" ? In all my finds I've never seen any! I've found ammo cans, 35mm film canisters, bubble gum containers, pill bottles, ice cream tubs, many lock 'n lock sandwich boxes, dog tags, tiny magnetic things, and some other unidentifiable items - but not one item of Tupperware! Am I doing something wrong? :huh:

Edited by Border Caz

Why do we say "Tupperware" ? In all my finds I've never seen any! I've found ammo cans, 35mm film canisters, bubble gum containers, pill bottles, ice cream tubs, many lock 'n lock sandwich boxes, dog tags, tiny magnetic things, and some other unidentifiable items - but not one item of Tupperware! Am I doing something wrong? :rolleyes:

What were the sandwich boxes made out of? :huh:

Do they still make Tupperware? Even in my kitchen I cant remember seeing any true Tupperware since the eighties ...

Edit: A quick google search answered my own question: Yes they do. www.tupperware.co.uk

All arty farty and fancy these days though! They even still have tupperware parties, now there's a blast from the past!

Edited by airdefenderuk

The sandwich boxes I've found have been lock 'n lock, click-lock, clip-loc or whatever you like to call them - definately NOT Tupperware which was of far superior quality and lasts for years. I still use a lot of proper Tupperware in my kitchen that my Mum bought in the 60s, and it still works just as well as it did 50 years ago when it was new.

I don't reckon the cliploc things will last that long, quite a few of the ones I find already have the clips missing.

I suppose Tupperware is just too expensive to leave lying around in the woods.

I bought a bag of assorted Tupperware in a charity shop a year ago.. to be honest I think it very much relies on cachers pushing the lids down quite hard to give it it's seal.. where as the Lock and Lock type boxes are much easier to close properly.

Some of the earlier Tupperware is now quite collectible.. The orange coloured stuff with like a corrugated lid is worth considerably more than a new Lock and Lock box... the stuff from the 50s and 60s being much sought after.

That all said and done, I always say "I'm off out Tupperware hunting"...

The sandwich boxes I've found have been lock 'n lock, click-lock, clip-loc or whatever you like to call them - definately NOT Tupperware which was of far superior quality and lasts for years. I still use a lot of proper Tupperware in my kitchen that my Mum bought in the 60s, and it still works just as well as it did 50 years ago when it was new.

I don't reckon the cliploc things will last that long, quite a few of the ones I find already have the clips missing.

I suppose Tupperware is just too expensive to leave lying around in the woods.

FWIW, Mrs P used to be a Tupperware agent. Then agents had to buy the entire range to be able to demonstrate the stuff at Tupperware parties, so we have a few tea-chests of it in the attic and half a cupboardful of Tupperware that we use. I reckon that most of the Tupperware we've got is over 30 years old and pretty much in the same condition as the day it arrived. By contrast, supermarket food containers are of very low quality.

Even though we have lots of Tupperware about the place I don't think I could bring myself to leave it in the woods. As you say, it's just too expensive; but the main reason is that there's a "trick" you have to use to ensure that Tupperware is airtight and watertight. Even if you know how to do it properly, the chances are that your finders won't, so something more foolproof is required IMO.

Thankfully, I got a good deal a few months ago on half and third litre genuine Lock&Lock Premium containers, which is what I've put out so far. In contrast, I got a couple of half-litre "Klick-lock" (Morrison's own brand) containers and you can really feel and see the difference between those and genuine Lock&Lock. So the Morrison's boxes will only go out if I can't get another batch of genuine Lock&Lock.

Geoff

(edited to correct typo)

Edited by Pajaholic

Geoff

Having duly considered all the arguments, I still agree with Pajaholic on this. <_<

So I hope you and I can also agree to disagree and move on to finding Tupperware in the forest :unsure:

Why do we say "Tupperware" ? In all my finds I've never seen any! I've found ammo cans, 35mm film canisters, bubble gum containers, pill bottles, ice cream tubs, many lock 'n lock sandwich boxes, dog tags, tiny magnetic things, and some other unidentifiable items - but not one item of Tupperware! Am I doing something wrong? :huh:

It's a generic term... the same way some people refer to running the hoover even if it was made by Dyson.

If I might cross-thread to the question about when you cease to be a newbie, perhaps it's when you find your first Tupperware cache.

Even though we have lots of Tupperware about the place I don't think I could bring myself to leave it in the woods. As you say, it's just too expensive; but the main reason is that there's a "trick" you have to use to ensure that Tupperware is airtight and watertight. Even if you know how to do it properly, the chances are that your finders won't, so something more foolproof is required IMO.

Is that the Tupperware far... (Ooops forum might not let me use that word!) Tupperware burp?

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Is that the Tupperware far... (Ooops forum might not let me use that word!) Tupperware burp?

That's the one!

For those who don't know, the trick is to close the box then press down on the lid while lifting one corner. Some air escapes with a "burp". Then while still pressing down on the lid, you re-close the corner. The air pressure inside the container is now slightly less than the outside pressure, which forces the lid into better contact, which makes for a better seal. Genuine Tupperware can maintain that seal for weeks if not months. Although "supermarket" food containers are nowhere as good IME, some can maintain an airtight seal for a few days - so it's worthwhile doing. That said, Lock&Lock is foolproof and has a really good seal without needing to do anything other than closing the lid properly and ensuring that nothing's trapped in the seal.

Geoff

Yes that's right.

I too was once (for a very short time in the early 80s) a Tupperware lady. That's how I know the difference between real Tupperware and imitation plastic boxes. :lol:

I've got a lot of the orange and yellow stuff with corrugated lids - did someone say it's worth a lot of money now? E-bay here I come ........................... :)

You don't need to go out and buy a GPS unit to start caching. The friend who introduced me to it started by using his Sat nav - and I did, and still do, the same.

Another friend, who actually took me to my first finds, was on over 120 finds before they acquired a GPS - they were using maps which they already had, google earth, and cache descriptions.

As someone said previously, the cost of premium membership may not be much to some - but to someone on basic benefits it is a third of their weekly income. They may not smoke, drink, or run a car - in fact they probably don't as they can't afford such luxuries after their basic needs of accomodation, clothing and food are met - so the comparison to the cost of fuel is irrelevant.

It was 160 caches - and for the first few trips after having one I still used my way and Mr Bacas had the GPS - and I got there first lol - except for one, which we would never have atempted without, being quite deep in woodland

GPS'd now and Prem member ... oh yes I am addicted .... happy to cache 24/7 - rain, snow, sleet and shine - bring 'um on

Congrats on your 200+ finds

Yes that's right.

I too was once (for a very short time in the early 80s) a Tupperware lady. That's how I know the difference between real Tupperware and imitation plastic boxes. :lol:

I've got a lot of the orange and yellow stuff with corrugated lids - did someone say it's worth a lot of money now? E-bay here I come ........................... :)

Hiya

Have you one to fit the cake container - mine split a couple of weeks back lol

Should have spares somewhere, but can't find stuff after the refurb ggrrrrrrr

Someone mentioned about travel bugs, and how it might be unfair to place them in premium member only caches, as they would be deemed to have fewer visitors.

Being a premium member only cache is just one aspect, but a premium member only cache launched 2 weeks ago and is a nice easy cache and dash near a big city is more likely to have more visitors over the next month than a cache available to all hidden in the middle of a National Park and over 3 miles away from the nearest parking and been there for 5 years.

The first cache would have been visited by the local FTF mafia, and due to be visited by other premium members once they pass that way, but the 2nd cache would have already been visited by most local cachers who fancy a long walk, and it may get a trickle of visits from the odd tourist every few months.

I am afraid to say anything more on the forum in case I start any more ‘discussions’.

You have tailored the travel bug context to suit your argument.

What if the TB is in a spot away from the normal traffic?

Then the opposite is true.

Can I just make it clear that if people want or need to make their caches PMO then that is %100 their right, I have no problem with that at all.

I was simply pointing out that the TB ‘may’ not get moved as quickly and if it where my bug I would be a little disappointed that it wasn’t moving.

Thanks for all the replies

There are a lot of Premium Members around. We pay to get the PQ's, in the main, not to go for caches that are Subscriber only.

Once you let a TB out of your hands, you don't get too much say on how fast or slow it goes.

In the Winter months they could well travel slower any way, as there are cachers that don't do caching in the wet (Me! :blink: )

This thread has been a good ‘discussion’ and shouldn't stop you posting again. :D

edit:speelin

Edited by Bear and Ragged