I'm Shocked...

eagsc7

That there's not a Geocaching Event for the Olympic Games in Vancouver. Of course, I REALLY wished that I was there to see all the fun and excitement around the games, but life took that opportunity away from us.

Good luck to All of those that compete this year in the 2010 Olympics!

The Steaks

That there's not a Geocaching Event for the Olympic Games in Vancouver. Of course, I REALLY wished that I was there to see all the fun and excitement around the games, but life took that opportunity away from us.

The Steaks

Umm, does this count? GC22P8Y

I also know that VANOC security people asked cachers to disable caches near the venues as a security concern. There was a bomb scare the day before they started - it tuned out to be an "innocuous household item" no word about it being a geocache.

The Steaks

Umm, does this count? GC22P8Y

I also know that VANOC security people asked cachers to disable caches near the venues as a security concern. There was a bomb scare the day before they started - it tuned out to be an "innocuous household item" no word about it being a geocache.

I read that... then re read the quote... yep, good place to "meat each other"... especially Steaks :laughing:

There was one B/S that was reported as being a 'fishing rod' in a tubular container... close but no cache.

Think that was at the quay in N. Van.

Liked the way the BCGA made contact with Security way in advance.. educate and take proactive stance

BEFORE anything happened.

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

That is good! I was just suprised to not see one on the Opening or Closing days..(before or after) I checked a few days between, but htis one missed my eyes... Go figure.

Have Fun!

The Steaks

P.S. Good on them to notify security, but I'd NOT disable caches, but rather have someone that is "on call" to check potential bomb scares for Geocache locations. Of course, it'd have to be someone that knows the local area AND has found Most(if not all) of them in the area...

That is good! I was just suprised to not see one on the Opening or Closing days..(before or after) I checked a few days between, but htis one missed my eyes... Go figure.

Have Fun!

The Steaks

P.S. Good on them to notify security, but I'd NOT disable caches, but rather have someone that is "on call" to check potential bomb scares for Geocache locations. Of course, it'd have to be someone that knows the local area AND has found Most(if not all) of them in the area...

Did you go to the BCGA website .

The story is there... Message from the ISU and others.

The whole idea was to temporarily remove anything larger than micros to avoid 'scares' entirely, since they were going to be cleaned out if found anyway. The other side was to avoid people trying to find ANY caches for a few weeks. Only applies to the venues and close by. The BCGA provided information on what they were, where they were etc. and the Security made the strong suggestion of how they would make their choices.. On the whole, it was a great interface...

result was the fishing rod case was detonated NOT a cache. Since all the security people were educated, they will eventually take that knowledge back with them hopefully when they return to their units after the games. Did you know that at least some Police/Fire Games have Geocaching Challenges as events... that doesn't hurt either... They don't chase public caches, but their own temporary ones... I can't imagine that a few of the entrants don't do some of the Geocaching sites for practice or entertainment... All good.

Anyway, it was a great response from both sides like I said, and shouldn't hurt the game at all...

Most caches want Winter maintenance anyway...

Doug

Edited by 7rxc