550 stuck in demo mode

sweetlife

No maps installed on the 550 have removed the SD card, no selections on the satellite page and when i plug in the USB to computer I dont get the mass storage mode, only shows that the unit is plugged in

You don't get mass storage mode --> Your 550 doesn't show up on your computer as a drive? Sounds hopeless, call Garmin.

But, first you may want to try running the WebUpdater again just in case it will detect your 550.

If it does show up as a drive, and you want to downgrade, go here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions

Read the GCD downgrade instructions part way down the page and follow them being sure you've removed the removable memory.

Did you buy this GPS at a local store, or Online?

when I was looking at this thread, I figured you probably ended up with a Demo model, and not a regular GPS.

What type of store was it, and did you buy the one that was on display, that had to be boxed up?

You may need to exchange the GPS at the store, or call up Garmin on Monday.

I have heard of Garmin producing Demo Only units in the past for Display Only, and not for sale.

GPS did work for a full day, played the demo Wherigo cartridge, loaded in a PQ, everything was working fine, was inside the house looking at some of the cache info and the map pages, and unit restarted by itself, and wamo its stuck in demo mode.

purchased the unit off of amazon.com the serial numbers on the box and unit match

web updater did not recognize the unit as it will not go into mass storage mode.

Guess ill call garmin on monday morning. Still have my backup GPS72 to get my caching fix with.

Thanks for all the help and ideas so far

Barry

@g-o-cashers

How can you say that this update is for x50 Oregon?

Can you confirm that 450 and 550 uses same firmware?

There are no new firmware listed at Garmin for the 450, so for me this looks like firmware update for the 550 and not 450.

I believe the Oregon 450 and 550 have the same firmware

Here is the download page for the 450.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloads...5&pID=63349

Edited by Great Scott!