Geocaching alone?

luvfrog74

I end up caching a lot alone, wife gets into it about 20% of the time.

When I do go out, I find that if I spend more time worrying about the people around me I look a lot more suspicious then not, causing more attention to me. If I find the container in a common area, I will take the container and go find a bench or seat to sit down and look through it. People don't tend to watch much if you are in the open. Try and look through it while IN the bushes and people will wonder what you are doing.

With regards to the comment about carry a big stick or a gun... I prefer a big dog. He is more of a deterrent then actual protection. Also a great distraction if you need to go looking around in the bushes, or even just looking under or around stuff. People just think you are petting or playing with your dog.

Use common sense when caching, and if at any time you don't feel comfortable, just move on. You can always come back later and check on it if you really want to.

We don't have a dog but I agree that he could be some excellent protection!

I think that he would probably hide behind me if someone did actually attack (Never had to test this, thank goodness), but they would probably be detoured by the growling and sight of a 60 lb dog by my side. <_<

Also dogs are a lot more aware of little sounds if there is something moving around you that we may miss.

I am usually out there caching alone since I don't have any friends that like to hike. Occasionally I can get my mom to go out with me. As for concerns, I usually don't cache in town since I would prefer a wilderness setting, but when I do, I usually go out early in the morning when not too many people are out (in a town that I am familiar with) and I use my bag to cover up what I'm doing. It's also a good cover to pretend to be taking pictures. When I go out in the wilderness I am pretty much really more paranoid about being attacked by wild animals, like cougars than people. I've taken some women's self-defense and judo classes, so I feel pretty confident. But, it is still nerve racking for a girl going out on her own. I may buy a gun with blanks, a big knife or a hand bull-horn in the future. I may lean more towards the horn since really loud sounds may scare away creatures as well as call for help if I'm hurt or lost.

I may buy a gun with blanks, a big knife...

Please please PLEASE don't do that. There are a lot of alternatives; bear spray comes immediately to mind for example. If you're fearful for your safety and want to carry a weapon, please get some training on proper use. There are places that offer knife training and many more places that offer firearms training if you're going to go that route. I have opinions on firearms and the carry thereof, based on 20 years of carrying one for my job in the AF, but they are out of the scope of this thread. I will, however, tell you straight up that carrying a gun with blanks is possibly one of the worst ideas you could have come up with.

In the words on Nolenator, peace.

We don't have a dog but I agree that he could be some excellent protection!

I think that he would probably hide behind me if someone did actually attack (Never had to test this, thank goodness), but they would probably be detoured by the growling and sight of a 60 lb dog by my side. :P

Also dogs are a lot more aware of little sounds if there is something moving around you that we may miss.

Not my dog. She'll bark at the aggressor, then hide behind me and bark again. Uhhh... thanks?

I do the vast majority of my caching alone. I absolutely love to run out the door for a FTF at 1 am but I have left GZ several times when I've heard questionable noises in the woods. Most of the time those noises are accompanied by flashes of light with the woods "30 more feet!" but when there is no light, and no voices and lots of noise I BAIL!

In fact one time my best friend and I were out doing a 2 am FTF run in the woods, and he has a 20lb dog he brought with. We all heard a noise and the normally fearless dog whimpered and ran under his legs. We got out of there REAL quick.

I think the best thing to do is be aware of your surroundings. I recently purchased handgun and will be getting a concealed permit soon. At which point it will always be with me on nighttime FTF runs. And like everyone else said; the last thing I would ever want to do is have to draw it. I would much rather be aware, and leave before that need arises.

Happy hunting everyone!

Today I had an experience I just have to share here. I went to a cache in Sumner, WA (Is The White River Really White?) earlier this afternoon and for those who haven't been there, it's right behind the Sumner library, along the Puyallup River. I went down to GZ and noticed there was a guy in his mid-twenties about 15 feet away from the cache. He kindly introduced himself and started up a conversation. I wont give all the details, but I was put in a very dangerous situation because I was by myself. It turns out he is a registered sex offender (I only know this because he gave me his phone number on a "scratch" piece of paper- his court documents)

I seem to get caught up thinking I'm invincible and can get out of bad situations, but I'm realizing that being a young-twenties female is just asking for danger.

Definitely investing in some heavy-duty pepper spray ASAP!

I cached alone today for the first time. It wasn't as fun as caching with the hubby and kidlets, but I don't think they are as into it as I am. We just signed up recently and are still learning what it's all about. I'm loving it so far. Anybody in Eugene want to go caching with me?

And BTW - what the heck does "TNLNSL" mean?

Also - I'm editing this to add that all this talk of cachers walking around with guns and other weapons is creepy.

Edited by Rock_The_Cachebah

Also - I'm editing this to add that all this talk of cachers walking around with guns and other weapons is creepy.

I am always armed. I have a CWP, I grew up around guns, I have had 7 years of millitary training on various wepons. I have more Training and more expiriance than Some Police officers. Education and experience is the only way to over come a fear of guns. I am sick of hearing generalizations that every one who wants to have a gun on them is a wacko that wants to do harm to others. I am creeped out and baffeled of why someone doesn't have a gun and propper training to have the ability and knowlage to protect them and their family.

I usually cached on my own either on my bicycle or on foot. There are various objects on the bike say as the pump which could be used for self defence. When I am walking in the County side I used a walking pole which could be an effective weapon. I will not cache in certain areas of London after dark but I have never had any problems but then I am male but in England we do not carry fire arms .

I will be carefull next time I am caching in the USA as I did not realise how many people carried fir arms!

I usually cache alone now that I "lost" my caching partner (no, not out in the woods)

I used to carry a stun-gun (before it broke) and will soon get another one.

They will knock someone out but not kill them. It won't even hurt your assailant if they have a pacemaker.

the two things I like about it are:

1. if someone were to take it away from me and use it on me it would not kill me

2. In self-defense classes they say the first line of defense is in your posture and attitude that you show to the world. If I see someone who worries me, I turn my walk into a very self-assured swagger, hold my head up high, and look them in the eye with a look that says, "Yeah, just try it. I'd love to kick the s**t out of someone today."

when I carry the stun-gun this is easier to pull off because I have a back-up plan.

I have used that posture and look many times with guys who look threatening and have actually been advancing toward me. They have all turned and walked the other way. I still like having a back-up plan though.

(anyone in the seattle area looking for a caching buddy?)

2. In self-defense classes they say the first line of defense is in your posture and attitude that you show to the world. If I see someone who worries me, I turn my walk into a very self-assured swagger, hold my head up high, and look them in the eye with a look that says, "Yeah, just try it. I'd love to kick the s**t out of someone today."

when I carry the stun-gun this is easier to pull off because I have a back-up plan.

(anyone in the seattle area looking for a caching buddy?)

Haha I love that! :) I am looking for a caching buddy, (hence my last post) I'm in Auburn.

My wife used to have a stun got I bought for her. It was a joke. Once I had two friends sit here and zap each other to see how long they could take it. It was irritating and that's about it. After a few seconds he couldn't stand it anymore. It was enough time to continue to attack the person though.

Obviously it was a lower voltage unit. (I think it was 160,000 - 300,000 volts) Get at least a couple million volt unit. You want a unit that cracks when it goes off. Cracks so loud it demands your attention.

Applying for my CCW permit and buying a gun next week. I'm doing way too much solo traveling and middle of the night caching, bound to catch up with me at some point. I also kind of think about it like this; if I'm not prepared, it will happen, if I am prepared, it will "never" happen. So yeah, better safe than sorry.

Applying for my CCW permit and buying a gun next week. I'm doing way too much solo traveling and middle of the night caching, bound to catch up with me at some point. I also kind of think about it like this; if I'm not prepared, it will happen, if I am prepared, it will "never" happen. So yeah, better safe than sorry.

Note to self: Keep clear of Dustin on AHOTMs and CMs.

Edited by hydnsek

My wife and I both have permits. I lost 3 tendons attached to my right rotocuff so I am limited to a Walther P22and a S&W model 17 light weight (only weighs 11 oz) Only once Have I put my hand on it when a band of dogs decided we were in their territory. Turned out they were more chicken than i was. I waved my walking stick and run towards them. They took off. Not sure what I would have done if they took after me. I prefer carrying the double action revolver. Very sjmple to operate.

Edited by W7WT

But a Glock 23 is such a fine piece of combat gear.. I drool thinking about owning one to carry.. God help the bad guy on the other end because that's who he'll be talking to.

The Glock G20SF (10mm) makes a good hiking/trail handgun. Lightweight, 15 rounds, 10mm power, what's not to love?

9b903579-2a6e-42da-a8aa-5b8d0f6f5577.jpg

I usually do most of my caching alone. If you act like you're supposed to be there, people will believe it and won't question what youre doing.

I was down in Walla Walla this last weekend, looking for a 5/1 on a bridge over a creek with a friend. We were both hanging over the rails, laying on our sides to squint into cracks, and generally looking strange, when a gentleman walked across the bridge. We smiled and said howdy, he smiled and said G'day, and everyone was happy.

I don't spend much time pawing through bushes next to grade schools (well, one time, but I had my 3-year old with me), and I've never had someone question what I was doing.

oooohhh....Now we're into my area of expertise!

I am currently -----> <------ Close to becoming a reserve police officer in Troutdale.

I am VERY well trained in use of force/handgun laws, as well as trained very wel in the ability to enforce self defense, not only with a pistol, but with my hands as well. First off, if a gun scares you, You would be freaked with me. I carry much more than a hammer in my batbelt. Usually I have on me (at ALL TIMES) my kel tec p-11 9mm pistol, a quick shot of pepperspray, a sling baton, and a knife.

There is a saying that if the only thing in your toolbelt is a hammer, all your problems begin to look like nails. If you ever run across me at a cache, I will have most of that on me any given time.

Am I paranoid? Am I scared? Am I worried about mine and my families safety? HELL YES I AM! If you aren't worried about your safety, you ned to take another look around. Do a ride along with a police officer, where even in a small town there are rapes, murders, breaking and entering, assaults, ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE. You are not invincible, you can easily have someone come up to you and threaten you with a knife for your wallet because someone is having a hard time in this economy...

Usually just pulling a gun will work. I have had to pull it once, If I did not pull it, I would have been hospitalized in the best case scenario.

Get protection....GET TRAINING WITH THAT PROTECTION....and after you get the training get more training, then don't stop training. Take your safety seriously, you only get one shot at this life.

---------------------------------------------------

As for the question. I usually cache alone 75% of the time. I don't know any serious cachers that can join me on Mondays for a fun day of caching.....Although I would LOVE to get together with some people.....I am forced to go alone!

Just wondering how many of you cache alone? Do you have any tips or concerns? Especially in town & urban areas... I find it harder to be stealthy & feel like I stick out like a sore thumb when I have tried going alone. Any thoughts?? :)

I agree with totomlake if you dont feel good itll ruin it

But a Glock 23 is such a fine piece of combat gear.. I drool thinking about owning one to carry.. God help the bad guy on the other end because that's who he'll be talking to.

The Glock G20SF (10mm) makes a good hiking/trail handgun. Lightweight, 15 rounds, 10mm power, what's not to love?

9b903579-2a6e-42da-a8aa-5b8d0f6f5577.jpg

nice glock.. I'm a big fan of doubletap ammo

I see one clip has hollow point rounds, and the other hardcast.. the former for two legged varmints and the latter for four legged ones?