Geocaching alone?

luvfrog74

I generally go alone and there have been some times where I wish I was better prepared, especially when creepy dudes walk up behind you without saying anything. I'm 5'10, 200+ and I was still nervous.

I still get weirded out going after FTF's after dark in the woods, but good for the heart I suppose, haha. Whenever I get really freaked out, stop, assess the situation and generally think, if my time is now, it's my time and then continue tromping through the woods.

Walk softly and carry a big stick, or a handgun, whichever you prefer.

A container is a good weapon in a pinch, but it depends on the cache you find. If its an ammo can, a whack on the head with it will stop a creepy from doing you harm. If its a micro, well then you're out of luck. :D

Another reason I don't like micros. Thank Navigatorz.

A container is a good weapon in a pinch, but it depends on the cache you find. If its an ammo can, a whack on the head with it will stop a creepy from doing you harm. If its a micro, well then you're out of luck. :D

You can use the micro as a distraction, if you throw it, or try to stick it in their eye, then run!

Edited by Dwoodford

You can use the micro as a distraction, if you throw it, or try to stick it in their eye, then run!

No worries from me about personal protection... I am not scared to use my 'Pink Lady' 38 Special if I need too :D I guess it's just a comfort factor... Like I said, I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb especially looking for caches in town. I don't want to give muggles a reason to look around where I was if I were seen & ruin a good cache at my expense.

I really love going geocaching & know I would feel so much more comfortable with someone else & my hubby just doesn't enjoy it as much as I do :D So far, I haven't got anyone in my inner circle of friends too excited about it but know that some would really enjoy it if they gave it the chance... but maybe not?? I don't know... I just know that there are quite a few I'd love to go for, like a good way to spend my lunch hour, but so far I just lurk but maybe someday I will just say the heck with it and venture out on my own... only time will tell :D

Was out grabbing some caches this evening while it was raining. Nothing like being in the "woods" and thinking every noise is something, lol. And when I said woods, I just mean a nature trail through a housing development. So yeah, I was freaking myself out, but pretty sure I'm the only idiot walking down this trail in the middle of the night on a monday evening...

I prefer to geocache with others as more of a share the experience type thing, but usually its just me and my dog. Nice thing about the dog (where she's allowed anyways) is it's always a good excuse why we're off the trail poking around in the bushes or walking in circles downtown <_<

Most of my time caching is done alone although I sometimes go with a group of other cachers and have three or four times gone out on a cache run with a friend. I enjoy both but I find that when I cache alone I am able to go at my own pace (usually much faster than others) and look for caches in a way that best suits my style.

I used to be a huge FTF hound and would go out on a cache run at night to get those but that is a rare occurance anymore. Thats not because I am uncomfortable caching at night. I prefer to find caches when I go out and find that much more difficult to do at night time vs. during the day. I don't have a concealed weapons permit and I don't carry a gun (or a big stick for that matter) and although I have been uncomfortable in certain locations before there hasn't been a time when I wished I had some sort of weapon while caching.

Grossi once told me that she often caches wearing a dress because it draws less suspicion. You know, I tried that and it just didn't seem to work for me. Not to say that muggles did leave me alone but they did seem to stare alot! <_<

To me the big difference in caching alone or with friends is when it involves isolated or high rated terrian caches. It provides two completely different experiences. With friends it is a rich experience of sharing a common landscape and the rigors of crossing it. But when done alone, well, for me it is often a strange mix of physical testing and spiritual awareness.

I prefer the handgun...

me too. Specially after stumbling on to a homeless person sleeping in the trees behind a hotel.

So you needed a gun as you intruded into someone elses "home".

That must be why burglars need to carry guns too, just in case they are confronted by an occupant of the residence in which they are intruding.

I prefer the handgun...

me too. Specially after stumbling on to a homeless person sleeping in the trees behind a hotel.

That must be why burglars need to carry guns too, just in case they are confronted by an occupant of the residence in which they are intruding.

I didn't know the woods were someones home that you could intrude on :D , And you never know what they could be on.. So yes I prefer my handguns also.... :D

I prefer the handgun...

I thought the key word was "HOMELESS"

And I carry a gun because when seconds count the understaffed, underfunded police are minutes away being over worked.

I prefer the handgun...

I thought the key word was "HOMELESS"

And I carry a gun because when seconds count the understaffed, underfunded police are minutes away being over worked.

And Homeless=criminal=dangerous=get-ready-to-fight-for-your-life? I'm more afraid of the guy running around with an itchy trigger finger.

BTW, have you ever noticed how seldom police pull their guns in real life?

And Homeless=criminal=dangerous=get-ready-to-fight-for-your-life? I'm more afraid of the guy running around with an itchy trigger finger.

This is a misnomer. People wrongfully assume that those who carry a handgun for protection are itching to use it. You carry a spare tire with you wherever you drive so does that mean you are anxious to get a flat?

BTW, have you ever noticed how seldom police pull their guns in real life?

But they still carry them.

This is a misnomer. People wrongfully assume that those who carry a handgun for protection are itching to use it. You carry a spare tire with you wherever you drive so does that mean you are anxious to get a flat?

I keep it tucked away where it's a "pain" to get to, so I'm careful so I won't need it. I get nervous around people who say things like:

Personally, if I carried a gun I'd hope never to have to draw it - just like the cops. But unlike the cops, I don't put myself in situations where that need comes up - at least not in the last half century or so (nor do I expect to in the next part of life either). And walking solo in the woods is not a time where I feel I need a handgun.

I go out after many FTFs in in our area that usually translates to between 11 pm - 3 am I will always carry a weapon when out that late no matter where I am. I hope I never have to pull it but I will if I am in what I feel is a life threatening position, if I am ever in that position I would rather have a gun then not.

Scubasonic

Discussions like this always brings to mind a bit from Robert Heinlein's "Tunnel In The Sky"-

I know how good a gun feels. It makes you bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, three meters tall and covered in hair. You're ready for anything and kind of hoping you'll find it. Which is exactly what is dangerous about it -- because you aren't anything of the sort. You are a feeble, hairless embryo, remarkably easy to kill."

It's not for everyone. Another saying that I have noticed is people saying that they have never felt a need for it and have always felt safe. Just because you feel safe doesn't mean you are. There is nowhere where you are safe.

I take my responsibility of protecting my family seriously. That DOESN'T mean that I think I am a cowboy. The first line is to stay away from trouble. If it doesn't feel right, get out of there!

I will always do everything in my power to avoid pulling my weapon, and use every means possible to remove myself or my family from the situation, but in the end if I or my family is faced with a "Life Threatening situation" we can not avoid I will pull it, and I will use it.

Scubasonic

I will always do everything in my power to avoid pulling my weapon, and use every means possible to remove myself or my family from the situation, but in the end if I or my family is faced with a "Life Threatening situation" we can not avoid I will pull it, and I will use it.

Scubasonic

You see! We agree on at least one thing! :):laughing:

I take my responsibility of protecting my family seriously.

So does that mean that those that have a family and don't carry a handgun (while caching or otherwise) don't take the resposibility of protecting their family seriously?

Not necessarily. Different strokes for different folks. Some don't care at all. They are blissfully unaware of the world around them. Just a few years ago I was like that. I intentionally avoided the news and we didn't lock our doors at night. Others care a lot. Handguns have nothing to do with it.

I keep it tucked away where it's a "pain" to get to, so I'm careful so I won't need it.

so do you keep your fire extinguisher in your attic.

I get nervous around people who say things like:

Personally, if I carried a gun I'd hope never to have to draw it - just like the cops. But unlike the cops, I don't put myself in situations where that need comes up - at least not in the last half century or so (nor do I expect to in the next part of life either). And walking solo in the woods is not a time where I feel I need a handgun.

Didn't the grizzly man(Timothy Treadwell), Steve Erwin, Dian Fossey, think the samething

Edited by Titus1919

I take my responsibility of protecting my family seriously.

So does that mean that those that have a family and don't carry a handgun (while caching or otherwise) don't take the resposibility of protecting their family seriously?

Not necessarily. Different strokes for different folks. Some don't care at all. They are blissfully unaware of the world around them. Just a few years ago I was like that. I intentionally avoided the news and we didn't lock our doors at night. Others care a lot. Handguns have nothing to do with it.

Many years ago when I was 20 and my sister was 21 she and her boyfriend were killed by a Serial Killer in our area, and it was at that point that I realized that "Life Comes at you Fast" and you need to be prepared or AWARE if you will, we found both of thm dead on Thanksgiving Day when they did not show up at the family event. Before that I would see the news about murders, and read about it and never thought that this would ever happen to me or anyone I knew, I was so wrong. Since then I realize that you need to be prepared.

Scubasonic

Didn't the grizzly man(Timothy Treadwell), Steve Erwin, Dian Fossey, think the samething

I don't camp around grizzly bears, expecting them to be cuddly. I expect wild animals to be wild.

I don't handle/capture wildlife on film. And if I did, I'd accept the risks that go with such activities (like I do with my rock climbing).

And I don't have a weapon with me/near me that can be turned against me as happened to Dian.

And if I did, I'd accept the risks that go with such activities (like I do with my rock climbing).

But with the risk of Rock climbing you take necessary gear to protect you from falling while climbing correct ? what is the difference between your preparedness and mine, when I am caching in a unfamiliar area?

Scubasonic

One option for less than lethal protection is pepper spray. Or for carrying with your concealed weapon for times when you could use a non-lethal response. Anyways a good company to buy pepper spray from is Defense Devices. Only reason I'm listing a company is that it is super hard to find reputable places to buy this stuff and good luck on the Boston Leather. I did a lot of research and you can't go wrong with Fox Labs or Sabre. I've got the 2oz Cop Top Fox and a Boston Leather clip holster. It's a little large for every day use but could probable hose down a group of people. I'll probably get a smaller size pretty soon soon as I don't conceal carry right now but still want some defense. I'd like to get a easy to conceal pistol(small) but my budget doesn't allow for it right now. After packing my pepper spray I know I won't stick with concealed carry unless the pistol is pretty small. I also carry my Spyderco Tenacious in my back pocket as a back up to the pepper spray. Nice solid piece of razor sharp steel.

And if I did, I'd accept the risks that go with such activities (like I do with my rock climbing).

But with the risk of Rock climbing you take necessary gear to protect you from falling while climbing correct ? what is the difference between your preparedness and mine, when I am caching in a unfamiliar area?

Scubasonic

My protection doesn't hurt/kill others (unless I land on them :blink: but then that's not the protection's fault). Also, the dangers of rock climbing are explicit, danger from other people/animals are subjective/unknown.

Edited by The Jester
I'd accept the risks that go with such activities (like I do with my rock climbing).

Do you use protection when rock climbing or do you just hope you don't fall? I would assume that you use some sort of fall protection. If so then it would seem that you would do what you can to try to minimize the risks.

Scubasonic

My protection doesn't hurt/kill others

Neither does mine unless they are trying to hurt/kill me or my family

SS

I'd accept the risks that go with such activities (like I do with my rock climbing).

Do you use protection when rock climbing or do you just hope you don't fall? I would assume that you use some sort of fall protection. If so then it would seem that you would do what you can to try to minimize the risks.

See my reply just above your post.

And I don't have a weapon with me/near me that can be turned against me as happened to Dian.

Good for you

SS

:lol::D But you do... ? :lol: Whatever.

At 6'4" and 240 with training in Hand to Hand combat, and the use of a weapon I'll take that chance, my guess you have no training accept in a fast prayer when your life is in danger......good luck with that :D;):D

Scubasonic