Geocachers in Google street view

Stone'5

Have you ever seen a geocacher seeking or logging a cache in Google maps street view? I know there're lots of funny material in that service, but geocachers are not so often busted at the GZ.

Here's one shot from Denmark. They are the only cachers I've seen in the street view.

And please don't post links to cachers at the final stages of mystery/puzzle/multi caches :)

Edited by Stone'5
  • Upvote 1

Yeap, blue tupperware and yellow Garmin. BUSTED!!!!! By the ultimate muggle! :)

geo1.gif

Haha, this is great. But i'm confused about the book he has - that can't fit in the tuppeware so it's not a log book. Is the book where he wrote down the cache info? Probably so, right, because that's an etrex if I'm not mistaken and is consequently not paperless.

Yeap, blue tupperware and yellow Garmin. BUSTED!!!!! By the ultimate muggle! :)

geo1.gif

Haha, this is great. But i'm confused about the book he has - that can't fit in the tuppeware so it's not a log book. Is the book where he wrote down the cache info? Probably so, right, because that's an etrex if I'm not mistaken and is consequently not paperless.

Or the blue container is his lunch, the book is a chart book, and he's planning his boat trip. They're on a dock with boats in the background.

GCR4M5 (Link) Cache In Question.

Closer look at the container.

43f65f487b454b38a509fc6x.jpg

We used to use a notebook for additional cache information when we were out. Not too much of a stretch to think he was also. Now we use the ipod or Palm.

Rats! You beat me to it. I was just coming here to post that. :)

Given that they let themselves get caught on Googlecam while signing the log, I think it is self-evident that they are noobs, and noobs often carry notebooks for additional cache information when they are out. <ducking!!> :laughing:

That is amazing, Stone'5. How did you manage to stumble onto that, anyway?

There is an older thread here somewhere that challenged people to find a Google Street-View that showed a cache. I think this far exceeds that challenge!

..what if we go geocaching in costume?

norwe.jpg

I think the best part of this one is how far they follow them down the street. If you scroll through street view they were waiting in those lawn chairs. Did they get advance notice the car was coming today? Or is that just how people hang out in those parts. They chase the car quite a ways down the street considering they're both wearing flippers.

I have done a lot of looking, but so far no joy. I found a geocacher looking dude near GZ with a backpack, but can't tell if he is caching or not. I posted to my local forum, and no one id him, so who knows.

Someone should make a challange cache where you need to find a google street view or satalitte view of a cacher (or cache). That may increase the find rate.

In one of my mystery caches you have to use Street View to find the information you need to compose the final coordinates. When you go on this 'trip' through London , you come across this :

Stuck?

It isn't a geocacher, but I tought it was funny...

Stuck.jpg

I can't tell exactly what it is you're looking for but from I distance it appears that there is a guy taking a leak on an ATM machine.

When the Google Street vehicle vehicle was in our town awhile back one of my coworkers ran into them earlier in the day but he didn't know what route they'd be taking. Awhile back I posted a link to a page which showed "walking routes" where they had mapped out sidewalks and paths on campus. I forget what the URL was though.

Have you ever seen a geocacher seeking or logging a cache in Google maps street view? I know there're lots of funny material in that service, but geocachers are not so often busted at the GZ.

And please don't post links to cachers at the final stages of mystery/puzzle/multi caches ;)

Today I was noticing what appear to be new streetview images for our area... never saw any before... of here I mean... they appear to be last green season (spring, summer or fall)... anyway I looked to see what could be seen of the location of one I sort of look after and maintain... and lo and behold...

I'm not sure it is or is not, but from watching cachers who were looking... I'd say this is close to it.

If it is, they are not even close ha ha.. don't recognize anyone either... BTW it's a small micro on the Worlds Biggest Truck (tandem axle dump specifically) magnetic of course...

WBTcaught.jpg

On the same route I was checking, what are the odds of this photo... or do they roam in pairs?

whatabout%20this.jpg

Doug

Imagery in StreetView, like aerial and satellite imagery in Maps and Earth, changes over time. If you build a puzzle around those images, try to make it immune to breaking when it does.

As for roaming in pairs, it might be useful to enhance imagery capture or as part of a training exercise, but the simplest answer is that multiple drivers covering an area probably stay in the same hotel or meet up for lunch and such and just end up capturing each other.

Imagery in StreetView, like aerial and satellite imagery in Maps and Earth, changes over time. If you build a puzzle around those images, try to make it immune to breaking when it does.

As for roaming in pairs, it might be useful to enhance imagery capture or as part of a training exercise, but the simplest answer is that multiple drivers covering an area probably stay in the same hotel or meet up for lunch and such and just end up capturing each other.

Or maybe they are working on Google StereoView in light of the success of Avatar 3D. OK... probably not.

Not sure where the puzzle part came from, but I would agree... [edit: Oh... that post... I thought it was related to mine... sorry... but I do agree.]

The WBT cache is puzzling to some, frustrating to others, and still annoyingly simple... I'm sure the latest logger would agree. But NOT a Puzzle at all in cache terms. I don't own it, just housekeep, replace when needed, and relate to the site owners to keep it in play. Same goes for the next nearest cache and a few others here. That's enough work for me.

But I'm plotting my entry into hiding when my life stabilizes a bit more... work first.

I used to use the ruler function in Google maps to measure things for puzzles... it used to be right there as an option to select... nope, you can get it back if you make up your 'own' map. I was pleased to find it was there still over on Google Earth.

As for self photos by other units... fair enough, I just thought it was interesting, I didn't know how many units were out there... apparently lots, or they were doing BC (at that time) prior to the Olympics.

I'm glad to see it done... I won't post a pic I found today similarly for some privacy issues... found a known cache (visible in pic if you know where, the owners of the cache, and their home, and a project in progress)... again not on topic exactly.

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

Or maybe they are working on Google StereoView in light of the success of Avatar 3D. OK... probably not.

Would be cute if another company was doing the same route at the same time... are there any?

That would really be improbable.

Doug

Would be cute if another company was doing the same route at the same time... are there any?

That would really be improbable.

Doug

Well, who Microsoft mightMicrosoftthat Microsoft be, do you suppose?Microsoft
But i'm confused about the book he has - that can't fit in the tuppeware so it's not a log book. Is the book where he wrote down the cache info?

Could be cache information or could be his journal. Some of us carry a journal of all of our activities.

Unlike the online logs, we keep our personal thoughts of a cache in there. Probably don't want to read it if you're a cache owner and don't want to know how we really feel about your cache. It also has puzzle solutions, puzzle ideas, possible future cache locations, etc.

And going back to the original street view pic, whats happening in the first floor window, approx 180 degrees from the original view.
2nd window on the red building?

Looks like a naked midget

That, or a dressmakers mannequin.

Great cache container idea! :unsure:

Yes the peachy coloured dress is evident... mid arm sleeves and ribbon belted waist... could be a mannequin, BUT... look at the 'straight' back and the 90 degree arm on the left and matching elbow on right..

could be playing a piano, perhaps at a lesson? Just a guess... me I'm going back to read that lunch menu at 90 to the cachers... across the street.

edit: next image over it doesn't look complete torso... you are likely right.... there are other things in the background that make clothes horse seem correct.

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

I really don't think they'll make a second round along the same route as long as there are new roads to cover.

And by the time they do, my cache has already served it's purpose and can be retired...

Oh... that post... I thought it was related to mine... sorry... but I do agree.

Sorry to disturb your forum...

norwe.jpg

I think the best part of this one is how far they follow them down the street. If you scroll through street view they were waiting in those lawn chairs. Did they get advance notice the car was coming today? Or is that just how people hang out in those parts. They chase the car quite a ways down the street considering they're both wearing flippers.

They are from the Norwegian city Bergen. Norewgian newspapers made a case out of it, and it turns out they knew the guy driving the google-car. They had been waiting for about 20 minutes before he showed up <_<

norwe.jpg

You should see me after or at a renaissance faire!.

2995.jpg

I've actually gone hunting for a cache in full armor. Just, forgot to bring the camera.

(Hey! Muggles can be very violent. I need all the protection I can get!)

Edited by gelfling6

when the google car came down our road i remember saying to the neighbour I was talking to at that moment "Oh the google car" then I had to explain to her what that was,

Lo and behold when I looked a few months later at street view there we both are leaning over the garden wall laughing at something and my lovely (now deceased) border collie is also in the pic lying in our front garden.

Edited by ayrbrain