When is a find really a find?

DuckanaJones

This is a bit of an etiquette question. The first time we cached, we were with my daughter and her fiance. We did 2 caches and this is what introduced us to the game. We then bought our GPS and off we went. Can we log the first two we did with my daughter as finds without going there again? It would seem to take a bit of the fun away to just rotely go there and pull them out to write on the log without really hunting for them. But then it seems sad to never log them just because you haven't searched for them. what would be the accepted protocol here? :lol: Secondly, while I was at work and parked for a break, I knew of a cache in the vicinity, and actually scoped out the area. This was a micro in a lamp post type hide. I saw the container through a gap in the cover, but there were so many other people around and I was running out of time for breaks and had to leave. Can I consider this a find or not? Many people say on other posts about doing things your own way as you feel comfortable doing, but if there is an unwritten rule about things, I'd rather play the game right and not change it to suit me. :o Your thoughts please.

For the first two caches I would log and say that I found them with xxxxx cacher. Go back and sign the logs if you feel like it as there is nothing wrong with visiting a cache more than once.

For the one you saw but did not retrieve, for me that would not be a find. If I can't retrieve the cache and sign the log for any reason I do not log a find. Sometimes there are simply too many muggles and I will return at a quiter time.

Welcome to the game and have fun. :lol:

Most of us prefer to claim a find when the cache was retrieved and the logbook signed. If this happened before you had signed up as a gc.com member or even owned a gps, most cache owners are cool with you claiming a find. Just give a brief explanation. We're always glad to see a new member join the game.

Not being able to retrieve a cache and have the opportunity to sign the logbook is not considered a find. Even if you were able to see the container. Getting close is not enough.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The first two, log 'found with aaa and bbb' and backdate the log to the actual found date.

The other... If I did not have the cache in my flippers, and sign the log (or add a piece of paper with my signature if the log were too wet to sign), I would not log it as a find. I would log that as a DNF. Find cache. Sign log. Log on-line. Get smiley.

The first two, log 'found with aaa and bbb' and backdate the log to the actual found date.

The other... If I did not have the cache in my flippers, and sign the log (or add a piece of paper with my signature if the log were too wet to sign), I would not log it as a find. I would log that as a DNF. Find cache. Sign log. Log on-line. Get smiley.

Thanks for the thoughts, they were what I was thinking was right, but it's good to here it from the those who have been there before. If your gonna play a game, do it right and be happy, or cheat and know your a knob.

This game is so fun, and a great way spend spare time.

This is a bit of an etiquette question. The first time we cached, we were with my daughter and her fiance. We did 2 caches and this is what introduced us to the game. We then bought our GPS and off we went. Can we log the first two we did with my daughter as finds without going there again? It would seem to take a bit of the fun away to just rotely go there and pull them out to write on the log without really hunting for them. But then it seems sad to never log them just because you haven't searched for them. what would be the accepted protocol here? :lol:

I would log them as found (on the same day as your daughter logged them) and explain in your log that you didn't have an account at the time, but that you found it with your daughter. I doubt an owner would take issue with this, but for future reference I wouldn't log a find unless your writing utensil touches the log and creates your username on the paper.

Secondly, while I was at work and parked for a break, I knew of a cache in the vicinity, and actually scoped out the area. This was a micro in a lamp post type hide. I saw the container through a gap in the cover, but there were so many other people around and I was running out of time for breaks and had to leave. Can I consider this a find or not? Many people say on other posts about doing things your own way as you feel comfortable doing, but if there is an unwritten rule about things, I'd rather play the game right and not change it to suit me. :o Your thoughts please.

That is not a find because you never signed the log. If you do not sign the log inside the cache, the cache owner has every right to delete your find, because your find log would be bogus.

This is a bit of an etiquette question. The first time we cached, we were with my daughter and her fiance. We did 2 caches and this is what introduced us to the game. We then bought our GPS and off we went. Can we log the first two we did with my daughter as finds without going there again? It would seem to take a bit of the fun away to just rotely go there and pull them out to write on the log without really hunting for them. But then it seems sad to never log them just because you haven't searched for them. what would be the accepted protocol here? :) Secondly, while I was at work and parked for a break, I knew of a cache in the vicinity, and actually scoped out the area. This was a micro in a lamp post type hide. I saw the container through a gap in the cover, but there were so many other people around and I was running out of time for breaks and had to leave. Can I consider this a find or not? Many people say on other posts about doing things your own way as you feel comfortable doing, but if there is an unwritten rule about things, I'd rather play the game right and not change it to suit me. :laughing: Your thoughts please.

It makes me happy i joined a group with people that have the courtesy to ask how to play and get great help and not blown off. I have left other groups and communities for the lack of involvement for fostering new users/players. So cudos to Duck for asking And also to all who have helped