2010 Techno Event 1,2,3

Happy Hunters SA

17 April 2010

15 May 2010

19 June 2010

Will be published soon..

This event has limited seating (20) for those who want to come and join us between 13:00 and 17:00 to learn more from a technology perspective. Because of the limited seating we have scheduled 3 days (1 per month) for this Techno Event. If you would like to join us, please post your attendance early for the individual events as seating is on a "first come first served" basis.

It would be beneficial for you, if you have one, to bring your own laptop / Macbook with 3G connection to be able to experiment there and then with your newfound skills and knowledge. If there are specific topics you would like us to cover and they are feasible, then we will try and accommodate them into the curriculum. Please keep an eye out on the forum for updates and discussions as to what additional topics are going to be covered.

The purpose of the event:

- How to use GSAK, its Stats, and some spreadsheets;

- Sending data to Cell phones as well as Gps devices;

- Paperless caching on the Nuvi;

- And if there’s time some SQLite queries.

Refreshments will be provided during breaks in the afternoon for those attending the technology sessions.

However, should you want to come just to meet up with everybody and renew caching friendships, discover some new coins or just enjoy a sundowner, braai fires will be available from 17:00 onwards. Please bring along your own "dop & chop".

Great idea.

Hopefully the likes of Danie Viljoen, Jors, DamHuisClan etc. can also be used to add to topics like:

* website design

* cache page enhancements with HTML (and other more fancy programs)

* Stats manipulation

* EarthCache placement

* Paperless on Oregon/iphone

* Garmin / Tomtom / other brands comparison etc.

* Making your own geocoin

Great idea.

Hopefully the likes of Danie Viljoen, Jors, DamHuisClan etc. can also be used to add to topics like:

* website design

* cache page enhancements with HTML (and other more fancy programs)

* Stats manipulation

* EarthCache placement

* Paperless on Oregon/iphone

* Garmin / Tomtom / other brands comparison etc.

* Making your own geocoin

Hi Grant

Yes all those topics will be covered in due course.

We would like everyone to start with the topics that we mentioned. And then continue onto more advanced applications.

We Have asked Anton from DamhuisClan if he would be able to make some of the events, as well as Danie Viljoen and Jors. If they are not able to be at every event, hopefully we will have at least one at these events to share their considerable knowledge.

Part of the object of these initial sessions is to test the waters to see whether there is sufficient interest for events such as these to susain an ongoing education program. Some of the topics mentioned above would require more than one session if we were to do them justice. Depending on the subscription and the logistics of the initial events it will determine the future direction. We may well be able to accomodate more than 20 at a sitting but I don't want to commit to it before the first event at least. If people find the sessions beneficial and want more and if the venue proves satisfactory, then I can't see any reason why this should not be a regular occurrance.

I am happy to do a little presentation on

1) Basic Html Mark-up, to spruce up web pages / personal pages on GC.com.

2) I can show a little of GSAK,

2a) how to get all queries for SA,

2b) Load multiple GPX files all at one time,

3c) How to plan a holiday / holiday route using GSAK.

This sounds brilliant! Would love to attend all the talks, but my time is limited with the kids. Not sure if my sister would cope with too many babysitting sessions!! :)

Rolf has offered to do a talk on the following:

- How NOT to use GSAK ( :P:P:laughing: ) (because he really doesn't like it)

- How to use Google Earth to plan a route for caching (but I'm sure everyone knows how to do that!) :)

Jokes aside, I'm sure when we've attended the Techno Event, you'll be able to convert Rolf to using and liking GSAK! I still need to learn from scratch, so my feelings are neutral towards it!

I am happy to do a little presentation on ....

I am sure we shall all learn a great deal from you. Thank you for "volunteering" or being volunteered!

Based on your suggestions and the others submitted from other cachers I am detecting that there a need and a desire to learn more. If that is the case, I trust that these sessions will go some way to meet your needs.

We did a Techno Cache down in Cape Town last year which was successful. I gave a short talk on paperless caching for the Nuvi.

I did say I would write it up and make it available - which I did not - bad me!!!

Hopefully your events will produce some outputs - even if they are are consolidated bunch of links to instructions.

These caches are a great idea because sometimes when you read up on the net and see a list with 30 points to carry out it can be quite intimidating when in reality the procedure is not as complicated as it seems.

Trev

We did a Techno Cache down in Cape Town last year which was successful. I gave a short talk on paperless caching for the Nuvi.

I did say I would write it up and make it available - which I did not - bad me!!!

Hopefully your events will produce some outputs - even if they are are consolidated bunch of links to instructions.

These caches are a great idea because sometimes when you read up on the net and see a list with 30 points to carry out it can be quite intimidating when in reality the procedure is not as complicated as it seems.

Trev

Thats a good point Trevor

We need to get someone to take notes so that we can post it somewhere for all to see. Some people who might be interested might just be too far away to attend.

Noted and will make a plan to see what we can do about it

Ok, so the Microfest is behind me and I am beginning to catch up on some sleep. That means I must kick up a gear with this one.

Please forward your suggestions as to what the most pressing issues are that you would like to be covered in this first session. From chatting to people at the various events, I gather there would be quite a few different tracks to follow. Initially I would like to tackle those with the widest interest. For example, I was told on Saturday that one can log all your finds offline on GSAK and bulk upload them later when you are online. I did not know that, but maybe I am the only one who does not know it and if it were then to be a topic to be covered everybody else would be bored except me.

I would like to finalise the curriculum fairly quickly to give whoever is going to present the material time to structure it properly.

At this point in time it is looking positive that there will be network points available for easy file transfer as well as WiFi to do pocket queries or update your GC profile in real time. So if you have a laptop / Macbook that you can bring, it would be beneficial.

Bruce, I have a 48 Port Switch if you want to use it.

I will am happy to present some stuff as well along the following lines:

1) How to get the whole SA down in 9 Pocket queries.

2) How to update GSAK with all pocket queries in one simple step.

3) How to plan a holiday trip.

4) How to make names on Garmin more meaningful.

At the end I can also demo the beginnings of my geocoin program. I was hoping to release an alpha version at the event to a few people, but it looks like it wont be ready to a point where I can do that.

That is a great start. Taking into consideration there will be a tea break mid afternoon, will the material suggested suffice? If so then any time at the end can be used to plan the following two events and get ideas of topics to cover in those.

From a hardware perspective, I think I am ok. I have a 16 port switch plus a further four on the router. I have not unpacked anything yet but I am sure it will work once it is installed.

This event has limited seating (20) for those who want to come and join us between 13:00 and 17:00 to learn more from a technology perspective. Because of the limited seating we have scheduled 3 days (1 per month) for this Techno Event. If you would like to join us, please post your attendance early for the individual events as seating is on a "first come first served" basis.

It would be beneficial for you, if you have one, to bring your own laptop / Macbook with 3G connection to be able to experiment there and then with your newfound skills and knowledge. If there are specific topics you would like us to cover and they are feasible, then we will try and accommodate them into the curriculum. Please keep an eye out on the forum for updates and discussions as to what additional topics are going to be covered.

OTHER-MatrixCode_1024x768.jpg

- How to use GSAK, its Stats, and some spreadsheets; - Sending data to Cell phones as well as Gps devices; - Paperless caching on the Nuvi; - And if there’s time some SQLite queries.

Refreshments will be provided during breaks in the afternoon for those attending the technology sessions.

However, should you want to come just to meet up with everybody and renew caching friendships, discover some new coins or just enjoy a sundowner, braai fires will be available from 17:00 onwards. Please bring along your own "dop & chop".

For attendance and logistical purposes please state if you will attend the BYTE or BITE when logging your attendance

Edited by Happy Hunters SA

We're getting ready for the 2010 Techno Event 1

Saturday, April 17, 2010

13:00 and 17:00

A few things that would help in preparing for the event:

Anyone attending the event that has a laptop please bring it along, the lesson will be done in in real time. For the people that does not have a laptop you will be able to team up with another member to follow and make notes.

We will try to publish everything on a website for the people that are not close enough to attend the event.

Download version 7.7.0 (10.2mb)

This download can be found here

http://www.gsak.net

The venue will have full Internet access (wireless as well as wired ports) available. (Thank you Bruce!!)

The Intenary for the days lessons:

13:00 Gsak presented by Jors

(1) Macros (all the macros will be on a central database)

(2) Gsak settings

13:45 Tea/coffee break with some light snacks will be provided

14:00 Gsak presented by Jors

(3) Setting up Databases

(4) Running pocket Queries

14:45 Tea/coffee break with some light snacks will be provided

15:00 Sql lite presented by Anton (DamhuisClan)

(1) Using Sql lite ( Part 1 )

15:45 Tea/coffee break with some light snacks will be provided

16:00 A open forum on questions related to Geocaching

17:00 Finish the Technical part of the event

17:00 till late The partners and everyone that only wants to attend the event will be joining for a braai. Braai fires will be available from 17:00 onwards. Please bring along your own "dop & chop".

The SQLite portion will contain:

1) Basic syntax of SQLite, with some non geocahing examples.

2) How to export the GSAK database to SQLite using a custom Macro.

3) How to create some basic queries with SQLite using GSAK data.

Examples will include how to process some results in Excel or Open Office Calc.

I will bring my video Camera, and enough tapes for 4 hours.

I will then put all the video onto DVD.

As much of my time is limited (due to the coin program), I can give the DVD(s) to someone who can edit them (I can give them the software as well) and they can then create DVDs to add to caches. I am willing to assist if he/she/they get stuck.

Small portions could even be put onto YouTube.

I will bring my video Camera, and enough tapes for 4 hours.

I will then put all the video onto DVD.

As much of my time is limited (due to the coin program), I can give the DVD(s) to someone who can edit them (I can give them the software as well) and they can then create DVDs to add to caches. I am willing to assist if he/she/they get stuck.

Small portions could even be put onto YouTube.

Anton, that sounds like a lot of work! We can use our video camera which records straight onto a hard drive and Rolf says he thinks there is 14 hours left. Then he will be able to put it onto DVDs, etc. He also says that he is willing to look at your software, just in case it is better than what he has! :P

Anton, that sounds like a lot of work! We can use our video camera which records straight onto a hard drive and Rolf says he thinks there is 14 hours left. Then he will be able to put it onto DVDs, etc. He also says that he is willing to look at your software, just in case it is better than what he has! :P

Happiness!

I use an old version of Media studio (I think version 3). Ill bring it with on a memory stick. Still the best editing software around.

Happiness!

I use an old version of Media studio (I think version 3). Ill bring it with on a memory stick. Still the best editing software around.

Done deal...we'll record the info sessions.

Things are rapidly taking shape in preparation for next week. Thanks to my co-host CJ or assisting me today in installing the hardware for the ADSL, mounting the projector as well as laying the trunking and cabling for all the various network points. All we need now is for MWeb to come to the party by activating the line! If push comes to shove, we can resort back to using a 3G connection for the pocket queries and page updates.

I am looking forward to a great event that will not just be informative, but also a forum to meet other cachers and have a good time round the fire chatting to old friends.

See you there!

All ready for the event!! :P

Just a quick note for everyone attending or still wanting to attend the event. Everything is set up and ready for Saturday. You dont need a laptop to attend the event, there will be enough people with laptops with whom you can share.There is also the projector that you would be able to follow each screen shot of the relevant pages. Just make sure you bring a notepad to make some notes.

Hope to see you all there!! :D

Thank you for everyone that attended the Techno Event!!

Firstly I would like to thank Bruce for firstly offering his home to host the event. And as if that was not enough, to then ugpgrade the facility with wired and wireless internet ports for everyone attending the event. The projector made following all the instructions in real time very easy. What a great venue for all the future technical events!!

I would also like to thank Anton (Jors) and Anton (DamhuisClan) for sharing all your knowledge with the rest of the group, I am sure it was appreciated by everyone!

We hope to see everyone at the next event!!

Thank you to Bruce and CJ for an AWESOME event which both Rolf and I enjoyed very, very much! We also learnt a great deal, and enjoyed the chats and discussions. The eats inbetween dessions were delicious and everything was just so professionaly and well arranged. I'm sorry that I missed the cool videos that Damhuisclan showed at the braai - I would've enjoyed seeing those, as well as the braaing of marshmallows (Bruce we now know your weakness!). I had to leave early (5pm) to rush home in time to relieve my sister and her hubby who very kindly agreed to babysit our kiddies. I would've loved to have stayed on, but in a few years time when the kids can come along! Thank you to all the cachers who willingly shared their knowledge and experience. Guess what? We made use of GSAK today!! I helped Rolf a bit - it was fun! Thank you for everything! We look forward to the next event. :laughing:

2010 Techno Event 2 GC23VWR

- How to use GSAK, its Stats, and some spreadsheets; - Sending data to Cell phones as well as Gps devices; - Paperless caching on the Nuvi; - And if there’s time some SQLite queries.

For attendance and logistical purposes please state if you will attend the BYTE or BITE when logging your attendance

The program for the next event will be finalised in the next week!!

Watch this space

The Intenary for the days lessons:

13:00 Gsak presented by Anton (DamhuisClan) & Jors

(1) Macros (all the macros will be on a central database) (2) Gsak settings

14:00 Gsak presented by Anton (DamhuisClan) & Jors

(3) Setting up Databases (4) Running Pocket Queries

15:00 Caches presented by RedGlobe

Placement, camoflage etc

16:00 Sql lite presented by Danie Viljoen

(1)Using Sql lite ( Part 1 )

17:00 till late

The partners and everyone that only wants to attend the event will be joining for a braai. Braai fires will be available from17:00 onwards. Please bring along your own "dop & chop". <

What a nice event again!!

Where do we start!?! We would firstly like to thank Bruce for opening his doors for us to host the event! I am sure everyone would agree that the venue is ideal for such an event!! Also the eats, coffee and tea that Bruce provided was very welcome! I would also like to thank Anton (DamhuisClan) for presenting Gsak. Then to Pine (RedGlobe) for his informative talk about caches and placement of caches. And Danie (Danie Viljoen)who did all the preperation for his talk on SQL that we did not get to as we ran out of time. We hope you would do it on one of the other events!! And then to everyone that attended the event we want to thank you for the support! The braai afterwards was a nice social occasion, and I am sure everyone enjoyed all the videos that Anton (DamhuisClan) showed about Geocaching was enjoyed by everyone!

We hope to see everyone at the next techno event!!

With but a week to go before the next techno-event (GC23VWV) on 3 July, make sure you not only book your place but also give feedback on the previous events as well as topics you want covered this time round. Anton from Damhuisclan has made some suggestions as to what he could cover in the lectures but I am sure there are cachers out there with lots of unanswered questions. Here is your opportunity to ask them and thus benefit the rest of the community with the solutions. Post your questions on this thread or on your attendance log on the cache itself. ;)

There is an added benefit if you are coming from afar: there are a couple of new caches en route to find to boost your numbers for the day! B)

I look forward to seeing many of you on Saturday 3 July. :P

Bruce.

The Itinerary for the day's lessons:

13:00 Presented by Anton (DamhuisClan)

An add-on for Firefox (and now IE)

14:00 Presented by Anton (DamhuisClan)Some other greasemonkey add-ons for FireFox, to simplify / enhance the GC web site

15:00 Presented by Anton (DamhuisClan)

How to create photo panoramas using free (and purchased) software

16:00 Presented by Pine (RedGlobe)

Placement, camouflage, permissions etc.

17:00 till late The partners and everyone that only wants to attend the event will be joining for a braai. Braai fires will be available from 17:00 onwards. Please bring along your own "dop & chop".

It is that time again. The trees are in full bud and the spring Techno Event

(GC2BH4N) is happening this Saturday. The program for the afternoon is as follows but will have a measure of flexibility: :rolleyes:

13:00 Welcome settle in and get online. :o

13:15 - 14:15 Anton Damhuis will be giving a lightning recap on GSAK to bring the newbies up to steam and then he will concentrate on the latest version and new functionality contained therein. If you do not have the latest version (V 7.7.2) it will be available to install. He will also discuss the new badge macros and statistics macros that you can run against your profile to generate vast amounts of trivia that we all like to admire on other cacher's profiles. Anton will then show you how to update your own profile page with the necessary HTML code for the stats to show.

14:15 - 14:30 Refreshments will be available and if I can fit it in some baking, some pastries fresh out the oven. :laughing:

14:30 - 15:30

Tutorial: This is where you actually get to try out what you have learned. I am hoping that there will be a sufficient mix of people to afford those that need it, personalised one-on-one coaching. So especially if you are a whiz at GSAK or have mastered your particular brand of GPS, I need you to come along to the event not only to enjoy the social but to be prepared to help out those you may still not have grasped all the finer points of this marvellous technology.

15:30 - 15:45 More refreshments, smoke break and munchies. :)

15:45 - 16:30 Anton will give a brief talk on how to make your cache listings just that extra bit appealing so that people will want to rush out and do your cache ahead of someone else's. It will include how to structure a listing, ensuring you select the right attributes; how to add photographs to make it visually captivating. This will also include a brief discussion on HTML and how to use it in your listing for maximum effect.

16:30 - 17:00 RedGlobe will share with us on the upcoming events, including the CITO and the arrangements for that whole camping weekend. He will then have a general discussion and answer any questions you might have on cache placements, permissions and getting started on placing your first (of fifty first) cache. :D

17:00 till whenever... Braai, socialising, swapping coins, discovering new coins.... and generally enjoying yourselves to the full. This is where you supply whatever you want to drink and cook up to eat! :o

I look forward to seeing you there. There is still place available! Reserve your place now! B)

Another great event! Once again we have to thank BruceTP for opening his doors to host the event yet again! Also a thank you for all the snacks you provided for all the hungry cachers. To Anton ( DamhuisClan) and Pine (RedGlobe) for their contribution in presenting the technical part of the event, thank you very much! And then to everyone that attended the event, thank you for making this event a success!

We hope to see everyone at the next Techno event.

I really wondered when I scheduled this September event whether I was wasting my time and that of the presenters. I mean, similar talks have been given three times over already and I was sure people would be bored of it. :D How wrong I was! :) There were many people who attended for whom this was their first techno event. As I watched, the concentration and single minded attention of the audience was almost palpable. Judging by the comments thus far, everyone really enjoyed it and would like to develop the knowledge they gained and even expand on it. So there seems to be a need for such events. I shall therefore schedule another techno event early in the new year after all the ten year celebration events are past. If there are any specific topics that you would like covered or ones that have already been covered but that you would like more clarity on, please let me know so that I can incorporate them into the new syllabus for next year. :huh:

Thank you to everybody who came to this and the other techno events this year. My special thanks to the presenters Pine and Anton for sharing you wealth of knowledge with us. eusa_clap.gif I have learned much over the sessions and realise that there is so much more that I need to learn too. :ph34r: Finally to CJ and Brigitte, Thank you for your support and also providing tables and eats at each of the events. (Now we can concentrate on organising another 'new year bash' in January 2011.) ;)

I have enjoyed having everybody round and sharing my facilities with you. :yikes: I look forward to hosting the 2011 techno events and meeting more new cachers as well renewing the contacts with the old hands. If there is anyone out there who would like to present material relevant to geocaching at a techno event, please contact me so that we can schedule you into the program.

Until next time…

Bruce

BruceTP@me.com