delorme topo 8

gpsgeology

If you already have Topo 8, it takes longer to come here and ask than to try for yourself. If you do not yet have it, and are not buying it bundled with a PN-series GPS, I'd recommend waiting till Topo 9 is released.

If you right-click the installer & select "run as administrator" you should be OK from what I've read.

Edited by dakboy

Yes Topo 8 runs just fine on my Win7 64 bit laptop. There is a procedure that Delorme has in there Knowledge base to get it loaded. here is the link http://delorme.com/support/supporttemplate.aspx?id=465

Like posted do not run out and buy 8 unless you already have it already, wait until 9 arrives. 7 worked good 8 flopped hopefully 9 will be back to be the way its supposed to be.

Edited by rambrush

Like posted do not run out and buy 8 unless you already have it already, wait until 9 arrives. 7 worked good 8 flopped hopefully 9 will be back to be the way its supposed to be.

For the record, my "wait till 9" recommendation was based solely on the fact that Topo 9 will be out in May, and the cheap upgrade for people who bought 8 after 9 was released won't be as generous as the 7 -> 8 upgrade was.

I have no idea what you're saying about "8 flopped" - it's been great for me.

If you already have Topo 8, it takes longer to come here and ask than to try for yourself. If you do not yet have it, and are not buying it bundled with a PN-series GPS, I'd recommend waiting till Topo 9 is released.

If you right-click the installer & select "run as administrator" you should be OK from what I've read.

Darkboy,

" ....longer...." Having a bad day? Hope you are better now.

I don't own any Delorme products, just wanted to be proactive before I buy anything.

Maybe I will wait till 9 comes out.

Thanks

Steve.

...8 flopped...
Interesting, why do you say that?

Topo 8 has a lot of broken roads that don't allow you to create a correct route, the backcountry roads are a mess some just have pieces and parts with no end or start. Topo 7 had/has the backcountry roads intact.

If you have topo look at Kingman az head over to Alamo Lake Road south to Alamo Lake ro over towards Oatman.

I am stickin with Delorme but now usin Nat Geo to get better backroads for now even if it does not support the PN-20/40

...8 flopped...
Interesting, why do you say that?

Topo 8 has a lot of broken roads that don't allow you to create a correct route, the backcountry roads are a mess some just have pieces and parts with no end or start. Topo 7 had/has the backcountry roads intact.

If you have topo look at Kingman az head over to Alamo Lake Road south to Alamo Lake ro over towards Oatman.

I am stickin with Delorme but now usin Nat Geo to get better backroads for now even if it does not support the PN-20/40

Have you reported this to DeLorme? Submitted map corrections? It can't get fixed if DeLorme doesn't know it's broken.

Dakboy, is that a suggestion or a challenge?

I asked Rmabrush what he didn't like about T8 --and if I understood his response, some data that was correct in T7 is now either broken or missing in T8. But to me, your response sounds like it's either his own fault or his responsibility to help DeLorme fix it.

What gives?

No software developer can fix something if they aren't made aware that it's broken. As an end user, it's my responsibility to report errors when I find them so that they can be corrected.

At least once a month, I discover that our helpdesk is telling users to use un-approved "workarounds" for bugs in software I support - bugs which have never been reported by the helpdesk to my development group so that we can actually fix it, instead of people being told to use kludgy workarounds which mess up the usage statistics some of our models depend upon.

Edited by dakboy

Life is good

Delorme is aware of the problem and lots of others have spent hours detailing the problems.

I put together a route from here to Wiley Creek campground in Washington using secondary roads. because of the broken segments it would route me over to I-5 because as far as the software was concerned the road did not continue. the workaround was to stop the route at that point and continue a new route on the other side of the break.

Dakboy, is that a suggestion or a challenge?

I asked Rmabrush what he didn't like about T8 --and if I understood his response, some data that was correct in T7 is now either broken or missing in T8. But to me, your response sounds like it's either his own fault or his responsibility to help DeLorme fix it.

What gives?

No software developer can fix something if they aren't made aware that it's broken. As an end user, it's my responsibility to report errors when I find them so that they can be corrected.

At least once a month, I discover that our helpdesk is telling users to use un-approved "workarounds" for bugs in software I support - bugs which have never been reported by the helpdesk to my development group so that we can actually fix it, instead of people being told to use kludgy workarounds which mess up the usage statistics some of our models depend upon.

I run into this same scenario repeatedly. The user (in dakboy's case the helpdesk) has some responsibility to advise when something that worked in the previous version no longer works in the new version if only to advise the vendor they missed this during their bug check.

I've been involved in testing before in other products and know that what worked in previous versions can break simply by the patch that was applied. Who doesn't know this when dealing with other entities such as Microsoft? As much bug testing as can be done, it is simply impossible to catch them all. As desktop support in my current job, I deal with this with current products now and stay in constant contact with the vendors that support them when a bug is noted. I can't wait for them to "discover" the problem when I have details I can provide now for a fix.

Not saying this was the case with rambrush, but unfocused complaining is just making noise and dakboy's inquiry was legitimate.