A good GPS for running?

(((((Happy Bubbles)))))

How are you doing?

I believe that I have heard of this thing you call "running" before. It is like walking really fast, right? I did that once while I was chasing a Schwan's truck, but I tripped and fell down.

Some gps' have heart rate monitors and everything, but suck at navigation. How heavy of a unit are you willing to haul around? http://gpstracklog.com/buyers-guides/gps-for-runners

(((((Happy Bubbles)))))

How are you doing?

I believe that I have heard of this thing you call "running" before. It is like walking really fast, right? I did that once while I was chasing a Schwan's truck, but I tripped and fell down.

Some gps' have heart rate monitors and everything, but suck at navigation. How heavy of a unit are you willing to haul around? http://gpstracklog.com/buyers-guides/gps-for-runners

Do you have a Java & bluetooth phone that you would take with you anyway? If so, consider a bluetooth GPS receiver. Dirt cheap (I just paid £13) with some free software (e.g. trekbuddy). Very light to carry, mine works fine in my pocket or in my flourescent arm-band (for when I'm running). Certainly worth a punt.

Matt

the main thing I use my GPS for is when I go running or hiking and want to keep track how far and how quickly I'm going.
Do you want to keep see this data during the run, or just to analyze later? How much extra weight do you want to carry? How much do you want to spend?

For running (or the much more sensible actviuity of bicycling :unsure:), I'd be looking at one of Garmin's wrist mounted gadgets, or an even smaller data logger from Semsons...

Any of these could be good for running, but won't replace the GPS you have (or need) for driving, geocaching, etc....

Garmin Forunner 305 works great. It is specificaly designed for running so has some features that others dont. I use my wifes alot for both running and skiing. You can actualy use it for geocaching, but I don't think it has WAAS, and data entry is a nightmare. I have never tried it.

If your cell phone has a GPS you can likely get a running app for it. There are several for Windows Mobile phones, the iPhone must have some, I would think blackbearys do too.

Edited by Andronicus