Wrong GPS number registering on the site

I am using the GPS device on my Verizon phone. It seems to use the "degrees, minutes, seconds" system for coordinates, which gives me a bit of trouble sometimes finding coordinates. However, here's where it gets wierd. While I was hiding my geocache "Stellar Arcana - Observatory" (GC228QK) I checked the coordinates for the first location. It registered as "N 34 degrees, 7' 5.8 / W 118 degrees, 18' 1.0". However, after I entered all of this information into the site, it didn't register the numbers I put in. Instead, different numbers appear. (They are close, but not quite on.) And I'm not talking about a different system, it's the "degrees, minutes, seconds" system that's registering wrong.

Even though the numbers are close, people are still having difficulty finding my cache, and I want them to be able to locate it. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks!

"N 34 degrees, 7' 5.8 / W 118 degrees, 18' 1.0"

The way you are typing your coords, they appear to be in Degree Minute Second format

The site typically uses Degree Minute format

Here is your coords converted to all three common formats:

DMS: N 34 07 05.80, W 118 18 01.00 (degrees minutes seconds ddd mm ss.ss)

DM: N 34 07.097, W 118 18.017 (degrees minutes ddd mm.mmm)

D: 34.118278,-118.300278 (degrees ddd.dddd)

While I was hiding my geocache "Stellar Arcana - Observatory" (GC228QK) I checked the coordinates for the first location. It registered as "N 34 degrees, 7' 5.8 / W 118 degrees, 18' 1.0". However, after I entered all of this information into the site, it didn't register the numbers I put in.

Can anyone help me on this?

Go to Fizzymagic

Find FizzyCalc... mucho useful... to do what you need.

edit: I got it wrong place the first try... thought it was on GCsite.

These are all the same, the site 'fixed' it for you expecting DD MM.mm.

N 34.118278, W 118.300278 DD.ddd

N 34 07.097, W 118 18.017 DD MM.mmm Geocaching.com

N 34 07 05.80, W 118 18 01.00 DD MM SS.ss Yours

11S E 380085 N 3776034 UTM

I see I'm late again, OK... but find the Fizzycalc for future use... it's very good and useful.

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

carpenterkane: Are the other coordinates which GC.com gives you correct for the other coordinate formats? Is it just the DD MM SS.ss which is giving hassle? As someone else has said, it'd be good to see what GC.com is actually giving you...

Two of us have shown what SHOULD be entered for the coordinates that were entered (Post 1), the problem arises when the cache owner entered DMS.s coordinates into a system that wants DD MM.mmm.

The system tries to convert what it received and displays it as DD MM.mmm.

All they have to do is take the converted numbers and enter those. It should be fine then. One problem that may pop up is that the NEW, corrected coordinates, might possibly conflict with some existing cache... since the approval was based on what was submitted. THAT will have to be addressed to finally fix it.

But, since it was approved, the fix might be to move the cache to that location or close... I haven't tried plotting the new numbers...

As for the cache # and name, try Post # 1, that is where we found them along with the entered coords.

Edit: I've now plotted the points and looked over the cache page a bit more... since it is an offset style.. the corrected ones are probably good for the START POINT. The description leads me to believe that the posted ones may be a bit off the final location or not... I'm too far away to try it... I don't see anything that would conflict though but I can't see other multi or offset finals... My advice stands... check with your reviewer once you have the coordinates under control... a bit of coordinate averageing might help. A question... does the device you are using allow switching the coordinate units to DD MM.mmm format?

Doug

Edited by 7rxc