La Crosse BC-9009 charger recall

guggie

I know many of us use this charger. Amazon has sent out this notice:

(edited for length)

We have recently learned that La Crosse Technology, Inc. is voluntarily replacing the AC adapters used with La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Chargers sold between October 1, 2009 and January 15, 2010.

AC Adapter Replacement for BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger La Crosse Technolology recently switched to a new AC adapter that meets California Energy Commission (CEC) requirements. La Crosse Technology has discovered that this new AC adapter has an increased voltage output; therefore we are replacing the AC adapter free of charge.

The AC adapter that needs replacement can be identified by the Roman number IV on the adapter.

I measured my charger output and get about 3.19V. Does anyone have any significant different value to report?

The AC adapter that needs replacement can be identified by the Roman number IV on the adapter.[/b]

Where is the Roman Number located?

I looked at my adapter and didnt see anything.

on the wall side of the adapter at the lower right hand side of the label. It is a IV enclosed in a circle.

The AC adapter that needs replacement can be identified by the Roman number IV on the adapter.[/b]

Where is the Roman Number located?

I looked at my adapter and didnt see anything.

on the wall side of the adapter at the lower right hand side of the label. It is a IV enclosed in a circle.

Thanks for posting this. I use the BC9009 and I'm pretty sure that I purchased it within that time frame, but there isn't a IV enclosed in a circle. I've e-mailed their support to be certain.

Yes, thank you very much for posting the original information quqqie. I submitted my order for a replacement AC adapter this morning. LaCrosse indicated it would be shipping in approximately 1 month...interesting to note that although they wanted an e-mail address...there was no confirmation e-mail from them. Please respond here when any of you receive your adapter.

Bill

With or without load? If with load, what kind of load? I'll post a reading without load when I get home.

No load would be good. I'm curious if some are really high since 3.19-3.2V doesn't seem too bad to me. There have been multiple reports recently of charger melt downs during the charge process and I wonder if this recall addresses that problem.

No load would be good. I'm curious if some are really high since 3.19-3.2V doesn't seem too bad to me. There have been multiple reports recently of charger melt downs during the charge process and I wonder if this recall addresses that problem.

I thought the charger meltdown was with the older BC900, and the 9009 is partly to address this issue?