No Caching in Philly

RoyalRed

There will be no caching going on in the Philadelphia area for some time. I live in West Chester about 30 miles west of Philly and we are just passing 12" of snow today with it still coming down. This is on top of 27" of snow from 2 or 3 days ago. I can't remember the exact day of the last storm as everything is blending into a continuous stream of driveway snow blowing.

This last storm set the all time record for snow in a single season in Philadelphia. Looks really cool and I don't have to go to work but end up spending my time clearing the driveway, removing soaking wet clothes, redressing, clearing the driveway, removing soaking wet clothes...you get the picture.

What makes this storm really difficult is that I just returned last Friday from a business trip in Australia. 2 weeks of 80-90 degree temperatures, sun, great food, etc. A real kick in the teeth coming home to this!

Wow! Yall are tough B#%T*$S, I take my hat off to you Northern folk. Ive lived in Florida, Greece, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. All pretty hot most of the time, Ive been in snow, but only on vacation, not actually living, working, and functioning in it.

Like I said, I take my hat off to ya, keep yer chin up.

Wow! Yall are tough B#%T*$S, I take my hat off to you Northern folk. Ive lived in Florida, Greece, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. All pretty hot most of the time, Ive been in snow, but only on vacation, not actually living, working, and functioning in it.

Hi moparots:

Snow is no big deal (a 4WD helps). I've been in Florida (Daytona) in February. Very comfortable in my T-shirt while the locals were shivering in a light jacket while shoveling sand. But I've also heard horror stories about Daytona in July. I loved my visits to Florida but I'm still happy to live here.

Hi moparots:

Snow is no big deal (a 4WD helps). I've been in Florida (Daytona) in February. Very comfortable in my T-shirt while the locals were shivering in a light jacket while shoveling sand. But I've also heard horror stories about Daytona in July. I loved my visits to Florida but I'm still happy to live here.

Someplace there is a photo from the seventies of my sister in our grandparents pool with a kid in the background in a PARKA.

Greeting to you from us geocachers here in Nazareth, PA, greater Lehigh Valley Area.

You guys just to the south have gotten hammered this winter, while we missied out on several of the big ones.

You got 2 feet of snow just before New Year's, we got 3-4 inches. You got 2 feet of snow last Saturday, we got 5-6 inches.

I measured 14 inches on my porch last evening after the snow stopped, so we didn't miss it all this time.

See you on the geocaching trails, maybe sometime in June?

:lol:

What was it, again, that that dadgummed woodchuck said? :D

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

That is what he said, isn't it?

geeeeez! :lol::o:DB):D

EDIT: Sorry. Really, I'm sorry. :D

Its alright... its alright. I've spent winters in the U.P., too. Spring WILL come. Really it will. Time now to go back to the fireplace and reread Trout Madness for the 10,000th time, OK?

What was it, again, that that dadgummed woodchuck said? :D

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

That is what he said, isn't it?

geeeeez! :lol::o:DB):D

EDIT: Sorry. Really, I'm sorry. :D

Its alright... its alright. I've spent winters in the U.P., too. Spring WILL come. Really it will. Time now to go back to the fireplace and reread Trout Madness for the 10,000th time, OK?

We just got a new wood stove/fireplace insert so stacking and chopping firewood has kept me busy.

If you're looking for other trout fishing books check out an author by the name of David Leitz. He has a few entertaining mysteries based on a flyfishing resort. One of them is called "Dying to Flyfish".

I think we only got about 8" of snow from the latest storm (and nothing from the storm that hit Pennsylvania a week ago or so). I remember a long weekend long time ago with a group of people that rented a house in Lake Tahoe for the ski season. It snowed 9 feet in three days. We got up three days in the row to find snow up the door handles in our vehicles. We'd dig it the cars out, back them out to clear the driveway (we couldn't go anywhere because all the roads out of the basin were closed) then get up the next day to find snow up to the door handles again. We lost electricity the first day and it didn't come back on before we left four days later when one of the roads out of the basin opened.

What?!? Now is the PERFECT time to get that 100th cache milestone! Why wait 'til its easy? Get out there while you've still got bragging rights!

Yeah, I've been thinking about strapping on the snow shoes Saturday and hitting a trail to see what I can come up with. I like the idea of hiking and caching in the snow...just not too sure about driving in it :lol:

I take my hat off to all you Floridians. I cant believe that people in Florida can't drive in a 1/4 inch of snow. :lol: We get that much in 15 minutes sometimes.

I did a cache not to long ago during a snow storm that a cacher from Florida couldn't do during no snow storm. Read this log :oI can't drive

Edited by genegene

I take my hat off to all you Floridians. I cant believe that people in Florida can't drive in a 1/4 inch of snow. :lol: We get that much in 15 minutes sometimes.

I did a cache not to long ago during a snow storm that a cacher from Florida couldn't do during no snow storm. Read this log :oI can't drive

It's all in what you know. What your personal experience prepares you for. I learned to drive in a tow truck in Buffalo. I can drive in the worst of blizzards. One of those summer rainstorms in Florida? No thank you! We work and play in a whole winters full of snow and don't think too much of it. Down south they have summer heat and humidity that would prevent me from leaving the house. All a matter of what you are used to.

I take my hat off to all you Floridians. I cant believe that people in Florida can't drive in a 1/4 inch of snow. :o We get that much in 15 minutes sometimes.

I did a cache not to long ago during a snow storm that a cacher from Florida couldn't do during no snow storm. Read this log :DI can't drive

It's all in what you know. What your personal experience prepares you for. I learned to drive in a tow truck in Buffalo. I can drive in the worst of blizzards. One of those summer rainstorms in Florida? No thank you! We work and play in a whole winters full of snow and don't think too much of it. Down south they have summer heat and humidity that would prevent me from leaving the house. All a matter of what you are used to.

You can keep your snow and stop sending it towards me. :lol: I see what you guys/gals get out there and I want no part if it. B)

I take my hat off to all you Floridians. I cant believe that people in Florida can't drive in a 1/4 inch of snow. :)We get that much in 15 minutes sometimes.

I did a cache not to long ago during a snow storm that a cacher from Florida couldn't do during no snow storm. Read this log :laughing:I can't drive

15 minutes? That's an eternity. We've gotten whole snowstorms in one second! It comes down like, "WHOMP!!" Seven inches, just like that.

You do not want to be out in a multi-whomp storm, believe me!

Wouldn't feel right if'n we couldn't use our X-C skis for more than six months out of a year!

A good snow, by that I mean a layer of about three feet on the ground, makes it much easier to grab some of those "in-the-tree" caches. During the summer, they can be 6 - 10 feet over your head! I hate climbing spruce trees! :):laughing::laughing:

I heard this many years ago, and I trust that its true: When the first French fur trappers that arrived in the U.P., they thought there were giants living there, because of the blaze marks they'd see way high up in the trees. Turned out that those blaze marks were put there in the winter by natives of normal height.

Call me crazy (YOU'RE CRAZY! :laughing:), but some of my favourite caching is done in the winter. You just have to be prepared for it. Extra socks, extra batteries, trail food, etc.

Granted, 12" of snow will up your difficulty and terrain rating just a bit, but it's wicked fun. You get to use a caching skill you didn't even know you had.

One of my favourite caches, Got Milk? GCVN3V, which is no longer there, was a winter find. Hiking 4.5 miles is a little more difficult in the snow. Especially since when I started the find, there was 36" of snow, and it was still coming down at quite a good clip. By the time I finished (several hours later), I got back to my truck, after doing the Managed To Find dance :) and measured 52" of snow.