Confused about Grabbing a TB

BCSasquatch

Searched and questions still confusing.

What is the purpose of grabbing a TB from another cacher or cache?

If I am in possession of a TB and another player "grabs" it, what happens next? I still have the physical bug.

Under what circumstances would one normally grab a bug (or coin?).

Not an issue for me currently, but I have tried finding explanations and am just not seeing the relevance of grabbing a TB.

lol ... I don't get it. :unsure:

I normally log my TB pick-ups and drops within a few hours of the activity.

Normally you Retrieve a bug from a cache and Grab a bug from a cacher - Like you met the cacher someplace and they handed you the bug to move along.

Both options do the same thing when the bug is sitting in a cache so it doesn't really matter which one you use in that situation, but I still choose Retrieve.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ah, okay, I get it. Thanks.

So just so I actually do get it .... if I am holding a bug that I logged as retrieved from a cache, and it is in my inventory, some random cacher on the other side of the world can't simply grab it online and mess up the process?

If I hand it to a friend (cacher) to drop for me and he logs it as grabbed from me, is there anything else I need to do to confirm that it is a legitimate grab?

Ah, okay, I get it. Thanks.

So just so I actually do get it .... if I am holding a bug that I logged as retrieved from a cache, and it is in my inventory, some random cacher on the other side of the world can't simply grab it online and mess up the process?

If I hand it to a friend (cacher) to drop for me and he logs it as grabbed from me, is there anything else I need to do to confirm that it is a legitimate grab?

Thank you for asking these questions.

If someone had the tracking number they could Grab the bug away from wherever it is at and play around with it. This is why you do not want to post the tracking number in logs or show it in a photo. If the bug number gets shared and the bug virtually logged by many people, the bug could be locked down permanently.

If someone goofs up and accidentally or mistakenly Grabbed it away, all logging can be fixed. If that happens and you are not sure what to do just come back here for assistance. It's happened one or twice before so don't worry.

Once your friend Grabs it away the bug page will show it in their possession. When they post a log on a cache it will be in their drop inventory. No other verification is needed.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

If someone goofs up and accidentally or mistakenly Grabbed it away, all logging can be fixed.

We actually manged to do just that early on with a geocoin. We must have typo'd the tracking number and ended up with the same type of geocoin. We didn't discover the mistake until we noticed a VERY angry note on the geocoin webpage written by the owner demanding what was going on (particularly how someone else could log it with they were SURE that it was still in their possession.) Fortunately, once the they finally understood the simple mistake, they did cool off. Hey, "it" happens!

You can also use "grab" if you happen to find a coin or TB in cache that it isn't logged into (ie. if someone dropped it off and forgot to log it or something like that) Grabbing it moves the coin into your inventory and from there you can move it normally again.

Like when I'm away from home on holiday with no internet access.

I drop a TB into a cache, but can't log the drop. Another cacher comes along and collects the TB.

Grabs it from me, drops it in the cache (helps to keep the correct mileage) then retrieves it and continues the TB's travels.