Coughlin Match Box?

Ratbas

Hi all,

I found one of these at a discount store: http://www.coghlanscampinggear.com/cobrmabox.html

Took me a minute to figure out how to open it. Doesn't seem too fragile, but I can easily picture someone breaking it out of frustration if they can't figure it out (or stubbornly breaking it unintentionally).

Am I the last person on earth who didn't know how to open one of these or is this a semi-legit concern?

(also, please ignore the typo in the title of the thread).

Edited by Ratbas

Wow... they still sell that kind?!?

I have found exactly one cache with that as a container. The log was quite wet, but it was also a very old cache, so I can't really speak to how watertight they are (although I see the website claims they are watertight). But the newer, plastic version has proven its worth, so I'd just use them, if it were me (roughly a buck... much cheaper than the Coghlan, too)

Edited by knowschad

Hi all,

I found one of these at a discount store: http://www.coghlanscampinggear.com/cobrmabox.html

Took me a minute to figure out how to open it. Doesn't seem too fragile, but I can easily picture someone breaking it out of frustration if they can't figure it out (or stubbornly breaking it unintentionally).

Am I the last person on earth who didn't know how to open one of these or is this a semi-legit concern?

We had a cache made out of one of those. It didn't perform very well. We would up using the orange ones from Walmart. They hold up a lot better and are much easier for cachers to open.

Any luck with the soap caddies? http://www.coghlanscampinggear.com/cotrsoca.html

It has drainage holes at the bottom, but I figured I'll have to cover it with camo tape anyway and can just cover the holes with that.

ummmm - no - bad idea. Duct tape is not very waterproof - especially over time. Always start with a good waterproof container that can last before you camo it.

Lock-n-Locks. See here

Hi all,

We have one of the brass ones in our camping gear and it is a PAIN to open.

The metal ones are cheap copies of the Marples match boxes. Good containers, but a pain in the can to open.

The plastic match containers are great and we prefer them to film cans.

We HAVE seen plastic match containers in OD and black on eBay, but for more than the dollar you could pay for the orange.

A can of plastic spray paint would last many of those, then use the rest on the lock 'n locks you'll pick up eventually. :unsure:

To avoid the orange color, you can use the Texsport version:

http://www.texsport.net/plastic-match-p-1184.html

which is OD (olive drab) but otherwise identical to the Coughlan AFAICT. Both are made of ABS and so will last well in the sun. You can find better prices, though you won't find a Wal-mart price. IIRC I paid about $1.40 each including shipping for 25.

I sand them and paint them anyway, but the color is dark enough to work fine with no extra treatment or after the camo disintegrates. They could be sanded quickly to cut the gloss.

Edward

Lock-n-Locks. See here

I'm familiar with those (my wife actually brings them with her when we eat out as a green alternative to styrofoam). I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just don't like them. Just something about hiking for miles, desperately searching for... Tupperware? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the feedback.

Any luck with the soap caddies? http://www.coghlanscampinggear.com/cotrsoca.html

It has drainage holes at the bottom, but I figured I'll have to cover it with camo tape anyway and can just cover the holes with that.

ummmm - no - bad idea. Duct tape is not very waterproof - especially over time. Always start with a good waterproof container that can last before you camo it.

Lock-n-Locks. See here

JCPenney still has the 16 & 20 piece sets (8 & 10 containers with lids) for about $20.

Lock-n-Locks. See here

I'm familiar with those (my wife actually brings them with her when we eat out as a green alternative to styrofoam). I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just don't like them. Just something about hiking for miles, desperately searching for... Tupperware? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the feedback.

Please don't use Tupperware and Lock -n- Lock in the same post. :lol: Seriously, Lock-n-Locks have earned the respect of the caching community. True, they are not an ammo can, but when it comes to poly containers, nothing beats them.

Lock-n-Locks. See here

Please don't use Tupperware and Lock -n- Lock in the same post. :lol: Seriously, Lock-n-Locks have earned the respect of the caching community. True, they are not an ammo can, but when it comes to poly containers, nothing beats them.

True. I've found many a cache in real Tupperware. Besides being expensive it seems that they are usually wet if they have been out for any length of time.

To avoid the orange color, you can use the Texsport version:

http://www.texsport.net/plastic-match-p-1184.html

which is OD (olive drab) but otherwise identical to the Coughlan AFAICT. Both are made of ABS and so will last well in the sun. You can find better prices, though you won't find a Wal-mart price. IIRC I paid about $1.40 each including shipping for 25.

I sand them and paint them anyway, but the color is dark enough to work fine with no extra treatment or after the camo disintegrates. They could be sanded quickly to cut the gloss.

Edward

I was unable to get rid of the gloss to my satisfaction, so I did this:

waterproof_match_container_small.jpg

The only problem I have with this method is the wear and tear on the camo paint. I have yet to find an actual non-gloss clear coat.

EDIT: smaller graphic

Edited by frinklabs

I was unable to get rid of the gloss to my satisfaction, so I did this:

waterproof_match_container_small.jpg

The only problem I have with this method is the wear and tear on the camo paint. I have yet to find an actual non-gloss clear coat.

EDIT: smaller graphic

I have some digital camo fabric that I picked up at the local fabric store. You should check yours. A little careful scissors work and some contact cement and you will have a real nice camo job with zero gloss.

Lock-n-Locks. See here

Yup - thats us - We use a multi-billion dollar military satellite system to hunt down plastic containers in the woods.

To the original post. I found one of those rather recently- a number of cacher logs mention not being able to open it, so that's a real concern. It opened pretty easily, in truth, but the "how to" is apparently not obvious.

And, it had been out just over a month when I found it, and was wet.

I've seen the match boxes in OD green at Military surplus places for $2 (briefly, they were at Target for $1.)

Not having to worry about camo might make that a good deal.

I generally use camo duct tape on the orange containers from walmart. I'm not real concerned about stealth - my hides are out in the woods somewhere. I'm not trying to conceal them from cachers, just keep them from being picked up by hunters. The slick shiny surface doesn't last long. Indeed, the tape itself fails in a couple of years, but the gummy stuff catches so much dirt that the surface is still concealed under the local bacterial and fungal slime ;-)

I have yet to find an actual non-gloss clear coat.

Don't know if its what you mean, but when I was a kid I used a dull lacquer called dullcote from testors for a clear flat finish on plastic models.

You can make flat enamel by mixing a bit of talcum powder with the paint, as well. Obviously, this doesn't work with spray paint.

I have yet to find an actual non-gloss clear coat.

Don't know if its what you mean, but when I was a kid I used a dull lacquer called dullcote from testors for a clear flat finish on plastic models.

You can make flat enamel by mixing a bit of talcum powder with the paint, as well. Obviously, this doesn't work with spray paint.

Krylon® camouflage spray paint comes in 3 - 4 colors. No glare whatsoever. I believe it is made for spray painting plastics. Perhaps it will adhere better than others.

Be sure the clean the to-be-painted surface first as there is usually manufacturing oils, etc. that remain on the surface. A very light pass with super-fine sandpaper helps adherence and cuts down on glare, too.

EDIT: Or you could brush-paint it and roll it in some dirt! :o

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee