Best Windows Mobile CDMA phone for Geocaching

Andronicus

My mobile phone contract is coming up for renewal in a few months. Time to start doing my homework for what phone I want next.

Any suggestions on a CDMA Windows Mobile phone. I think the key will be that it must not have static navigation (or must be able to dissable static navigation). I kind of like the HTC line up, but other brands would also be considered.

PS Funny how stastic navigation is an inhansment to improve user experience while driving, but us geocachers hate it. They realy should have left it up to the software designers to implement it rather than doing it in the chip.

My mobile phone contract is coming up for renewal in a few months. Time to start doing my homework for what phone I want next.

Any suggestions on a CDMA Windows Mobile phone. I think the key will be that it must not have static navigation (or must be able to dissable static navigation). I kind of like the HTC line up, but other brands would also be considered.

PS Funny how stastic navigation is an inhansment to improve user experience while driving, but us geocachers hate it. They realy should have left it up to the software designers to implement it rather than doing it in the chip.

HTC seems to be the market leaders right now. Samsung a close second. May I recommend you try an Android phone? I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the way it works. I came from WinMo and imo android is a much more user friendly platform. I understand that there are pros and cons to each OS so there may be something on winmo that isn't available on android but at this point I would think that unlikely...just a suggestion.

HTC seems to be the market leaders right now. Samsung a close second. May I recommend you try an Android phone? I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the way it works. I came from WinMo and imo android is a much more user friendly platform. I understand that there are pros and cons to each OS so there may be something on winmo that isn't available on android but at this point I would think that unlikely...just a suggestion.

There are geocaching apps on WinMo that I love that are not available on Android. Trying to get the developer to port it over. Not sure how much work that is. BTW, most WinMo phones can be converted to Android.

Anyway, the obvoius extention to your repley is: What (if any) CDMA Android phone does not have static navigation?

The catch is that all CDMA phones use QualCOMM processors, so usualy also have the QualCOMM GPS (GPSOne) which, as far as I know, all have static navigation hard wired in.

Honestly....I have no clue. I can tell you I used a Samsung Omnia (winMo) and now a Droid (Android) for geocaching with great success. I like the droid better because it updates faster giving me a more precise reading. It seemed like the Omnia would jump around a little also. For instance, I would stop and wait for a clear lock while the Omnia got there my coordinates never stopped moving. On the Droid when I stop the coordinates lock and it's very accurate. I have yet to use an actual GPS for geocaching which is part of the allure...it's very cheap :unsure:

Honestly....I have no clue. I can tell you I used a Samsung Omnia (winMo) and now a Droid (Android) for geocaching with great success. I like the droid better because it updates faster giving me a more precise reading. It seemed like the Omnia would jump around a little also. For instance, I would stop and wait for a clear lock while the Omnia got there my coordinates never stopped moving. On the Droid when I stop the coordinates lock and it's very accurate. I have yet to use an actual GPS for geocaching which is part of the allure...it's very cheap :lol:

I also have never used a stand alone GPS for geocaching. I think the jumping around is a result of the GPS chipset and/or software. I realy do not think that is related to the OS. (unless it is the OS's drivers doing it, wich is esentialy software again).

I have an HTC Touch Pro2 on Telus CDMA. Works great for Geocaching with an app that I can't mention on the forums. Using a custom ROM from PPCGeeks I have very quick, stable GPS operation.

I'll second that. The HTC Touch 2 gives the most acurate and steady GPS performance I've found on any device.

I have an HTC Touch Pro2 on Telus CDMA. Works great for Geocaching with an app that I can't mention on the forums. Using a custom ROM from PPCGeeks I have very quick, stable GPS operation.

I'll second that. The HTC Touch 2 gives the most acurate and steady GPS performance I've found on any device.

I have a HTC Touch (Vogue) (upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.5). It works well, but suffers from static navigation, and about 3 days every 3 months or so, the GPS wont lock. Realy strange. Maybe my next one will be the touch 2.

I have a HTC Touch (Vogue) (upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.5). It works well, but suffers from static navigation, and about 3 days every 3 months or so, the GPS wont lock. Realy strange. Maybe my next one will be the touch 2.

Is the HTC Touch 2 the same as the HTC Touch Dual?

I use a touch pro 2 on sprint, and a touch pro before that. Your not the first person I've seen say they can metion the programs name, why is that? I've been using it (if were talkin the same one which I think we are) since very early versions and love it.

I use a touch pro 2 on sprint, and a touch pro before that. Your not the first person I've seen say they can metion the programs name, why is that? I've been using it (if were talkin the same one which I think we are) since very early versions and love it.

Groundspeak believs that it breaks the terms of service for GC.com

Did some resurch on the Touch Pro 2. looks like the availability of cooked ROMs is quite limited, and the data plans are more money. Maybe I will stick with my Touch (Vouge). I get a data plan that assumes I can't connect to the 3G network, but with the cooked ROM I have, I can connect to the 3G network.

Did some resurch on the Touch Pro 2. looks like the availability of cooked ROMs is quite limited, and the data plans are more money. Maybe I will stick with my Touch (Vouge). I get a data plan that assumes I can't connect to the 3G network, but with the cooked ROM I have, I can connect to the 3G network.

There's lots of cooked roms on the PPCGeeks site. Too many to choose from. The GPS *does* work without using a cooked ROM FYI, and it's much better than the Vogue GPS was (I have a Vogue as well).

For CDMA I'd suggest either MightyROM, MalROM or EnergyROM.

There's lots of cooked roms on the PPCGeeks site. Too many to choose from. The GPS *does* work without using a cooked ROM FYI, and it's much better than the Vogue GPS was (I have a Vogue as well).

For CDMA I'd suggest either MightyROM, MalROM or EnergyROM.

Cool! Thanks for the info on that. Will definatly put that near the top of my list for my phone upgrade.