Box for Geocaching accessories

poohisgreat

I have a couple questions and will be curious to the answers. I am only 2 weeks into Geocaching and I am hooked!!! :tongue:

1) I have a plastic shoe box in the car with Trinkets to trade. I just added Plastic bags and Geocaching logs.

What else should I put in it? Do other people keep anything like this in their car so they're always ready??

2) Is it ever proper to place a new log in someone's cache if the current one is soaked??

Thanks for your comments. :(

Read this thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=239015&hl=

Yes, placing a dry logbook is OK, as is placing one for a full logbook. Leave the old one in place. You should notify the cache owner.

Hint: Rather than a box in the vehicle -- get a small backpack. As time goes on (or even reading the above thread) you'll discover a lot of stuff that you may need. :tongue:

Welcome to the obsession!

Get a small, unbreakable mirror you can hold in the palm of your hand. Very handy for peeking under things. I have mine out most often when seeking micros and nanos, though sometimes there may be a larger cache in a hollow log and I'd prefer not to get down unless I must.

We were at Autozone last week and came across a nifty small round mirror with a handle. It's similar to a dental mirror except that the mirror is bigger and it has a telescoping handle. We just had to get it for our geocaching bag.

I have a couple questions and will be curious to the answers. I am only 2 weeks into Geocaching and I am hooked!!! :unsure:

1) I have a plastic shoe box in the car with Trinkets to trade. I just added Plastic bags and Geocaching logs.

What else should I put in it? Do other people keep anything like this in their car so they're always ready??

2) Is it ever proper to place a new log in someone's cache if the current one is soaked??

Thanks for your comments. :anibad:

Welcome to the game! It's good to have you! :unsure:

1. In my 'geocaching man purse' I have: gps, CAMERA, pocket note pad, numerous pens, tweezers, numerous spare batteries, minimag flashlight, and minimag flashlight replacement bulbs. This is all the equipment I've needed for 99% of my finds. A mirror is helpful, but I just use my digital camera to take pics of what I can't see and then look at the pics on the screen so it works the same way.

2. I think I'm in the minority on this, but I think it's entirely proper to add a log, but completely improper to take an old log out. I watch my caches like a 'helicopter parent' and I keep all my logs for my archives at home. If someone took my log and didn't notify me and give it back to me (wether soaked or not), I would consider that theft.

We carry hiking sticks...great for poking, mirror on a telescoping handle (auto type) and depending on the type of caching day we'll be doing, use either a fanny(bum) bag or backpack each. I work in a dental office and have a cast-off pair of dental tweezers. For small holes a dental mirror (drug store or cast-off) may be the next addition.

For back up at home, we have a couple of those plastic carts....one for lock and locks, the other for swag, bags, logbooks etc. The garage has a box of stuff for prepping caches..............

We replaced a logsheet in a micro and kept the full one, letting the CO know that we would be happy to mail it to him/her. The didn't want it and asked that we dispose of it. Otherwise, we have just added more paper/logbook if needed.

2. I think I'm in the minority on this, but I think it's entirely proper to add a log, but completely improper to take an old log out. I watch my caches like a 'helicopter parent' and I keep all my logs for my archives at home. If someone took my log and didn't notify me and give it back to me (wether soaked or not), I would consider that theft.

I agree. As a cache owner I'm particular about my logs and often each one is made specifically to fit a certain cache. If the log is full or in bad shape leave a "needs maintenance" and let me take care of it.

If you feel you must play the good Samaritan, leave a log but please do not take the original one.

BrrrMo- Why the whistle??

In the case of an emergency it can be heard from much farthen than a voice. I have a "Storm Whistle" in my pack that is so loud my ears ring after blowing it.

Edited by briansnat

I just got my backpack at walmart in the accessories area. It was the old one that I used to carry my laptop to class. It works great for carrying cachng stuff. I agree about the whistle-my falconry whistle is attached to one of the shoulder straps in front. I don't carry alot of survival gear since I do caches near the city. I do keep a small first aid kit and a LED flahlight in case it gets dark while I am out, Extra socks and a heavy sweatshirt.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

I carry a small back pack at all times when I'm caching - it's actually a Kona cycling pack that can hold a water bladder and has many small pockets and compartments. Works great as I have all my stuff in it's own place in the pack which makes it very quick to get the stuff I use all the time - flashlights, note pad, camera etc.

Inside the bigger compartments I carry a 1L lock & lock with all the goodies like pencils, batteries, small tools, mirror, replacement log book, etc, and a smaller LL that has nothing but small, practical trade items. I also carry a well stocked first aid kit, spare socks, gonch, t-shirt etc. if I should ever decide to fall into a creek or something.

I also carry 2 knives - a large hunting knife and a smaller pocket knife, and a small umbrella that attaches to the outside of the pack so I can shield log books in the rain if needed.

Add to that some water proof outer wear, a rain guard for the back pack, a walking stick, and I'm ready to cache at any time. It all lives in my Jeep whenever I leave home so that if I decide to impulse search, I have what I need.

Then there are the rubber boots ... get 'em and use 'em. :lol: We get a lot of rain in these parts so good, waterproof, comfortable boots are a must around here.

Hi there poohisgreat. (he is indeed)

Carrying and replacing sodden / full logs is the perfect way to make friends in the caching world. :o

Carry tweezers for those nanos, babywipes so you can eat lunch, extra batteries so you can cache all day.

Pens, pens pens too. :D

Yummmy! I LOVE baby wipe sandwiches!!!! :lol:

Just kidding.....

Can I add:

Hand held pencil sharpener? I get to caches and find dull/broken pencils. It's nice to be able to log "I sharpened your pencils..."

Hey all,

I took a close look at several of the threads addressing "what to bring" and put together what I am calling the Ultimate Geocaching Checklist. I am sure this is a living document, as there are undoubtedly items I have forgotten, but I thought this was getting pretty close to comprehensive (i.e. "overkill"). Pick and choose as you like and as it fits your climate and willingness to carry stuff. I also admit that this can get a bit heavy, but after years of backpacking, I am not one to shun excessive stuff if there is a chance I might want it. I left off replacement cache containers and new caches as they are a bit too specific for me (if a cache container is needing replacement, I am going to send the CO a 'maintenance needed' note).

I was going to post the Word file I typed this up in so others could modify it for themselves or newbies, but didn't see an option for posting a file. Maybe I am still too new for that. I'll bet you can copy and paste it into a word processing file easily.

So, without further ado, here it is:

Geocaching Checklist for Backpack

 GPSr unit w/ lanyard or case

 SWAG for Trade and any Travel Bugs

 Water

 Pens / Pencils

 Extra Batteries

 Plastic Ziploc bags (sandwich &/or snack size for replacements)

 Replacement log sheets (if full or wet)

 Duct tape / Electrical tape

 6’+ of cord / twine

 Piece of Wire

 Golf pencils to leave in caches

 Pencil sharpener

 Baby wipes to clean hands with

 Insect repellant

 Sun screen

 Whistle (loud)

 Small 1st Aid kit / Ibuprofen

 Snake Bite Kit

 Space Blanket

 Magnetic Compass

 Pocket knife

 Gloves

 Matches (in bag or waterproof container) / Vaseline Cotton Balls (firestarters)

 Tweezers

 Needle Nose Pliers or Forceps for cache extraction &/or cactus spines

 Screwdriver or paint can opener

 LED flashlight or headlamp

 Mirror with telescoping handle

 Wand-type telescoping magnet

 Toilet Paper + trowel

 Hat

 Packable Poncho

 Silica Gel Pack to add to a damp cache (I get them from shoe boxes)

 Cell Phone

 Camera

 Trash Bags for hauling out litter

Edited by rising.sun

Skip that - they just can't absorb very much fluid and once they do - they become useless. The cache needs to be able to stay dry without these.

OK, noted. They can be re-dried in a toaster oven easily, though. I've got one in my lock-n-lock cache just to absorb the inevitable atmospheric moisture that can build up in a cache.