Memory map licensing

Hooverface

I tried Memory Map, but they said they couldn't/wouldn't swap licensing from one person to another, so in effect, secondhand Memory Map software is useless, so don't be tempted to buy it on ebay.

I bought a used GPS and got some MM software with it, so contacted MM to transfer to myself, but no joy. They wouldn't issue a license key for it.

I tried Memory Map, but they said they couldn't/wouldn't swap licensing from one person to another, so in effect, secondhand Memory Map software is useless, so don't be tempted to buy it on ebay.

I bought a used GPS and got some MM software with it, so contacted MM to transfer to myself, but no joy. They wouldn't issue a license key for it.

Check your email

Unfortunately you've hit a learning curve I think. Most/all secondhand licensed software can't be transferred to another user. I've had instances where I can't even re-install paid for software on a new machine when my old laptop died. (They don't know I'm telling porkies do they?).

If the ad said you could transfer it, then you might be able to make a claim via ebay/paypal, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Sorry chap.

The problem with a transfer (from the suppliers perspective) is that while the license to use the software/data might be transferred, the ability to use it is not transferred but is duplicated. i.e. the original licensee is still able to use the product, even though doing so might contravene the terms.

Garmin have a different solution, which is to key the license to a machine. This means it is transferable to a new owner, but if the original owner buys a new machine it is not transferable to that.

There is no solution that works perfectly for both supplier and customer.

In this case, if the seller of the equipment you purchased sold it on the basis that the license was transferable, then you have a claim against them as it wasn't theirs to sell.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel