Storing Caches on External Memory with Oregeon 400t

Xantos10

I would like to have different kinds of caches on different external memory cards for my Oregon 400t. I would like to have my local caches on one, "Recommended for Night" one one, 24/7 on one, etc. I have tried it but I can't figure out how to get my GPSr to see what I have stored on the memory card. Also, do I have to delete the GFX files that I have in the on-board memory?

thanks for any help.

Excellent question. I have a new 450 that I'd like to set up the same way!

I would like to have different kinds of caches on different external memory cards for my Oregon 400t. I would like to have my local caches on one, "Recommended for Night" one one, 24/7 on one, etc. I have tried it but I can't figure out how to get my GPSr to see what I have stored on the memory card. Also, do I have to delete the GFX files that I have in the on-board memory?

thanks for any help.

thanks for any help.

I just tried this on my 550t, and it will hopefully work on your 400t:

1. On the external card, create a folder named garmin (if it doesn't exist already), then create a folder named GPX inside that folder.
  2. Copy your GPX files into the GPX folder you just created.

When you restart the GPSr, the unit should read any and all GPX files in the \garmin\GPX\ folder on the unit, and any and all GPX files in the \garmin\GPX\ folder on the external card.

You can, of course, repeat this procedure on multiple cards.

And no, you shouldn't need to delete the GPX files that are on your unit; however, I have no idea what would happen if you have GPX files with identical names on both the unit and on the external card.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

thanks for any help.

I just tried this on my 550t, and it will hopefully work on your 400t:

1. On the external card, create a folder named garmin (if it doesn't exist already), then create a folder named GPX inside that folder.
  2. Copy your GPX files into the GPX folder you just created.

When you restart the GPSr, the unit should read any and all GPX files in the \garmin\GPX\ folder on the unit, and any and all GPX files in the \garmin\GPX\ folder on the external card.

--Larry

yup - that how to do it. - you will need multiple cards for differnet "types" but those are cheap enough.

I keep all of the caches on my Colorado 400t's SD card.

There was an issue with the firmware a few revisions ago and a few times all my caches disappeared, even though the GPX files were still on the internal memory. Only way to get them to come back was to remove them all, cycle the power, then copy them all back to the unit. That required having a computer to do and I don't always take my laptop with me when I go caching. By having them on the SD card, if that issue ever happens again all I have to do is shut down, remove the SD card, cycle the power, put the SD card back in and turn on the GPS...all the caches are back.

So, I've gotten in the habit of putting all my geocaches on the SD card now.

I keep all of the caches on my Colorado 400t's SD card.

There was an issue with the firmware a few revisions ago and a few times all my caches disappeared, even though the GPX files were still on the internal memory. Only way to get them to come back was to remove them all, cycle the power, then copy them all back to the unit. That required having a computer to do and I don't always take my laptop with me when I go caching. By having them on the SD card, if that issue ever happens again all I have to do is shut down, remove the SD card, cycle the power, put the SD card back in and turn on the GPS...all the caches are back.

So, I've gotten in the habit of putting all my geocaches on the SD card now.

I've had this issue before myself. I also keep a different folder on my SD card with more GPX files (rather than using multiple cards). I use my PDA or phone to move the files from the holding area into the /Garmin/GPX folder if I move into a new area and need a different set of caches. By using this method, I am able to cover an area of 100 miles radius containing more than 12000 geocaches. I just need to move files around based on where I am. (I do have one exception since I store caches by county, and I happen to have one local county with over 2600 caches I haven't found yet, which exceeds the 2000 geocache limit of my Oregon 400t).