Walla Walla Cache Machine

travisl

No new changes. All caches on the route are there, as of last report. My only change is that I'm advising against #101, GC24MH2 Down by the Stone Creek, as you'll need to walk across a lot of blackberry-bush-covered terrain to get to it.

Good to see such a crowd at the pre-event dinner. See y'all tomorrow!

I added up all of the "local roads" distances of the caches I went after yesterday, and came up with a total of 7.8 miles. No wonder my legs and hips ache so much today!

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions, lunch, camaraderie, or merely added to the crowd of cachers. I had a heck of a lot of fun, and everyone I talked to at dinner last night seemed to enjoy it, too.

I called the Capri but they only had smoking rooms by the time we decided to go. We ended up at LaQuinta and they put us in a 1st floor room which ended up being in the basement. The room appeared clean enough at first glance. The ants on my sheets were, to say the least gross. I climbed into bed and turned on the news and there they were, 2 little black ants crawling around on the white sheets. YIKES, I grabbed a tissue and my husband did the dirty job of exterminating them. We told the guy at the desk upon checkout and he didn't seem too concerned.

The pool and hot tub were nice, the breakfast was very well done.

How was the Capri Inn? We were so sad we couldn't get time off over the weekend we are going to do some of this a few days late. Any we should skip?

The Capri was decent. It was about as good as it gets for cheap motels. The room was clean and quiet.

The bathrooms are a little teeny (low shower nozzle). The owners are very friendly and they were quite

curious about geocaching.

Since tastes vary, we don't have much to say about which caches to skip. We do recommend that you

visit the aviary in the SW corner of Pioneer Park during your visit.

71pkyf.jpg

Edited by B+L

Thanks to Travis for planning another great Cache Machine. Had a great time with Team Blade, especially after we started riffing on "milk-a-what?" and signing the logs wolf-style. :lol:

How was the Capri Inn? We were so sad we couldn't get time off over the weekend we are going to do some of this a few days late. Any we should skip? Thanks for the work of setting these up hope to make the next ...

The Super 8 motel was excellent, better than some more-expensive places I've stayed. Good rate, clean newish rooms, no bugs, comfortable bed and pillows, everything working (lights, ventilation, TV, wireless), good shower, decent breakfast, nice employees, friendly cat outside. Also incredibly quiet; didn't hear a thing from outside or my neighbors (I was on the top floor, tho).

Two of my favorite caches were A Bird's Life and Headrosis Lake. Agree with my caching partners B+L, it's hard to say which caches to skip as tastes vary (and lamp posts appear better during a numbers run :P), but I was not a fan of Down from Big K, which was in a garbage dumping area.

Edited by hydnsek
How was the Capri Inn? We were so sad we couldn't get time off over the weekend we are going to do some of this a few days late. Any we should skip? Thanks for the work of setting these up hope to make the next ...

I stayed at the Capri. The buildings and furnishings are somewhat worn and very dated, but very, very clean. The lights take about 60 seconds to get to full brightness, the walls are thin, but I had no complaints about the shower or the bed. Walking across the floor barefoot didn't concern me, and there was no dirt or debris that stuck to my wet feet, which is more than I can say for much classier hotels than this.

Their free internet connection was blazing fast. It's a step down from your typical Holiday Inn, but it's also a good chunk less expensive. I'd stay there again.

Eyeballing the route, I'd start at #1 and continue to #42, then skip to #57 (Headrosis Lake, a must-do), then head on to the caches in Ft. Walla Walla Park. I'd then skip ahead to #99 and go from there (caches 72-98 are OK, but nothing particularly amazing. Lamp posts, evil micros you'll spend too much time on, WalMart parking lots, etc.). Really, I could spend my time hunting caches along the length of Mill Creek and would be a happy cacher.

If, on the other hand, it's more about numbers than seeing neat places, invert what I just said.

The Super 8 motel was excellent, better than some more-expensive places I've stayed. Good rate, clean newish rooms, no bugs, everything working (lights, ventilation, TV, wireless), good shower, decent breakfast, nice employees, friendly cat outside. Also incredibly quiet; didn't hear a thing from outside or my neighbors (I was on the top floor, tho).

Glad to hear your experience was good. Ours wasn't as good. No table in the room (yep, hanging lamp above one chair & empty floor space where it was supposed to be), remote not working properly - tv buttons not working at all - couldn't turn tv down, dirty bathroom floor & a toilet that had been "used" not too long before it was assigned to us. No bugs though - and it was quiet. We asked about the table and was told they weren't supposed to have tables in rooms with 2 beds (complete bull). The rest we found out late & had already unpacked. At least it was quiet & my bed was comfortable.

But yes, the cache machine was a ton of fun, outside of the caches. I wasn't overly impressed with most of the caches to be perfectly honest. A bunch of evil little hides in uninteresting locations. But the combination of all of them gave me a chance to see the city and that's what it's mostly about for me and oddly enough, I really like Walla Walla now. I went in expecting a "po dunk" sorta town and was impressed with all that there is to do. Hopefully I can make it back someday to finish up some of the caches I missed and do some more exploring.

But, there were some good caches too! Mainly the ones already mentioned. But there was a night cache, a webcam cache which seem to be kind of rare anymore and my 500th cache, lol. Which turned out to be a nightmare as well, as my feet are still in pain from the 20 or so puncture vine (goat head) thorns in each foot. The tips broke off and I'm still kind of wondering when they might find a new home. Whatever, good times!

photo2-14.jpg

photo-127.jpg

But yes, the cache machine was a ton of fun, outside of the caches. I wasn't overly impressed with most of the caches to be perfectly honest. A bunch of evil little hides in uninteresting locations. But the combination of all of them gave me a chance to see the city and that's what it's mostly about for me and oddly enough, I really like Walla Walla now. I went in expecting a "po dunk" sorta town and was impressed with all that there is to do. Hopefully I can make it back someday to finish up some of the caches I missed and do some more exploring.

But, there were some good caches too! Mainly the ones already mentioned. But there was a night cache, a webcam cache which seem to be kind of rare anymore and my 500th cache, lol. Which turned out to be a nightmare as well, as my feet are still in pain from the 20 or so puncture vine (goat head) thorns in each foot. The tips broke off and I'm still kind of wondering when they might find a new home. Whatever, good times!

Ouch! Did you wade out there to get it?

:DA True City Slicker, someone should have giving him a headsup about the Eastside. :laughing:

Now, now. He was just trying to fix a malfunctioning cache so he could sign the log. He could have

just waved at and called it good it just like more than few other people did. :)

If we can work out all the kinks in time, we'll be using our paintball logger at the next CM. It works

pretty well, but it still has a tendency to log the occasional cache more than once. We're still

hoping to implement aerosol mode for those annoying unsolved puzzles.

Edited by B+L

:DA True City Slicker, someone should have giving him a headsup about the Eastside. :laughing:

Now, now. He was just trying to fix a malfunctioning cache so he could sign the log. He could have

just waved at and called it good it just like more than few other people did. :)

If we can work out all the kinks in time, we'll be using our paintball logger at the next CM. It works

pretty well, but it still has a tendency to log the occasional cache more than once. We're still

hoping to implement dispersal mode for those annoying unsolved puzzles.

I wonder if you found it after or before we did. We felt like we had to pull it in quite hard, like it was catching on something but it was tricky because we were trying not to break the line. Fun cache though, my favorite of the day.

I wonder if you found it after or before we did. We felt like we had to pull it in quite hard, like it was catching on something but it was tricky because we were trying not to break the line. Fun cache though, my favorite of the day.

We found it pretty early when it was functioning normally (no hard tugging or safety glasses required). NWCREW had wandered off, so we returned later in the day for his 500th.

Edited by B+L