Walla Walla Cache Machine

travisl

Not used to playing with this so I'm hoping the Geocache community will be as patient as I have found them over the years. I was wondering if there was a GPX file yet available for the Walla Walla event? Will one be available before the event? If it's already out there and I just haven't found it yet, where did you hide it? (grin) I have looked and after all "WE ARE THE SEARCH ENGINES"

Merlyns Ghost

Not used to playing with this so I'm hoping the Geocache community will be as patient as I have found them over the years. I was wondering if there was a GPX file yet available for the Walla Walla event? Will one be available before the event? If it's already out there and I just haven't found it yet, where did you hide it? (grin) I have looked and after all "WE ARE THE SEARCH ENGINES"

Merlyns Ghost

In post #5 I posted a link to my bookmark list. This link will also show up on each cache on the list. You will have to make your own PQ since sharing PQ's is against the Groundspeak TOU. Travisl also posted a link to the PDF of the Street & Trips of the route.

In post #5 I posted a link to my bookmark list. This link will also show up on each cache on the list. You will have to make your own PQ since sharing PQ's is against the Groundspeak TOU. Travisl also posted a link to the PDF of the Street & Trips of the route.

And to expand on that just a little bit, I'll be posting the final route on Monday night. Any changes after that will be announced at the pre-event dinner/poker night, and after I get knocked out of the poker tournament and sulk back to the hotel, I'll post those last minute changes here, too.

If anyone thinks they'd find the Streets & Trips 2009 .EST file helpful, let me know. It's not backwards compatible with any previous version of S&T, and I don't know that it can be read by any other software.

Thanks as always, jholly, for making this bookmark list available.

Edited by travisl

And to expand on that just a little bit, I'll be posting the final route on Monday night. Any changes after that will be announced at the pre-event dinner/poker night, and after I get knocked out of the poker tournament and sulk back to the hotel, I'll post those last minute changes here, too.

If anyone thinks they'd find the Streets & Trips 2009 .EST file helpful, let me know. It's not backwards compatible with any previous version of S&T, and I don't know that it can be read by any other software.

Travis;

I for one would like to have a copy of the .EST file.

McLaughlin's Marauders

Updated my OLDB and found this:

GC1GHZG - Walla Walla, WA. Creek Series: Stone Creek ... Marked unavailable and Ice&Wind has posted an archive notice.

GC1H7HZ - Walla Walla, WA. Creek Series: Yellowhawk Creek ... Marked unavailable and Ice&Wind has posted an archive notice

GC19B6D - Home Run ... Owner has posted a note that it is back up and running.

GC1H7HR - Walla Walla, WA. Creek Series: Cottonwood Creek ... NM log, needs a new log

GCMPN0 - CP Gotta Go ... 3 DNF's in a row, one indicating it might be missing

Jm

Edited by jholly

I wish! I downloaded 09 from Microsoft to try and I dint like it as much as my 08 so I didnt upgrade. I do make my own in 08 to give to my friends. I can email it out to whoever wants a copy for Streets and trips 08

Merlyns Ghost

Jholly: Is this with all changes that Travis has communicated? I'll run my PQ tomorrow. I'm on the way early Friday AM to Delorme Challenge my way there. ROOM FOR 1 MORE if anyone is interested in a Friday-Saturday-Sunday Delorme/ CM trip.

Merlyns Ghost

Jholly: Is this with all changes that Travis has communicated? I'll run my PQ tomorrow. I'm on the way early Friday AM to Delorme Challenge my way there. ROOM FOR 1 MORE if anyone is interested in a Friday-Saturday-Sunday Delorme/ CM trip.

I've got my PQ set to run on Wed. We're also doing a 2 day Delorme run with 2nd day along the Columbia (& picking up the original stash the day before) and then hitting a couple more pages on the way home. Wow, the event dinner will be packed if all the 'will attends' & their posses show up!

Merlyns Ghost

Travis said he will post the final tonight. So far I have not seen it. The bookmark is current as of the last update a couple weeks ago. The information I post a few back was based on that route. As soon, or shortly after, Travis posts the final I'll update the bookmark.

Travis said he will post the final tonight. So far I have not seen it. The bookmark is current as of the last update a couple weeks ago. The information I post a few back was based on that route. As soon, or shortly after, Travis posts the final I'll update the bookmark.

And with 4 minutes to spare, here it is (pdf)! Any changes after this will be announced at dinner on Friday, and then again here shortly after I get knocked out of the poker tournament.

Also, if it's of use to you, here's my Streets & Trips 2009 file, not backwards compatible with 2008.

Just got a few days off, so I am trying to attend.

Anyone know of a good affordable campground nearby? (I could camp in my minivan, so a tent spot works for me.) I've been looking at motels but I'm not thrilled by what I has researched. Heck, I would even consider someone's driveway as long as the neighborhood is good.

Where is the start/meeting spot on the 20th?

(I would assume GCQAANH Whitman Webcam)

As always, I'll looking for a ride as a navigator or ???\

(Need a good spot to park my van for the day)

Fuzzywhip

And with 4 minutes to spare, here it is (pdf)! Any changes after this will be announced at dinner on Friday, and then again here shortly after I get knocked out of the poker tournament.

Also, if it's of use to you, here's my Streets & Trips 2009 file, not backwards compatible with 2008.

Well I don't have time tonight and I need to take my Dad to the doctors tomorrow morning so I won't get to it before early afternoon. I'll try to have it up probably before supper tomorrow.

Anyone know of a good affordable campground nearby? (I could camp in my minivan, so a tent spot works for me.) I've been looking at motels but I'm not thrilled by what I has researched. Heck, I would even consider someone's driveway as long as the neighborhood is good.

Fuzzywhip

There is a campground on Hwy 12 before Touchet. I don't know the name of it and can't seem to find it on any search engine. I know nothing about it except I have seen the sign and sometimes see travel trailers parked there. Probably 25 minutes from WW. I don't know of any in Walla Walla anymore. I will try to ask around.

Fuzzywhip

There is a campground on Hwy 12 before Touchet. I don't know the name of it and can't seem to find it on any search engine. I know nothing about it except I have seen the sign and sometimes see travel trailers parked there. Probably 25 minutes from WW. I don't know of any in Walla Walla anymore. I will try to ask around.

I did another search and came up with this:

Public Campgrounds: There are no public campgrounds within the City of Walla Walla. Some out-dated web information indicates a camping facility within Fort Walla Walla Park, adjacent to the Museum. The City of Walla Walla closed the site in 2003.

Private Campgrounds that include tent camping

Blue Valley RV Park is located at 50 West George Street, just north of U.S. Highway 12. From the West-take 2nd Avenue exit. From the East-take Rees Avenue Exit. Coming from the South, follow the truck route on 9th Street to Pine, go right to 2nd Avenue and follow the signs.Blue Valley RV Park offers 60 Large back-in sites that accommodate slide-outs; 20/30/50 amp electric, water, sewer, cable TV, patios, and picnic tables at each site;

Wi-Fi available in entire park; 21 tent sites with water and electricity available; 24-hour restrooms, showers, and laundry; 7# bags of ice for sale, plus vending machines of Pepsi and Coke; Coffee, book exchange, TV, fireplace, pool table, and game table in the lobby; Local telephone in the Frontier laundry room. It is just west of the Veterans Memorial Golf Course. Call locally at 509-525-8282 / Toll Free at 866-855-8282 or email to stay@bluevalleyrv.com.

Pierce's Green Valley RV Park & Campground, 24676 W. Hwy 12, Touchet, WA (509)394-2387 is located west of Walla Walla, just off US Hwy 12, about 25 miles from the Museum. Tent camping is available. It is located by the Walla Walla River, south of Hwy 12.

Freewater RV Park, 112 NE 5th Ave, Milton-Freewater, OR (541) 938-7344 is located to the south of Walla Walla, about 10 miles from the Museum. Tent camping is available.

There will be a lunch during the cache machine. Lunch will be at N 46 02.836 W 118 21.819
We are will be located in the park for finds #60-69....near #68. Most definitely stop by for cache-machine nourishment.

Thanks for doing this. I was so weary last night that I forgot to announce the Sunday lunch stop, but it's on the route as stop #61.

Hopefully, we'll be ahead of schedule so we'll be able to get there before 2:00 :)

Fuzzywhip

I did another search and came up with this:

Public Campgrounds: There are no public campgrounds within the City of Walla Walla. Some out-dated web information indicates a camping facility within Fort Walla Walla Park, adjacent to the Museum. The City of Walla Walla closed the site in 2003.

Private Campgrounds that include tent camping

Blue Valley RV Park is located at 50 West George Street, just north of U.S. Highway 12. From the West-take 2nd Avenue exit. From the East-take Rees Avenue Exit. Coming from the South, follow the truck route on 9th Street to Pine, go right to 2nd Avenue and follow the signs.Blue Valley RV Park offers 60 Large back-in sites that accommodate slide-outs; 20/30/50 amp electric, water, sewer, cable TV, patios, and picnic tables at each site;

Wi-Fi available in entire park; 21 tent sites with water and electricity available; 24-hour restrooms, showers, and laundry; 7# bags of ice for sale, plus vending machines of Pepsi and Coke; Coffee, book exchange, TV, fireplace, pool table, and game table in the lobby; Local telephone in the Frontier laundry room. It is just west of the Veterans Memorial Golf Course. Call locally at 509-525-8282 / Toll Free at 866-855-8282 or email to stay@bluevalleyrv.com.

Pierce's Green Valley RV Park & Campground, 24676 W. Hwy 12, Touchet, WA (509)394-2387 is located west of Walla Walla, just off US Hwy 12, about 25 miles from the Museum. Tent camping is available. It is located by the Walla Walla River, south of Hwy 12.

Freewater RV Park, 112 NE 5th Ave, Milton-Freewater, OR (541) 938-7344 is located to the south of Walla Walla, about 10 miles from the Museum. Tent camping is available.

Here's one more, can't find a website for it:

RV Resort Four Seasons

1440 Dalles Military Road, Walla Walla, WA 99362-9524

(509) 529-6072‎

My bookmark list in post #5 is back up. It reflects the changes published last night. For some reason #101, GC24MH2 Down by The Stone Creek will not show up on the bookmark list. I added it once, and it now says it is on the list, but I can not see it listed on the list. I downloaded a PQ and it is there, the bookmark list also shows up on the cache page. So I guess it is there. I hope some day TPTB get this bookmark software working right.

Jim

My bookmark list in post #5 is back up. It reflects the changes published last night. For some reason #101, GC24MH2 Down by The Stone Creek will not show up on the bookmark list. I added it once, and it now says it is on the list, but I can not see it listed on the list. I downloaded a PQ and it is there, the bookmark list also shows up on the cache page. So I guess it is there. I hope some day TPTB get this bookmark software working right.

Jim

Awesome Jim. Thanks for the solid work. We'll see you Saturday, maybe Friday night.

I saw 14 and 61 were deleted. I assume they were nixed and those missing numbers are intentional?

No, they are the routing points Travis uses to force the route with S&T. They are not caches. #14 is a autorouting point, #61 is actually the lunch stop. Since they are not caches I can not include them on the bookmark.

Jim

I see that #101, GC24MH2 Down by the Stone Creek has decided to show up on the bookmark list, so all should be cool at this point.

This will be our first cache machine, so I am still trying to figure out how it all works. I noticed that the pocket query has 114 caches but the pdf draft only has 111. Did I miss the newest one in the forum or will there be an updated pdf before Friday. Or should I just download that one and make the changes on it? TKS! ~Jen (meandbrea)

This will be our first cache machine, so I am still trying to figure out how it all works. I noticed that the pocket query has 114 caches but the pdf draft only has 111. Did I miss the newest one in the forum or will there be an updated pdf before Friday. Or should I just download that one and make the changes on it? TKS! ~Jen (meandbrea)

The PDF that Travis posted has 116 stops. With one for forcing routing on S&T and one for lunch, both of which are not caches the total of 114 in the PQ sounds correct. Recheck the PDF you have.

The PDF that Travis posted has 116 stops. With one for forcing routing on S&T and one for lunch, both of which are not caches the total of 114 in the PQ sounds correct. Recheck the PDF you have.

P.S. Travis will not be posting another one. He will announce changes at the pre-event (poker) dinner. Depending on how much he wins at poker he may or may not post updates.

P.S. Travis will not be posting another one. He will announce changes at the pre-event (poker) dinner. Depending on how much he wins at poker he may or may not post updates.

LOL!! Sounds good! TKS :anibad:

My bookmark list in post #5 is back up. It reflects the changes published last night. For some reason #101, GC24MH2 Down by The Stone Creek will not show up on the bookmark list.
I see that #101, GC24MH2 Down by the Stone Creek has decided to show up on the bookmark list, so all should be cool at this point.
Thanks yet again, jholly, for setting this up. Sorry that GC24MH2 gave you trouble, especially since removing it from the route is the only change I've got planned so far (steep brambly worse than 2-star terrain).

We are newbies with only 40 finds and a brand new Delorme p-40 bought about an hour ago. Excited to try it out on the cache machine.
Newbies are welcome, but be sure not to extrapolate this experience out to regular caching, or you'll be very disappointed when you end up finding less than three caches in an hour next week :D

Depending on how much he wins at poker [Travis] may or may not post updates.
If my poker wins were inversely proportional to my caching, I'd have 10,000 caches by now. As it is, I'm happy when I break even for the year. B)

The lunch stop in Ft. Walla Walla Park will be available from 1 pm to 3:30 pm, so stop by while on the route. Look for the picnic shelter in the park and you will find us flipping the burgers!
With Walla Walla onions?

Holy smokes. Two days before Chehalis, we had 70 "will attends" and ended up with 102 attending, marking my second highest CM attendance ever. It's two days before Walla Walla, and we've got 87 "will attends".

We've never had 87 "will attends". The highest was 83 for Yakima II.

This is gonna be a busy weekend.

Anybody from the eastside up for a 1/2 cache machine? I was planning to go to WWCM, but can't get out of my other responsibilities on Friday evening. I've been waiting to know for sure before posting on the event page. That being said, I'm strongly considering driving over on Saturday morning for the last half of the machine and dinner, returning to the eastside afterwards.

Can meet up at the Issaquah Highlands Park and Ride, or the Issaquah Park and Ride, I'm thinking 8AM or so. (I'm in Sammamish.) Got room for 1 comfortably, 2 if one rides in the extended cab. (F150 pickup)

Anybody want to ride along for what is going to be a long (fun) day?

Guess I'll cross post to the event page too. Email me form the profile page. First come, first served.

McLaughlin's Marauders

Anybody from the eastside up for a 1/2 cache machine? I was planning to go to WWCM, but can't get out of my other responsibilities on Friday evening. I've been waiting to know for sure before posting on the event page. That being said, I'm strongly considering driving over on Saturday morning for the last half of the machine and dinner, returning to the eastside afterwards.

Can meet up at the Issaquah Highlands Park and Ride, or the Issaquah Park and Ride, I'm thinking 8AM or so. (I'm in Sammamish.) Got room for 1 comfortably, 2 if one rides in the extended cab. (F150 pickup)

Guess I'll cross post to the event page too. Email me form the profile page. First come, first served.

McLaughlin's Marauders

If I wasn't on-call and in so much pain, I'd love to reproduce the Wenatchee CM...another time...

McLaughlin's Marauders

If I wasn't on-call and in so much pain, I'd love to reproduce the Wenatchee CM...another time...

It'd be a blast, but I know what you mean. Since RouteMonkey joined the Marine Corps, I'm needing a new navigator.

McLaughlin's Marauders

It'd be a blast, but I know what you mean. Since RouteMonkey joined the Marine Corps, I'm needing a new navigator.

I almost asked about the Monkey. Tell him Congrats and "Thank You" for his service!!!

The lunch stop in Ft. Walla Walla Park will be available from 1 pm to 3:30 pm, so stop by while on the route. Look for the picnic shelter in the park and you will find us flipping the burgers!
With Walla Walla onions?

Well..... it is too early for Walla Walla Sweets. Come back in June!