Walla Walla Cache Machine

travisl

(Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.) (Link to dinner event cache.)

Walla Walla: the town so nice they named it twice. They've got onions, they've got wine, and they've got caches. Adam West grew up here and Bugs Bunny called upon the power of the town's name as a protection from vampires. You're not going to the state penitentiary -- you're going caching!

Yup yup. We're heading to what was once the largest city in Washington Territory. Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and meet a mob of fellow cachers at sunrise on Saturday, March 20, at 6:30 a.m.

Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

If you're still out on the road at dinner time (7:00 p.m.), skip the rest of the route and come on in. Socializing at dinner is one of the best parts of machine events (and that's coming from me -- someone who usually hates socializing). There will be travel bugs to discover, pizza to gorge yourself, and more geocachers to commiserate with than you can shake a walking stick at. The most important rule:

As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it.

For any micro cache with a tiny logbook that we find on the event, one "WWCM" log entry should suffice for the group. We tend to fill up log books too quickly, and our stickers tend to make micro log books hard to re-stash. For normal-sized caches, or even large micros (like key holders), everyone should sign in.

Bring FRS radios if you’ve got them. We’ll use Channel 2 to communicate among caching vehicles and to say 'Howdy' to listening locals. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint.

----

The Walla Walla Cache Machine FAQ:

When is it?

6:30 a.m., Saturday, March 20, 2010. Latecomers can track us down en route.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We start the day as one giant group at a web cam -- say cheese! Then it's on to the next one as a group, which means we'll hopefully find each cache quickly. The group tends to fragment after the first few caches, though. The longer we can keep the big group together, the more fun it is!

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

- Friday, March 19, 7:00 p.m., come to the COWWS Poker event, 201 E. Rees (N 46° 04.650 W 118° 20.309). Last minute route changes will be announced here.

- Saturday, March 20, at 7:00 p.m., dinner will be at Lorenzo's Pizza, 1415 Plaza Way (N 46° 03.039 W 118° 20.735). I've created an event page for this dinner event.

- Sunday, you're on your own. Go get the ones you missed.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet. Monitor FRS channel 2.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I'm skipping a lot. I'll be avoiding most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I'll work with the cache owner to minimize our impact, or skip the cache altogether.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

Lunch: You should probably bring a sack lunch to eat on the road.

Breaks and Bathrooms: There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Here is my bookmark list for the cache machine. When the event cache gets published I'll add it to the list. As Travisl makes changes I'll track them on the list.

Sweet. Thanks again, as always.

I noticed that #99, Home Run, is temporarily disabled. The cache owner did note that the container will be replaced. #104, Walla Walla, WA Creek Series:Stone Creek is looking pretty shaky, 5 DNF's in a row and a NA log.

Yup. I've been working with the cache owner of Home Run, and know I'll get info on it as the event approaches. And #104 I've already marked with a frowny face icon on the map, and will remove it from the route the week before if it's still in such bad shape.

Here is my bookmark list for the cache machine. When the event cache gets published I'll add it to the list. As Travisl makes changes I'll track them on the list.

Sweet. Thanks again, as always.

I noticed that #99, Home Run, is temporarily disabled. The cache owner did note that the container will be replaced. #104, Walla Walla, WA Creek Series:Stone Creek is looking pretty shaky, 5 DNF's in a row and a NA log.

Yup. I've been working with the cache owner of Home Run, and know I'll get info on it as the event approaches. And #104 I've already marked with a frowny face icon on the map, and will remove it from the route the week before if it's still in such bad shape.

Another that might need a bit of watching is #94, Walla Walla, WA. Creek Series: Yellowhawk Creek. The logs are not very encouraging.

I see the event dinner is published, so it is now on the bookmark list.

Edited by jholly

At stage 45, "Along Myra" is named that way because Myra Road now goes clear through from Hwy 125 to Hwy 12. Also, at least as of today, the stretch of 13th street between Pine and Rose is closed due to construction. Again, no telling what it'll be a month from now, but it might be better to head south from stage 45 down the uncharted Myra Road, then turn left on Rose to pick up 46 and 47.

Speaking of 47, There's not really a street that goes there, and it definitely does not go through to Poplar. It's a big vacant lot and a sort of semi-paved stretch that'll get you close.

Thanks, bream_rockmetteller. I'll incorporate almost all of these changes into the next draft. I've e-mailed the Walla Walla streets department asking when 13th St. is projected to open. And also...

Stages 82 and 83 are at two ends of the same parking lot, and I'm not so sure that there's an entrance from Lamperti. Might be better to follow Lamperti to Meadowbrook, pick up 83 first then 82.

Looking at the satellite photos, there's a clear entrance into the WalMart parking lot from Lamperti. My mapping software can't route from one point to another without roads, but I'm expecting the route will be really obvious from 82 to 83 once we get there.

For what it's worth, I'm having a heck of a time finding a cheap hotel that I'd be willing to stay at. I've usually been able to find a good name-your-own Priceline price by now, but I'm up to $56 with no luck. La Quinta shows rooms at lq.com for $75, and Best Western had rooms for $66 until this weekend, but now they're listed as sold out.

From the reviews at TripAdvisor.com, I'd avoid the Vineyard Inn ("bedbugs! ... we are talking HUNDREDS!", "Everything was old, run down, leaking or broken", "moved to 4 different rooms as doors didn't lock, water wouldn't shut off in the shower etc. The pool ... was full of green slimy algae", "Someone broke into our room. The door locks do not work", "feces smeared on the shower curtain and some on the floor").

I'd also avoid the Travelodge, due to this thrilling review:

I was visiting due to a family reunion and found the place’s prices to be most convenient for my wallet. The scene played out before me when I actually arrived at the travel lodge was quite an inconvenience, however. The man at the desk was completely disoriented, seemingly drugged up, and spoke in a harsh Russian accent. He used mild expletives during the duration of me claiming the room I was assigned. When he showed me to my room, he allowed me to enter into the fouled air of the space and entered in behind me, slamming the door. The door proceeded to slam back open because it was in terrible condition. He then closed it and held it in place with his hairy palms. He looked me in the eye and in broken English he asked me if I liked to party. I completely shot down his advances of “partying” and something pronounced “amalneesux”. He walked away more disgruntled than ever, slamming the door a final time until it broke off the hinges. At that point I chased him down the walk way and demanded he present to me another room. He absolutely refused and almost appeared as if he was going to fight me right then in there. A woman stepped in, uniformed as a housekeeper, and showed me a decent room on the other side of the building. At least it was a decent room until you stepped into the bathroom. I found a woman passed out wearing a red dress with raccoon eyes and a tear in her panty hose. I immediately screamed and she woke up in a daze, immediately lighting a cigarette. I yelled for her to get out and she literally crawled out of the door. Which was a blessing to the state of the floor since she appeared to have rubbed off some of the dirt with her knee caps.

The only reason I continued to stay there was because it was too late to look at other places to stay and I was only there for one night. I made myself optimistic, looking forward to seeing family in the morning, and went to bed early. I dozed on and off when the last time I woke up, a strange feeling overcame me. I opened my eyes and I could see the Russian guy smoking in the corner by the door! He had been watching me sleep for who knows how long. I screamed not for the first time that day and threw a shoe right at his smoking mouth. I switch on a light to find him bleeding profusely from the nose. He hollered at me in broken English mixed with angry Russian. I pushed him out the door and bolted it. I packed up all my things and called for a cab. I had, had enough. The only time I came back was to dispute an extra clean up charge for the bloody mess the creepy Russian innkeeper had left. The charge was taken off and I was offered a continental breakfast, which I absolutely declined because I didn’t want food poisoning.

By contrast, the worst reviews for La Quinta are about the dark small basement rooms.

I also considered looking in Pendleton (mmm... poker at Wildhorse...), but that's an hour drive each way.

Also on my short list: Capri Motel and Colonial Motel. I've got no idea what their rates are, though. If someone has time to check them out, please let me know!

Between the time I first started looking for a hotel room & when I actually booked one, the LaQuinta ran out of double queen rooms. So my friend & I are now sharing a King room (military discount $70 a night). I believe the Super 8 still had rooms and were about the same price, but I haven't checked recently. I'd feel comfortable there probably. Most of them are clean & in good areas. If anyone is looking for hotel rooms, they'd better book soon!

Now it looks like Super 8 has some sort of a winter promo going on. $53 before taxes per night, 2 night minimum. Looks like I might have to change hotels.....

Thanks for the Super 8 intel; I booked my room there a month ago at AAA rate, which is more ($67). Just found the cheaper rate online - $46 w/ 1 queen bed - and switched reservations. Total is $101.98 with tax for 2 nights.

Edited by hydnsek

Now it looks like Super 8 has some sort of a winter promo going on. $53 before taxes per night, 2 night minimum. Looks like I might have to change hotels.....

Thanks for the Super 8 intel; I booked my room there a month ago at AAA rate, which is more ($67). Just found the cheaper rate online - $46 w/ 1 queen bed - and switched reservations. Total is $101.98 with tax for 2 nights.

Yep - I guess I should've said mine was for 2 queen beds. Didn't think about that.

For what it's worth, I'm having a heck of a time finding a cheap hotel that I'd be willing to stay at. I've usually been able to find a good name-your-own Priceline price by now, but I'm up to $56 with no luck. La Quinta shows rooms at lq.com for $75, and Best Western had rooms for $66 until this weekend, but now they're listed as sold out.

From the reviews at TripAdvisor.com, I'd avoid the Vineyard Inn ("bedbugs! ... we are talking HUNDREDS!", "Everything was old, run down, leaking or broken", "moved to 4 different rooms as doors didn't lock, water wouldn't shut off in the shower etc. The pool ... was full of green slimy algae", "Someone broke into our room. The door locks do not work", "feces smeared on the shower curtain and some on the floor").

I'd also avoid the Travelodge, due to this thrilling review:

I was visiting due to a family reunion and found the place’s prices to be most convenient for my wallet. The scene played out before me when I actually arrived at the travel lodge was quite an inconvenience, however. The man at the desk was completely disoriented, seemingly drugged up, and spoke in a harsh Russian accent. He used mild expletives during the duration of me claiming the room I was assigned. When he showed me to my room, he allowed me to enter into the fouled air of the space and entered in behind me, slamming the door. The door proceeded to slam back open because it was in terrible condition. He then closed it and held it in place with his hairy palms. He looked me in the eye and in broken English he asked me if I liked to party. I completely shot down his advances of “partying” and something pronounced “amalneesux”. He walked away more disgruntled than ever, slamming the door a final time until it broke off the hinges. At that point I chased him down the walk way and demanded he present to me another room. He absolutely refused and almost appeared as if he was going to fight me right then in there. A woman stepped in, uniformed as a housekeeper, and showed me a decent room on the other side of the building. At least it was a decent room until you stepped into the bathroom. I found a woman passed out wearing a red dress with raccoon eyes and a tear in her panty hose. I immediately screamed and she woke up in a daze, immediately lighting a cigarette. I yelled for her to get out and she literally crawled out of the door. Which was a blessing to the state of the floor since she appeared to have rubbed off some of the dirt with her knee caps.

The only reason I continued to stay there was because it was too late to look at other places to stay and I was only there for one night. I made myself optimistic, looking forward to seeing family in the morning, and went to bed early. I dozed on and off when the last time I woke up, a strange feeling overcame me. I opened my eyes and I could see the Russian guy smoking in the corner by the door! He had been watching me sleep for who knows how long. I screamed not for the first time that day and threw a shoe right at his smoking mouth. I switch on a light to find him bleeding profusely from the nose. He hollered at me in broken English mixed with angry Russian. I pushed him out the door and bolted it. I packed up all my things and called for a cab. I had, had enough. The only time I came back was to dispute an extra clean up charge for the bloody mess the creepy Russian innkeeper had left. The charge was taken off and I was offered a continental breakfast, which I absolutely declined because I didn’t want food poisoning.

By contrast, the worst reviews for La Quinta are about the dark small basement rooms.

I also considered looking in Pendleton (mmm... poker at Wildhorse...), but that's an hour drive each way.

Also on my short list: Capri Motel and Colonial Motel. I've got no idea what their rates are, though. If someone has time to check them out, please let me know!

That sounds like it's out of some kind of bad 50's movie! ;)

Yep - I guess I should've said mine was for 2 queen beds. Didn't think about that.

I couldn't find that rate, but just booked the Super 8 for $55.19 ($121.76 total). I'm going to keep looking, and cancel if necessary. I was already up to $60 on Priceline.

I couldn't find that rate, but just booked the Super 8 for $55.19 ($121.76 total). I'm going to keep looking, and cancel if necessary. I was already up to $60 on Priceline.

Wow! That went quick. They're still showing a winter promo rate, but they've hiked up the prices!! That's nearly what it was before without the promo. Must be selling rooms out. Glad I grabbed it when I did.

Edited by Lizzy

I just booked a room at the Capri for $46.00 a night, single queen, non smoking; that's the total price, including taxes. Pics online looked decent, and the woman I spoke with sounded nice....the way I see it, I am just gonna be there long enough to sleep in between caching...so I hope for the best and throw in! You should have seen the place I stayed in for the Vancouver cache machine....I told no one. They would have thought I had joined the underworld....but again, it WAS cheap...and I spent very little time there. Hmmmm...I should have place a cache there!!

I just booked a room at the Capri for $46.00 a night, single queen, non smoking; that's the total price, including taxes.

Nice. I just canceled my $121 Motel 6 room and got two nights at the Capri for $93.20. Thanks for the tip. I didn't check to see if their internet access was free, but a TripAdvisor review from March 2008 says it was.

Here are the amenities listed on the home page...(for the Capri)

Coffee maker, Refrigerator & Microwave in each room

•Seasonal Heated Outdoor Pool

•Wireless Internet

•Dataports

•HBO/Cable

•Free Local Calls

•Non-Smoking Rooms, and separate section of Smoking Rooms

•Plenty of Convenient Parking

•Family and Commercial Discounts

Okay. Cutting out of work Friday and have a kitchen pass all weekend. I am driving myself, AND/OR LOOKING FOR A PARTNER. Here's the catch: My route out and back is focused on the DELORME CHALLENGE for WA state. I'm also trying to knock out a few counties. So.....

Grids 62, 63, 77, 76, 91, 90, 92, 78, 79, 93, 94, 95, 103B, 103A, 102, 101, 89, 100, 88.

<_< Ambitious, yes, I know. But those of you who know me know if it's worth doing, it should be done with some grandure. Starting in Tacoma Friday morning. And I am trying to make the Poker Tourney the night before the CM. Anyone interested, contact me through geocaching. It's always more fun with others.

Edited by combatnurse2003

Construction update: 13th Avenue between Dell Ave and Cherry Street will be closed for the next 6 to 8 weeks for a long overdue rebuild. I was in that area the other day and 13th was under construction all the way south to Rose Street.

The Capri is a good no frills motel. It's off the beaten path which is why the room rates are low but it's in a safe neighborhood. Best access from US12 is off of Wilbur then right on Melrose. Wellington Ave. does not intersect with 12 but runs under it.

Capri Motel Reviews

Edited by Bluesman63
Construction update: 13th Avenue between Dell Ave and Cherry Street will be closed for the next 6 to 8 weeks for a long overdue rebuild. I was in that area the other day and 13th was under construction all the way south to Rose Street.

Thanks. I contacted City of Walla Walla Engineering about this last week, and they sent me a map of the closure, confirming what you've written above. I've modified my draft route accordingly, and will post Draft 2 next week.

(It's been an interesting exercise to try to get MapPoint to route down a street that doesn't exist in their system in lieu of 13th. I'm hoping the results will be understandable.)

Thanks. I contacted City of Walla Walla Engineering about this last week, and they sent me a map of the closure, confirming what you've written above. I've modified my draft route accordingly, and will post Draft 2 next week.

(It's been an interesting exercise to try to get MapPoint to route down a street that doesn't exist in their system in lieu of 13th. I'm hoping the results will be understandable.)

I just updated Map Source and the new Myra Road extension from Rose north to 12 has not been added yet. Wondering if they are waiting for the new highway route and interchange to be completed before they update the maps?

I just updated Map Source and the new Myra Road extension from Rose north to 12 has not been added yet. Wondering if they are waiting for the new highway route and interchange to be completed before they update the maps?

It's on Google maps, but not Bing maps yet. We're so spoiled with quick map updates, compared to 10 years ago.

OK - draft 2 is out a little earlier than I expected. Take a look! I think I've incorporated all the suggestions from above and from e-mail and Facebook conversations. Let me know if I missed anything. Minor concerns I have:

- As mentioned above, I've had to navigate around the construction. Is it confusing that there's no stops 54 and 55? Do my obvious amateurish map edits there make sense?

- Stop 25, End-of-the-Road Bonus, is my best guess as to route placement. If you've already found this one, does it make sense to place it between the stops in Rooks Park and the stops at Walla Walla Community College, or should it instead be among the airport stops?

Possible problems --

#105 - GC1H7HZ, Walla Walla, WA. Creek Series: Yellowhawk **been gone for a while, now has a maintenance request

#110 - GC19B6D, Home Run ** has a log indicating the container will be replaced

#114 - GC201C5, Pick Up Your Mess

#115 - GC1GHZG, Walla Walla, WA. Creek Series:Stone Creek ** has a needs archive log filed.

Are there any other events listed in the area that we can attend?

COWWS Poker: Walla Walla the night before.

Yeah, if you're in town in time, stop by the poker game. It is doubling as the pre-cache machine dinner and will be a lot of fun. If you play, that's great, but stop by even if you don't. Travis will have any changes for the route and you can chat and find people to hang with during the cache machine.

Yeah, if you're in town in time, stop by the poker game. It is doubling as the pre-cache machine dinner and will be a lot of fun. If you play, that's great, but stop by even if you don't. Travis will have any changes for the route and you can chat and find people to hang with during the cache machine.

Will my six year old little cacher be able to come with me to the poker event? I want to try and play but cant is she cant come.

Will my six year old little cacher be able to come with me to the poker event? I want to try and play but cant is she cant come.

Yes, children are welcome. We will have coloring books for them to use during the event.

Yes, children are welcome. We will have coloring books for them to use during the event.

Well then I'm ALL IN!