new cacher logging old finds

stagunner

recently we have been getting logs from a cacher who has created an account in the past few weeks.

They have now proceeded to log all the finds that they were at or apparently at. To make it clearer, the person visited the cache with a cacher several months ago, even years, and is now claiming all the visits as finds,

for the reviewers,, is this practice allowed, as I do not now if it fits the guidelines

I understand that some folks do want to claim their finds, but they may not have followed the rules

recently we have been getting logs from a cacher who has created an account in the past few weeks.

They have now proceeded to log all the finds that they were at or apparently at. To make it clearer, the person visited the cache with a cacher several months ago, even years, and is now claiming all the visits as finds,

for the reviewers,, is this practice allowed, as I do not now if it fits the guidelines

I understand that some folks do want to claim their finds, but they may not have followed the rules

From what I understand, the reviewers main job is to review new caches, and publish them if they meet the guidelines.

As a cache owner, it's your responsibility to determine if a log meets the requirements for your cache. If it doesn't, I believe you have the right to delete any Found It (or otherwise) log entry.

FWIW, there are loads of people who are doing exactly what you describe. Maybe they tagged along with a registered cacher before they became a member themselves....this happens all the time with kids who used to cahce with their parents and now want their own account. Maybe they signed the log book, maybe they didn't.

At the end of the day it's up to you to decide what you want to do about the log entries.

For me...I'll let anybody log a find in this manner. To me it's just a game, with few rules. I'm not going to impose my own rules to take away from the fun of somebody else. If they are lying and just logging a bunch of ghost finds...I really couldn't care less...they're only fooling themselves and it isn't hurting me or the caching community in any way. There are no prizes in this game. Just personal satisfaction.

Your mileage may vary. :ph34r:

-TT-

Edited by TrimblesTrek

I agree with TT... it's a game... if you want to claim you found 361 caches in 4 different countries thousands of miles apart all on the same day (I am trying to say that if you wanna claim the impossible) LOL go for it....

If that's what makes you feel good.... LOL

I am NOT implying that is what this person is doing... but I do not believe the cache reviewers should be responsible to verify visits either. A cache owner could go through a log book and verify each entry I guess - that is within the guidelines (you have to sign the log), so you could delete logs based on that and I believe it would be responsible... but I prefer to let people police themselves... besides if you are just logging caches to log caches then the novelty will soon ware off and the person will fade away.

DD

From what I understand, the reviewers main job is to review new caches, and publish them if they meet the guidelines.

As a cache owner, it's your responsibility to determine if a log meets the requirements for your cache. If it doesn't, I believe you have the right to delete any Found It (or otherwise) log entry.

FWIW, there are loads of people who are doing exactly what you describe. Maybe they tagged along with a registered cacher before they became a member themselves....this happens all the time with kids who used to cahce with their parents and now want their own account. Maybe they signed the log book, maybe they didn't.

At the end of the day it's up to you to decide what you want to do about the log entries.

For me...I'll let anybody log a find in this manner. To me it's just a game, with few rules. I'm not going to impose my own rules to take away from the fun of somebody else. If they are lying and just logging a bunch of ghost finds...I really couldn't care less...they're only fooling themselves and it isn't hurting me or the caching community in any way. There are no prizes in this game. Just personal satisfaction.

Your mileage may vary. :ph34r:

-TT-

It happens all of the time. My family just used to cache under my caching account and we used to just sign res2100 in the log books. Then one day my son asked if he could have his own account and we had to go back and log over 1000 caches for him. Then my mom asked for the same thing and had to do it again. Luckily I kept track of which caches they found.

I doubt anyone would waste their time logging fake finds.

It happens all of the time. My family just used to cache under my caching account and we used to just sign res2100 in the log books. Then one day my son asked if he could have his own account and we had to go back and log over 1000 caches for him. Then my mom asked for the same thing and had to do it again. Luckily I kept track of which caches they found.

I doubt anyone would waste their time logging fake finds.

Yeah, my son (10 1/2) has been caching with me since about age 5. He may very well ask for an account some day. I'll bet it would be at least 300-400 finds right now. Fortunately, I know for a fact that my wife and daughter will never ask for an account. :tongue:

There was actually a 1-2 year time period where this website would not allow username changes under any circumstances, and people were forced to re-log all their old finds!! I've lost track of time, but this was probably around 2006 or 2007.

I guess I'm just adding my voice that people do this all the time, and it's no big deal. Even though I suppose these new usernames rarely show up in the paper logbooks in the cache.

If you want to police your own caches, you can go to each of them and check the logbook yourself. If there name is in there then they rightfully are able to log it. If their name isn't in there, you choose your next step.

For me, it wouldn't be worth my while to worry about it. If they are lying, who does it hurt? If they are truthfully logging their finds, why spoil their fun?

Thanks but I think that this is going to be a normal happening.

I am sure we would like every cacher to sign the log as part of the game.

But as mentioned in several other forums caching teams do not always remain together, My wife and I started caching together but she has started to gain more FTF than me and wanted to proudly show that fact,,

She has her own account now and is considering logging all the finds we had together,,

I am not going to go to every cache I have and verify all the logs,, It would take me a very long time, I will be doing a maintenance run on some later in the spring,,

Let's play the game and have lots of fun doing it,,

like others said, its a game

could be that people pick the wrong day, could be that they log a find without signing the physical log

if its the latter so what?...let them be, they obviously don't get it that caching is not really about how many finds you have, its them that miss out on the real fun of geocaching, not me as a CO

A friend and her daughter cached together using one account, the daughter finding a lot of the caches. When she got her own GPSr, she also wanted her own account - it took her a long time, but she eventually logged all the caches she was present at....I think the number was in the 500 region. Between them, they are responsible for some really evil, but fun hides.

I also had to log some old finds - when I started geocaching, I had no computer or account but signed the logs with my username-to-be anyway. Luckily, it wasn't already taken! I am sure I missed a few, but what the heck!

I'm not a reviewer. But still I wonder why you ask this question. A person found the cache and didn't log it in time. Now that is corrected. I'm always happy if someone finds and logs my caches online. Acutally this "got a new account and log now" practice happens at least every two to three months with my caches.

Usually there is a story behind: Couple got divorced and he or she gets a new account. Kids get their own account...

The last thing I as the owner would do is delete those logs.

GermanSailor