Iphone GPS combo attack

I originally got into geocaching (just recently) when I discovered an app available for my Iphone. I immediatley was hooked! I love the ease of using the Iphone, the ability to cache on the fly and being able to log notes from the field. What I do not like about the Iphone is the incredibly unpredictable and unstable GPS. More than once I was ready to chuck it into the woods!

So I coughed up a lot of dough and got the Garmin 450 (which I love!). I now use them in combo to geo cache. If I decide to go after work and I was not able to down load a cache to my Garmin I pull up the coordinates on my Iphone, type them into my GPS lickity split and off I go. When I am done I log it in using my Iphone and all is good.

Does anyone else do something similar? If so how is it working for you?

Stricktwodogs

I originally got into geocaching (just recently) when I discovered an app available for my Iphone. I immediatley was hooked! I love the ease of using the Iphone, the ability to cache on the fly and being able to log notes from the field. What I do not like about the Iphone is the incredibly unpredictable and unstable GPS. More than once I was ready to chuck it into the woods!

So I coughed up a lot of dough and got the Garmin 450 (which I love!). I now use them in combo to geo cache. If I decide to go after work and I was not able to down load a cache to my Garmin I pull up the coordinates on my Iphone, type them into my GPS lickity split and off I go. When I am done I log it in using my Iphone and all is good.

Stricktwodogs

I was first introduced to geocaching last summer on a friends iphone. When I got upgraded from an original iPhone to a 3gs, it was the fist app I bought. We used it a lot but were not fans of the GPS accuracy. I bought a 60csx at a pawn shop for $100. Now when me and my girlfriend go caching, we both have something to look at. The interesting part is that the iPhone gets us there quicker (I think it has to do with following the line on the map?), the 60csx gets us closer (more accurate?). Either way we have a great time.

I keep the 200 closest unfound caches loaded into my GPSr. Usually, we can pull up the caches on both at the same time. If we're further away, it takes some more work typing out coordinates. I also like the 60csx for multis. I have yet to have a good experience entering and selecting additional waypoints in the iphone.

M24

Yep I use my Palm Pre smartphone along with my (aging) Garmin Vista Cx GPS receiver, makes for a good combo too :ph34r:

Even for people who just use a smartphone should really consider adding the 2nd device, one that's truly rugged and has much better battery life. Smartphones are too delicate to be romping around the woods with, and most don't even have any sort of lanyard strap to keep it from accidentally falling as you're seeking the cache.

The final perfect marriage will be when someone/ANYONE! brings to market a rugged outdoor rated GPSr that has a bluetooth interface, so you can "beam" the coordinates from the smartphone to the GPSr. Much easier and, no more typos! :ph34r:

Edited by NordicMan

I live in the greater Seattle area and there are 100's and 100's of geocaches to choose from. I live and work over 30 miles apart and I am never sure where I am going to go geo caching so the Iphone has been a savior. Coordinates are pretty easy to type in on my Garmin 450 so I haven't screwed any up yet.

I guess when I get my laptop fixed (more $, more $) I can always dip into a coffee shop with a wireless connection (they are on every corner around here) and download what I need to my GPS but until then I will probably keep doing the tandom thing.

Oregon and iphone user here also. I get weekly pq's of all my unfound caches in the area - which is close to 4K, and load them onto the oregon (this takes 8 queries, delivered over 2 days). For most cache trips, the only thing I'm using the iphone for is posting field notes, which I'm duplicating on the oregon just in case.

Oh - I see your laptop is dead - then you're all set the way it's working currently for you. When you get it fixed, use pocket queries - it'll make life a lot easier!

Oregon and iphone user here also. I get weekly pq's of all my unfound caches in the area - which is close to 4K, and load them onto the oregon (this takes 8 queries, delivered over 2 days). For most cache trips, the only thing I'm using the iphone for is posting field notes, which I'm duplicating on the oregon just in case.

When you load up your pq's each week do you have to delete the ones from the previous week? I did my first bunch of pq's the other day and I am still a bit confused by the whole thing. Need to do some more reading up on exactly how they work.

iPhones are not designed to be as accurate as a GPS. Don't believe me, Try and find a few caches placed by an iPhone Obsessed cacher with his/her iPhone. They are usually WAY off from what say an Oregon or other GPS would show. Caching "iPhone Style" :tongue: is really for FTF obsessed hounds mostly. I would agree with previous posters. Use a GPS. It would be very nice to be able to try and cache anywhere you are or go...although you may not find all of the caches you set out for. Just my $.02 :(

Edited by WHO-DEY

When you load up your pq's each week do you have to delete the ones from the previous week?

Yes, or overrwrite the old ones. If you set up a PQ to get delivered once a week, it comes each week with the same file name. Its just a matter of plugging the oregon into the computer, and dropping the new *.gpx files (after unzipping them) into the (oregon memory)/garmin/gpx/ directory.

Lots of related info here - http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

iPhones are not designed to be as accurate as a GPS. Don't believe me, Try and find a few caches placed by an iPhone Obsessed cacher with his/her iPhone. They are usually WAY off from what say an Oregon or other GPS would show. Caching "iPhone Style" :tongue: is really for FTF obsessed hounds mostly. I would agree with previous posters. Use a GPS. It would be very nice to be able to try and cache anywhere you are or go...although you may not find all of the caches you set out for. Just my $.02 :(

The iPhone 3Gs uses an independant gps chip so even without celular signal to triangulate your coordinates you can easily find a cache. I use nothing but the iPhone to find caches (NOT JUST FTF CACHES, GOOD WAY TO TAKE A CHEAP SHOT AT THOSE WHO CAN GET THEM THOUGH "WHO-DEY") and have nothing but the best results. Usualy when at a cache the iPhone says 1-2 feet away, I think thats incredibly accurate.

I dont think that Groundspeak would have gone through the trouble of developing an app (JUST FOR FTF HOUNDS) that would not work great on a phone if they had not researched the phone capabilities first.

7a224470-c3e0-4528-bbf0-36b342f7bdd2.jpg

Note that the iPhone says 5 feet away from the cache location and the small tube in the ground where the cache is located, (in the middle of an outfield at a baseball field).

My disagreements with the statements made in the quote have been made. I also would like to see the caches placed by an iPhone that the coords are way off, I will go out with the iPhone and a garmin60csx and take pictures of how accurate (or not) these caches are.

Any GC numbers to back this quoted statement????

Edited by TEAM DESERT EAGLE

When you load up your pq's each week do you have to delete the ones from the previous week?

Yes, or overrwrite the old ones. If you set up a PQ to get delivered once a week, it comes each week with the same file name. Its just a matter of plugging the oregon into the computer, and dropping the new *.gpx files (after unzipping them) into the (oregon memory)/garmin/gpx/ directory.

Lots of related info here - http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

sduck - I do the same. It is easy..every Monday they arrive in my email. Drop and go. very nice. :tongue:

The picture was taken at GC128QR a 5 star diff cache yet was found in about 3 minutes using an iPhone.

NOW THATS ACCURATE

I recognize this cache - well I have heard of this one.

I need to go do this one myself with my colorado 300 and see how it compares.

====================================

iPhones are not designed to be as accurate as a GPS. Don't believe me, Try and find a few caches placed by an iPhone Obsessed cacher with his/her iPhone. They are usually WAY off from what say an Oregon or other GPS would show. Caching "iPhone Style" :unsure: is really for FTF obsessed hounds mostly. I would agree with previous posters. Use a GPS. It would be very nice to be able to try and cache anywhere you are or go...although you may not find all of the caches you set out for. Just my $.02 :unsure:

Interesting that you mention this.

On January 12th such a cache was placed. GC22XEP

I found the cache and the difference between my GPSr (Colorado 300) and the iPhone coordinates was an amazing 5ft.

7c3bcc9d-b77d-4171-8653-10128a1ec18b.jpg

And it was a micro to boot so trust me - it can be done.

As for caching iPhone Style - it worked out great for this cache. We were in the area for the webcam, and did not have any other caches loaded in our PQ for that area so we relied on an iPhone. Found the cache and was spot on.

I recognize this cache - well I have heard of this one.

I need to go do this one myself with my colorado 300 and see how it compares.

====================================

GVSU4MSU - GC128QR has been archived since October 2009.

Well, I guess I would be wondering around for a while then wouldn't I? :unsure::unsure::anibad:

Thanks for the 411.

I guess in reality, the iPhone can get us pretty close to most caches. I've had my iPhone count right down to 1ft. a couple of times. The problem with this is that it's not always a foot away. The closest the iPhone will admit to being is + or - 56ft. That's usually close enough to know where to look.

The real problem I have with the iPhone is it takes so long for the GPS to update. There have been times where the iPhone said I was still 100 feet away and I had the cache in hand and open. the iPhone seems to count down 90ft, 60ft, 30ft; while my 60csx counts 15ft, 14ft, 13ft. th iPhone GPS update is like every ten seconds, where the 60csx is only one. That makes a huge difference when your 10ft away.

Like I said before, I have no complaints. It's nice being able to say "I'm bored." and pull up a cache. With the iPhone, I can do that anywhere cause I always have my phone. When I plan a trip, I bring my Garmin with me too and it's another tool.

M24

I guess in reality, the iPhone can get us pretty close to most caches. I've had my iPhone count right down to 1ft. a couple of times. The problem with this is that it's not always a foot away. The closest the iPhone will admit to being is + or - 56ft. That's usually close enough to know where to look.

The real problem I have with the iPhone is it takes so long for the GPS to update. There have been times where the iPhone said I was still 100 feet away and I had the cache in hand and open. the iPhone seems to count down 90ft, 60ft, 30ft; while my 60csx counts 15ft, 14ft, 13ft. th iPhone GPS update is like every ten seconds, where the 60csx is only one. That makes a huge difference when your 10ft away.

Like I said before, I have no complaints. It's nice being able to say "I'm bored." and pull up a cache. With the iPhone, I can do that anywhere cause I always have my phone. When I plan a trip, I bring my Garmin with me too and it's another tool.

M24

having it with you all the imte would be the only advantage for me. the update lag is where I can see some inaccuracy taking place. If FTF is you favorite fairyland...then you will always be in fairyland with a smile on your face. Notifications anywhere you are is the key. Being that I do not care about FTF's, I am great with the Oregon400t.

M24

having it with you all the imte would be the only advantage for me. the update lag is where I can see some inaccuracy taking place. If FTF is you favorite fairyland...then you will always be in fairyland with a smile on your face. Notifications anywhere you are is the key. Being that I do not care about FTF's, I am great with the Oregon400t.

For someone who does not care about the FTF there certainly are a lot of posts about FTF. FTF is elusive. FTF is fun. FTF is hard to get. FTF FTF FTF always posts about FTF.

What does FTF mean anyway.

First to find that coords are off?

First to find that the cache has not been placed yet?

First to find that a cache is 60 miles off from the posted coords?

First to find that cache is on private property?

First to find that you need to wade through a swamp?

First to find a stage missing?

First to find that a cache is way up in a tree?

First to find that a cache is in the middle of a lake?

There is never a great benifit involved in FTF just plain fun and thats what this sport is about FUN!!

Stricktwodogs

I do the same thing with my BlackBerry Curve 8330 except I don't need a separate GPSr to find caches. Almost all of my 950+ finds were made with the 'Berry. I do use an old Garmin GPS 60 for placing caches to get better coords.

Edited by Wooden Cyclist

M24

For someone who does not care about the FTF there certainly are a lot of posts about FTF. FTF is elusive. FTF is fun. FTF is hard to get. FTF FTF FTF always posts about FTF.

What does FTF mean anyway.

First to find that coords are off?

First to find that the cache has not been placed yet?

First to find that a cache is 60 miles off from the posted coords?

First to find that cache is on private property?

First to find that you need to wade through a swamp?

First to find a stage missing?

First to find that a cache is way up in a tree?

First to find that a cache is in the middle of a lake?

There is never a great benifit involved in FTF just plain fun and thats what this sport is about FUN!!

First To Fail could be used for the first DNF. Another local cacher introduced me to that one when we co-First To Failed in an attempt to get an First To Find.

wooden cyclist - every single cacher gets a FTF when the find a cache. As it is their First Time Finding that cache. FTF's are not rare at all. :rolleyes:

According to Geocaching.com's glossary of terms, FTF does not mean First Time Finding, it denotes First to Find a NEW geocache.

Here is a copy and paste from GC's site:

FTF

First to Find. An acronym written by geocachers in physical cache logbooks or online when logging cache finds to denote being the first to find a new geocache.

Here here is the link to that page:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/glossary.aspx

moments ago my 2 year old daughter ran into the living room for an oreo cookie I just set down and told her it was there waiting...she comes running in, big brother on her heels..and she grabs the cookie, and shouts at her 5 year old brother "I GOT IT FIRST". As I sat there watching the mayhem, I found myself pondering how important it was to my little girl to be the FIRST TO FIND the cookie...and the parallels were obvious...

So, rather than mimic my two year old little girl...I will continue my path of caching with my kiddos, and at the end of the day, looking back and enjoy my 100% record of 325 of 325 FTF's, because: every single found cache a cacher gets a is a FTF. As it is our First Time Finding that cache. FTF's are not rare at all. <_<

Edited by WHO-DEY

I find the iphone great for a back up or for finding caches when out and about, it is allso a great storage device for cache information, no more paper and you have instant access to all this in real time. I have found many caches just using the iphone and have noticed it updates at a slower pace than my garmin 60CSx, but using them together is great, you can use google sat to see all the terain around and spot footpaths ect. One of the draw backs is the battery gets eaten up quickly, no problem you can get plug in extra battery packs on ebay doubleing the battery life. I hope this will be of help.

Well, looks like the lack of accuracy usinging the iPhone, not the GC app, for GeoCaching is not so rare. Kind of what I had understood. This is why choosing to hide/place a cache (or find one) with an iPhone would raise a concern for me. :lol:

follow the link below for the review:

geocaching with the iPhone REVIEW

http://www.cornellfinch.com/2010/03/19/geo...ith-the-iphone/

WHO-DEY! :P

Edited by WHO-DEY

I notice the super accurate claims are for caches that are in the wide open and not under heavy tree coverage, I dont think anyone is saying you cant cache with an iphone, but its not even close to being as easy and accurate for most caches plain and simple. I use both my iphone and Colorado 300 and its pretty much certain to find it with these 2.

I notice the super accurate claims are for caches that are in the wide open and not under heavy tree coverage, I dont think anyone is saying you cant cache with an iphone, but its not even close to being as easy and accurate for most caches plain and simple. I use both my iphone and Colorado 300 and its pretty much certain to find it with these 2.

I agree with that. You can do it, you can find a cache with a cell phone. Especially if you are a pseudo-veteran cacher, you likely will find most, just because you have a feel for where to look if you get within 100-300 feet.

Edited by WHO-DEY

For what it's worth, I just purchased a GlobalSat BT-359 bluetooth GPS puck for my Verizon-crippled BB Curve 8330. It works great and the accuracy is <3 meters (10 feet). I don't know if it will ever replace my Legend HCX but it certainly has opened up some options. The free Blackstar geocaching program is great for getting nearby caches and descriptions (as well as logging) as long as you have cell reception.

My 3GS under canopy is a bit of a challenge and 'gets stuck' sometimes without updating for 20 seconds or so - but if you realize you're not updating you just stop and try and give it a better skyview until you get some action.

One thing it does do badly is accuracy reporting. It will frequently be ludicrously pessimistic even though the display will say you're 1m from a cache and you actually are more or less 1m from a cache. That's happened several times now. Sometimes when you're on top of a cache (say within a 10-15 m circle) the iPhone compass/navigate-to-cache will start to behave very erratically - but even that can be used as a tool letting you know you're on top of the cache and it's time to look around the old-fashioned way (or take time to revisit the photos, hints and description via the iPhone Geocaching app to help you out.) I really like the Geocaching app, and the paperless aspect of using the iPhone, but am moving to a standalone GPSr to use in conjuction with the iPhone - somewhat due to accuracy considerations - but mostly due to very poor battery life when using the iPhone GPS function. Very poor indeed. You can almost watch the battery guage count down to zero like watching a launch from Cape Kennedy.

Given all the above using iPhone to find a cache has been very fun and very rewarding - thanks in no small part to the Geocaching app. I would not use one to *place* a cache, though, as a personal preference - despite having read some success stories courtesy of other users. :D

Edited by Wolf at the Door