USGS data?

TillaMurphs

Does the US Geological Survey maintain a database or any source of documentation on their early/mid 20th century marks?

Others here have done a lot of USGS hunting - I believe 2/3Marine is still doing it, at least.

As far as I know, they don't have it electronicized. You have to write into the office handling your area and request copies of them. :ph34r:

... You have to write into the office handling your area and request copies of them. :ph34r:

Yes, that is still the case. They have to go into their filing cabinets, get the info on marks in the quad you request, and they send it to you via US mail. I've done recoveries on their marks in twenty-plus 7.5 Quad areas. Interesting to find a chiseled square on a small bridge in the farmlands of Illinois, let alone the actual survey disks.

... You have to write into the office handling your area and request copies of them. :ph34r:

Yes, that is still the case. They have to go into their filing cabinets, get the info on marks in the quad you request, and they send it to you via US mail. I've done recoveries on their marks in twenty-plus 7.5 Quad areas. Interesting to find a chiseled square on a small bridge in the farmlands of Illinois, let alone the actual survey disks.

CoyoteTrust,

Do you just send them a letter and say: “can you send me information on a mark at this (coordinates) location”?

Do you send information back to them if you recover the mark?

Thanks,

By the way, I like your name and the story behind it.

- - The TillaMurphs

After posting a link to that thread - Black Dog has doomed TillaMurphs to a ton of interesting reading. They will wish they never asked *evil laugh*

For the record - I am still going after them every now again - and as soon as the weather breaks - I have two on my list I will be hunting............

TM,

Looks like BDT provided a plethora of info. One note: In December I submitted about 12 quads' worth of info and heard nothing. Earlier this month I emailed them again to ensure they got it. The reply: they got the reports, they were thankful, but they've been very busy with other stuff related to the Haiti situation. Point is, right now I'm not sure how fast they'll get back to you or anyone requesting info.

BDT and CoyoteTrust,

Thank you for the information.

After posting a link to that thread - Black Dog has doomed TillaMurphs to a ton of interesting reading. They will wish they never asked *evil laugh*

LOL – BDT’s links provide a deep amount of good information. I am almost all the way through it

I also want to thank 2/3 Marine who has provided a great amount of via e-mails.

Thank you everyone! We are looking forward to using USGS info.